Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lady_Ell

Morocco

The intoxicating perfume of exotic incenses wafting on warm desert breezes. Arabian spices wind through a blend of warm musk, carnation, red sandalwood and cassia.

This is my very first review so I apologize in advance if I completely botch up the format.

In the bottle: Oh I like it! Warm and sweet. It reminds me of something but I can't place it off hand.

Wet: Much nicer! I don't smell the carnation in it. I'm not a huge fan of carnation either. I didn't like Lush's Potion, but after reading the description, I knew that I had to try this. Its very warm and sweet and I can't stop smelling myself. I don't get an exotic feel from this, just warm and comfortable. A very nice pick me up on a cold day. I wish my bed was scented like this.

Dry: Still very nice smelling, even 5 hours later! Not as strong but it is definately noticable. Warm and spicy and very nice. I really like this and plan on buying more. I still wish my bed could smell like this. I also like that its not a foody smell.

In the imp: Oh my!!! This is awesome Musk, Sandalwood, cinnamon!!!!! OH MY GODDESS this is good! I just realized that this is the blend used in a commercial Men's cologne I love wearing, only this is better, the musk and cinammon are more balanced in Morocco!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :P :D How on earth does Beth do this?????

On me: swiped on both wrists and my neck, wet: YUM!!! True to the imp, but the cinammon is having a lovefest with my skin with the sandalwood holding it up, I smell a bit of dark sweetness.... Gods I love musk!

Drydown: immediate, musk mellowing slightly leaving a scent true to the wet stage but with a cleaner edge. Other spices are blooming around the cinnamon and sandalwood, but I can't differentiate them.... I think there's some nutmeg.... YUM! :D :D This is on my 10 ml list!

-Miriam

ETA: So THAT's what that is!!!! Cassia.... that's what's giving the cinnamon such a sweet feel....

This is one of the first Black Phoenix perfumes I smelled from the sample vials at Black Broom, the one that gave both my boyfriend and I the strongest "oooooh!" response, and of course, the one that was out of stock. We placed an immediate order for a 5ml bottle, just based on what it smelled like in the bottle and waited on pins and needles until its arrival.

In the bottle: Warm, dry and spicy. Sandalwood and cinnamon (of the cassia variety) with a gently wafting musk. A subtle, warm spiciness.

Wet, on skin: I am tempted to yell out "Sarada, I found your headshop!" but I realize that's not quite right. This doesn't smell like a headshop. It smells like a Moroccan furniture store. It smells like the kitchen of the Lebanese restaurant where I used to hang out as a child. Dry and spicy, filled with so many herbs and spices that the smell has saturated every single piece of wood, every tapestry, yet not particularly overpowering because all the odors have faded with time. I could well imagine a souk smelling like this. (You want to buy this kilim, yes? Look at the fine weaving! My daughters wove this. For you, special price!)

Dry, on skin: The scent stays true, but calms and lets the musk have its lead. The more I wear this, the more I am reminded of deserts and dry winds. I can smell freshly ground cumin, which is delightful. I'm very surprised by how unobtrusive this scent is on me. It's not that my skin is absorbing it, but rather that it seems to blanket me and cling. It slides under the awareness.

Conclusion: Beautiful! I know many comparisons have been made between Morocco and Snake Oil, but to me they could hardly be more different. Morocco has none of Snake Oil's vanilla sweetness, and Snake Oil's spice notes are less distinctly identifiable to my nose. Most of all, Snake Oil is a sex-scent to me, a scent for the bedroom, for the Hareem. Morocco is...dry, dusty, full of haggling and the wafting odor of food. Not sexy, but confident and secretive. It does not try to be beautiful. It doesn't pretty itself up for you or feel that it should need to, but make no mistake: Morocco is gorgeous.

Morocco

Preconceived notions: I figured it would be exotic, spicy, and sexy - yay!

in the vial: Yep, I’m definitely getting spices, and there seems to be something sweet, and something citrusy.

On me: It is definitely very spicy. There’s a bite to the spice, as well, something green and bitter, and a general sensuality behind it. I see why this is one of many people’s “sexy” scents. It’s definitely inspiring me to walk slowly, languorously, looking over my shoulder to see who might be following.

In a few minutes: The first thing that happens is that the sweetness comes out more, making it almost heady, but in general, it doesn’t seem to morph much. And every time I smell my wrist, I think “mmm” in that closed-eyes, cat-lying-in-sun kind of way. It’s incredibly complex. I can’t pick out any of the notes.

Over time: You know that thing I said above about it not morphing much - this is one of those I didn’t give enough time to. It actually morphs drastically. It softens into a very gentle floral. I can pick out the carnation from Alice, and there does seem to still be something warm and soothing in the background (vanilla? milk?). The spice is still there slightly, though hardly discernable, and the whole effect is that of a warm and creamy floral blend.

Overall: I like it a lot. I’ll have to try it a few more times to see if it goes into the “I want more!” category, but I can solidly say it’s one of my favorites.

Mmmm. This goes on like very sweet vanilla but goes spicy very quickly. I don't think of a souk, though. In my mind, it's sunshine coming in through a window and a ginger-colored cat curled up in the warm rays. It fades into a yummy slightly spiced vanilla--warm and soft like a cashmere sweater. Morocco is lovely, I can see why it's so popular.

I thought I loved Snake Oil. Then I tried (Old) Morocco. Yum! This is spicy and warm yet subtle. It feels like a warm blanket around me. I just want to curl up! Wonderful!

on me, morocco is a dry mix of spices.

I don't get any sweetness whatsoever, and I'm not so fond of the first few hours. I don't dislike morocco - it's unique, unlike anything I've ever smelled - but I don't smile when I sniff my wrists. that's the key, whether or not it makes me giddy. the sharp spices ease off after a couple hours, but the waiting time isn't worth it. to be honest, morocco is probably too "grown up" for my tastes. I need sweetness, and lots of it!

off to the swaps, to a more appreciative home! :P

this is a very pretty, warm vanilla spiced scent. similar to O (without the powder) and snake oil. :P all very pretty, but no need for 3 of nearly the same thing!

ADDED Feb. 23:

mmmm...butter! :D weirdly enough, it is one of my favorite things to smell like! i found this to be very rummy, buttery & pretty-- womanly, not pretty-girly. a very grown-up scent, yet with a sweet kick to it. like buttered obsession, which was my thing back in 9th grade! love this-- but O & snake oil are so similar, i can't justify running off & ordering one immediately, as there are so many other BPALs i simply enjoy more.

this is daft for some reason I think of old leather sandals?? what is that all about?

I love this scent perhaps because it reminds me of sandalwood/spice blend I sometimes make at home.

In the bottle you get a kick of somthing alcoholic and light spice.

Wet on skin, warm sweet spice and the sandalwood creeps in.

Dry an even balance of spice & sandalwood, on me no one scent jumps out.

This is not as overpowering and heady as something like Queen MAB, it is much more subtle.

:P I ordered a 10ml of this. yum

I had really thought this scent would work for me, so I was very disappointed when it didn't. I get a half powdery, half soapy kind of smell throughout the whole duration. I'm neither into powdery or soapy scents, so I swapped it.

This scent reminds me of many different things. First, I get the last scene in Original Sin, where they're in Morocco playing cards. Definitely an exotic building. And camels. Why camels, I don't know. I think because this scent reminds me of their coloring. Then a warm buttery spice, like a piece of toast slathered in butter and drizzled with cinnamon sugar. But it's not a foody scent. Definitely a scent I'll wear in late summer, like September/beginning of October where it's still warm but not deathly hot in Los Angeles.

In the bottle: Vanilla (? there's no vanilla in it, why do I smell it?) and almost a tinge of a type of alcohol, though I can't place which one. Maybe a light spiced rum.

Wet: the alcohol smell is gone, instead it's rich and buttery with a hint of spice. Not sure if it's my type of scent yet.

Drydown: The spices come out and give a very warm feeling to it, it definitely smells of how I'd expect Morocco to be.

I'll keep this one to wear later on in the year, and see if I want a bottle of it then. But I definitely like it.

I only put Morocco on earlier this morning, but I think it's already one of my favorites. It's a bit sweet, almost in a milky kind of way, with a lot of warmth and spice, but it's not *too* sweet. It's not quite a perfect comparison, but the milkiness, spiciness, and sweetness remind me a little of a hot mug of chai.

It's exotic and comforting, it doesn't demand that everybody pay attention to it, but I can't stop sniffing my wrists. I loves it muchly.

i ordered this in my first order, and was so excited because of the raves i heard.

i put it on, and didn't care for it much (bearing in mind, i was completely new). but i wore it about twice, and really wished i liked it more. it never warmed up on me. it felt cold and hard.

forward in time - tried this one again after 5 or 6 months. . .damn!! it really HAS warmed up! it is warm and thick and spicy. deliciously buttery, without going overboard. very heady. i worry that it might be too perfumy for me, because i don't like the really heavy blends.

but i can't stop sniffing my arm. it smells like heat. like sunshine. like somewhere i've always wanted to be. it is beautiful.

could it be true, what the old timers say? that morocco gets better with age? :P i will buy a big bottle, and try this experiment again!

Oh Morocco Morocco Morocco how I do love you.

I'm not even going to try and be realistic in my description of it, I just can't. It's so beautiful. Not sexy (like Snake Oil) or even super exotic (like Scherezade). It's just so beautiful. I keep thinking that I'll get over it and my obsession will fade as it has with so many other oils. Love affairs with Dana O'Shee and Eclipse have all ended, but here I am months later having gone through 4 imps and 2/3 of a 5ml of Morocco and every time I open the bottle to sniff and see I fall in love all over again. It isn't even just that Morocco is so comforting (which it is). I have other comfort scents (Velvet and Carnal) but more that Morocco seems to be so fully encompassing of something bigger... what is it? I know... Morocco is ME. I put it on my skin and think, "This is what I was meant to smell like.".

Now, I know this isn't likely to help anyone decide they want to try it or that they want to pass it by, but you have four pages of other people doing remarkably descriptive reviews so that should have helped you by now. :P

What I do hope is that each one of you finds an oil that you fall in love with as deeply as I have with Morocco.

In the bottle: Ooh, musk and spices! This one seems promising.

Wearing: Yay, here comes the sandalwood! It's not overpowering, though, it just mixes nicely with the spices. A few minutes later a floral note emerges, but this is a masculine flower, not a feminine one. Something earthy and slightly licorice-y comes out -- cassia? Like the sandalwood, the slight licorice really doesn't overpower, it's just a breath of the smell. This is best described as bittersweet and earthy and kind of exotic. This is definitely the smell of a Middle Eastern marketplace.

Later: Grr! Within a couple of hours it's gone. That makes me sad, it was so beautiful. Well, I'm keeping it, for sure; I'll just have to keep applying it. Overall, this is love. Mmm, Morocco.

Edited by voodoobaby

Morocco- this is gorgeous right out of the vial. I immediately thought of a musk body spray I used to use many years ago but I can't recall the name.This is very powdery, soft and beautiful. It makes me think of snow that has been formed from the most fresh and pure water and has the sun shining on it. Everything works so well together that all I can smell is a bright musk wrapped in sweet, cotton-flannel softness.

Wow, I don't really know what to say about this one. It is probably the most complex scent I have tried yet, but at the same time is really quite simple. I am the queen of paradoxisms :D

It is warm, yet dry. It is like spices layed out to dry in baking hot sun. And then those spices have been stirred into a glass of warm milk and honey. This is the scent I would wear on a hot afternoon when exploring some beautiful and remote little village in somewhere like Morocco. Ok, so I have never actually been anywhere like that or done anything like that in my life, but if I ever decide to I will take my bpal Morocco with me :D

It is a grown-up scent. It feels like a self-assured strong woman. Not a posh, dressed to the nines in a business suit type of woman, but the slightly bohemian layed back strong woman I want to be when I grow up :D (heck, I'm nearly 27 - but I'll get there one day).

This is a really fabulous scent. I will wear it all year round but think it will definately come into its own in summer.

Again, another unsniffed 5ml I am happy I purchased :P

Granted, I haven't tried many BPAL scents (yet), but I truly believe if I could only have one BPAL scent for the rest of my life, it would be Morocco.

I love Morocco--love, love, love it.

I can't pick out any of the individual scents, but it is a grown-up smell. It's warm and dry and makes me think of Kate Winslet in Hideous Kinky.

(The only drawdown to the scent is that it doesn't seem to last as long on me as some of the others do. )

I have an imp of Old Morrocco and Im not sure how much they differ.

This smells an awful like Dior's Poison to me. This is the second imp in a week that Ive tried that has reminded me of Poison -- I cant think of the other off the top of my head right now.

It spicy, but not in a cinnamon spicy way, more like a warm spicy floral note. My mother would love this as she can't live without her Poison. Reminds me of something very Gyspy like....another reason my mother would love it...shes very Bohemian

Probably just not for me though.

Edited by ianastar

There's a note in here that's very common in commercial perfume, minus the nose-tingling alcohol, of course. It's creamy and light, yet dry, and I don't get any Arabian spices. I wasn't expecting it to smell like this, nor was I expecting to like it, but I REALLY love it. I can see why this is so popular. This is definitely "sunny" though- a summer perfume for people that don't typically like summer fragrances. This would be a good date fragrance- it seems romantic, but not of the "sexy date" variety.

This doesn't smell like Snake Oil to me AT ALL. Snake Oil is more syrupy, spicy, deeper, and sexier.

Overall, lovely, creamy, and bright, but in a most unusual way.

this smelled like chai, without the actual tea leaves. milk, honey, vanilla, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves. and a little bit of sandalwood and musk. as it dried off the vanilla became more prominent - it was creamy spicy vanilla with sandalwood. i was hoping for more spice and less vanilla, but it's still definitely a keeper.

I'm not sure what I can add that hasn't already been said. I love Morocco. It reminds me of a sweet, faintly spicy cake. It's very warm and soothing, with the added carnation and cassia to give the blend a bit of spice. It's very smooth and well-blended. It's a comforting scent for me--like being in a warm kitchen at Christmas.

This one is definitely going on my big bottle list! :P

I don't think I'd wear in it weather that is too warm (ie. summer), but for slightly cooler times, this is an incredible slightly sweet, spicy blend. Actually, it reminds me a bit of one of the few "commercial" perfumes that I still have a bottle of: Dior Addict. It must have some noted in common with that scent, although thankfully, Morocco is not quite as strong and does not have that "artificial/synthetic" feeling to it.

Morocco

In the Vial: Vanillaish, Spicy Vanilla.

Wet: More Vanilla than Spice. It's really nice, like a more spicy or dry version of Snake Oil.

Dry: Lots of spice on top, Creamy Vanilla on Bottom. It's really nice...

Conclusion: If you like Spicy Vanilla scents this is for you. If you liked Snake Oil you may like it. I'm sending it to my boyfriend because I think it'd smell wonderful on him :P

After having my eye on this fragrance for quite some time, I finally received an imp of it recently.

What took me so long?

This reminds me of Scherezade, but kicked up a bit more. Where Scherezade is a gentle, warm sort of spice, Morocco is more brazen and bold. Both work well with me, and I'm loving the spicy-sweet fragrance of Morocco.

Not only that, but recently I received my first order from Thiravama, and the Clarity line of lotion and body wash really works well with Morocco, almost as if they were made for each other. Then they were made for *me,* tee-hee!

Happy happy happy happy happy!!

-doreen