Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lady_Ell

Morocco

The intoxicating perfume of exotic incenses wafting on warm desert breezes. Arabian spices wind through a blend of warm musk, carnation, red sandalwood and cassia.

In the bottle: Sweet, spicy light floral.
Wet on skin: Soft spicy carnation, not overly floral nor spicy.
Dry on skin: Same, but powdery.
Final thoughts: I remember when I first sniffed Morocco for the first time, it was instant love! I bought a bottle right afterwards, but when I tried it again, I discovered that it unfortunately fades quickly on me. So I use it for layering, to add an extra spicy layer of sexiness on skin :)

I received an imp of this with one of my orders and it's quickly moved to one of my top 10. A beautiful, creamy, slightly spicy carnation blend. I find it to be a wonderful scent to wear at work as it's gentle enough to not offend, but strong enough for me to catch yummy wiffs throughout the day.

This is one of the best frimps from the lab, it`s sexy vanilla with spices and the sandalwood note that `s so dry on me is soft and sexy too :wub2: not to speak of the carnation kiss on the top of it.

It `s comforting and hot at the same time, I really really love its long faintness!

At one time, I knew what notes are in Morocco, because I based my interest in it on those notes! However, I was very surprised to read the start of this thread and find there is no vanilla going on here. Because that is what I get, above all. I do get some sandalwood, and some musk. Not really getting the carnation. I'm not complaining.

This is a comforting and warm scent. The softness of the blend has an undertone of delicious spice.

Reading a bit of the thread, I see it compared to Antique Lace - yes, I definitely can see that!

-In bottle, Morocco is some sort of awesome! Soft, rich, amazing.

-On skin, changes a bit.. Honeyed spice, with a hint of a distinct but unnamable flower. Maybe it's carnation? The red sandalwood seems to make this sooooo rich and smooth, with the florals giving it a little nudge up from being comatose inducingly smooth.

-The florals are morphing just a little bit after a few minutes, into something that seems almost a little more candy-like. There's some note here that is just SO rich it's amazing. Almost vanilla, honey syrup, laced with a hint of spice, and those florals. This is really pretty awesome. The syrupy rich sweetness reminds me a bit of Mouse's Sad & Long Tale, I think..The longer it wears, the more the florals sink to the background (HURRAY!).. Mmmmmmm HUFF HUFF HUFF.

-This is just sweet with the faintest underbelly of spice to make it interesting. The sweet might come from one of the florals (whichever wasn't being pesky in the beginning). Maybe it's just the red sandalwood that's making this so decadent? The more I think about it, the more that might be true. It's similar to sandalwood, but softer and warmer, slightly less woody and beat-you-over-the-head as Kathmandu. This is just subtle and sexy and awesome. Full bottle please??

Retest--Tried it out in the locket this morning (1 wand swipe) and was waaay too overpowering. Headache inducing. Only wore it for about half an hour and put the swatch away. Ultra creamy and sweet. Good, but too strong for today.

Bottle: The smell makes me think of an incense shop. I love it! It's warm and creamy. I think I can smell just about all of the notes, but the sandalwood, vanilla, and carnation have the smallest edge over the others.

Wet: Sandalwood and red musk. Spices and vanilla. I can't really detect the carnation as much anymore. I might be because I'm distracted by the pleasant blending of the sandalwood and spices, but I really can't. I can still pick out the vanilla, though. Not much throw, but others close enough to me can smell it. Not getting any of the creaminess that was in the bottle scent. It's more of a dry, heated and vaguely sweet smell. Very sensual. I think the cassia shows up here, but I'm not sure; not familiar with the scent.

Dry-down: Same as it was when I put it on my wrist. Really not much throw at all. Maybe it's intentional with how sensual this blend is?

1 hour in: Pretty close to the dry-down but a touch sweeter. I'm beginning to think it might actually be tonka bean they snuck in this instead of vanilla. Still has a short throw, obviously.

Several hours in, I couldn't smell it anymore. Bit disappointed. It's a beautiful scent, but it just fades too fast for my liking.

Hmm- this is NICE!

It smells like a toasted vanilla- sweet but with some bitter spices far beneath it. It certainly adds a nice dimension. It almost reminds me of genmaicha tea which is made with toasted rice. This is really lovely and doesn't change on me much though it is a shame there isn't more throw. It might work well as a lotion so I will have to experiment. I do envision wearing this a lot in the winter when I crave something sweet and warm.

This is very a very dry scent, more like an arid desert than anything. I get a faint whiff of the spices, but it's like they've been eroded away by the desert winds. It's a pleasant scent, but it's not really exciting me.

After reading so many folks saying this reminded them of chai tea , I had to try this . And I do suppose that it is somewhat like a very milky chai . But it is neither as spicy as the chai I've drank , & it is also much sweeter smelling as well . When I first put it on , I was bummed out by just how sweet it was . Eventually ( hours later ) the sweetness calmed down & what was left was quite nice . I suppose I'll be giving this imp away to someone who will enjoy it more then me .

So, apparently this scent is somewhat similar to snake oil. Because, something in this scent makes me think of baby butt. It tends to come across as baby powder, which of course reminds me of baby poo, butt, and you know... baby in general. Now when I say baby powder, I don't mean it turns powdery. It doesn't, in fact it almost smells good. But, for some reason, all I can get when I sniff and think is "baby butt". Which happened with snake oil, too.

3 hours later the scent is practically gone. Am I just having an off day and my skin is eating oils? Or did I just test funky oils today ;_;. But after the scent vanishes and I think it's gone forever... it starts to perk back up. It gets warm, spicey, and baby-butt free!. It gets a little powdery (actual powder, now) which I'll blame on the sandalwood, but it's a pleasing, dry sort of powder. Sweetened deliciously.

But the throw is awful, and the endurance wonky. I mean, what happened? baby powder for 2 hours, then nothing, then spice? o_O... well aint that wonky.

There are a lot more beautiful scents out there by bpal- wonky ones in a good way P: - so I think this will be traded off. I had hoped for a real encompassing, spicey sweet beautiful blend. But things just seemed to go all wrong.

Edited by CaffinatedAngel

(I would say that I can't believe I haven't yet reviewed this, my favorite GC scent, except that I totally can. I type up reviews faithfully whenever I try new blends, but I hardly ever remember to post them. :blush:)

Anyway, this is the love story of me and Morocco. A few years ago, I ordered an imp pack of popular GC blends that I hadn't tried yet, among them Antique Lace and Morocco. I tried Antique Lace first and disliked it, and to me Morocco smelled exactly like AL plus spices, so I gave away the imp. A year or two went by and I was frimped some Morocco by a forumite and I fell totally in love. I ordered a bottle immediately and in the meantime went through that frimp plus another imp. It's the first bottle I ever used up completely. I love it and wear it at least once or twice a week during the day, and frequently as a bedtime scent too.

To me, Morocco smells like cream soda and warm spices and soft, warm musk. I saw red musk mentioned above and I have to disagree. Red musk almost never smells good to me, in fact it usually smells dirty (in a bad way) to my nose. The musk in Morocco smells light, warm, and clean. In fact, everything about this scent is light-but-warm. The spices are comforting, not at all aggressive or overpowering, and the creaminess is luxurious without being too rich or foody.

Sometimes I record the synaesthetic effect a scent has on me for my own reference and for any other forumites who are synaesthetic. Well, Morocco has always made me "see" and "feel" fluffy, caramel-brown cashmere. It's happy, cozy, beautiful, sexy warmth in a bottle. :heart:

ETA: Dammit, I always forget something and have to edit my reviews! I can't believe I forgot to mention the sandalwood. That's what gives Morocco its soft, cozy base. It's the best sandalwood blend ever.

Edited by Dymphna

I've actually put off trying Morocco for a while. However, I'm totally happy that I finally tried it!

It smells like spicy carnations with just a touch of vanilla on my skin and it's just simply gorgeous. It eventually fades once I've had it on for onwards of two and a half hours, but reapplication is totally worth it; I totally see a bottle of Morocco in my future.

This is the second time I've tried Morocco, because I really wanted to love it.

The first time I tried it was back in 2007, when I was brand-new to BPAL. I had high hopes for it; I knew I loved spicy, musky, woody perfumes, and Morocco sounded perfect. I was surprised when I put it on that it reminded me a bit of root beer (is there some unmentioned sassafras in here?)... or maybe bubblegum. :eek: As it dried, a vanilla note became very prominent and it started to smell like some kind of rich custard dessert. This was an improvement over the root beer/bubblegum phase, but it still left me unimpressed. There was no sandalwood to be found, no sultry quality - just this very sweet, kind of innocent, bland scent. :huh?:

So two years later I decide to give Morocco a second chance, wooed once again by the delicious reviews and promise of its sensual warmth and spice. I figured that now that I'm further along in my BPAL evolution, maybe my nose is more refined and I'll be able to better appreciate it.

Alas, no. This time, I am struck immediately by the resemblance to Inez (which is not surprising given how similar their notes are)... and just like with Inez, I am reminded of my paternal grandmother. I have no idea what perfume or lotion or powder she wore (or perhaps what laundry product she used), but whatever scented that dear lady, it was obviously a combination of carnation, vanilla, and sandalwood. Once again, late in the dry-down I get that vanilla-infused custard-like dessert scent, which I like better than the earlier phase (no offense, Nana).

So yeah. Morocco smells like my dearly departed grandmother. I'm sure Nana was a sex kitten in her day, but to me, this scent is anything but sultry. Ah well, I still have Bastet for my luxuriant, sweet, spicy, sensual needs. :smilenod:

I bought Morocco at the Roswell Whole Foods. Full confession: after I bought it I longed for How Doth the Little Crocodile and hated myself for succumbing to peer pressure ("Why would you want to smell like chocolate and bark?" Because I do, darn it. It's gorgeous).

However! Having now had the time to timidly get to know Morocco I am pleased to report that I am very satisfied with my purchase and do not foresee any immediate need to swap the bottle for Crocodile or anything else.

This is a very PINK blend to me, but a rich, salmon-y pink, not a girly frou-frou pink. Initially it's almost entirely vanilla, but I get a light floral off the carnation (not so much the spice and clove, more the pink flower smell), and although I cannot actively pick up the spices on my skin, I can tell that they're in there, doing their job, lending maturity and depth to what would otherwise be a very girly and innocent smell. The sandalwood crops up more on the drydown but remains, on me, very gentle.

I've learned I can't wear Morocco on the insides of my wrists. I don't know if it's the constant contact with my desk or what, but for some reason it immediately goes sharp powder. Inside my elbows, in my hair, on my clothes, or on my neck, it never goes even faintly powdery--the only lingering note is a rich, smoky vanilla shot through with pink carnation (nom, carnation), and the spices become slightly more pronounced, but only slightly.

Morocco is both intriguing and very gentle. I love putting it on the ends of my hair so that if I turn my head I get a soft waft of it. It manages not to go play-doh on me like vanilla + spice normally does (curse you, Snake Oil!) and is an all-around pleasant scent, just mainstream enough not to scare anyone, but just unusual enough to make you look twice. I can see, now, why it's so popular--the more I wear it, the more I like it.

The best thing about Morocco is that it makes a cloud of scent without having immense throw: it's like wrapping yourself up in a pink-cloud blanket. It reminds me (and reminded me immediately, in a visceral way) of that scene in Jane Eyre when Mr. Rochester is telling Adele that he is going to carry Jane away to the moon, and have her wear the sunset clouds as a gown, and a rainbow as a scarf. Maybe if he really had, this is how she would smell <3

EDIT:

I changed my mind. The second best thing about Morocco is that. The best thing is the smell that it leaves on your clothes or scarves or the pillow you were using, two days later: it smells like milk and cinnamon. In the words of a friend, "I really want to gnaw on your wrist."

Edited by Mousesong

When I ordered my first batch of imps, Morocco was the one I was most excited about trying and I was not disappointed. In the bottle, it smelled like heaven; smoky, sensual desert all layered through with spices that instantly brought to mind a bazaar full of wondrous things. On my skin, it sank right in. It wasn't overwhelming, but it was continuously warm and exciting as I went through my day. This was completely gorgeous and I can't wait to put it on again. :)

Morocco smells really good.

The descriptions really didn't prepare me for it. (My fault, I admit. I expected something dry and spicy-hot. Like the scent of a spice cabinet carried on a dry arid desert wind.) What I got was a creamy spice, not biting at all. It's almost foody-ish, but not. It's warm, but not in the least hot or dessicated. I wish I could describe this better. I just can't stop huffing my arm.

I only got a dab from someone else's imp, and the wearlength was a bit disappointing for me. I wish it lasted longer; I want to smell this for HOURS! Ah well, I have a bottle on the way, so hopefully drenching myself in it will make a difference. :D

I really wish I could say I love this scent because evidently it loves me, alas even though it won't say die on my skin and is probably a good representation of the scent it's giving me a headache and just isn't my style.

In the bottle - a really lovely exotic spice scent that's not too sweet and has a sharpness to it that makes it perfectly beautiful. I was surprised how much I liked it in the bottle.

Wet - sandalwood and musk interplay and vie for my attention with just an occasional waft of cassia and sweet spices. So far so good.

Dry down - a nice blend but the sweetness is amping on me and I've lost the woody edge.

Overall - over time cassia is what becomes dominant on me, the musk and sandalwood fade away and it becomes sweet. The throw is incredible considering I barely stood next to the vial in terms of application and as I said earlier I think I will still smell this a week after I wash it off. If you like spice scents then this is a beauty especially if it maintains the musk and sandalwood on you. However I just can't see myself wearing it and as I type this a headache is developing. Somethings just not working for me here.

Edited: Thought I'd give this one another go just in case. While no headaches today I do have to say it's not a complex scent on me. If coca cola were a perfume, then this would be it. That's all I can think of when I wear this one.

Edited by HamletsKeeper

On the skin: Wow, that is musk! Musk, sweet spices, and sandalwood. Very nice! Also, this scent lasts FOREVER! This one is a very high scent. There is no depth to it. If there were a few notes that made this scent a bit deeper, it would probably become one of my ultimate favorites. It will still go on my Love It list though. Definitely bottle worthy!

this smells lovely to me in the imp, a nice spicy floral. however, i put it on and it immediately turns rootbeer on my skin. :( i guess it would be awesome if i wanted to smell like rootbeer.

I love this. It's dry and sweet, with light spice and a vanilla that resembles Antique Lace. In fact, it's like a more exotic Antique Lace. Delicious, I need a big bottle ASAP. The throw is light but the scent lasts a long time.

Out of 10: 8

Upon first sniff my immediate reaction is that Morocco bears a very close resemblance to Burberry Brit. I used to wear Burberry Brit every day for a number of years and still do wear it on occasion and Morocco reminds me so much of it.

On application, the spice warms up on me. This scent tends towards sweetness, a touch of foodiness with the bite of spice at the end with what I want to say is an almost peppery note. But, I can't be too certain on what it is. It still reminds me of Burberry but it has its own edge to it, a more spicy tendency with a hit of exotic where Burberry was just a young, sweet scent.

Morocco dries down to a less intense heat with a touch of spice and cream or milk.

Oh I like this! Creamy spicy, warm, sexy. The musk is really strong in this, and I really like how the sandalwood complements it. Then I get more of a softer floral in the dry-down, but with the spices still present. I do believe this is one of my top ten.

Oh yum! This is really lovely.

On me it's a beautiful light, bright,warm, clean spiced vanilla musk.

Sadly I don't get a lot of throw or staying power from this..but it's so gorgeous I think I will need a 5ml bottle anyways.

subtle spice & vanilla; it is sweet and lovely, really - i can absolutely see(smell!) the appeal of this one - sadly, though, it reminds me too much of any number of commercial vanilla perfumes that my sinuses just can't handle. :(

i am all saddened, too! i'm attracted to most things morocco and really wanted this one to work! le sigh. perhaps it will find a better home when i gift the boyfriend's sister with it this coming halloween. :)

I was almost scared to try Morocco, because so many things I'd seen reviewed as smelling like vanilla didn't to me. I wanted to like it so badly...and I do! I love it! It is everything that I'd hoped it would be- warm and sweet and somewhat spicy with a yummy creamy vanilla underneath it all. I wish I were good at picking out the individual notes so I could be more specific, but it's just such a wonderfully blended, exotic scent. I need a bottle of it right now!