Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lady_Ell

Morocco

The intoxicating perfume of exotic incenses wafting on warm desert breezes. Arabian spices wind through a blend of warm musk, carnation, red sandalwood and cassia.

I can't believe I haven't tried this until now!

Morocco is very soft and faint on my skin, but ohmygosh it's lovely! Very sweet on my skin, with gentle spice, carnation, and a slight creaminess. Love it! I think this is a contender for a big bottle. :P

Morocco is exactly what I look for in a musk and it's definitely big-bottle worthy.

It's a very soft, sweet, and sexy scent. Smells best aged, or if you can get a pre-2016 bottle!

Edited by icecreamcone

You know, I got Morocco with my very first order, back in June of this year, and though I've tried it several times, I never had a long enough lasting mental impression of its character to review it. So I put it on this afternoon in order to discover what I thought of Morocco.

And I can see why I didn't have an immediate impression: this is a very subtle oil, particularly in its initial phases. Understated, a little resiny, a little sweet, with a slight hint of spices, but nothing too distinct rising to the surface. Indeed, it took nearly 3 hours for Morocco to really come into its own.

After spending a the first 2 hours as a vague, subtle, powdery-musk blur, suddenly the resins in Morocco did their thing and blossomed into their own. Warm, sweet, golden... some of the sweetness I associate with honey or vanilla but without the overtly foody connotations.

Morocco doesn't have a lot of throw but it does stick around for a long time, so it's good for those times when you just want a subtle scent presence.

I'm glad that I couldn't make up my mind about this, because it's been a delight to discover it now!

When I read reviews of Morocco and then try it on myself I become convinced my imp is off somehow.

In the imp, fresh on my skin, and after drydown, this is sweet. Just sweet. Horribly sweet. It gives me a headache and makes my stomach turn.

Oddly enough, it smells just like Kubla Khan does on me. The only thing they have in common is sandalwood, though this has red sandalwood and Kubla has golden, and I wear other sandalwood scents just fine... This, like Kubla Khan, breaks my little heart that it does not work just because their descriptions make them sound so heavenly.

I may order another imp, give it another go. I really want this to work for me!

this is so very nice,again one of the few imps i horded during swap time. everything just blended well w/ my chemistry. apparently id buy a bigger bottle if i held onto this imp.

i do rem it gave me a warm spicy feeling,just cant rem from wet to dry down.

Morocco is a hot, silky-smooth sort of scent. I get the desert wind for certain-- it's a steady, soft, sun-baked sort of breeze in the background. I'm getting a little bit of peach and vanilla, which is surprising, and some sort of powdery faint floral. But it's mostly very low-key, unassuming spices. This is a calm, inoffensive oil in pretty much all ways. Nice blend, and it's not overly similar to my other spice scents.

Very, very faint. Not much throw.

I'm trying my imp of this for the first time, after just trying Dorian and loooving it.. I'm positive I'm going to love this one as well!

In the imp: :P simple and simply amazing! spice, carnations and cream.. just as ordered. So yummy!

Wet: More of the same.. pretty faint as others have said.. I do think I'm getting a bit of burning on my skin, which is a first for me, but no redness yet.

Dry: Not really any changes on drydown.. this is a warm, VERY subtle spice (I am NOT a fan of cinnamon in perfumes, so this is nice and light) and beautiful carnations. I was hoping it would be similar to Lush's Potion, and it certainly is, but better IMHO.

I will be purchasing a bottle in my next order for sure! I want to slather this baby all over myself!

I received a frimp of Morocco from a lovely lady here on the forum. It was a pleasant surprise, as this isn't the type of scent I would normally choose for myself. Snake Oil does not work on me, and hearing the two compared so often led me to think Morocco would end up badly as well... but I was wrong! Morocco is creamy, spicy, mysterious and just divine. Like others have said, it's a very faint scent, so I'll definitely have to slather when I wear it.

:P Mad love for the Morocco!

[Edit: I overhauled this review.. I had so many edits and additions, it all looked very confusing. :P]

While I love spicy scents, I really didn't think Morocco would do well on me because of the musk and carnation, but damn... I was wrong.

At first whiff, I get an almost amber-like "heat", but with other, more exotic spices shifting in the background and a bit of sweetness. I wish I could pick out the various components, but they all blend so beautifully on my skin, I just can't. It smells like something familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. All I know, is whatever the mixture is, it smells... expensive. Not modern boutique expensive, but an old world type.. if that makes much sense.

As it starts to dry down, it gets sweeter, and a bit of the creaminess comes through. It's very warm, and as the spices slowly begin to fade, it just gets oh so yummy and smooth. It's not foody, off the bat, but once it wears down for a while, I swear I get the definite impression of something edible... creamy, spice-cakey, honeyed, exotic... it's just delicious.

I will add, that when I first tried this, I didn't give it a good roll- and it went a little powdery. After about two weeks, I rolled it well and tried again. It became... magic! Absolutely wonderful. I dunno if it was because I mixed it, or it had a little time to age.. or both, but I've been wearing it non-stop, now, reapplying every few hours 'cause I love it so much. Already gots a large bottle on the way. :D

Edited by beturtlement

wow. I totally smell like Nag Champa :heart:

nice, I adore this incense, which I burn once in a while

to remind me of good times in my beloved Amsterdam

it doesn't even fade, it stays for now, I might get a bottle

this scent is even more incensy then Midnight on the Midway :joy:

ADDED Feb. 14:

omg carnation AND cassia :wub2:

this is SO good

it smells like the waft you get when passing a room where Nag Champa incense is being burned!

very nice, it's also completely comforting to me . warming in a way and pleasant

I love this, even though it's not exactly my style to wear on anormal day

it smells to much like my friends houses heheheh

but: I love wearing this to bed, when it's cold outside and I need some comfort :)

maybe I'll get a bottle just for that, to use next to TKO and Oneiro!

Edited by Shollin

WOW... amazing.

It is a sweet, heady, creamy, exotic scent. I have a horrible nose for picking out notes, but this has now become my signature scent, and I feel sultry and sexy every time I wear it :wub2:

But while it's an incredibly exotic scent, it stays close to the skin so that it still works during the day or at work ;P

I am in love :) and will have to hoard it!

Oh, yum! Morocco ftw! :wub2:

I am loving this. I was afraid at first, due to the initial sweetness, that there would be a repeat of Snake Oil: dreaded play-dohiness. I braced myself with a towelette to remove it quick in case it went horribly, horribly wrong...

Stand down, men! Instead I have wonderful sandalwood and carnation and creaminess! This is brilliant. I would happily wear this out to visit relatives or other mixed-company sorts of situation. It's exotic without shouting. Personally I totally get the comfort side of this one. I was expecting something more like Scherezade, but this is almost a bedtime scent. Evening chai.

I seriously need to remember that red sandalwood likes me - this is delicious. I think this has been my favorite BPAL sandalwood blend so far. Most have either taken over or disappeared. This one is my buddy.

I don't think an imp will be enough. :lol:

Instant. Love.

What took me so loong?

This is far less spicy than I was expecting--very sweet, and there seems to be some vanilla in there... this is actually what I was hoping Antique Lace would be like!

It's a beautiful, creamy carnation blend. Almost edible, and I'm relieved that there's nothing powdery about this at all. Has that "non-spicey spice" quality that Scherezade does, though this is not nearly as dry or evocative of a head shop. The warmth is very gentle, like the soft breeze in the note description rather than a landscape bathed in the hot sun.

I second beturtlement's comment: Morocco smells... kind of expensive and very Old World, like something brought in by a silk road trader. And I'm glad that it's not too strong, because that means I can wear it anywhere, all the time. (I'm trying not to use the rainbow hearts emoticon because this thread is saturated with it!) The added bonus is that this has rather nice throw on my skin. This is now somewhere in my all-time favorites!

Edited by MisterShrapnel

I cannot pick out any notes in this. It's just so well blended. But it's a nice creamy almost vanilla scent. It's like wrapping yourself in a warm fuzzy blanket and I'm going to be wearing this one a lot.

This is a blend that many of my bpals love, and that I have been dying to try for ages now-I've been into bpal over a year and am just now FINALLY getting a chance to try it! Very promising in the imp-soft spices, carnation and musk in the imp! Very pretty!

Even prettier on! The sandalwood peeks out in JUST the right amount (I tend to amp it really badly), but it is behaving here. Warm creamy spices (I swear I smell vanilla in this too...) and carnation. Just lovely! It's a bit light on me, a very close to the skin kind of scentt. This kind of feels like Antique Lace's sexy twin sister.

Yep, on full drydown this is VERY similar to Antique Lace on my skin. It's the warmer, cozier, sexier version, with some added spices and musk. It is too similar to Antique Lace on me to buy a bottle right now (I have my AL bottle I'm still working on), but when I finish that bottle, I can see myself picking up this as a replacement!

I got an imp of this yesterday from moonarcana and it's LOVELY. I was out of other testing spots so I tried it on the ol' cleavage, and it kept wafting up and I kept going "man, I smell GOOD." It's very vanilla, to me, and I think the more subtle notes were getting whack-a-moled by everything else I was wearing, so I'll be trying it again soon. I think it's going to end up on the bottle list, because though it's definitely vanilla, it's a very interesting vanilla.

In the imp: I can barely smell anything at all... I get a whiff of something that smells like Antique Lace's vanilla but that's about it.

Wet on my skin: a very, very soft, creamy vanilla. Very similar to Antique Lace. Loving it so far! It stung my wrist just the teensyest bit when I put it on, but that's gone now.

Drying: I can smell some spices creeping into the background now. They smell like generic Snake Oil spices to me... (uh oh) I tend to amp carnation a lot and that's not happening here.

Dry: The throw is not as strong as I would have liked, but I can definitely see why so many people love this so much! The spices have toned themselves down and backed away from that headache-giving territory. So now it's creamy vanilla with lovely red spices thrown in and it's just wonderful! This is what I wanted Scherezade to be I think, but wow. This is awesome.

Upgrade to big bottle!

Ooh, I wish this were much heavier! It's such a pretty creamy vanilla musk, but very light on me. I love heavier spicier scents, but his will be good for those days I want to barely smell myself. On drying I can smell a tad of sandlewood, or incense. Pretty!

Imp: Carnation and sandalwood are promising from the first sniff.

Wet: A surprisingly subtle carnation mingles with the Arabian spices. There is just the slightest grounding or sandalwood. The throw is excellent. I can smell it wafting up from my arm and at this distance the carnation is much more pronounced.

Dry: A lovely warm carnation blend...very much me. I think it will find its way onto my bottle list eventually.

Will I get "pretty and exotic" or "totally burning incense to cover up an *ahem* 'less than legal' smell"

Imp: Spicy, sweet, and smooth. Not your typical incense smell

Wet: Reminds me a little of the drydown on Inez, but without the wood note, of course. It's really nice

Drydown: It's such a subtle blend! I was worried about aggressive hippie-smell but this is so the opposite. Just a bit of carnation and musk. No cassia. No red sandalwood.

Overall: I really do like it and could see using it when I needed to add a little kick to my day, but I'm not sure if it wins out over Inez for this scent type. I shall have to have a throwdown between the two, but Morocco is definitely worth giving a try!

In the imp: Antique Lace :eek: HUH?

Wet on skin: The same linen-y vanilla from Antique Lace, lightly spiced with carnation

Dry on skin: Yup, Morocco is Antique Lace's urban cousin--a creamy vanilla with light spices. Lasts 3-4 hours on me and is very close to the skin.

I expected a much spicier, heavier scent so multiple tests of this one really freaked me out until I read the previous reviews and realized that I was not, in fact, going crazy or the possessor of some weird olfactory blind spot. This is close enough to my beloved Antique Lace that I won't need a bottle, but I will have fun using up my imp.

Something went wrong here, I get an ultra sweet, powdery and cloying scent. No distinct notes, nothing spicy at all. Just cloying powder. I know this is a very beloved scent but on me it is doom powder. The Ifrit did the same to me after a short while, must be something about these desert-type scents :(

At first this is a straight sweet vanilla on me. I was really hoping for something that mixed the spiciness of Scherezade with a touch of creamy sweetness, but the spice seems to be missing for me :(

Half an hour later I can just smell a touch of something else... maybe very, very light spice, a touch of musk, but overall it's the vanilla that wins out.

Not a bad scent, certainly, but not what I was looking for.

this has quickly become my favorite. its soft and yet spicey with not an overly done carnation.

it does turn slightly powdery on dry down but its nothing that really impairs the scent.

overall: love it.