Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
chai_girl

Mata Hari

Mata Hari -

Her scent is striking and bold with a delicate yet dark undertone: five roses with soft jasmine, warmed by vanilla, fig, tonka bean and mahogany, spiced with a drop of coffee bean.

This reminds me of my mother. I can imagine her in the morning, fresh from her jasmine-scented bath, making coffee. A lovely memory, but not quite what I want to smell like. But, I'll trust Beth and sit it out. As it dries, the coffee remains, which is good because I love the smell of coffee. The jasmine is still there, too, but it's a soft jasmine, and it's been sweetened by the tonka and vanilla. I don't get any fig or mahogany, but it's just as well, since I really like this as is. I'm glad I was patient with this!

In the vial: Oooh.. that's one strong drop of coffee in there! Hmm.. am I picking up that mystery note in Sacred Whore and Gluttony that makes me feel queasy...? I hope not.

On: Well, the mystery note isn't in there now, thankfully...! The coffee smell is still most evident for awhile, but begins to fade after a few minutes. Hmm. I can smell the jasmine coming out now... interesting combination!

After awhile: It stays pretty much the same.. i think i might be able to pick up the tiniest bit of mahogany peeking out, but it's hard to tell..

Verdict: I dunno that this reminds me of an exotic dancer or a german spy, but it's pretty!

I smell nothing but pure, strong jasmine. Pretty, but not as complex as I would like. I've only had it on for a few minutes so I will edit this post if the scent morphs. I can't believe that there's coffee, tonka, and other notes here...I can't detect them at all. :P

I don't want to smell like coffee, much as I like the smell in a kitchen. But no worries, because when I put this on, I didn't get coffee at all. No, I got something far worse. Stale cigarettes. You know how, if you're not a smoker, but you get near someone who is, the smell of their clothes is just nauseating? Well, that's what I get right off.

Oddly though, the drydown completely changes it, as most people on here agree. And when the stale cigarette smell is gone, it's jasmine. Pure, dry, strong jasmine with a tiny bit of tonka in the background. I'm lucky I like jasmine and tonka.

I don't think I'd get a big bottle of this, but I may have the nerve to finish off the imp....IF I can get through five minutes of smelling like I smoke. :P

Edited by TrinitySydney

I received this one a few days ago and my first sniffs were primarily coffee with a little floral in the background.

Today I sniffed it again, and it seems more floral - more jasmine, but the scary thing is when I snif the little stick part of the imp it smells just like my cat's litter.

Trying to ignore the litter smell - I applied some. On me it's straight jasmine with something sharper trying to poke through. The coffee is totally gone, which is a shame because I really liked it.

Drydown - very dry floral notes. This smells like something my mom would love. I like florals more like Eternal, that are all wet and sappy and sweet. I'll give this one another shot though.

(My first BPAL review. ::scuffs toe, looks cute::)

Most of my recent perfume hunting has been to find a something that reminds me of something else. Mata Hari, I pegged from the description as possibly being similar. Luckily for me, I live close enough to the Black Broom to drive over and sniff-test.

I initially picked it up, sniffed it, didn't like it and put it back. I came back to it later, swiped some on my wrist, and a few minutes later was in love. I've worn it a few times now.

Initial smell in bottle: Of all things, Lily in the Valley! Ugh, too sweet! (No wonder I put this down initially!)

On wrist: I smell the roses immediately, with more complex notes underneath. Since I pegged this one because of the jasmine and vanilla, I expected to smell those, but I've adored roses for a long time, so this is nice!

Lingering: I put a small dab on earlier today and rubbed it on my wrists, so I think the sleeves of my shirt have rubbed most of it off. But for a few hours I was surrounded by a scent so unbelievably rich. I wouldn't know fig, tonka bean, or mahogany if they bit me on the nose, and I definitely smell no coffee in this, but something about this keeps it from being a too-sweet floral.

Edited by lizbetann

I got coffee, and tonka bean, sadly tonka in quantity makes me nauseous. I love roses and I get a whifff of them every now and again, the smell is both foody and decadent, like perversion was on me though, nauseating. I love it on other folks, but on me it goes yuck :P Someone buy or swap with me on this one? I bought a 5 ml cause I knew I'd just love it. sadly tonka has done me in again :D

Edited by mmcfa2

At first there is the scent of a coffee bean. It mellows, and I get some of the tonka. But it disappears so fast on my skin! I can hardly smell the florals, much less the fig or vanilla. Bummer.

Wet is an adorable coffee/jasmine duo, but then mahogany comes out followed by the roses.

After a while the coffe almost disappears, remaining a wonderful rose and jasmine floral with a subtle juicy (fig, tonka bean and vanilla) bottom.

Strong and powerful, the balance between roses and jasmine changes several times.

When dry the mahogany and a little hint of coffe can be noticed, intensifying the scent.

Its feminine but not at all in a girly way. It's womanly and sexy, carnal and intriguing.

I need a bottle of this! :P

I was curious about this one because of the coffee note.

On me, there was a strong coffee note at fist, which I liked a lot, but it mellows out and I'm left with a very "perfumey" perfume, something very sophisticated, with many notes blurring together smoothly. I can't pick out the individual notes, but it is very floral. I think of it as a "dusky", but not heavy or dark.

A very good evening scent, mysterious and sophisticated.

I liked this, but wished the coffee note would have stayed longer, and the florals been less prominent on me.

In the bottle - rose dipped in coffee, with the jasmine, vanilla, fig tonka bean and mahogany lightly mixed in.

On my skin... everything but the rose disappears on me. Mind you, it's a rather distinct rose smell, but it's just not something I'll wear. It rather depresses me too, as I thought I'd really like this one. :P

Bottle (Imp): I actually don't care for this very much while it's in the imp. My nose has no idea what the scent(s) is/are, but they aren't really sweet and they aren't really not sweet, which probably makes no sense. It almost smells like my Grandpa's compost heap (ew).

Just On: Right away, it starts to smell better, and is very reminiscent of Faberge Woodhue, which was my first favorite scent, and which I have not been able to find for years and years. It smells like a lovely mix, though I couldn't tell you any of the scents to save my life. So far I like it much more on than in the bottle.

An hour or two later: This fits on my skin very well, and smells pretty wonderful. It seems like it's the same as when it goes on, but lighter and airier. I can sense floral there, but it's muchly not overpowering, which I like.

Around 6 hours: It's faded quite a bit, leaving a bit of floral sweetness on my skin, which I like.

12 hours: This scent will definately have to put reapplied more than some, and it has a baby powder sort of smell with a hint of something else. I like that a lot.

Overall: I really like the scent on me, but if I were going by the smell in the imp, I wouldn't have thought I'd like it. This is one of the few non foody scents that I've ever found and liked.

After reading other reviews: As with others I've reviewed, I didn't smell the same things as many others (no coffee here either, funny how so many I have smell like coffee to others and not to me). I probably won't hurry to buy a bottle of it, but it wouldn't disappoint me to have it.

In the bottle: Jasmine, mahogany and a little bit of tonka bean all jump out at me first. The tonka bean is in the back of the other ones. Jasmine is ruling but the mahogany gives it a very interesting background note.

Wet: Tonka bean and fig with a slight vanilla throw. The tonka bean is the dominant note in this blend on my skin, though.

Dry down: Tonka bean with a whiff of mahogany. Where did the florals go? I don't know, but this is pretty nice even without them around. I wish it didn't have fig. Something about fig just bothes me. Not in an allergic way but it just isn't the best scent to me. The vanilla might be lingering somewhere in the very back, but it's not terribly present. This is mostly tonka bean and fig and...it's burning. OMG. Burning. Burning!

Dry: Fig and tonka bean. Burning. Washing off.

Mata Hari:

Wet: Coffee! A scent I love. Not sure I want to -smell- like coffee, though. Let's see where this goes.

Drydown: faded coffee, almost a vanilla in the background?

Long-term wear: Sadly, the coffee and vanilla/tonka notes fade completely away, and I get a rather exotic floral that just doesn't work on me. :P

Edited by anmorata

Although not perfect, and not quite for me - this is the type of blend I keep looking for. I normally can't do roses, but this didn't smell rosy on me at all. Wet, it was floral, not coffee, and on drydown the coffee came out. Just a hint to give the floral a luscious, different smell...The deepness of the mahogany and the vanilla tonka sweeting...gorgeous. Unfortunately, the flowers are a bit dominant and perfumy to me...I would love to see the coffee, mahogony, tonka etc...mixed with white flowers which would be less headachy and more wearable for me. I think the mix and complexity of this blend is amazing!

Directly from the imp this is like sticking my face into a vat of wet jasmine. While I enjoy jasmine as a complimentary element in blends, this might be a bit too much.

On my wrist it’s still very jasmine though it smells almost burnt around the edges. It’s not necessarily smoky but more like the charcoal smell you get when you’re grilling food. Still mixed with jasmine.

I’m waiting for something to take the predominant white floral away but so far no dice. The jasmine is mellowing but still pretty much the only thing I smell.

Since the initial phase(s) can’t seem to get past all that jasmine, I’m going to have to declare Mata Hari as not for me. She has a fascinating history and a lot of potential as a blend (if your skin doesn’t soak up everything except for jasmine like mine!), but off to the swaps she goes.

Oo, my first review - squee!

Initial: Jasmine and roses and vanilla...smells good.

Wet: Mm, very Jasmine-y, love the rose and the vanilla, hope that comes through even more. There's just a hint of coffee underneath everything else...

Drydown: I like Jasmine. On other people. This may stem from the time I spilled half of a 5ml bottle of Attar of Jasmine on the front desk at work (bookstore, the bosses were away - oddly enough, they never said anything when they returned two days later. Guess they thought it was just me!). Haven't been able to wear it or, really, even smell it. I've still got a sample of Lush's Flying Fox in my bathroom.

hours later: Where did the roses go?? My cleavage, apparently, because they're certainly not on my oh-so-jasmine-y wrists. Alas, one for the swap pile, methinks.

Overall, a lovely scent, just not one I can wear. Or at least, not one I can wear without wanting to throw up. :P

Oro

Mata Hari

I got this in a swap with amrita. Thanks!

Preconceived notions: I loved the coffee idea, but wasn’t sure about all the flowers.

In the vial: a very strong floral scent. I’m not getting any coffee, though there is some sort of buttery scent in there.

On me:

A floral, citrusy combination. I don’t think there’s any fruit - I think that there’s a flower that has sort of a citrus aspect to it. And yes, there’s that buttery element. Maybe that’s the coffee. I do like this. It is indeed reminiscent of a spy dancer for some reason (or maybe I’m overly influenced by the name and description).

In 10 minutes:

There’s definitely something dark and soft in the background that is beginning to come out a little more. I think the coffee is part of that. It definitely is unique and exotic at this point.

In 30 minutes:

It’s fading already. I can barely smell it even on my wrists.

Overall:

This is nice and sweet, and I’ll probably keep it. It’s not going on the “must have bottle” list though, since it simply doesn’t last long enough.

Origin - imp received in a swap

Wet - Coffee! I smell the coffee bean and something woody underneath; I think it's the mahogany, with a whisper of rose.

Dry - the coffee is beginning to fade now, and this is becoming very lovely. Roses, vanilla, mahogany, with quite a bit of throw.

I love rose blends and this is an absolutely lovely rose. I don't get any jasmine at all. It also lasts a long time on me. It's a definite keeper, but I don't think I will be getting a big bottle anytime soon.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the best, this rates a 3.

The florals in this are just lovely, mostly jasmine on me with rose blending subtly in the background. The coffee, however, goes evil at first in combination with my nose. Wet, it smelled exceptionally bitter, and although the coffee is a much less dominant note on my skin, it's still bitter. Drying down the jasmine takes over with a bit of wood and rose in the background, and the coffee is starting to blend in rather nicely. I don't get any of the vanilla, however. This is very exotic and femme fatale to me, but Mata Hari and I are just not clicking. Lovely, but not my style.

At first to me this was all floral, far too much floral infact, but gradually the vanilla mellowed the rose and jasmine and left me with a very gentle, very grown up scent, probably too grown up for me. At no point did I get coffee :P .

Wet- stale rose and coffee. Some of Beths Rose scents do this on me, but we'll hang on in there.

On the drydown-Morphing into something a bity spicey, with a soft floral edge.

This is going well.

Dry- smokey, with a sexy floral scent peeping through. This is a seductive scent, I will have to invest in a 5ml for those days when I want to feel confident, and empowered, without losing my femininity.

matahari.gif

Thank goodness I had no preconceived notions about this one, except a few forumites complaining bitterly that there was coffee in it. Well I thought that sounded like a daring idea, so I bit.

It turned out to be another nice scent with a badass name. After the coffee dies down, it simmers into a pleasent potion which isn't really that memorable except for one surprising turn. The utter drydown throws a lot of very nice perfumy scent. In otherwords, when Mata Hari is throughly dry it is really beautiful and you can smell it quite well (though not as much as when it's wet by a long shot) but still very pleasing indeed.

Edited by olympia301

In Bottle: Coffee and fig.

On Skin: The coffee is strongest and I like the vanilla and tonka bean… but what are florals doing with coffee? This scent just doesn’t seem to meld correctly, it smells a bit funky and off to me. No offense to Beth, it just doesn’t work for me personally. But I do love the idea…

After about 10 minutes the coffee fades and the vanilla and florals smell pretty together… but the slight lingering note of coffee makes me decide this one is off to the swaps.

I always give new scents a second chance, but Mata Hari barely skidded by even on her second opportunity.

The first time I put this on, it smelled like fig. Fig, fig, and more fig. Sickly sweet fig and I didn't like it at all. I probably would have given up entirely if this were named something like "Fig Garden," but I love Mata Hari and really wanted this blend to work on me.

The second time around, she was a little more successful. I still didn't like the wet scent - heavy fig and flowers this time with something just...odd...underneath. That must have been the coffee. Holding on through the dry-through, though, it ended up quite nice and still very unique. I liked the floral being supported by the coffee instead of something more usual like musk, but I would have been much more happy with something with only those lower notes. I'll probably give this one up, despite the great name.