Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
RosieP

Golden Priapus

Insatiable lust, unending vigor! A truly carnal, energetic men’s blend: vanilla and amber with juniper, rosewood and white pine.

Basically, this is Snake Oil, but fuller and better. Snake Oil has a tendency to dry down very dry on me, but Golden Priapus isn't like that. This does smell like vanilla and juniper and woods, but juniper and woods if they smelled like Snake Oil spices. I really don't know what else to say besides drawing a comparison to Snake Oil. Edited by Shollin

When first applied, the pine is definitely the strongest note. After awhile, the scent starts to soften up, and the pine fades into the background to make room for the sweetness of the vanilla and amber. I love the combination of vanilla and amber, and they smell surprising yum over the soft white pine note. It's a strange but lovely result. The longer I wear it, the sweeter the vanilla becomes, which is great by me. A very unique scent, would be great on either men or women. It's like warm milk next to the Christmas tree :P

GOLDEN PRIAPUS

IN THE BOTTLE: Wow! Pure pine! This smells almost like Pinesol and I am starting to worry about actually swiping it on me for fear I will smell like bathroom cleaner!

WET: First 30 seconds I am smelling strong pine - but not the Pinesol scent I was fearing - where the hec are the other notes? No hint at all of the amber, vanilla, and rosewood. About the first 5 minutes I am thinking this might be better suited for an oil burner or a soap than on the skin.

DRY DOWN: Now this is very nice! The longer I wear this, the more it morphs. The vanilla and amber come to the foreground and soften the juniper out. Still no hint of the rosewood to my nose. The more time passes, the more the pine is just a supporting character and not the leading role. Very soft, vanilla/amber with just a hint of spicy juniper!

Conclusion -My personal opinion? This is a revved up version of Snake Oil! The hint of juniper in it make it smell like a Christmas version of it. Very Nice!

ETA: Hubby tried this and it didn't morph at all on him! He was the one who smelled like pinesol - go figure.

Edited by Rhowan

A frimp with the boy's latest order, which ended up at my house. I already know I'm giving this to him, but I had to test it anyway. Shhh! :D

In the Imp: Whoa, hello pine. Pine, pine, piney pine pine. And that green nose I associate with rosewood-- not like roses, but like rosey wood. Which is appropriate. Maybe some juniper if I search for it... no amber or vanilla yet. It's got a slightly baby-powderish tinge to it, as well, the kind I associate with Snake Oil.

Wet: Vanilla, pine, amber, rosewood, in order of ascention. This is sweet and spicy-warm, and still very much like Snake Oil.... in fact, I'm a little hard-put to tell the difference. I know the notes are different, and if I think, "pine", I smell the pine that isn't here in S.O., and so on-- but if I had blind tested these, I'm not sure I would have been able to differentiate. Golden Priapus is a touch more masculine, and shows its vanilla a little more. I'm getting a very slight Playdough note, as well (instead of the baby-powder of S.O.), but not enough to ruin things.

Dry: Hmmm, and now we're heading into vanilla-tinged Playdough territory. It's still very enjoyable, but it's not OMGLOOOOOOVE. Pretty much the same from wet, too.

Things are going strange on me left and right lately. I bet it's the college applications. I swear those things are the source of all my problems-- bad skin, horrid posture, messy room, chronic headaches and now wonky BPAL! Oh well. This one's for the Boy, anyway, and it'll be deliciously jump-able on him. :P

I bought this for my husband, and I have to say, it is marvelous on both of us...

The most prominent notes for us are first the vanilla, mixed with the pine, which is a really fabulous combination. The amber is present, but just enough the merge the other two and give the blend a "golden" feel. This is really lovely and we may need a bottle...

This is like Tombstone but with the softer and slightly more feminine pine and rosewood as opposed to cedar. It also smells like Dorian with a drop of Dee.

This is a totally gorgeous blend. Reading the description, I did not see how it could work. I mean the warmth and pwdery sweetness of vanilla and amber mixed with woods and the almost mint-like bracing quality of juniper?

But it WORKS. It's just this absolutely fantastic vanilla with an edge. Once it starts drying, I can't really pick up the rosewood, juniper or pine as distinct notes. They only provide the blend with some needed sharpness and texture.

Comparing this to Antique Lace, I have to say I'm a surprised convert to more masculine interpretation on Vanilla.

Frimp from the lab:

Wow is this sexy! Pine is the strongest note out of the vial, but the sweet vanilla/juinper notes quickly take over!

This is such a sexy blend. Must get a big bottle for my man.

raar!

this is gorgeous, quite possibly my favourite bpal so far...

I love that medicinal juniper/pine scent, it's one of my favourite notes, so mix that up with sweet golden vanilla, god yes! I can see the amped up snake oil comparisons, but this is way better.

it (strangely) reminds me of carmex lipbalm, not a bad thing, just odd!

lasted for ages and transferred to my scarf, yum

In Bottle: Sweet pine

On Skin: I love amber and vanilla so I thought this scent would be a hit for sure. But sadly, woody blends are just not my cup of tea lately. The juniper and pine jump forward and lead the scent. The sandalwood offers a softer lighter buffer, and the vanilla and amber offer a nice sweet warm base. This is a man’s scent for sure, very rugged. I don’t feel the carnal lusty description though. For some reason, the woods are screaming construction site at me, like freshly sawed wood and sawdust. I agree with the Carmex note above as well... there is something slightly medicinal and Carmexy about this scent.

Still a nice scent, just not for me or my husband.

Edited by slave1

at first this smells very strongly of pine and juniper, reminding me of my beloved Black Forest. as it dries, it morphs into a gentler version of Tombstone. the vanilla and cedar-ish rosewood blend beautifully with the soft, powdery amber. so basically, it's like a blend of two of my favorite scents! :P i love it and want a big bottle for my husband and i to share.

This one bit my wrist.. I was worried, because even the cinnamon blends don't have me rubbing at the spots where it went on. It was also pretty woodsy and sharp at first..

However, I decided to wait it out a few.. and Im glad I did.. it stopped biting and the woodsy notes mellowed as the vanilla and the amber stepped forward.

Its now this amazingly wonderful scent that Im enjoying immensely.

Soft, insistent, masculine.

OK, I do realize this is not only a men's scent, but arguable the men's scent. And yet, when a male friend gave Kettu and me a handful of imps that didn't work on him, I had to try this on myself before passing it on to our male partner (yes, complicated poly relationship -- well, not that complicated, there's only three of us).

And I actually really like it. I do agree that it would probably be a wee bit better on a guy, but damn, it's not half bad on me. It's a lot sweeter than most men's scents, but not in a conventionally feminine way at all. I'm pretty sure there's honey in here, and I know there's vanilla -- in a way, it's a bit like a more complex and gender-neutral O. But there's also pine, and something spicy, and something a little earthy... Maybe a touch of some kind of wood that's not so good on me, but overall, it's pretty nice.

Really, the only reason I'm passing this on is that first of all, I have so many other scents I like that something really has to wow me for me to want to keep it these days, and second, if I did keep it, and wore it, and someone asked what it was, I don't think I'd have the nerve to tell them. :P

30 minutes later: Oops -- I was already to post the above, but now it's turning into Play-Doh on me. Damn vanilla -- I hate it when it does that! It was so nice at first... :D

Grade: Initially B+, later stage C. Overall C+/B-

Edited by Miss Lynx

Even though this is supposed to be a male scent, I couldn't not try it on. It just smelled too much like a sweet, rich, golden honey from the imp. I don't get any pine out of this. The longer I wear it, the more the vanilla comes out, but there's no rosewood or pine. Honestly it reminds me a LOT of Chimera, but without the cinnamon, so it's very sexy to me. I like Priapus on me enough as it is, and as I told my boy, if he were to wear it...well, "insantiable lust" would probably occur. :P

ETA: I wore it again today, and suddenly the pine and rosewood made an appearance. I mainly just smelled the pine straight out of the imp; it disappeared after the oil dried. The rosewood lingered underneath all the other notes, having just enough presence to make itself known but not standing out. Primarily I still had the wonderful honey golden scent that I just love.

Edited by angharad

In the imp I smelled amber and a slight pine smell.

I hate masculine scents. I especially hate both pine and juniper. So I didn't even want to try it on, but I'm determined to try every scent even if I know 100% that I won't like it.

On me - Pine and juniper. Very very very masculine. It actually burned my skin which is the 2nd scent that has done that (the other being Santo Domingo). Good thing I only tried a miniscule amount! Definitely not for me.

EDIT: Looking at the other reviews. YES! It smells exactly like Carmex. Thought that smelled familiar!

Edited by strawberry star

Yep, Golden Priapus is a lot like O + Snake Oil. There's that mellow vanilla note that's golden and sweet and always just on the line of turning into Play-Doh on me, but staying on the right side of that line. This is lighter on my skin than Snake Oil, but the amber/vanilla combo is very, very nice. It's sexy and slightly foody and some kind of wonderful.

I'm reminded of the famous Landman translation of Rilke's Archaic Torso of Apollo. :P

This has been on my wishlist forever, but someone finally gifted it to me as a frimp. I tried it on Sunday and fell in love! This is what I wanted Snake Oil and O to be, but those scents hated me and turned into the dreaded plastic/dentist's office note that makes me nauseous - I'm almost positive honey was the culprit there. Anyway, back to Golden Priapus.

Wet/in the imp: pine/eucalyptus - I agree with the Carmex/Black Forest comparisons. I like the smell of Carmex, and Black Forest is one of my faves, but the pure pine smell is not my favorite stage of BF or GP. Luckily this stage is very short on me.

Dry-down: vanilla/amber comes out quickly and starts a golden glow that I just adore - it's not too sweet (and I'm glad because too sugary/foody vanilla makes me ill), the fading pine gives it a little edge - but it has a lovely golden halo feeling about it, kind of like the description of Aureus. There's a little powdery softness (that's the amber) around the edges, but I don't mind that.

Throw: fantastic. I swiped it on my right wrist only and it wafted all around me quite strongly and wonderfully.

Longevity: also killer. I put this on around 5pm and smelled it all night (slept with my nose to my wrist, practically :D) and when I woke up (at noon - heh) I could still smell it.

:P Golden Priapus, you are my new big bottle love! I don't care that you're supposed to be for a man, and that I'm embarrassed to tell anyone your name.

Edited by roesmoker

Vanilla and White Pine are what I'm sniffin'...it's a unique scent, not for me as a fragrance, but this is one that I'd adore in candle form.

How I'd love a BPAL candle right now!

In the bottle: golden amber, maybe honey? Something woody. I don't smell pine at this point.

Wet: PINE, honey, and amber. It doesn't smell like Pinesol, just fresh pine. I like this much better than Black Forest, which turned to sour pine baby powder.

Dry down: Pine and golden amber dribbled with honey. Pine has gone frm PINE, to pine which plays well with others. Oh yeah, this is the stuff. I am a "masculine" scent wearing girl, so this is a scent for me. My skin scoffs at florals.

30 minutes: Pine, amber and honey. THis all green and gold to me, one of the scents that make color impressions for me. So far I love it. The amber doesn't seem to be turning into powder on me, so far so good.

Conclusion: Soft amber and pine that fades down to just amber after a several hours. I think we have another catalogue winner! WOHOO!!! :P

Rating 1-5 on my skin, this is a 4.5.

Edited by atropos

Golden Priapus is an absolutely amazing scent on me. But what is it with me and male scents??

On to the review. When first applied, Golden Priapus smells slightly pine-y and possibly slightly antiseptic, but this stage only last for ten minutes or so. I can't smell any juniper.

After the short wet stage, the top notes start to mellow down and a wonderful vanilla-amber smell starts to waft around :D What is most strange is that the throw of the oil smells stronger than actually sniffing at my wrists. This glorious vanilla-amber oil smells quite similar on me to Tombstone without Tombstone's marshmallow smell. In some ways I actually like this better than Tombstone as it has that gorgeous amber waft to it that Tombstone doesn't. Gutted that this arrived after I ordered 5ml of Tombstone. I'll have to have 5ml of both I think!!

Anyway, after 2 or 3 hours, Golden Priapus starts to smell slightly almondy on me. It smells a little like L'Artisan's Jour de Fete which is a GOOD THING! The scent lasted all night on me, I applied at about 7pm and could still smell it at 8am when I got up in the morning. What a fantastic scent.

All in all I love everything about this perfume apart from the name. Its slightly embarassing to say that the wonderful scent that I am wearing is called Golden Priapus :P I don't think that this scent is at all masculine, and DH certainly wouldn't try it as he said it smelled "too girly" for him.

I'm beginning to get a complex that my "girl genes" aren't working properly as I seem to love all the masculine and gender neutral scents and can't wear most feminine ones. Oh well I'll have to start calling this Golden Yoni or something like that!

Rating (on skin): 3/5

Summarised in a word or two: O - Honey + Pine

Preconceived notions: Pine?

In the imp: Pine and juniper!

On skin, wet: Whoo, pine. Strong, heavy, sharp pine. Not bad, but very, very strong.

On skin, dry: The pine eases up a bit, giving the vanilla and amber room to play. I can definitely why some people consider GP to be a "masculine" version of O -- the vanilla/honey is very similar to O, but without the sweaty sweetness of the honey, and, of course, the pine! Kind of like Black Forest meets O, though I'd imagine the layering of those two scents would produce something much stronger than GP. It's also a bit similar to Snake Oil, though not nearly as spicy or sweet.

Conclusion: An interesting and lovely scent to an O-lover like myself, but a bit too heavy on the pine for me.

Edited by Aredhel

In the bottle: Mostly pine with a bit of vanilla, but not too strong. Quite subtle.

First on: Oh, just prrrr. This is a very sexy scent. To me it smells like pine EO rather than pine scent (I live in a very pine-heavy state and consider myself something of a connoisseur) but the vanilla and amber warm it up and make it seem more sunshiny. This is delish! Damn I wish the boy hadn't left for the day.

Dry: This has lots of throw, though it's still a subtle scent. I exude sexiness for miles around.

Overall: This one might be a big-bottler if I ever get any money.

I expected a lot more vanilla in this. It was a lot more forresty than I expected. Which really is a good thing considering how most vanillas don't work with my skin. I do like juniper. In the imp this is a really nice combo with the tiniest hint of vanilla making it a bit sweeter and warmer.

On my skin it kind of goes through an invisible blending in with me phase. I can only smell it if I smash my nose to my arm. I probably won't wear it much. Cute roommate review: "Eh, I like that one the least. *shrug*" (I was trying two others at the same time.)

In the vial: Eucalyptus. Wait, eucalyptus?

On me, wet: GAH. Eucalyptus, and lots of it, with an undertone of vanilla. Bizarre combination! This reminds me of the mentholated Vicks I add to my steamer to clear the gunk out of my throat.

On me, dry: Eucalyptus goes away, thank god, and here comes the amber. I can barely smell the pine in the background, but it is there darkening the sweetness. Vanilla holding steady. Wow, all of a sudden it's Haunted with vanilla in it. I could get used to this.

Verdict: While hanging up laundry I kept catching whiffs of the amber vanilla on the breeze. Almost honeylike with soft sweetness. Mmmm! I like this! This'd smell fab on a man too - but why should he have all the fun? A keeper.

EDIT: I wore this all day today, and I don't know how it happened, but by the end of the day this turned into CHOCOLATE. Swear to god. Where did it come from? Why? Who knows?

It's as if the scent was going through instant evolution to keep from being traded: "I am refreshing Eucalyptus! What? You don't like that?! Crap! Um...Wait; don't trade me! Here's amber, you like that, don't you? Not enough, huh? Well, this oughtta clinch it for you - have some VANILLA! Oh, you like that, eh? I'm gonna blow your mind now - Have some CHOCOLATE! Ohhhhh yeah, you're mine now, bitch!"

And so I am, Golden Priapus. So I am.

Edited by Lysistrata

Vanilla, musk, men...was the reputation. I pondered the frimp. He pondered me. I dabbed him on.

Pine tree. Actually, the vanilla blends with the pine tree to make my favourite conifer, the balsam fir. And while I am not a wanna-smell-like-a-tree person generally, I can see keeping Priapus handy (I am sure I am not the only one who mentally misreads it as Golden Platypus :P ) for the pine-tree days.

This was utter, manly heaven on my husband for at least fifteen minutes. Golden amber, resinous pine, a hint of sweet vanilla... I wanted to eat his neck. Then something in the vanilla and pine conspired to smell plasticky-sweet, and now it smells like my mother's Christmas box, with the scent of pine needles and plastic decorations from the 70s. That's actually kind of a comforting scent, but not exactly what I want in a sexy-man oil!