Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
RosieP

Golden Priapus

Insatiable lust, unending vigor! A truly carnal, energetic men’s blend: vanilla and amber with juniper, rosewood and white pine.

Snake Oil didn't work on me because of a hidden honey element, it seems, and honey absolutely hates me. I loved Snake Oil's vanilla spiciness otherwise, so when I read that Golden Priapus was a masculine Snake Oil, I knew that I had to try it.

On me, it's Snake Oil in the forest. The spices aren't as strong or as dark, but the amber and vanilla combine to make the same kind of scent, I think.

I love the woods in this too. At first, it was nothing but pine/juniper, but I expected that to fade, and it did. The woods weren't too sharp, just sweet and warm.

Together, all the notes make such a wonderful combination. I think that this would work equally well for men and women. I'm definitely getting a bottle of this in my next order, and will probably wear it a lot during the winter.

Wet, this is all strong pine/juniper, but a natural spicy pine, not an unpleasant fake one – it smells just like there's pine sap on my hand. As it dries, it sweetens, so it's a bit like Tombstone, a sweet dusty vanilla-pinewood smell. The final drydown is pretty much exactly like Snake Oil on me.

Golden Priapus smells nice, but it's not really me. I prefer Snake Oil for me.

At first, this smells like pure cedar on me. Just plain ol' cedar, with maybe a bit of pine, like a walk through a northern forest. Must be that juniper note.

This "cedar" phase lasts for quite a while, but it finally dries down to a soft whisper of woods and amber.

It's an interesting scent, but I find it more masculine than I generally prefer.

Bottle (Imp): Hmm, I'm not sure on this one.

Just On: Rather sharp herbs, maybe watery ones.

An hour or two later: Back to herbs with just a just of sweetness.

Around 6 hours: Slightly sweet herbs.

12 hours: Bits of fresh herbs, slightly sweetened.

Overall: I think this is a winner. Maybe not a big bottle, but enjoyable.

After reading other reviews: Boy, the vanilla sweetened up the other stuff, but I didn't really smell it as vanilla. Nor did I get any woods out of it. I got nothing sexy, in fact, this was a very bland scent for me. But it smelled good, and I enjoyed what I did get.

In the Bottle or Imp:

Pine and balsamic notes mixed with a sweet amber.

Wet, on Skin:

Sharp, sweetened pine with vanilla and spice. Very golden feeling, but golden light breaking over a rolling pine forest.

Drying/Drydown:

Vanilla-pine, with a musky amber base. Very unique.

Over Time/Longterm:

Vanilla amber musk.

Final Verdict?

The pine makes the blend masculine, but it also to me makes it slightly disconcerting - I'm used to my pine being in green, herbal blends, not with such a sweet vanilla amber blend. It makes this blend feel... holiday-ish... if that makes sense. Keeping the imp, but it's not a big 'un.

Oh God where do I start?

Wet in The Bottle:

"This is Aerosmith 'Pine', it's P.I.N.E. PINE!"

Wet on My Skin:

This starts to become a swirling miasma of Juniper, Vanilla, Amber and Pine in the blender on "Frapeé". Wooeee!

Early Drying:

Mmmm tasty! I am definitely getting how they call this "Traditionally Masculine" Oh wow I smell "like a big bucket of F**K all wrapped up in original skin". Damn the Juniper and White Pine come through but the Vanilla and Amber are still hanging about no Rosewood yet.

Drydown:

OK I thought this was good in early drydown but my body heat really makes it go abso-f**king-lutely orgasmic! WoO hOo! There is the Rosewood and the other notes kind of blend into a really shy kind of sexy that broods and sits at the end of the bar but when you see it. KaBOOM!

Verdict

"Golden Priapus get's you laid!" I can apply this even late night when my wife and I are both tired and magically we are both in the mood. Thank you Beth another masterpiece. This fragrance is the main reason I had my name changed to BlueStar from Dracul_Man. Golden Priapus has become the new favorite.

Edited by BlueStar

My Impression:

While wet and in the vial this to me is like vanilla dusted Pine trees freshly cut. After drydown it softens and the amber note comes about and it is actually quite lovely. On my scale of 1-5 it is 3

I bought this on Ebay on a whim, I figured if I didn't like it I would swap it. I just got it and put it on.

First impression: Pine, pine, and cedar and fresh cut wood. Warmed up by the slightest whiff of vanilla.

Second impression: Dried a little bit, now I smell warm vanilla-y cedar.

Last impression: Vanilla! This is a little masculine on me, but it's pretty relaxing.

I like it.

goldenpriapus.jpg

Beautiful masculine scent redolent with juniper and fir/pine. The addition of vanilla to it all makes it so attractive. Overall this blend says, "Good guy". Golden P is really for the men, in my opinion.

The icon is an ancient Roman windchime in the shape of a flying phallus. They were considered lucky. It's tail is a phallus, too! So are it's legs. It's being ridden by a cupid.

Golden Priapus has been a favorite for me since I first tried it in 2005. And I haven't noticed it varying as much as a lot of bpal's other scents. It's a misty, masculine evergreen sweetened with the creamy vanilla and warmed up by the amber. It smells like a traditional men's scent, though the vanilla turns a little too sweet & dominant on my husband. I wear this myself and my hubby loves it on me <3 says it smells like vanilla and trees. ^_^

Edited by Little Bird

Bottle: Pale woodsy vanilla. The woodsy is so light, that its actually almost like a white musk, perhaps cuz its combined with the amber? Hubby and I tested this as a His and Hers.

HERS:

Wet: Astringent vanilla. Astringent in the manner of orange zest, though it doesn't actually smell like orange. I can definitely smell the pine, and its rounded by the vanilla, which is slight, but there.

Drying: The pine is very astringent on me. It has an almost eucalyptous quality. Rounded slightly by the vanilla, which gets more prominent further into the dry down. After 20 min, there is more amber, so its amber and vanilla. It's starting to smell a lot like O, a more masculine O. Less sweet, cuz its got a tinge of sharp pine rather than honey. I quite like this.

Overall: This is a lighter, less sweet O. But its vanilla smells slightly more "candle-y" to me than that in O. Its staying power was not quite as good as O, but it did stick around for quite a while. GP and O are so very similar,and both are lovely. I think, though, that I will stick with O, my original love.

HIS:

Wet: He gets more vanilla than I do. Also with an astringent smell, though I think his is more juniper than pine, as it was in mine.

Drying: Sweet warm vanilla, with a sharp evergreen in the back. Very similar to mine, really, but he still gets more vanilla.

30 min: Piney vanilla. Its getting faint rather quickly, as well. I don't think its quite masculine enough on him, since the wood notes are overpowerd by the vanilla.

2 hours: faint vanilla, mostly gone.

Overall: Too much vanilla on him, not very manly. Lacks staying power on his thirsty skin.

Golden Priapus - Straight from the bottle this smells like Olbas oil – very mentholated with eucalyptus. Almost immediately after skin application this scent starts to turn to a heavy floral although at this stage the mint is still very prominent. I think there might be a drop of Lavender in here too. After just a couple of minutes the menthol & floral scents are starting to balance out, & a woody note that smells a little like a fresh pencil starts to develop. This scent has started to turn a little sweet too. The florals & eucalyptus are really coming through now with the menthol taking a back seat but giving the scent it’s cutting edge.

I don't know how I kept over-looking this one, it has so many things I absolutely love. This I love. It's gorgeous, vanilla over dark green foresty notes and just a touch of dry wood. It's beautiful and delicious and everything I hoped it would be.

:P :D

I love Golden Priapus. On my man and on myself. Jesus Christ, what does that say about me? Whatever… I like these soft masculine scents. I love smelling like vanilla baked goods that grow on trees. There must be this forest somewhere, with bobkas and sugar crème pie tarts weighing down the branches, where you can reach up and pluck a ripe vanilla bean muffin from among the pine needles. And I’ll be damned if there isn’t a fragrant sunny grove in the heart of this forest with a statue of the golden god himself.

Maybe it’s just me (please tell me it’s not), but this scent is capable of bringing on such whims. No matter, because I smell incredible.

Gah! I adore this! It's woody and warm, and vanilly and just fabulous. And my boyfriend likes how it smells on me, which doesn't hurt:)

Hrm. Golden Priapus didn't quite end up the way I was expecting, at least from reading the description and its reviews. I found it to be piney and vanilla-y, but in a way that recalled pencil shavings, which tickled my nose. I *almost* liked this one, so I give it a 2 out of a 5.

In the bottle:

Sharp herbal with a sweet undertone

On me:

This is really only slightly masculine, this could definitely work on a man or a woman. I found this to have a wonderful woody quality, and that juniper adds just the right amount of herbal sharpness. Underneath that is a bare hint of sweetness - this scent is grounded and woody but refreshing! That juniper adds a wonderful little kick. This is also not an overwhelming scent - I often find woody scents to be a little overwhelming, but this is very understated but sexy.

Final note:

Delicious but not in a foody way!

ADDED Oct. 6:

In the bottle:

A sharp herbal with a sweet undertone

On me:

A lovely, lovely scent. Though I think some women could get away with wearing this, it's definitely on the masculine side the way it smells on my skin. It has a barely sweet, slightly woody quality. It's refreshing and crisp thanks to the juniper, yet grounded and warm and sweet thanks to vanilla.

Final note:

A subtle, yet sexy scent.

DH is a big juniper fan from the pre-BPAL days. This is the first juniper BPAL we've tried...I am not a juniper fan myself, but I got it for him since it had amber and vanilla, and O is one of my true loves.

In the bottle and wet it is VERY evergreen. :P DH is already loving it. It is not a serious bite, not X~massy...OK...I'm game.

On the drydown, there begins this golden sparkle. This smells like a magical forest! Ooooh, the amber emerges. I LOVE amber...(sniff,sniff). This is fresh, outdoorsy, but with a warm skin scent underneath. It is the best of both of what he loves and what I love in a scent.

Dry, this is luscious, but husky, vanilla amber...O in the deep, dark woods. :D

Big bottle list for sure.

Edited by lookingglass

This one was just too similar to a pine forest for me. I didn't get any vanilla at all, or any other notes, for that matter.. While I love the woods, I don't really like smelling like them.

Bottle: while juniper and pine predominate, the warmer vanilla and amber undernotes keep it from smelling too much like car freshener.

Drydown: pine with a hint of juniper; the vanilla and amber are hiding.

Worn: after a while, the pine/juniper calm down and let the vanilla/amber buoy them up, with the rosewood adding depth without really making itself known. It's still definitely a 'get moving' over a 'relax and take it easy' blend, but at least it's a 'get moving and I'll be good to you later if you're lucky' over a 'get moving and then we'll crash.' It isn't having much throw on me. It does fade more quickly than I'd like, but I rather like how its blend becomes more subtle at the same time, the vanilla finally giving it a warm halo of a glow.

Conclusion: this imp will be good for me when I'm wanting some energy that's not in my usual line. I also feel comfortable wearing it in public, unlike with O!

In the imp I got the woody vanilla.

On my skin I smelled nothing but screaming amber with a bit of wood and I ended up washing it off within 5 minutes of applying. This oil was the one that convinced me that Amber hates me, and the feeling is pretty much mutual.

It has already been swapped to a better home.

In bottle: A one-two punch of juniper and PINE.

Wet, on skin: This blend gives off heat...it's warm, warm pine that radiates.

Dry, on skin: Lots of pine still, and there's definitely some warm and slightly powdery amber in the background...or is that vanilla? It's kind of creamy, slightly plasticky, and gets more vanilla-ish as time goes on. It's morphing bit by bit, but not in the right direction. No rosewood, unfortunately, and the notes never seem to meld on my skin...pine and vanilla on a blind date, finding they have nothing in common.

It's not bad, but doesn't sing on me either. Sweet pine-and-vanilla is all. I do like it enough to pass it to Mr. Atomic, this could be very sexy with the right chemistry.

Mmmm... Golden Priapus is Snake Oil Lite on me -- very warm, sugary vanilla atop gentle woods, as opposed to warm sugary vanilla atop patchouli cocktail.

I'll definitely be buying a bottle for those days when Snake Oil's a bit too much. (And no, someone did not hop out of nowhere and hit me over the head with a giant jelly dildo, though that would've been hysterically appropriate.)

The first few seconds smell deliciously pine & vanilla on my guy, but after it dries down it goes sadly plasticky on him. :P

On me, it smells great for the first minute and then disappears completely. I think it's still there, as in other people would be able to smell it, but lately my nose refuses to recognize a lot of bpal vanilla & turns it into dust instead. So I get a light piney dust. Again, :D

Sadly, off to the swap pile ...

Golden Priapus

In the imp: pine and juniper, fresh and ahem, woody.

Wet on skin: whoa, a fresh blast of pine and juniper, possibly rosewood too, and a hint of the warmer golden notes underneath.

Dry on skin: this is really nice. The bright woody/sappy notes are dominant, this gives the blend a nice masculinity without being too butch, and I'm getting a lovely vanilla undertone too. Mmm, vanilla. It's fresh and piercing, and with a nice, ahem, hit of wood (ha ha) but with a golden sweetness underneath it all. It really is a manlier version of O.

After a while: the pine and juniper fade away and retreat to the background, letting the amber and vanilla do their background. now the scent is a soft, warm, sweet vanilla scent with just a hint of the pine lurking there, adding it's sparky edge to the scent.

Verdict: for a scent geared for men, this is surprisingly nice on a girl like me. It starts off with a hit of pine and juniper, bright and piercing fresh notes which are very nice and indeed, quite masculine. But over time, these fade, and the vanilla becomes the star of the scent, a warm, sweet, velvety soft background, with a bit of golden amber with the remainder of the woody notes on top. This is lovely smelling stuff, although I'm not sure I'd want to wear a scent with phallic connotations in the name. The better-educated friends of mine and older relatives or people I know will definitely give me funny looks if they ask me what my perfume is! But I may want to get an imp of this, because I really like this scent.