Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
RosieP

Golden Priapus

Insatiable lust, unending vigor! A truly carnal, energetic men’s blend: vanilla and amber with juniper, rosewood and white pine.

Aged imp: golden warm pine

This does little to no morphing on me and settles down into a warm vanilla with a slight backdrop of pine and decent throw/wear time. It's a nice vanilla scent, yet not quite what I'm looking for.

I don't think I'm a big fan of pine, actually.

I didn't notice rosewood or juniper in here. I'm going to keep the imp, but it just wasn't as excited to me as some of the other reviewers experienced!

Oh, wow, what??? Pine and vanilla top notes? So odd and yet so so so perfect together! This dries down to a lovely, confident, vanilla pine tree.

Priapus was a god of fertility. If I doused my husband in this... well, I'm sure you can take it from there.

Where I'd wear this: Getting nas-tay in the woods

Edited by gloame

When I was little my mom switched us over to a fake christmas tree because she was sick of dealing with the needles all over her carpet. She went out and bought a xmas tree scented plugin to mimic the now-missing smell.

That is what this perfume smells like to me, sweetened pine

Dang it, amber. Not again. This was beautiful for about 20 minutes (the average time oils take to truly warm to my skin, I run super cold), and then the amber came in. Initially rosewood, juniper, and vanilla, somehow not too masculine and very pleasant and woody. All the conifer notes are actually quite subtle on me, and I'm thawing to them considerably. Vanilla makes everything better, of course.

After 20 minutes the amber ruins everything, as always, and it becomes some kind of weird vanilla lollipop. Seriously, the pine notes are just gone; there's maybe a whisper of wood left but mostly it's just sweet amber and vanilla. A sad pass from me.

First impression: Like a woodsier Morocco, which is The Dream for me. But the vanilla note is definitely (and unfortunately) hitting me the same way as the one in Tombstone. Still smells amazing, though.

Wet: Smells so good in the bottle, especially if I don't focus on the vanilla and let the amber and woods do their thing.

Dry: Oh no. Nooooo. It's the dreaded rubber vanilla. I wanted this one to work so badly, but this particular vanilla note hates me. It's very much dry, powdery rubber gloves. I'm going to put this away and let it age for a while before trying again.

I am pleasantly surprised by this on application. It's just pine, with a hint of vanilla sweetness to round it out. No gross amber.

After half an hour I'm getting some sandalwood, though. :( Then it turns much more woody. Alas. The opening of this was wonderful.

I haven't the faintest idea why, but this reminds me of a woodsy, herbal Morocco. It's far more masculine than Morocco, but there's still some sort of wispy, blendy, wafty feeling to it, if you have any idea what I mean. Smells green, feels golden. It's beautiful!

In the imp: evergreen boughs with maybe a little rosewood. On my skin it remains one of the best BPAL pine scents I have tried so far, clean but not cleanser. But this is a morpher on me. As it dries down, the amber and vanilla become much more prominent. It is gorgeous all the way through, though, and perfectly unisex - the description almost scared me away, but I'm so glad I tried it because it is bottle-worthy on me.

There's an equal mix of the amber and the vanilla on top of this blend. Even with the vanilla here though I'd hesitate to call this a vanilla + other stuff sort of blend, the amber really does have it's own character and is equal power to the vanilla. It also tames the more vanilla side of the vanilla, making this a more ambery sweet blend. It does threaten to go mildly play doh, but thankfully never quite makes it there.

The wood mix is thankfully not too astringent on application, sometimes pine is. I think I get more of the juniper on skin than the pine. It does have an almost root beer like quality to it, especially in combination with the amber and vanilla. I wouldn't call this gourmand though. There is a hint of that pine like astringent tone, but it's mild.

The rosewood is a pretty sweet smelling wood in this. Nothing pencil shavings here. It is woodsy, but light.

Overall this is a pretty nice blend though. Very unisex. I'd say if you want a nice sweet scent that's not gourmand, this would fit the bill.

Got this as a frimp from the lab.  I don’t even like juniper/pine notes, but one day I tried it and was just blown away.  It’s exactly what it says it is, but the juniper with vanilla is just so unexpected and refreshing.  A BPAL must-try.

In the imp: Pine and juniper, warmed by the tiniest hint of vanilla in the background. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's juniper and pine; at least for right now, my skin eats the vanilla. After the blend dries and has time to develop on my skin, I can detect the barest hint of amber and vanilla warming and sweetening the scent just a touch. The pine and juniper are still showcased. 

Almost an hour after application, the scent has settled a bit more so that I can detect some of the amber if I stick my nose close to my skin. The juniper and pine remain prevalent there, however, and they continue to dominate in the scent's throw. 

FYI, this is 0% like Snake Oil on me. 

Wet: From strongest to least - juniper, vanilla, and pine. The amber is adding an overall warmth to the blend; it really does smell "golden".

Dry: A very clean, juniper-vanilla scent. I feel like if I took a shower and used some juniper-vanilla body wash, this perfume is what I'd smell like after I was done.

It's an alright scent, just not really my thing; I'd categorize this more as "unisex" than "masculine".

This one gave me an Aha! moment: Maybe it's because of where I live, on the tropical equator, but I noticed perfumes tend to immediately skip over certain notes, like the pine and juniper here, and head straight to warm territory, where vanilla and amber reign. And boy, do they reign. The vanilla is predominant on me, and the amber has a citrusy orange personality to it. In fact, before looking at the notes, I really thought there was orange in this, along with some cinnamony spices. This one is super gourmand on me :) 

Although I think I will be saving my imp for travelling to winter countries, just so I get to (maybe) smell the pine and juniper y'all are raving about!

I have always been drawn to forest scents, especially pine, and they almost never work for me. Often they veer too much into "man cologne", the kind that guys slather on liberally and then sit next to you on the bus. Golden Priapus might be the first pine that smells fantastic on me. I get all the delicious foresty vibes, but softened with vanilla and lightly spiced with juniper and rosewood. I've tried other vanilla-pine blends and this one beats them all. Gorgeous.

Edited by warriortwo

I love this!
It starts as a sharp wood scent that quickly morphs into a gorgeous warm vanilla with a slightly woody background. This might just be a new favorite, and I'm definitely getting a bottle.

Cobalt bottle (aged 10ml)

• oil itself is dark and tacky

• smells like my grandmothers unfinished basement 

•The rosewood and the pine are the most prominent, I’m not getting any vanilla or juniper upon first sniff

• Vanilla does come out a little in the dry down

• Recommend for fans of wood scents only

Aged imp:

on the other hand, this old imp from a separate source is a whole other story. Glorious vanilla and wood that sits wear it belongs (in the background!). I will hoard my imp and probably not take a chance on an older bottle