Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
RosieP

Golden Priapus

Insatiable lust, unending vigor! A truly carnal, energetic men’s blend: vanilla and amber with juniper, rosewood and white pine.

At first this was ALL pine and rosewood. But after drying down the musk and vanilla come out and it's beautiful! The woods are what make it masculine so after drydown it fems up a bit, kind of like a crossdresser. :P It's gorgeous and simple and elegant. I hated this the first time I tried it, but I'm glad I retried it when I got it as a giftie from the lab.

This was on my wishlist and the Lab added in to my last order as a freebie :P

Ok, Golden Priapus just ascended to the top tier of my list of favorite BPAL blends. It was love at first sniff, and this is one of those blends that stays very true on the dry down. Not very much morph at all.

I have to say that I don't really understand the comparisons to Snake Oil.....to me Golden Priapus is the masculine version of Velvet. Which is part of the reason I love the blend so much, because Velvet is my absolute favorite BPAL oil. Where Velvet is all sweet chocolate, sandalwood and incense, Golden Priapus is languid vanilla, pine and incense. They are so very similar, yet just distinct enough to have their own personalities. For those who tried Velvet and did not like the cocoa note, you might give Golden Priapus a try.

The sweetness here is not at all cloying. The vanilla is very subtle and the amber and rosewood add a more well-rounded sweetness than just a simple vanilla note would. Also, this is my first pine blend. I usually avoid pine because I was afraid it would be overpowering, but now I'm going to seek out more of Beth's blends that contain pine because this is just so damned yummy. :D

ETA: Skadi reminded me very much of Golden Priapus, only greener.

Oh yeah...and purely_cosmetic is a nutter. That's one crazy review, girl! :D

Edited by Theravada

This was on my wishlist and the Lab added in to my last order as a freebie  :P

Ok, Golden Priapus just ascended to the top tier of my list of favorite BPAL blends.  It was love at first sniff, and this is one of those blends that stays very true on the dry down.  Not very much morph at all.

I could not disagree more with the above comment!!!!

So far, this has been the most radical scent change on me yet.

In the bottle I can smell two things: mint, (?) and the incense, (which I loathe!!)

I put it on, and smelt of someone who has had the flu for a week, and has been bathing in olbas oil, whilst sucking on XXX strong breathe mints, WHILST cleaning their teeth.

Eucalyptus!! Mint!!! TCP!!!

The only reason I didnt wash it off was because on Laura, it smelt of candy floss and magic and sweetness.

After 15 mins it began to smell of the same unhealthily mint and olbas oil obsessed person.....who was now eating candyfloss....

Gradually - Very gradually - the balance between candy floss and mint changed, until about 40 minutes after application, it smelt like heaven.

Despite the enormous length of time it took for this to change on me, I think a 5-10 ml might very well be in order.

I loved it.

Golden Priapus:

At first, the pine is quite prominent giving this a masculine feel. After a few hours, the pine moves to the background and the amber/vanilla takes over.

I am not overly fond of the pine but the amber/vanilla is gorgeous.

Love this! :P

What a surprise I got with this one! It was a Lab freebie, and one I probably woulen't have ordered even though I generally like vanilla scents. The name's a little off-putting, and I was dubious about the blend in general; rosewood and juniper and pine? I'll smell like a woodlot!

In the bottle and fresh on, it smells musky/sharp, and I was even more dubious. But after about 15 minutes on me, this is ALL about the vanilla! The other elements recede into the background, hanging around just enough to darken and dry the vanilla scent somewhat. It's warm and sweet without being overwhelming.

It doesn't feel particularly "masculine" to me at all, though I can see it as a gender-neutral fragrance. R.'s reaction was neutral. I think this is going to be something to wear when Snake Oil would be too strong, but I still want that vanilla top note. Definitely a keeper!

EDIT, several weeks later: This has become the oil I reach for more often than any other. I absolutely ADORE the combination of the woody darkness lurking under the warm vanilla top note; it makes me feel strong and confident, but still womanly. Sort of my "power scent" -- and it *is* powerful, it only takes a tiny bit to last all day long. There will certainly be a big bottle of this in my next order.

Edited by stardreamer

In the imp this smelled very woody and almost herbal- rather green. Something reminded me of Fenris Wolf...

On the skin, "male version of Snake Oil" is spot on. I couldn't think of a more apt way to describe it! It's very very very nice and oh-so-sexual, but alas too masculine for me (oh how I wish I had a man who could wear this and then I could be his Snake Oil-wearing partner..) Not painfully masculine though, I could definitely see women wearing this, that woman is just not me.

It doesn't dry down like Snake Oil, though. It starts smelling more like Queen of Sheba than anything. Lots of amber and a wee bit of spicy wood gives it the same sort of vibe. I don't like this phase as well as the initial manly Snake Oil phase, so i'm not as enamored.

Overall this is a quite nice warm, golden, and sensual but masculine scent.

Golden Priapus:

Juniper. Nothing but pure juniper on me. I'm not overly fond of that much juniper smell, so I ended up swapping this one.

awesome

wet was all pine, and i mean all, but not pine sol, real juicy, sappy, fresh cut pine

as it dried it was vanilla amber lovliness, simply gorgeous, this isn't one i would classify as purely manly, i definitely would wear this, and now i am dying for g to try it and see how it goes on him, either way this is def a big bottle scent

This was a freebie included with my first order, and I actually like it much better than most of the scents I picked for myself!

When I first sniffed it in the bottle, I liked the scent but couldn't identify it at all.

When I first put it on, there is something very spicy about it. Not cinammon-spicy, or hot-pepper-spicy just... spicy. Within half an hour it changes into a completely different scent, a warm vanilla, with just enough woodsiness to keep it from being overwhelmingly sweet. It also has huge staying power - put it on in the morning, it's still hanging in when I go to bed.

To me, it seems like a very gender-neutral scent, but I can see how with different body chemistry, it could be perceived as more masculine. I really, really like it.

First sniff from the bottle- Pine and juniper. The combo almost makes it smell a bit lemony.

After 10 minutes- The vanilla and amber are slowly working their way out. At first I thought the combo of these sweet smells with the forest smells would be nasty, but it is really nice.

After 30 minutes- The green smells are fading and now all I can smell is the vanilla/amber. It is the same vanilla smell in Snake Oil. It takes on that generic BPAL sweet vanilla smell as it fades which lasts forever.

The male Snake Oil.

At first, it's sharp pine and juniper. Then it dries down into...Snake Oil (spiced vanilla). However, that sharp note never fades, keeping this lovely but not too sweet--definitely masculine. It's very nice. :P

Very foresty at first. Definitely there is juniper in this. Pine also. But on me the drydown to vanilla is drastically sped up: within 10 minutes the foresty smell was gone. Even the vanilla that was left wasn't very strong. No scent throw on me. I'd use it as a room scent but not a personal scent. I can see it working very well on a man if he happened to have skin chemistry that made the scent last, or if it was fixed in a solid perfume or lotion.

ETA: I didn't realize there was rosewood in this! The rosewood didn't come out on me at all.

Edited by helarctos

This was a surprise gift from the lab, and when I say surprise, I mean it! To me it belies its name - I never would have guessed it as a masculine scent. Surprise number two was that it is a resinous scent that actually works on me. Must be the vanilla.

Surprise out of the way, it is a beautiful, golden scent. The first note is the pine everyone keeps talking about, but on me that fades quickly. It warms into a lovely, soft vanilla with a twist. (The amber, which keeps the vanilla golden.) I love it and will certainly buy a bigger bottle, and I will certainly NOT be sharing it with my husband.

I'm not cool enough to tell people what I'm wearing without giggling, though. :P

I have found that I love resinous scents. I get nothing from this but golden, glowing ambery vanilla. I like this, but since I started with things like Lion and Sin, it just seems to be the base of lion without the interesting spice note, so i'm kinda "meh" on it...bummer! It is lovely though. Had I tried it first, I would have died for it!

Though this is billed as a "men's blend," this is amazing on me, and I'm totally without Priapus. Honest.

I love this! It's cousin to Snake Oil. The same vanilla, without all the resiny-insense notes, plus wood. Huh huh huh. Wood. How appropriate!

This imp that I got as a bonus in one of my orders had a defective cap, so I used the opportunity to slather this one on. YUM. Strong vanilla. The pine/juniper notes are very evident, and mixed with the vanilla it is fairly unusual, interesting and provocative.

I also took the opportunity to let my friend try this out. It led to the creation of a song of sorts called "Golden Dick," but I'll not get into that.

As it dries, the predominant note remains vanilla. The woody (huh huh) notes are still there, but softened into a nice blend with the amber. UNGH. I want to hump it, but seeing as how it's an imp, that could be rather impractical and dangerous. :P :D

This is love at first sniff. ANOTHER for the big bottle list (dammit)!

Oh wow. Let's see if I can review this w/o blushing or giving TMI.  :D This is another one I gave Brian for Yule, and I begged him to try it first. I immediately squealed, "It's 'O' for boys!" And it is. Vanilla/amber sex in a bottle, with a touch of juniper to be slightly more masculine than O. This should be a Voodoo blend, it works so well. Allow me to suggest slathering it on a boy of your choice--from neck to priapus--and just *see* what happens.  :P  :D

What she said! :D

I used this to train my sweetie to wearing scent. He asks for it now if he doesn't see it, and if he does, he hands it to me to put on him. Because he knows he's gonna get jumped but good. :D

I do think of it as Snake Oil for men. It's a nice compliment as a His scent to Her Snake Oil, too.

So i looked this up, saw it was gende neutral or masculine and promptly swabbed it on the boy before he knew what i was doing. I then proceeded to sniff him obsessively over the next few hours because he smelled fantastic. I dont particularly care for snake oil or O on myself, but GP on him was outstanding vanilla/creamy/honey goodness. I didn't pick up on the juniper, but maybe that is what i am liking so much that the snake oil and O don't have.

I tried this yesterday and had to wear it again today. It was a gift imp, and not a scent I'd have ordered for myself, because vanilla tends to go sickly-sweet on me. Hooray for the woods, because they have turned this into a vanilla I can wear. I can't really pick out any of the underlying notes, they just provide a warm, smooth base for a lovely but not sugary vanilla. And it has fantastic staying power, I can still smell it 14 hours after applying (I'll credit the amber for that, since Brisingamen lasted for twelve on me, but thankfully the woods have kept this from going powdery on me like that did).

Yum. :P

Gift imp from wonderful & generous forumite!!

Wasn't sure about this one due to the juniper and white pine which are always just :D to me, sneezing, headache, etc.

In the imp/wet~Pine & juniper *GAG*....but they *very* quickly fade into the background and the vanilla and amber come out to play *whew*, lol! Haven't picked up on the rosewood, as far as I can l tell at least, not familiar with that particular note.

This is definitely more of a masculine scent but oh what a nice one!! Unlike ANY pine/juniper blend I've had the *displeasure* of experiencing. I do believe this will be wickedly delightful on Hubby :P

First, a gift imp in a swap, then a bottle from a forumite.

When I open the bottle and when the oil first hits my skin, I get a lot of green pine. It’s so bright, almost citric. As it dries, the juniper note becomes more prominent. There is another woody note in the mix too, which I assume is the rosewood (I wish I had a single note of this- it is in many of my favorite blends- but I still don’t really know what it smells like). After a while, these woody notes fade into the background, and it becomes a second skin-musk type of scent, which I love love love. I miss the vanilla note in the blend entirely in the bottle version which I did smell in the imp, but I suspect that the bottle is a couple of months old (it still has the protective covering on the label)- perhaps it faded in to the background with age.

Definitely not too masuline for me!

What?? I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet!

Imp: Mmm, juni-juniper! With something a bit sweet underneath. It's not as nearly astringent as juniper can be at times.

Wet: Bam! Juniper and immediately, vanilla and amber...

Drydown: I want to eat myself. And I mean that. The juniper reminds me of a sunny pine forest, while the vanilla has gone all creamy and yummy without being overly sweet. Or maybe the astringency of the juniper and the sweetness of the vanilla are so complimentary that they cancel one another out...and thank the gods, the amber doesn't turn to powder on me (I love amber, and wail when it goes powdery). I don't get the rosewood at all.

Overall: I am so glad I bought a bottle of this! I can't wait to smell what happens as it ages - I can only imagine that it's going to get even more yummy. I think this suits men and women equally, but I suspect that the woman who wears it (dare I say, moi) will most definitely have to be in touch with her masculine side. Even if she has to get in touch with her Inner Bitch to go there. :P And yes, this is a masculine version of Snake Oil...in fact, I like this better.

Oro, who couldn't possible go through a 5ml in a year....right?

Edited by Orodemniades

Very Tombstone-y at first, with a pine after-scent. I definitely amp up woods, though. The vanilla shines through, though, much like it does in Tombstone for me.

When this first hit my skin I was quite scared, I got very stong pine resin, which unfortunately reminds me of toilet cleaner. Fortunately about 10 minutes later it had morphed into O, all amber, vanilla and honey. Whilst I loved this stage of it, if I want to smell of O, I'll wear O and the differences didn't do anything for me.

Edited by Ajila

Oh YUM!

A wonderfully warped vanilla.

Close up, I smell the sharpness of the juniper and pine, but from far away, I just get wonderful waves of sweet, rich, lush vanilla with only a hint of the cleaner, more astringent notes - and those eventually turn into a wonderful spiciness.

I can't believe this states it is a man scent. What is it with me and men's blends. I love all of them. I'm starting to get a bit of a complex, as I'm a Libra and love "girly" scents also.

Me too. I really like this - I thought it would be too masculine for me, but my recent favorites have included Dorian, Othello and Titus Andronicus, so I shouldn't be surprised.

I can't believe it took me a year to try this - it's an unbelievably sexy scent - almost as nice a vanilla as Dragon's Milk and Dorian!

It evokes extremely soft, warm skin like...uh...eyelids. :P

Golden Priapus - a gift imp from Black Broom!

Well, it just smelled fantastic on my male labmate next door, so my boy will have to try it on, too. :D But me first.

In the bottle: Pine and juniper, with a smoky undertone. I don't really like pine or juniper. :P

On me/wet: Ack! Juniper! I'll hold my nose away and wait for you to dissipate! And it did - replaced by a warm mixture of vanilla and light pine. Kind of like holding a freshly baked cake underneath a pine tree. :D Wow! the vanilla is really starting to come out now, and it's really enjoyable (and wafting from my elbow to my nose quite nicely).

Drydown: It's getting sweeter and a bit powdery - I think the amber is coming more to the forefront. I'm getting serious Christmas associations with this - I think the pine and baking combo is to blame! :D

Overall, this scent is too piney for me to wear on a regular basis, but I'm definitely going to try it on the manthing and see if he digs it. :D