Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
RosieP

Golden Priapus

Insatiable lust, unending vigor! A truly carnal, energetic men’s blend: vanilla and amber with juniper, rosewood and white pine.

Wow! I'm batting a thousand with imp trials today! This is beautiful. Its a very well blended vanilla pine. Wet its mostly a soft pine that smells sweet, but the vanilla doesn't really make itself truly evident till drydown.
Definately a gorgeous masculine scent that I think could be worn equally as well by the female gender. Edited by Shollin

This smells very herbal, to me. Lots of pine and juniper. On the dry-down, I catch a hint of sweet vanilla, exactly what vanilla extract smells like in the bottle. It's a good masculine blend, but just like the person above me, I think it could easily be worn by a woman.

Golden Priapus moves on three stages on me, all equally amazing. The first it`s all sweet pine, amber and a surprising good juniper, being a note of death to me. It`s refreshing and eye opening. After few minutes a rich a really golden vanilla emerges, and it`s first grade vanilla similar to Snowblind. I could cry on how much it`s beautiful. At the end the pine goes back and it`s a mix of the two stages, fresh, sweet, green, not obvious at all. This should be loved by Pickled Imp fans.

The juniper here is bright and fizzy and fun, but the other notes act as described and this is just too manly for me to wear. Smells great on my boyfriend, though!

Oh, wow. I am going pretty weak in the knees over how good this is. Masculine? Sure, kinda. But I don't mind.

Musky juniper, exquisite glowing amber/vanilla (they seem kind of fused to me) and warm, dry, invigorating wood and pine notes. It combines into something just powerful and confident and happy, with no one note really taking center stage.

I could stand a bottle of this.

At first, Golden Priapus smells like 'O' with a faint medicinal whiff of Vicks vap-o-rub or Tiger Balm. At first the two are distinct from each other, then as it warms up the 'vicks' smell begins to morph into more of a pine scent, and the medicinal/menthol-y smell blends together with the honey/skin-musk smell(amber and vanilla) to create a sweet, warm scent with a slight sharpness poking through it. It's very 'more-ish', at least on me, in that I can hardly smell it without putting my face right on it. Sniffing it every now and then, it's as if the pine-y medicine smell and the honey/amber smell are armwrestling with each other. Now and then I'll sniff that smells like a straight shot of 'O' and nothing else, and the next it will be obviously meshed with pine or smell like strong pine and nothing else. As with 'O', it has a balmy-ness to it, which is mostly what seems to waft around from an arms length away ten minutes later; without actually 'sniffing' it, I don't really get hardly anything other than a slightly-more-queasy-O.

Frimp in my will call bag.

I was hoping this would work for me, if only so that I could say the name when someone asked me what I was wearing.

In the imp, I smell sweetish herbs and pine. This is most likely because of the vanilla. It has a very high end cologne smell to me, pleasant but hard to describe. Wet, it stays the same and at the drydown, it takes on a slightly musky scent, with a pine and teak wood like quality. Once it's dry, I'm left with an interesting, woody scent. (Pun intended . . . my puns are always intended.)

I like masculine scents, but this feels a little too masculine for me. I've given it to Mister Boyfriend with a conversation that went something like this:

Me: Try this.

Him: What's it called?

Me: Golden Priapus

Him: Golden LEDGE?!

Me: Not precipice. PRIAPUS.

Him: (After checking the dictionary, he starts laughing hysterically) Ooookay. I'll take it.

I don't know if he'll wear it, since he tends not to wear scents, but at least we got a good laugh out of it.

Oh, this is gorgeous :D This is the very first vanilla oil in which my skin didn't completely eat the vanilla up. Golden, sweet, herbal but still very masculine. I adore rosewood, amber and juniper as well so I'm quite enthralled by this. Don't know if it's bottleworthy yet but I will try it a few more times.

Fascinating! Just got this imp in the mail and as soon as I sniffed it I was gung ho for a skin test. On me, it's a lot of pine, but in a soft, woodsy kind of way, not a household cleaner way. :D The vanilla and amber are slinking around like a soft fog through the trees, slightly elusive, but coyly making their presence known. I wish I were one of those who truly amp vanilla-- it seems I always want a bit more of it to shine through in the blends that have it. (I'm looking at you Black Lace and Black Heart.)

I find this a refreshing, sexy scent and am definitely curious what it would smell like on the man. So far he's only gone in for the BPAL's that give off a smoky vibe (vetiver), but I have plans for him.... mwahhahhaha!

:lol:

The lab must have known I've been wanting to try Golden Priapus and sent a frimp in my last order. Thanks! I can see understand why this is considered masculine, yet I love wearing it and should get a bottle soon. Its such a soft pine/vanilla blend and so sexy. I have to get my husband to try it. He's usually nice about trying oils on for me, but I think he would really like this one. Its a great scent that could be worn for work or anywhere.

First on, this is a beautiful pine/vanilla, with maybe a touch of juniper behind it. I love love BPAL pine, but I've never tried "white" pine and this is gorgeous. It's almost like a mentholated pine? I don't know how to describe it, but it's all the zing of pine without the greenness.

It gets so soft and beautiful as it dries. The pine, vanilla, and the amber mesh to create this golden resiny softness. Amber can sometimes be really powdery on my skin, but I feel like the pine and juniper are keeping it in check here. And juniper in too great a presence is always too sharp and masculine on me, but there really is just a breath of it here. Underlying everything here is this lovely soft woodsiness. I've tried "rosewood" blends that smelled of rose, but I can't detect that here.

I really adore this! Softly woodsy, just a little creamy and sweet, with tangy pine. It could definitely be worn by a guy, but it's also that kind of masculine that is dead sexy on a woman.

It's the weirdest thing: in the imp, this reminded me really strongly of an open imp of No. 93 Engine. Similarity to No. 93 is always a good thing, but I don't think they even have one note in common! On my skin, that impression vanishes, and instead there's a rush of soft pine and vanilla. As mamamoth wrote below, it's pine without the greenness, just the soft woods. I'm not sure if I can pick out the juniper or rosewood, but they may be contributing to the soft, dry character of the woods. The pine aspect is really wonderful - but the vanilla in this is amazing. Deep, dark and rich; the best I've ever smelled. There's nothing overtly amber-y about the blend, but it may be helping the pine and vanilla wind together so nicely.

As it dries, the vanilla gradually takes over until that's all that's left. Since it's the most intoxicating, delicious vanilla ever, though, I don't mind even a tiny bit. Throw was kind of light, but good longevity. This scent has it all: world class vanilla, fragrant woods, and a hilarious Greek name. It's love!

Loads of juniper/pine. Very smooth though, not sharp at all. After a bit, I can mostly smell the juniper. This could smell amazing on the right man. Sadly I just don't get anything other than juniper and pine.

Pine and juniper with mild vanilla peeking through at first. Makes me think of the winter holidays. :)

As the oil dries and my skin warms it up the vanilla becomes sweeter and the juniper slowly overpowers the pine.

After about 2 hours all I can smell is Snake Oil with some sweetness and slight juniper/pine in the background. Will see how it behaves itself on clothes. :D Fun, but I'm not a pine girl. :P

In the vial, this is a cool, sweet vanilla pine scent; lovely and subtle, yet deliciously attractive. On my skin the vanilla warms nicely, giving a softly sweet scent over the fragrance of woods in the background - just lovely! After a few hours a woody scents are left, tempered slightly by a faded breath of soft vanilla behind them all…

:::GOLDEN PRIAPRUS:::

Wow, really... Golden, eh? Wonder what Olympic events THIS might entail...

At first, there was some worry that this was going to be an ironic experience, as the first thing that introduced itsself from the opened bottle was a puffball of Vanilla and Amber.

A girlie powderpuff!

Blast!

Then a vestigal memory cell surfaces, and there is a reminder of the morphing capabilities of the Lab's formulas.

A second sniff rendered Golden Priaprus similar to Ides of March 2010.

The Amber and the Pine are primarily responsible for this resemblance.

On the skin: Eureka! Golden Priaprus is terrific! The White Pine flawlessly fuses with the Juniper and Rosewood to form a stout and golden sort of fortitude while the Vanilla and the Amber recede to provide an alluring cloak of beguiling vigor to this fragrance.

Mostly, this speaks for itsself!

Words do Golden Priaprus little justice.

This is a classic, optimum formula for He who wants to make a devastating first impression.

5 out of 5.

I knew I would love this, and I was right!

The vanilla and amber are most prominent, but they're well-blended with the woods. The juniper brightens it a bit, and the pine adds a coolness the overall scent. I really like the combination of the cool pine and the warm amber-vanilla-woods. This is like an inversion of The Illustrated Woman. Where the Illustrated Woman is thick with the cool pine pitch over a thin layer of vanilla-honey, Golden Priapus is a thin layer of pine over a lot of creamy vanilla-amber. I love it.

The only thing is that there's a plastic edge to the vanilla, possibly because of the juniper (which tends to smell soapy to me). My imp is lab fresh, so I think this will improve with age.

If this oil had a color, it would be a a creamy forest green.

The notes I smell while drying is an amazingly perfect pine scent sweetened by a little bit of amber/vanilla goodness.

Dry, the vanilla becomes more prominent but the pine is still standing its ground. They both combine and soon the juniper starts to appear, and the amber tags along at the end.

The scent made me feel like I should be driving off back to Seattle to re-vist my favorite old pine forest. It makes me feel nostalgic and makes me yearn to be outside.

This lasts for a pretty long time. It lasts for about five hours before its fades. It fades for about half an hour.

The throw was decent, I'd have to apply a decent amount for people to smell it while in close proximity with me, but I sort of like it this way for once. I feel like this is my own personal vial of a certain memory and I don't want everyone to know about it.

Verdict: Definitely a keeper. Even though this reminds me of past memories, I can't wait to start new ones with it. I want to wear this while hiking and camping.

In bottle: The pine and juniper are sharp and refreshing together. The effect is softened by the gentler vanilla, amber, and rosewood. The effect is rather the scent equivalent of a rose and a torn. I will not skin test due to the known effect of juniper on my skin.

Got this one originally because I love vanilla, amber, and rosewood on me, and wood-scents in general. And I was not disappointed.

In the bottle: Wet conifers. Walking through a tree farm after a storm, where the wind's battered the trees a bit, and that plus the wet on the trees and damp still in the air amp the scent up even more.

Wet: Rounder warmth from the amber, with hints of vanilla, help to soften the evergreens.

Dry down: I want to nuzzle this. Same scents as while wet, but like I'm settling down into them.

Overall: This is just so cozy. A sun-warmed bed of cedar and pine without the prickly needles and branches poking in inappropriate places. The vanilla and amber sweeten and soften things enough that it doesn't come across as too masculine for me. I just smell good. (and that's the idea, right?) Comfortably ensconced in my top 5 BPAL scents.

This was a frimp from the lab with my last order, yet another that I probably wouldn't have tried on my own. I suppose I should give these woody scents more of a chance, because aside from Odin with its black musk of doom note on me (baby poweder! :ack: ), they've been working really well.

In the Imp, pine and juniper with a very sweet note of vanilla and a deeper hint of amber. I told my guy this is supposed to be a masculine scent, and he wrinkled his nose. "Too sweet for me!" He's picky, and I don't push. He has his Calico Jack which makes both of us happy, so I'm not complaining. That just meant more for me if it worked on my skin.

Wet. Wow! I mean seriously, wow! Pine and juniper jumped to the fore, so strongly that it was like being out in a conifer forest at mid-morning, just as most of the dew had dried off, the sun was up, and the sap rising in the trees. Where did the vanilla and amber go? Where is rosewood? It wasn't cleaning formula pine or anything icky like that, but boy was it assertive.

Dry down. Oh, well, hello thar vanilla and amber! Here they came to save the day. Together, holding hands, nuzzling each other, making nice, and giggling at haughty pine and its prickly juniper friend. I wanted to inhale my entire wrist and just keep it in my nose. This was hands down one of the most unique scents I had ever experienced. It was at once assertive and playful. I think it would take both a confident man and a confident woman to wear this blend because it's so...hermaphroditic...pretty much with equal parts masculinity and femininity. At the same time, I found that it really boosted my mood and made me feel really happy and positive, like I could do whatever I set my mind to. I'll definitely turn to this when I've got a difficult project to tackle. I still never did managed to find the rosewood. Maybe it was hanging around in the background and grounding the other scents, keeping them from getting too stuck up or silly.

Anyway, over five hours have passed since the application. I'm left with the sweet, delectable scent of vanilla and amber and a very slight, wistful hint of pine. I loved this way more than I would ever have expected just hearing the ingredients. I'm not positive I'd want a whole bottle, but I can easily see myself going for another imp when this one is used up. Really unique!

Sniffed: Pine with a creamy undertone.

On skin: Simultaneously pine green and creamy sweet, with a hint of dryness from amber (and maybe rosewood). The sweetness morphs in and out over the pine base. Golden Priapus ends up dryly creamy in the end. It's quite reminiscent of Black Forest -- the pine note is very similar, although Black Forest is more green and non-vanilla.

Verdict: Hmm, I'm not really feeling this scent. It's pleasant, but doesn't really stand out. And call me prudish, but given its name, I don't see myself often reaching for this, I'm afraid! :lol:

In bottle this smells like clean pine and vanilla. Once applied and warmed up the amber and vanilla bloom. It has a sharp clean edge from the juniper and pine that is very obvious but not obnoxious. It helps lift the sweeter base notes and gives it some complexity. A good scent to try for the vanilla lovers out there!