Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
RosieP

Golden Priapus

Insatiable lust, unending vigor! A truly carnal, energetic men’s blend: vanilla and amber with juniper, rosewood and white pine.

When I first sniffed this from the vial, my immediate thought was 'Oh no, TCP!' ... (I'm not sure if you have TCP in the 'States, I'm sure everyone in the UK will know EXACTLY what smell I mean!!)

I'd given it to Henry (husband) as I didn't particularly want to smell of TCP, but decided to borrow it back today and give it a decent chance. Well, let's say it redeemed itself thoroughly!

When wet on the wrist I could still smell the TCP 'bite' (possibly the white pine and juniper?) but this soon softened to a wonderful assertive aroma that I can only describe as 'Snake Oil with balls ....'

Two hours later it has morped into a beautful, soft, warm vanilla with a lovely masculine 'edge.' I had a great deal of difficulty in wresting this one away from The Husband long enough to try some on myself to review it (it smells really great on him too) but I think it's one he'll have to share from now on, as I am totally smitten with this one!

EDIT: Added Lab's description --Shollin

I like the idea of this one, and it smells like a slithery mix of vanilla and rum with a masculine edge when it's wet, but once it dries on me it just smells like boozy baby powder and Old Spice.

I think on a man it might smell better. On me it is pretty overpowering.

I can't add much to RosieP's review; this has all the sutlry, slithery, sexy warmth of Snake Oil, with the added tang of juniper berry up front. Drying down, I get an even warmer, more mellowed Snake Oil, which I attribute to the rosewood.

I am buying a bottle for myself as soon as I finish this post. It's perhaps more masculine than Snake Oil, but only in the "edge" that RosieP mentioned. This one will likely end up on my list of all-time favorites.

This oil was one of Beth's picks for me when I asked her for recommendations. She was bang on, as usual!

Initially, this is very woody/herbal on me (not a bad thing!). The drydown is wonderful - faintly woody, smoky, honey and vanilla. Most of my favourite oils are warm and a little sweet, this one is solidly in that category.

I just got a sample of this and tested it on my wrist and loved it. I immediately ordered, but I must say, You can't really get the entire effect until you wear it. I think I may have put a little too much on (I can smell it wafting up - and that is unusual given I am usually cold). This reminds me sooooo much of Snake Oil and a little of O. If you sniff this from the bottle, it is nothing extraordinary, but the magic happens when it interacts with your body chemistry..........just like snake oil on me, this morphs into a golden aura of vanilla sugared dreams!!! It is sweet and I like that. I can't really detect anything other than the amber and vanilla, but then my nose is not really familiar with the other notes. It is a perfectly blended scent. I can't believe this states it is a man scent. What is it with me and men's blends. I love all of them. I'm starting to get a bit of a complex, as I'm a Libra and love "girly" scents also. I happen to love Libra and Venus! Maybe it's my rising sign, Virgo that makes me love all of the deep, woody, masculine scents. I wouldn't consider myself masculine and I don't think I smell masculine wearing this at all!!

Edited by lorajc

First Impression: Well the name just makes me all hot and shivery. It's definitely a golden scent.

Second Impression: The resins were very agressive until it melded with my skin. Then the warm sweetness began oozing from my skin. This is very sexy.

Final Analysis: I don't find this masculine in the least. I do want to try a dab on my love just too see the differences. It reminds me of Snake Oil and O, just as Lora said.

Yep, it's a golden scent. Sort of like Aureus in that respect. Nutty and vanilla and sweet, exuding strength and sexuality. It's odd in that it has a strange sort of unisexness: if a female wore it, it would be lovely and soft and feminine, and if a male wore it, it would be bold and vibrant -- at least that's the impression I get from it.

I love this. I haven't tried Snake Oil, so I can't compare it to that, but I'd say it definitely makes me feel...eh, empowered. And great. Hope you know what I mean.

It sure smells nice.

I'm not sure what it is about vanilla scents tonight. Fresh on, I get a green-mossy scent over the vanilla. Maybe juniper? Then it changes to vanilla and pine. Now, what's coming to my mind is the term nutty, although I don't think it really smells nutty. Maybe it's all that masculine virility making me think nut... er. Sorry :P Lost track of the train again. It's turned a bit sweet, but not bad at all... I just can't identify it. Vanilla, lightly, and something else.

It's a nice scent, slightly musky... but it's not the dripping sex that say Villain is for me. Maybe it says something for my taste in men that I'm attracted to lemon scents. *le sigh*

Not tremendously long lasting, either... although its true I didn't put much on.

I think I am going to have to sniff this one just once more, to ensure that I am not crazy, because I really, really, really disliked it. So much so, in fact, that I had to wash it off right away, although I waited as long as I could to see if it would change.

It makes me sad to say anything negative about a BPAL, but it does seem as though none of the "masculine" blends like me. The pine really came out badly on me, and I didn't catch the slightest whiff of the vanilla and amber notes! It was just...not my cup o' tea, in the least.

This is certainly one for the swap pile...with any luck, it will end up in the hands of someone whose chemistry it will work wonders with. :P

Edited by Morrighana

In the bottle, Golden Priapuis smells a little woodsy and smoky, but with an aftersmell of vanilla. Its very crisp smelling, something that wakes you up without burning out your senses.

On me, it has a kind of minty smell to it, almost a peppermint after-effect. There is still a green scent there, I imagine the juniper (man, I'm going to have to get all the single notes just to be able to identify the scents more often), with almost a peppery bite to it.

As it dries, no....no longer mint, more like eucalyptus, and the vanilla is starting to glow around it as well. Its something that actually helps clear the sinsus a little (and I should know about that because apparantly they are stuffy from allergies again).

This is such a nice, clean, fresh scent, and I just love the eucalyptus smell (something that I happen to have a bottle of oil left over here in my potpurri diffuser box). This is something that I would love to put in the bath!

This one must work differently on me. It makes me think of the holidays. As it dries, I smell a room where a spice candle was extinguised about 5 minutes ago. A bit of vanilla. A lingering scent of incense that reminds me of midnight mass. Warm and comforting. I'll probably save this one for November/December. I really like it but it seems out of place right now.

This one is lovely on my husband, just a light, warm blanket of fragrance -- and oddly familiar.

I've finally placed the fragrance (after a couple of weeks!): it's like playing around a woodlot on a sunny day, reaching high up a tree trunk, and picking some spruce gum to chew on.

Funny, I grew up and got all fastidious about dust and tree bark and the footprints of ants.

When I first opened the imp of Golden Priapus, all I could smell was pine. After it hit my skin, it was still pine – kind of like the time I got the job of helping wash the car after it got pine sap on it. I was none too impressed, as I was hoping the vanilla would come out more.

However, since it was the last day of my period, I tried it a few days later, hoping that I’d get more vanilla - which I did, thankfully. It’s quite a nice warm vanilla with some pine and maybe some juniper. It’s not even very masculine smelling on me, but just enough to keep me from smelling really “girly”. I will certainly finish up the imp, though I don’t know about a bigger bottle (Voodoo is my “not too girly” scent of choice).

I'd heard this was the boy version of O or Snake Oil so I had to try it. On me this brings forth the amber-vanilla notes of the former, but with a masculine edge of wood and smoke. Gorgeous scent, very sexual and confident; this does evoke images of a beautiful boy for me, but one who is golden and pampered, not butch or rough.

Just about straight pine on me, though a tiny bit of vanilla does show through much, much later. Smells like Christmas. Rather pleasant, actually. Friend fell in love with this one, so I gave her the imp.

First sniff: White pine… but there’s something sweet embracing it, softening the edges and warming the wood. Pine to me usually smells very cold, but Golden Priapus is a warm, approachable pine.

Wearing: The vanilla explodes on my skin. I’ve had the same reaction to a couple of other scents where vanilla was somewhere in there but not the main note, and it’s a lovely effect. Pine is still very prominent, but that initial burst of vanilla is just gorgeous, and once it fades a bit the pine is lovely and soft, not the cold, distant, crunchy-snow scent it usually is on me. I’m honestly not entirely sure what prompted me to order this one, considering how little pine and I usually get along, but whatever it was, I’m glad I listened. :P It goes warmly smoky after a few minutes, and the overall effect is simply glorious.

I ordered Golden Priapus because of the reviews, especially the ones saying it was the male version of Snake Oil, and with the vanilla, I just had to try it. This oil is so wonderful, I smiled the moment I opened the vial and it got even better when I put it on. Just like for Shollin, the vanilla exploded on my skin, but it's not a sweet vanilla, it's very soft. The woods in this are very warm and, well, golden :D I wasn't sure when people were mentioning pine if they meant the needles or the actual wood, but it's definitely the wood. It reminds me of beautiful golden plank flooring made from southern yellow pine. For me, this isn't a sexy kind of scent you wear to get noticed, it's a very relaxing and comforting one. It's getting added to my growing collection of BPAL nappy time oils :P

Golden Priapus

Vial: Juniper and pine! Wowsa! But, creamy too.

Wet: Wow. I can instantly smell the vanilla and the amber amongst the juniper and the white pine. YUMMY.

It's just so creamy, but where as Snake Oil gets its wickedness from spice, here it's the juniper and pine tweaking the creamyness while the amber hangs back there being its usual resinous sexy self. :P DAMN, I love this smell. I mean, it smells to die for on me, but this is one of those "put it on the right guy and get naked" scents. It just screams SEX APPEAL! What a billiant combination of scents! *dies*

Vanilla can get a little overwhelming in a blend on me, but there is still a subtle difference between this and snake oil that gives it a definite more masculine edge. Strong, long lasting, and a bit resiny and woodsy under the vanilla. This is a golden, warm, strong and comforting scent, but somehow still refined. I'll be sending the imp of this to Jake to test.

I got an imp of this as a present of ChupaChup and have since ended up with a few others...I think it's a sign. :D

First sniff:

I smell pine and vanilla. It reminds me of Snake Oil made with pine instead of spices for some reason. I love pine and I like vanilla when it's done well (Beth always does vanilla well) so this is looking very promising. I'm a little leary of the amber because of the dreaded "sour milk effect," but this smells too good to pass up. :D

Wet on skin:

Mmm, sweet pine wood. I can't smell the vanilla distinctly...it's more like pine drizzled with aged vanilla oil. I can smell the amber beginning to make an appearance, too, which is wonderful as long as it doesn't turn into sour milk like it has a tendency to do on me. I love amber but amber doesn't love me back. :P

Dry down:

The amber is coming out strongly and mingling with the vanilla. The pine's retreated to the background now, which makes me sad since I love pine so much. But the good news is that so far I don't smell like an unplugged fridge, which makes me very happy. :D

The bottom line:

This is nice. I wish the pine were more prominent on me, but just the fact that I don't smell like a bottle of milk that's been left out on the counter for a week more than makes up for it. :D

Edited by Penance

Golden Priapus

Swiped across wrists and along collarbone.

Initial Wet (8-8:30am): This goes on thick, sweet and a bit powdery.

Initial Dry (8:30-10am): The vanilla quickly rises to the top as the other notes provide a sparkling backdrop. The vanilla makes it sweet, while the other notes temper that sweetness.

Throughout the Day (10am-on): I really can’t smell much of anything but vanilla … a sweet, almost cloying vanilla that just doesn’t stop.

:P Yup, giving me a headache. I fear I am going to have to start avoiding vanilla – it seems way too overpowering for me. Off to the Swap Pile with you!

In the bottle: Very green. I can detect both the pine and the rosewood, I believe. It's strong with a rich yellow scent to it that might be either the amber or the vanilla.

Wet: Mmmm, vanilla goodness with that touch of darker pine and maybe some of the rosewood. This is most definitely a blend for the boy. I just wanted to snatch it away from him long enough to review it. Pine, pine, pine but fresh and not at all like smelling like a bottle of Pine-Sol.

Dry down: Pine with just the faintest touch of that vanilla scent. There's a hint of the others smell but I'm not adapt enough to pick them out.

Dry: Pine and rosewood.. The vanilla's kind of gone but the amber is perking back up. It's unbelieveable how much better this smells on my boy. Why does my skin want me to smell like a forest? Oh well, at least I'm not allergic to it. I won't be wearing this one, but the boy can. And I did steal his imp in order to review it.

After going through my "darker, heavy scents...nooo!!!!" phase I was finally prepared to give this one a shot.

At first swipe it's a very sharp/woody scent and I rather like it. :P So much swiping ensues...

Unfortunately, about 10 minutes later it's turning into strong powders tinged with playdoh. Even the bf commented "Ew, smells like playdoh." Damnit! I really think it's the amber doing this to me. :D

So now I'm a strongly scented (why can I never find a scent I'm in love with long lasting power??) playdoh powder puff. Grrr...

Oh wow. Let's see if I can review this w/o blushing or giving TMI. :P This is another one I gave Brian for Yule, and I begged him to try it first. I immediately squealed, "It's 'O' for boys!" And it is. Vanilla/amber sex in a bottle, with a touch of juniper to be slightly more masculine than O. This should be a Voodoo blend, it works so well. Allow me to suggest slathering it on a boy of your choice--from neck to priapus--and just *see* what happens. :D :D

Oh my gosh, this is soooo sexual it should not be sold to underage BPALers!!!

The Lab generously added an imp of Golden Priapus to my last order and I am already hopelessly addicted!

I did not think much of it when I saw the imp as to me it was strictly a masculine scent, but I will try any BPAL once. In the vial, the smell was a little sharp yet nice. It smelled green yet felt golden, if that makes any sense.

As soon as it touched my skin, the golden gorgeousness that is this blend literally bloomed into vanilla and amber. Warm, silky and terribly erotic.

It had been a while since an oil made me all hot and bothered, but Golden Priapus sure did a great job in that department! A keeper, needless to say :P