Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Iceblink

MVJBA: Spring Training 2008

Since 1928, Mother Shub and her brood have been providing the snack shacks of the Miskatonic Valley with a bevy of otherworldly sweets and baked treats. This year, Mother Shub has created a promotional perfume oil that embodies the scent of her famous Peanut Brittle Caramel Popcorn. Iä! Shub-Niggurath! Thank you for an eon of community support!

Imp: brown sugar and butter

Wet: Yup, a very sugary, buttery sweetness, with enough salt to let it satisfy sweet and salt cravers alike. Just like caramel popcorn. I don’t really get peanuts (yet?).

Drying: Ah, there are some peanuts, afterall. But its not overwhelmingly nutty, which is good in my book (I didn’t want to end up smelling like peanut butter). This is like crunch’n’munch—mostly sweet, buttery caramel, with only a few nuts tossed in. Yummy! As this progresses, the sugar gets darker, like a cooking caramel. Its not going to burnt sugar, but it gets close enough to flirt with it, and even takes on something sorta coffee-like.

Overall: Delicious. I want more than my decant, I think.

Carmel popcorn! But you knew that part. I usually am not crazy about smelling like food, but when it's cooked sugar, that's very different. It's got that warm, baking smell — a comfort scent.

Mmmm! I'm haveing a hard time dragging my nose away from my arm :P This smells like butter and toffee and all sorts of goodness. As it dries I get almost a dark, burnt sugar incense flavor. I NEED a bottle of this puppy!

Bottle: Caramel and butter :P

Wet: Mostly caramel, but I can detect the peanut brittle note now too

Dry: Back to caramel

I do love this scent and though it's "Spring Training", the caramel also reminds me of Fall

This one is caramel and butter --- it does kinda smell like caramel popcorn and peanut butter brittle. There's something in this blend however that smells ever so slightly to plastic.

Yup. Not for me.

In the bottle- Wow, this is exactly as promised in the note description. I'm not sure how they've managed to make the salt of buttered popcorn work with peanut brittle, but it does and it smells glorious!

On the wrist- On the drydown, the strength of the peanut mellows out into a soft caramel, exactly like a slab of peanut brittle. The butter-and-salt note is still there, but more subtle now, complimenting rather than headlining. It's very smooth on the nose.

Overview- What a treasure for foodie fans. The throw is middling, and it seems to last quite a while, as well. I'm definately loving this, and will have to get another bottle, I think. This is a scent that anyone who loves peanuts or pocorn can get behind.

=^..^=

In the bottle – Sweet, thick butterscotchy caramel, with just a hint of salt, which I can only assume is the peanuts. I will lay money on this blend turning to ashes on my skin

Wet on me – Thick, buttery caramel

Dry on me – Wow, a sweet, butter blend that doesn’t turn to ashes on me. It gets pretty damn close, but then veers away, just as I think that there is no hope left in sight. What remains is a thick, cloying butterscotch scent, which to my work colleagues translated as peanut butter (without being told the notes)

Overall – I like it, but it is a ad overwhelming so I don’t really know about the practicality of it as a blend

Was given a sample of this back in...May or June...and later, after trying to carefully ration the sample out as best I could, had to break down and hunt for a bottle (guess who enabled me/who I bought it from? XD).

In the bottle...mmm, buttery and caramel-sticky sweet. I can even kind of make out the popcorn portion!

On me...same as in the bottle, sweet and tempting!

This is really a great scent...I know there wasn't much to my review, which I feel kinda guilty for, but it's powerful in its simplicity, it really is.

Cracker jacks!!! Yay!! This is so surprisingly wearable for some reason...I can't put my finger on it. It's like, when I hold it up to my nose and sniff (and everybody else's since I just finished running around my house all "Cracker Jacks anyone?" and making everyone smell me and agree that I reek of Cracker Jack-y goodness!) it's totally foody, but there's something else in it that prevents the blend from reading as just "food" the way that some blends like Cockaigne, for example, do. Anyway, I'm not a big fan of baseball and think it's ridiculously boring for the most part...I like all the ritualistic shit that goes along with it, and I love the idea of it, but in reality the game itself usually bores me to tears. In any case, this fragrance is making me want to don my hippest baseball shirt and blue jeans and go be outside and run around in this beauteous spring weather...Alas, I have to finish writing a dumb ol' paper.

This blend is a grand slam, or a home run, or whateverthe*&$# you callit in that game thing with the bat, and the pitcher dude with the hand signs and cracker jacks and hot dogs and stuff, like, when good stuff happens or something...Cuz, uhhh, I mean, it's really good...good enough to make me nostalgic for a sport that I'm not particularly interested in. Well done!

:wub2:

In the bottle it's very sweet, caramel corn and peanut brittle are very clearly here!

Oh no, why won't this work on my skin! It's plastic, and it fades quite a bit. After about an hour it morphs into.. celery. Yes, that's right. Celery. What? I don't know.. *sigh*

MVJBA: Spring Training

I skipped this one initially. Popcorn + peanuts didn't seem like a good idea. But then my curiosity got the better of me (of course!) and I'm glad it did. A bit like Gluttony, this is caramelly with a whisper of peanuts. Good throw, good lasting power, this is a nice alternative to my usual chocolate/candy/fruit scents.

in the bottle: very sweet, caramelly but not burnt. it's definitely the same family as sugar skull but not as...fruity or burnt- this is white sugar where sugar skull started out life as brown sugar.

wet: this actually reminds me of coffee more than kettle corn. it reminds me of a caramel macchiato though the years of working as a barista may have me biased.

dry: yep this is still more coffee sweet than candy sweet. i get the impression of corn more than the actual smell of corn. i wish i had tested this earlier, it's lovely. it actually reminds me a lot of sleipnir for some reason, maybe the sweetness and the grain.

Normally I try to break down my reviews a bit more delicately, but:

Cracker Jack and Dunkin Donuts iced coffee with cream and sugar.

It gets a bit more buttery/deep as it wears, but it smells like Cracker Jack and Dunkin Donuts.

It’s been a run of bad luck for me with scents lately. Unfortunately, something in this one turns to playdough. Dried and nasty playdough. I was so hoping for this to be yummy since it sounds like a perfect foodie scent but no go for me! Double unfortunately, this has GREAT throw. Great playdough throw! Ick!

Lovely buttery toffee popcorn, both wet and dry, but with a hidden dark note behind all that. Nearly as wonderful as Midway but a bit less complex.

I got this partial bottle and when I tried it I got a lovely, soft mix of the peanut brittle and caramel. It became saltier as it dried, but never got too foodie. It stayed close to the skin, and somehow morphed into a slightly sweeter version of Miskatonic University which seems all "oakwood" to me. I wish it had held on to the caramel a little longer. Though faint it lingered a full day later, and I still get scent traces of it on my hand. Nice, but it could have a stronger sweetness to it (in my opinion). I give it more of a 3.5 out of five stars.

ITB: It's super sugary caramel with a nutty undertone. It's really sweet.

Wet: It doesn't change much, although there's more of a buttery tone to the overtly sweet caramel.

Dry: It's still very much sugar, caramel and butter - all day. At least it lasts for a while.

In the bottle - Exactly what it says it is. Peanut brittle caramel corn.

Wet - More caramel corn than peanut brittle.

Drydown - Still caramel corn, with a sweetness emerging that must be the brittle. Smells more like candy though.

Verdict - Foody in an odd way. I usually go for candy-sugar-overload scents. This was a welcome buttery departure. More, please!

This one smells just like peanut brittle but with that dark mysteriousness which is Mother Shub. It has that dark dirty scent added in which is like bitter coffee maybe. It's very light in the background though. The caramel and buttered brittle are up front. This had amazing throw when first applied but it didn't last very long on my skin maybe an hour or so, but while it was there it was delicious! Peanut brittle and dark coffee. Yum! :yum:

In the bottle - Buttery sweetness. I also get that peanut brittle scent. Caramel-y, but not getting popcorn, which is ok with me. Not a real fan of popcorn scents.

On skin - Popcorn note is coming out, but not in a bad way, meaning, other popcorn scents were too buttery which made me queasy. This is more sweet and caramel popcorn. To me, this is what candy corn smells like. :)

Dry down - Oooh.... I think I really like this. It is more caramel / candy corn to me, which is funny because I have tried the other Candy Corn scents and they went....odd on me, this though is sweet and foody, but surprisingly not too cloying. Medium throw. But like was said above, there is that teeny hint of Mother Shub's touch in it! ;) Foody/gourmand lovers should find this!

Buttery tonka and brûlée. Extremely similar to Sugar Skull, in a good way, although not as strong. I have to keep huffing my wrist to get anything.

I am testing an aged bottle from 2008-- almost 11 years! It's aged well, surprisingly. 

Wet: caramel, butter. 
Dry: more of the same but not over powering. It does make me think of peanut but sweeter with butter and caramel. There is something that smells salty.
This has a good throw! I think the age has helped the bottle I have. 
Later: hm, a touch of popcorn here right at the end. Not as much caramel and still butter. Very enjoyable. 
Good throw and long life 

I love the old butter notes and am so pleased to have another buttery bottle to go with my Bread and Butterfly. 

This is amazing! Super accurate peanut brittle. I do get a faint little bit of caramel popcorn, but the peanut brittle is the MVP of the blend on me. Very buttery and I'm picturing that the peanut butter in this would have been the crunchy kind. I bought this for the popcorn since that's one of my top three notes, however I am amazed with how wonderful this is and I think I need to try some more peanut butters. The throw starts off pretty strong, but it fades with time. 

This is a strong toffee scent that just gets more sickly sweet on me over time. I never got any peanut from this, although it does smell like the toffee part of peanut brittle or like the toffee coating on Crunch 'n Munch. But just as I don't smell any peanut, I don't smell a popcorn note beneath the thick layer of toffee, either. There's also some brown sugariness to it later on in the day that makes it seem more breakfast-y.

Although I appreciate gourmands, caramel and toffee scents tend to be too sweet for me, and there's nothing here to cut the sweetness. If you're looking for that sort of scent, though, you should definitely give this one a try.