Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Iceblink

MVJBA: Spring Training 2008

Since 1928, Mother Shub and her brood have been providing the snack shacks of the Miskatonic Valley with a bevy of otherworldly sweets and baked treats. This year, Mother Shub has created a promotional perfume oil that embodies the scent of her famous Peanut Brittle Caramel Popcorn. Iä! Shub-Niggurath! Thank you for an eon of community support!

i have to say that even as an avid foodie, i'm a little nervous to try this- it just sounds so over the top! well, here we go...

in the bottle: the butter and sugar goodness of Hearth without the pine notes that drove me crazy. :P

wet on skin: peanut brittle! with lots of butter! and sugar! yay!

dry down: yeah, the peanut has faded bit, and it's mostly just burnt sugar and butter.

in all: i will have to give this a few more tries, but right now it's reading as more of a fall and winter fragrance than something i'll wear for the next four months or so.

This makes me want to eat my arm. :P

Thankfully, I don't smell popcorn, 'cause that would turn me off.

I get a slight hint of peanuts and LOTS of caramel. This smells like a caramel irish cream latte, with nuts. :D

Seriously debating a second bottle.

OH MY GAWD. The internet ate my first attempt at a review.

Basically, this is blissful and delicious salty sweet caramel peanut brittle in the bottle that makes my inner foodie sigh with delight.

But when it gets on my skin, it morphs into...burnt tires. I am heartbroken. I am going to try this again at a different time of month (if you know what I mean), but THIS SUCKS. *pout*

EDITED: I TAKE IT BACK. That rubber smell was a new pair of shoes I was wearing that made everything smell like rubber. :P :D :D I tried it again later after a shower and no new shoes and did not get the weird smell from the oil at all. The oil is wonderful and delicious and yummy and sweet and salty caramel and peanut perfection :) ;) B)

Edited by Suu4LC

In the decant, this is almost straight butterscotch.

Wet, I can smell the caramel and the salt and the popcorn. As it dries, I get a coffee vibe from it, and it seems like it's the first super-foody scent I really like (and want to eat).

Sadly, my skin went all NOMNOMNOM on it and now I can only smell it faintly if I shove my wrist under my nose.

Keeping my decant though - I plan to use it to scent some unscented lotion since it fades fast on me.

Miskatonic Valley Junior Baseball Association, Spring Training 2008-

In Bottle: Soft caramel and salt, a hint of the toasty popcorn.

Wet: Mmm, very much as it was in the bottle. Soft yummy caramel and a saltiness that sets it off, and the popcorn scent gets stronger. Yummy.

Dry: A fader on me, sadly, because it's just delicious. Well, then, I shall just use more of it! Caramel and popcorn and, yes, peanuts emerge at the end. If you liked Shill but wanted something a little more sweet to set it off, you'll love this.

Overall: A yummy foody scent, and exactly what it was meant to evoke.

Mmmmm.... :D MVJBA! Go Whips! :P

I love foody scents, but seldom do they actually make me feel hungry. This one does! :)

It is buttery, sweet, caramel/nutty nirvana. :D It doesn't last very long on me, but it sure smells yummy while it lasts!

I am with Scylla GO WHIPS!

In the bottle, carmel popcorn with peanuts.

On my skin, carmel coated popcorn with peanuts, though the peanuts are really subtle. Don't be afraid of the nuts or the popcorn. Mostly this is just creamy golden caramel. Similar to Misc U without the coffee or woods.

I love the penant and the shirt, and I love, love, love the oil. Thanks Momma Shub and your 10,000 little'uns! Let's play ball! :P

This was uber strong when I put it on at first. It reminded me alot of a slightly lighter version of El Dia De Reyes.

My husband came in and said 'something smells like caramel'

That would be me, my dear. That would be me.

After a short time, the scent settles down into a lovely salty caramel corn yummyness. It's actually alot less sweet than El Dia De Reyes, which is good, b/c that one is a bit TOO much to wear often.

I am not much of a fan of baseball, but if I go to any games for any reason, this will be the scent to wear!

Perfect execution of the concept!

It reminded me of El Dia De Reyes too! It took me a while to place the rather vague note they have in common and I think it's coffee or brown sugar.

In the vial: mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Caramel goodness!

Wet on skin: caramel, caramel, caramel just ready to pour over ice cream or into your latte!

Dry on skin: there is a faint suggestion of coffee. It's very sweet and creamy - the best sort of caramel sauce! If I keep on sniffing I can get some butter. It's not really popcorn or peanuts, perhaps just a tiny bit boozy? But mostly creamy caramel.

Second test: oh look! There's the popcorn! Caramel and popcorn! This scent is a winner!

Edited by Lyrical

In the bottle: Sweet, sweet caramel, like that in Misk. U.

Wet on skin: Appropriately for a baseball scent, this begins with a strong throw -- this does lessen over time, with most of the sweetness closest to the skin.

Drydown: It gets nuttier, and then more buttery, as time goes on. All of the notes I was hoping would be in this blend combine to evoke exactly the scent picture I'd hoped for.

Verdict: Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack. I don't care if I never get back -- for it's IA! IA! C'THULHU F'THAGN! for the home team....

I really can't do many foody scents. They just don't work with my chemistry. But this I can do. It smells exactly like caramel to me, with a musky undertone. Thankfully I don't smell anything that reminds me of popcorn. I hate popcorn in any form---it has an odd taste and smell to me. So when that aspect was missing from this blend I was over the moon.

This stays sweet and creamy and unmistakably caramel-y. It even seems thick and sticky. That musky scent underneath is more visible as it dries. This doesn't want to leave my skin once it's on there. I only need a dab or two on my wrists and it's incredibly strong. I can smell it forever and then some. I have to say I feel kinda sporty when I wear this.

This smells great in the bottle but just not my thing on my skin. Perhaps as a nice lotion or something. It is just too foody and burnt smelling. Quelle domage.

ETA: 2 years later, and I am glad I kept the bottle.

It was one of those that I could never bring myself to swap.

It is a sweet caramel smell, no longer burnt.

Edited by Megank4

On me this one starts out as single note caramel and then get's a little honey-ish after a really long time. It's strong and stays that way for hours! It's not as sweet as Tiresias and it's less nutty than Cockaigne. I love it. I don't tend to wear caramel a lot, so I don't think I will be getting a second bottle, but I will treasure the one that I have. Anyone who loves caramel needs to get this before it goes away!

I think this is my first review, so please be gentle with me!

Anyway, on to the MVJBA:

Wet: I get lots of butter and sugar. This is heavy on the caramel, yet at the same time is still light and rich. Mmmm.

Middle: At this point I get a bit more of the saltiness coming up and it plays up beautifully with the caramel. On me, I find this gives it a very sultry edge, so that the foodiness gets balanced out with an edge that goes more with a warm summer night...yum.

Drydown: Now I get the nuttiness, with waves of caramel. Bliss.

This reminds me of being on the Boardwalk in Ocean City, NJ as a teenager, but much, much better. It is hauntingly delicious, sweetly spooky and I think I'm in love.

(and go Whips!:P)

First reaction: NYOM NYOM NYOM

Second reaction: Smells just like Miskatonic University got poured over a load of Rhys's Cups. It has that warm, comforting, and luxurious toffee popcorm scent, but the peanut brittle gives it a little something extra. Still warm, but if anything more foody! I'd definitely say this is one for lovers of Miskatonic University.

It's very strong in the bottle, and stays strong during drydown, but sadly it didn't last very long at all on my skin. This is definitely one for the scent locket, or for slathering!

MVJBA Spring Training 08

In the imp: caramel. Butterscotch and toffee with nuts. Very similar to Mitzvah.

Wet on skin: mmm, delicious butterscotch. Very sugary but not too strong.

Dry on skin: huh? It’s gone quiet on me, oddly. All I can smell is sugar and butter, but not the strong nutty caramel from before. Just a soft golden butterscotch glaze. I can’t smell peanuts or popcorn in here, just a very agreeable caramel. In fact, this smells EXACTLY like Werthers Originals! And I mean, spot on! I do get a slight hint of the coffee scent some people talk about, and the similarity to Misk U, but it’s mainly English toffee/butterscotch on me. And there’s nothing burnt or overpowering to this caramel.

After a while: oh, this gets better. It still smells like Werthers or traditional English toffee, but now I smell something to it that reminds me of being in an Italian ice cream parlour. And I love that smell, brings back so many holiday memories…it’s a mix of coffee and chocolate and cream and vanilla and nuts and caramel, it smells inviting and delicious. Urge to nibble wrist rising, rising, rising…

Verdict: I thought this would be far too cloying. Toffee, caramel, popcorn and peanuts? I thought this would be way too cavity-inducing and sickly for me. but this is fast becoming my favourite foody. Finally, a BPAL pure caramel I can wear! This reminds me of two of my favourite things-Werthers Originals, and holidays in Italy because it smells just like gelato and ice cream parlours with coffee. I don’t smell peanuts or popcorn here, actually, just a hint of nuts with brown sugar and butterscotch. And despite this being incredibly gourmand, it’s still very subtle, much more subtle than Misk U, and not cloying at all. It smells delicious alone, but I bet it would be lovely layered, like a caramel sauce poured on a favourite dessert, this would sweeten up any scent really nicely. This is what I was hoping to get from Mitzvah and Gluttony, all the caramels really. I’m glad I have a bottle.

Emoticon rating: :D :P

Is it a keeper? So glad I have a bottle.

If you like this, try: Miskatonic University, Gluttony, Cockaigne, Arrival at the Sabbath, Midway, Gula bath oil

In the bottle, I get a caramel-y candy scent, no nuttiness at all - like the brittle of the peanut brittle, not the nuts.

On my skin, it's sweet, but not too sweet - the peanuts bring it down from that oh-God-too-sweet level. But's it all foody, all the time, no doubt about it.

When it dries, it's just nutty-sweety goodness - totally a winner!

In the bottle it reminds me of Butterscotch schnapps, nice and warm and makes me want to go get a drink or eat some toffee.

Sadly though on my skin it pretty much disappears, I can get small whiffs of it here and there when I move my arms around, but it’s not something that stands out. I think I might end up mixing this one up in some lotion, or other potion and stick with Gluttony for my all things sweet and good perfume for now.

Mmm, caramel! This is authentic, smells just like the real thing, with sweet caramel and a bit of nuttiness. It just sort of sits on my skin, so I don't think I need a bottle, but I'm glad I got to try it!

OMG...buttery...salty...nutty...caramely perfection! I'd say it smells like carmel corn but it actually smells better than the real thing.

I can't belive I thought I might not want this.

foody scents just do not work for me. i can smell the wonderful, gooey, caramel goodness this *should* be, but as soon as it hits my skin it's nothing but plastic.

First Sniff: Bottled Crunch 'n' Munch!

On skin: Coffee, caramel, peanuts and popcorn. Salty and sweet. I don't know if I want to find a Timmy Ho's, go watch football or eat my arm.

Drydown: Nom, Nom, Nom. Oops. Oh yah reviewing here...

It is all coffee and caramel and I love it.

Final thoughts: This is Creepy without the apple.

caramel corn studded with peanuts. i think there are also hints of coffee and molasses. super sweet and foody, definitely a cousin of Gluttony and Cockaigne. i wish it was a little more buttery (it’s more like Cracker Jacks than Crunch n’ Munch), but it has great throw and stays true to its original scent without turning to plastic. so, as foody scents go, it’s a keeper.

MVJBA Spring Training '08 Perfume Oil - This smells really good! I was expecting something more along the lines of popcorn and caramel, but the peanut brittle scent was surprisingly yummy! The popcorn scent wasn’t overly-buttery and nauseating like you find with Shill and the peanut brittle adds a lovely warm, sweet touch to it. I don’t tend to like foody scents, so it wasn’t going to be something I would find myself wanting to wear, so I passed along my bottle, but it really was a great scent and I’m surprised that I liked it since I didn’t think I would. The throw and staying power were about average and it never did turn “plasticky” on my skin as the foody scents often do.

Wet in imp - Wow! This is super-foodie and smells EXACTLY like peanut brittle caramel popcorn. I get hungry just whiffing it.

Wet on skin - Even more intense peanut brittle with the caramel popcorn weaving in and out. I wish I had some peanut brittle and caramel popcorn RIGHT NOW. Yum.

Dry on skin - The peanut brittle and caramel popcorn are sharing the scene equally. This smells good enough to eat! I just don't know if I want to smell like snacks. I'll keep this imp as a novelty for now I think.