Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
alicia_stardust

Cathouse Atmosphere Spray

A nineteenth century Southern bordello: magnolia, jasmine, honey musk, tobacco, vanilla bean, bourbon vanilla, and Spanish moss.

I was interested in all of the atmosphere sprays but this one had to be my first purchase. It's in a beautiful amber bottle with a quality sprayer. I don't foresee this getting clogged or failing to mist well.

The label is similar in style to the massage oils and bath oils, and the color of this one ranges from red violet, to red, to a smoky gray. When I first read the description of Cathouse these were the exact colors that popped into my head.

Cathouse comes across as a bourbon vanilla floral with a touch of musk and honey and tobacco. Sensual is the first word that comes to mind. It smells red and sultry but not too heavy or dark that it can't be used in a variety of rooms and such.

The fragrance itself is strong and well worth the cost; a little goes a long way. The scent lingers for quite a while after I've sprayed it into the air. It sticks around even longer on linens. =)

I am definitely getting more of these, and I hope even more will be released. This exciting enough that it's like getting a present! I'm so glad the Trading Post offers these now.

i could not agree more with alicia's review!!

this stuff is da bomb!! highly scented with the most divine notes...i have darker curtains in certain

rooms of this house so i am not afraid to spray away ... the amazing thing is that the gorgeous

scent lingers and whenever i walk past my open window i am refreshed with a lovely aroma...

excellent and high quality product go get yourself a bottle...you will be very pleasantly surprized :P

Cathouse is a nice, sultry scent, but not a scent for me or my home/linens. I have trouble with florals and bpal's jasmine is an old nemesis of mine. The florals in this are like smoky, honeyed florals with enough of a musky, perfumey, sharp edge to give my floral-sensitive brain a headache. I can definitely smell the jasmine and pick out a honeyed quality. It has a sweetness to it, but also a clean and perfumey edge.

I actually do kind of like the scent, but it still gives me a headache. It would make a unique, sensual room fragrance if you can handle heavy, honeyed, musky florals, I think. It smells very rich, assertive, and womanly to me. I really love how these sprays linger but aren't overpowering. On the pillows and linens, the scents cling in a subtle way that makes you want to snuggle into them, and a spritz on the curtains by an open window has the fragrance wafting throughout the house. They're all wonderful performance-wise, even if this particular fragrance doesn't work for me.

Cathouse reminds me a bit of the way that Hony Mone smelled in the bottle, but Cathouse is better on my pillows than Hony Mone actually was on my skin. I think it's just too musky/perfumey to get any use from me. It's okay though, because there wasn't anymore room in my current love triangle with Dungeon and Down the Rabbit Hole anyhow, lol.

My least favorite of the sprays :P. It's okay...but the florals kind of run together, and this smells a little too sweet to me. Is that the faintest hint of green stems? Maybe that's the moss. There's just not that perfect melding of "WHOA, AMAZING!" that I've found in the other scents. But it's nice though, and if you're a big fan of these florals, this might be the spray for you.

I got a 1 or 2 ounce decant of this from a circle, and I have to say I really like it. I've been primarily using it to keep the funk down in my bathroom, but it really does. I spray it directly on the shower curtain. Um. It smells sweet, vanilla-y, and very feminine. I'm not much with reviews, but I do rather like this.

Definitely evocative of night in the Olde South. However, it's all a bit much for me, with all the florals. I got decants of sampler sizes to try before committing, and I'm glad. I had thought this one would be a definite bottle purchase, but now Cathouse seems to be the least appealing of the collection.

I can't fault it, but I'm just not into the overwhelmingly floral note in this one, especially since it's heavy on Evil Jasmine, and jasmine and I are old enemies, even if some of BPAL's blends with jasmine do work for me. One review mentioned it was "a little too sweet," and I find that accurate. I was hoping for the tobacco and vanilla and moss to be more of a presence and bring in a slightly more masculine quality. I'm sure if you're more into the sweet floral aspect, this one would be great.

I thought I would really love this one based on the notes, but much as I've tried I can't get into it. I'm a big floral fan, but the magnolia/jasmine hit at first is way too sweet. That backs off after 10 minutes or so and then boozy vanilla/tabacco becomes more prominent. There's an undertone of something dirty, maybe the moss? It does accurately give you the idea of a run down brothel in the south that's a bit mildewed and smoky, the smell of sweat and sex in the background, that girls are wearing a strong perfume to compensate for. For execution I give it a 4.5/5 but my enjoyment rates a 2.5/5.

Unfortunately, I'm not so keen on this one. Definitely hot house florals, very sultry and warm. But to me, the jasmine in this blend is too sharp and smells... well, like cat pee.

And I can't get the jasmine/cat pee connotation out of my head.

Boo on my head.

I've tried a few variations (from different vendors and in different formats - perfume, mostly) of the "Cathouse" scent, and none have quite hit the nail on the head for me until now. Admittedly, I was a little reluctant at first to purchase because it was a wee bit rich for my blood, but now that I caved, I'm pretty damned happy that I did: This is the Cathouse I've been looking for. This is what I wanted all along.

It's a dusky floral, heavy on the magnolia and jasmine, with a hint of "dirty" to soften the headiness of the florals. I get a bit of tobacco after its sat on the sheets a bit, and given that a lot of the writing I'm doing right now centers on the South, this is quickly becoming the area vibe-a-fier before I settle in to write. (If I could romanticize the French Quarter in New Orleans with a scent... *cries* It makes my heart hurt! I wanna go back!)

Very happy I bought a bottle, and definitely, I'm going to start collecting the other scents too.

If you just sniff the bottle, this smells overwhelming strong--picture the strongest BPAL jasmine ever, and you've got it. I let my friend smell both this and Dungeon as soon as I got them and she said "ugh, I don't want you spraying that on anything in my house!" (She is rather anti-floral, but it still quite strong).

So I waited til I got home and sprayed it on the bed after I changed the sheets. It still seemed strong (but not as strong)--jasmine and magnolia, mostly, but with a bit of green. Still, it was so strong and perfumy at first I thought I was going to like Dungeon much more.

I continued with various tasks, went outside, came back in, and the room smelled soft and gorgeous. After the scent sits, it gets much, much more subtle, and what I get in the air is still floral, but with the sweet booziness of bourbon vanilla, with just a hint of something else sweet, which I think is the tobacco.

Its really lovely and not at all as strong as it seemed. I mean, you really only need a spritz or two, so the bottle will last forever, but it also is not the overpowering scent you might expect it to be. (It is much more subtle than Iago...er...I mean Dungeon which smells exactly like Iago to me).

There are some serious flowers in this but it's also reeeeeeeeeeally sweet thanks to all that honey and vanilla. Very girly. Not quite as strong as some of the other room sprays, but the scent is pretty. I do advise NOT getting a big whiff up it right up in your sinuses like I did, though--WHEW!

I just got my goblin squirt today and I'm in love! Wet, it's florrrallll but you still get the great depth from the bourbon vanilla. When it dries and settles, I get that rich tobacco with a subtle hint of jasmine. It's awesome. I've always loved the smell of tobacco houses and fresh cigars (not smoked). I'd wear this if I thought I could get away with it!

I gotta get a full bottle of this!

Edited by Gunny

having lived for some years in the deep deep South, i can say that CatHouse gets is right. the notes of bourbon vanilla, honeymusk and magnolia are strongest in this blend, and while those same notes in a fragrance might be on the heavy side, there's actually something rather light and fresh-smelling about this blend in the air- and on my linen!

i got a Goblin Squirt as a gift from another Forumite and i feel really lucky for the chance to check this out. the only experience with the Post's atmosphere sprays was during the Summer Inquisition, and all those were on a bit too on the heavy end for me. CatHouse is much more what i want the air around me to smell like.

in all: i think i'll use up this Goblin tester and see how sad i am when it's finished :P if i'm really as bummed as i suspect i'll be, then i reckon i'll get me a Big Un!

:D

I was leery to try Cathouse, because some of the scents listed (magnolia, jasmine) are not good friends with my nose, but some of the other scents (tobacco, vanilla bean, bourbon vanilla) are the kinds of scents I tend to buy in candles a lot.

I tried it out last night and it was overpoweringly floral. It smells like a hothouse in the deep south (or how I would imagine that to smell.) I don't get any of the tobacco or vanilla at all, just the magnolia, jasmine, etc.

I sprayed Doc afterwards in the adjoining room and that scent has staying power like whoa, so I'm going to wait until later on tomorrow and try Cathouse again and see how it does after a while, but my first impression is not a positive one. :P

I received this from a wonderful forumite in a recent swap. :)

Cathouse is honeyed, vanilla drenched magnolia and jasmine blooms to me. This is a VERY sweet floral. Jasmine is that ONE note that violently disagrees with my skin (no worries, I didn't put this on my skin) but I am LOVING the way this smells in my apartment. It was like a light bulb moment when I started spritzing this about "Jasmine...stinky old lady diaper panties jasmine...smells nice...in the air...?! Woah!" I took a nap earlier on a pillow that was sprayed with a bit of Cathouse and just dozed off happily sniffing the air around me.

I am pleasantly surprised by this. I'm going to have to buy a larger bottle, I already killed the sample :lol:

I just love love love the BPTP atmosphere sprays. They're worth the price tag. :wub2:

I like to break the rules. I don't find this the best room spray, but I love it on my skin. Yes, it says not to use it there, but I don't get the same scent from it as a spray then on my skin.

It is a great but not overly heavy floral with enough moss notes and vanilla smoothing it out. It has a sweetest without being sugary and given a few hours becomes a wonderful blend...on my skin.

As a spray, it was just so-so. It didn't have much throw and I could smell a sort of floral moss in the air, but it disappears quick.

On my skin right now it is morphing into a very fresh cut grass meets mossy floral. It's sultry. It's mainly magnolia and jasmine, but the note is fresh flower stems. So green. :) I get the tiniest bit of honeyed vanilla and that adds to it and isn't too much, like a bit of humidity to the environment of the scent. It's so sweet yet not the typical sweet. Hothouse flower and green sweet with a bit of flavored smokey vanilla booze. Delightful. And it amps up this pleasant scent over time.

I guess if you don't want to take the risk with your skin, you could spray your sheets and roll around in them. ;) Maybe I should do that, I don't want to catch my death at the Cathouse by not adhering to their rules. Or break out in a skin rash from the Cathouse. Or some odd bumps.

I bought mine used. I don't think I'd pay $40 for an 8 oz bottle. I'm not a fan of the way the bottles are designed. I know they probably use a plastic bottle to make shipping less and all that, but to me, it doesn't look like a $47 dollar bottle of spray (adding the $6.50 shipping on to the $40). For $40, it should be in an amber glass bottle or something like that. I'm not sure if they are worth the price tag.

Edited by Madame Nyx

This one I expected to really love - all those gorgeous florals! After changing the sheets to my new bpal inspired bedsheets (dinner plate size magnolia blossoms & leaves on a black background) and spritzed them with Cathouse. Did I smell flowers? No. I smelled whiskey and caramel. There was a sharpness there, but it didn't seem floral. Then I left the room & came back a bit later and it smelled lovely. Not what I had expected, but lovely. The booze faded to tolerable levels and the sharp florals blended with the sweet stuff.

That night, BF climbed in bed and said "Mmmm... you smell good!". He very rarely comments on my bpal, so I was surprised. I told him "it's not me, it's something I sprayed on the bed sheets". His reply? "Nuh-uh. It's you" :lol:

I sprayed this in my bedroom to test it, and instantly I thought of St.Augustine and magnolia ave.It's a long old road near the foutain of youth (I think?)lined with trees sporting big southern magnolia blooms, and dripping with spanish moss.

It's very pretty and very girly. I didn't get much of the burbon or vanilla.

My least favorite...just got a goblin spray and I have to say that this smells a bit like cat pee to me as well as another reviewer. I wanted to love it, but I was walking around the house yesterday and was wondering if my new kitty sprayed...nope - it was located where I sprayed Cathouse...aw shucks. (The others I have tried are awesome though!)

I think I must be picking up on the magnolias or something, because when I sprayed this all I could really smell was...pears. Pretty pears! Herbal floral pears. But pears. Not what I was expecting. There is a sweet floral freshness to it, and I do like it, but not enough to invest in a full bottle.

Very floral, but in a good way. Magnolia and jasmine go very well with the honey musk. The musk, tobacco, and vanillas combine to create a sensual decadence that complements the theme beautifully. The moss is soft compared to the dominant notes, but just assertive enough to give it edge. I'm not big on florals, but I will be happy to use this.

Edited by Gwydion

Target of spraying: Curtains!

First spritz: Hmmm.. If it didn't have the flowers, I would probably have like it. Right now it smells just like my great grandmothers bathroom. Too much flowers in here :c

Half an hour later: Oh dear, no. This doesn't work for me at all! It's way too heavy on the flowers for my liking. Jasmine can never be my friend, since it has costed me a lot of migraines.

Right at first, the jasmine is the star, with magnolia coming in at a close second. I adore florals, but jasmine isn't my favorite due to its soapiness and the way it overpowers everything in its path. But here the magnolia is strong enough to keep the jasmine from being too terribly obnoxious. I also pick up a bit of Spanish moss, and maybe a little tobacco way in the background. I like this a lot, but would prefer less jasmine and more magnolia.

After about 30 minutes, the jasmine has subsided, making this a truly gorgeous fragrance. The lightening up of the jasmine allows the honey to peek out slightly, but I don't specifically notice the musk.

I could still smell it faintly on my pillow two days later - magnolia, moss, and honey.

I never did notice any vanilla, which is fine with me.

I would love to have a full bottle of this!

My rating: 5 stars

Edited by Ghost of a Rose