Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Apple

GUNPOWDER! Recs for explosive blends?

I love BPAL's gunpowder note, but I've only found it in three blends:

Agnes Nutter

Mary Read

The Phoenix

Anyone know of any other blends that feature gunpowder? Or ones that smell like gunpowder even though it's not listed in the notes?

I'm not much of a (read: DO NOT WANT!!!) gunpowder fan, but that general "burning" smell reminds me of Djinn. From the GC you could also try Brimstone, which I have only smelled on others, but makes me think of that sort of sharp metal/burning scent of gunpowder.

Thanks for the recommendations! I love Bonfire Night, but I don't detect any gunpowder in it. Scarecrow and Djinn were both terrible on me. I haven't tried Brimstone yet; I'll have to add it to my list.

To clarify, the BPAL gunpowder note doesn't smell smoky or "burning" to me... it's more like the potential for explosion, if that makes any sense. It's most pronounced in Agnes Nutter after the smoky vetiver opening act clears the stage; it's this delicious tang of fireworks... a box of sparklers waiting to be lit.

Edited by Apple

Mad Meg? It's got 'fire scorched earth' which smells like guns firing to me.

That sounds promising, assuming the cinnamon and vetiver behave themselves (I tend to amp both). I'll have to track down a decant. Thanks!

How about Hades?

Based on the reviews, it seems to vary widely on different people, but on me there's a definite gunpowder-y edge to it (even though it's not a listed note) especially before dry-down. It's my 1930s Gangster scent.

Jen

How about Hades?

Based on the reviews, it seems to vary widely on different people, but on me there's a definite gunpowder-y edge to it (even though it's not a listed note) especially before dry-down. It's my 1930s Gangster scent.

Jen

Thank you - good to know! I will have to look that one up...

ARISE, DEAD THREAD!!!

I've recently fallen in love with the Beth's gunpowder note, it meshes so well with my skin.

So, gimme some good gunpowder recs, please?

Question about the gunpowder note, since I haven't tried it yet: is it more like smoke, or dry gunpowder (no idea what that one would smell like), or that cordite smell you get after fireworks have gone off? I'd actually love to have something that smells like the latter, for sentimental reasons (the sweatshirt my dad wore when he did firework shows used to smell like it, but now I've had it so long that it just smells like me).

I've tried Tattie Bogle and Agnes Nutter, and it's definitely the cordite smell from a firework or going to a gun range. Definitely give it a try, I think you'll be pleased.

I've tried Tattie Bogle and Agnes Nutter, and it's definitely the cordite smell from a firework or going to a gun range. Definitely give it a try, I think you'll be pleased.

Agnes Nutter just moved up a few places on my wish list, then. Thanks!

The first thing that comes to mind is Gun Moll: honeycomb, red amber, narcissus, bergamot, Zanzibar clove, opium poppy, tobacco leaf, skin musk, dark fruits, night blooming jasmine, tarragon, and gunpowder. I love this blend, it's a very sophisticated, slightly perfume-y scent and the gunpowder is relatively strong and gives it an unusual edge.

Also, Tattie Bogle: Hay, gunpowder, patchouli, autumn herbs, and sun-baked wood. To me, this is most strongly autumn herbs and gunpowder.