Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tramp

Tiki King

Black coconut, black musk, lemon blossom, and ironwood bark.

wet on the skin, Tiki King is a rush of dark coconut with a touch of lemon. As it dries it becomes more a lemony woody blend. Really delicious.

Tiki King is all lemon drops and coconut on my skin at first -- this is not a sharp lemongrass lemon, nor does it smell like Lemon Pledge. It's sweet and mellow, yet bright and cheery at once.

The black musk quickly drags the lemon and coconut into a shadowy corner for some inappropriate behavior, though. It's dusky and leering, the kind of bad I'm hopelessly attracted to. The ironwood isn't noticeable enough here that it's jumping out and demanding attention -- I guess black musk's pretty good at hiding his wood. :P:D It's just a supporting background note that establishes the tone for this... encounter.

Still, after some time drying down on my skin, I keep thinking this mostly smells like naughty suntan lotion. I've never been a beach person, so I think I may have to find another home for the Tiki King to work his wiles.

Tiki King starts out much more lemony than I thought it would, but dries down quickly to a deep musky coconut. Every now and then I get sort of an odd whiff of something that I can't put my finger on, but it must be the ironwood. I don't exactly like whatever it is, but its not bad, just different. I am very curious to see how this will age. Hopefully the lemon will hang on a bit longer in my scent locket, but I really like the blend as a whole and am glad to have procured two bottles of it. Black musk is a new note I have to keep in mind for the future.

In the imp: Sharp and astringent lemon over a suntan lotion base. This smells like it would get you clean.

Wet on skin: There's an immediate left/right wrist difference with this one. At the initial application the left wrist is much sharper and more lemony with a metalic tang. The right wrist is dry, dusty coconut with a hint of something feral and musky. It will be interesting to see how this blooms. If the right wrist develops as I think it may, this one might break my heart since I only have a wee imp...

Early dry down (10 minutes): Oh. This is Not Good. Not the scent mind you, th scent is drying down to something approaching divine. The Not Good is how very little of it I have and how dreadfully hard/expensive I expect it will be to ever get any more. I mourn for my stupid budget and lost opportunity.

But onto the scent... The astringent quality of this has already faded almost completely. Both wrists now have a dry, almost dusty quality to them. For the first time I can sense the "nut" in coconut. It's a deep, rich, lush smell which reminds me more of nut oils (think macadamia nut oil) than of nuts themselves or of nut butters. It's sweet, but the musk is making this more a skin sweetness than a suntan oil one. The left wrist is a bit sharper, although the lemon is not discernible as an individual note. The right wrist is grounded and woody with an overlay of the sweet, rich, dry coconut. There is simply nothing to which to compare this... I'm stumped except to say that it is Love.

Late dry down (30 minutes): I am a sad, sad, sad girl. I am said because this beauitful and I only have an imp. I am also sad because the imp is unlikely to last long as it also fades pretty quickly. But, ah, while it lasts! Dry, rich, woody, coconut! It is heaven.

In the bottle all I can smell is dark coconut.

Wet: The lemon amps WAY up (yay!!). I'm also getting an undertone similar to Voodoo in this. It is still very much a coconut blend but there is something in the back that's almost sinister.

Dry: The lemon falls into the background a little and the woodiness comes out.

Overall this blends perfectly once it dries down. It's a really great dark, coconut blend. It's almost as if Namaste and Elegba had a love child actually.

Tiki King

In the imp: creamy coconut and tangy lemon juice. Like Carnaval Diabolique, but more lemony.

Wet on skin: the lemon gives way to coconut and musk.

Dry on skin: mmm, this is gorgeous! A truly wonderful coconut note, not dry or scrubby or ‘suntan lotion’ like most coconuts can be, this is actually like the coconut in Eden, a mix of milky and toasted coconut with a smooth undertone. The lemon adds a zingy and sunny touch. Underneath, I smell the sweet, slick, dark scent of the black musk, very much like the musk in Titus Andronicus or Desire. I don’t smell the bark. This is sexy coconut! It also reminds me of the Pearls.

After a while: ohhh, this gets really good. The lemon fades, but so does the coconut…it seems to merge into the musk. And what a musk it is-such a sultry, dark, slightly sweet, sleek and sensual. This would smell magnificent on a guy (I picture a dark, tanned and handsome man with coconut oil on his skin, walking along a tropical beach, when I smell this) but it’s also beautifully unisex. I now smell something almost like sandalwood to this, or dry palm husks. This is such a sexy scent, sweet coconut with a fantastic dark musk.

The only problem is that it seems to be getting faint quite fast, compared with the Queen who is loud and attention seeking with her bold gardenia note, the King is reserved, keeping his warm, musky coconut to himself, the scent of sun warmed coconut oil lingering gently on my skin like the memory of a beautiful summer romance…

Verdict: I wasn’t expecting to love this so, but the King is almost as wonderful as the Queen. To me, this is a darker and sexier version of Eden with a hint of Carnaval Diabolique. A really, really sexy coconut scent. It smells of sun warmed tanned skin scented with real coconut oil (not the fake suntan lotion scent) made even more wonderful by the sweet, sensual black musk. There’s a touch of wood too, and the lemon note is lovely, a hint of bright citrus which is fleeting but so pleasant. The overall scent is subtle yet oh so delicious. This is one of my new favourite coconut-heavy scents, it is everything I want from a coconut scent and then some. Beautifully unisex too. I’m so glad I got a bottle at the last minute!

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Oh yes. I’m glad I grabbed a bottle.

If you like this, try: Carnaval Diabolique, Shoggoth, Goblin, Eden, Black Pearl, Blood Pearl, Red Lantern, Elegba

In vial: lemon

Wet: smells like lemon cleaning product

dry: Now just smells like a cleaning product with something darker. Either the bark or black coconut. I don't prefer this one.

Gah. I'm heartbroken. I had such hope for this, and for all the Luau Lounges, but none of them have turned out to be what I wanted. As usual, I get no coconut. It's weird, I get coconut from almost anything else coconutty out there, except BPAL. I don't know why, but it never shows up on my skin, or even when I smell from the bottle. It's as if the note doesn't exist or something. Mostly I'm getting only the sharp wood smell that Ventriloquist Dummy turned into on me -- initially it was a favorite scent, but something in my chemistry changed, and it went very bad on me. Tiki King is doing the same nasty thing.

:P

In the bottle – The coconut and lemon blossom, with just a hint of musk behind them

Wet on me – Again the coconut and the lemon blossom dominate

Dry on me – Sweet soft woods, comforting in a masculine sort of way

Overall – I was a bit scared by the possibility of the black musk, but overall this is a very nice blend

In the Bottle: Coconut, musk.

On me: Mmm, this is so nice! It's definitely a darker coconut blend. the musk and lemon blossom really bring some life to this. Love!

Tiki King goes through two phases on my skin, both reminding me of LUSH products. It starts off smelling exactly like Avobath, very sharp, bright, refreshing lemongrass. When it dries down, this smells like I Should Coco soap. It's like a mix of something dry and wooden (almost smells like cardboard) with dry coconut shavings.

This isn't quite the dark, masculine coconut blend I was hoping for, but I do still like it on myself and on my boy. The sharp, lemony start isn't my thing, but the coconut drydown is interesting and makes me feel very summer-y :P

So, I was a very good girl and didn't order this one because the word "lemon" appears in the description, even though everything else looked beautiful... Why does there have be an exception to prove the rule??

My decant of Tiki King DOES smell sharp and lemony in the vial. Wet on my skin, it does indeed tend toward the evil lemon pledge. But... then it's gone! *POOF* :D

And magically it's a beautiful, dark, husky coconut. With a nice velvety-soft musk underneath. Quite dry, a little bitter. Definitely no Hawaiian Tropic here! (yay)

The throw in general is much less than I'd hope for, meaning I'd have to really slather to get the best effect. (sad with my little imp!) But it's very lovely. I :P Tiki King.

This is a power mashup of black musk and coconut. And it should be horrible. But it isn't as bad as I thought. The black musk is powdery, but it offsets the power of the coconut.

So I get this soft coconut powdery blend with a wood overlay. Much prettier than anticipated. I even have to say this might be my favorite blend with coconut in it. And definitely a lovely surprise!

Count me in as a hardcore fan of this one!

Easily goes into my top 10 Bpal

Gorgeous rich coconut, with a sweet lemon to it as well. The lemon overpowers a tiny bit at first but fades down as the musk comes out. The black musk is NOTHING like civet musk (which i also LOVE). The throw and wear length on this is alot stronger than alot of my other oils.

Very easily unisex

No powder, no cleaning products just :P

I am so glad I got 2 bottles of this one as I am going through it so fast that it isn't funny!

Edited by khiseer

Rummy, smoky, ripe pineapple. The pineapple is still there, along with the smoke. But not like pineapple on the grill.

Imp: Coconut but not sticky sweet coconut. And the lemon

Wet on Me: now..dark wood and the musk over the coconut. Damn fine!

Drying Down: The wood stands out over the lemon and coconut to me. But not in an overpowering way.

Dry: This is a pirate scent. A woody, rummy, dark, all man scent. Which smells rather lovely.

Hmmm. In the imp and wet, I smell nothing but coconut. After it dries, it gets powdery and smells like the skin of my favorite doll when I was a child. Weird.

In the bottle: fruity coconut.

Wet: bright citrus and dusty coconut. It smells delicious. It's definitely a sunny, warm weather scent.

Drydown: It continues to be fruity, but the brightness mellows and allows the coconut to sweeten, and the woodiness come out.

Throw: medium. I can smell it when my arms are moving around. And I did not skimp when applying.

This lasts several hours on me.

I wish I had bought another bottle.

Tiki King is a smooth smelling blend of dark coconut husk with a hint of lemon, especially when wet. Very warm and dry blend. Reminds me of Elegba and I like it quite a bit! No sweet, foody coconut here :P

First sniff: A very manly coconut over warm wood and a waft of bright tartness.

Wearing: Musky coconut heaven, and a little bit of lemon.

In the bottle all I can smell is what smells like bark, with a dry musky scent to it, tinged with the slightest hint of something sweet. I don't know that the something sweet is what I would associate with coconut, but it lends it an irresistible edge. The whole thing smells a bit like something that my stylist puts in my hair as a treatment after dying my hair. It certainly isn't a bad smell, but it is a "fresh" scent and reminds me of cleanliness. There is something in this that - very, very dimly - reminds me of Buck Moon in some way, and I'm probably the only person on earth who has that association.

The first time I applied it, I was at work so I used a q-tip and took some off of the cap. On my skin, the sweet smell became very, very strong, the bark/wood smell melded into the musk quite nicely, there is some sort of very dull note in there that is almost trying to be a tang that still manages to be lovely... and I fell in love. I still don't smell a lot of real coconut. I think I remember a lot of people describing "suntan lotion coconut" or something like that, but I'm not getting that either. All I'm getting is this really fresh, really sweet smell.

The bark scent is the first thing to fade completely, along with the sharper scent that was lingering reluctantly in the background when I first applied it. By the time I left work, it was completely gone, so sadly Tiki King doesn't seem to have much staying power. I think I'm going to keep it anyways, as even without a long pull, it still packs a nice momentary punch.

I couldn't resist the lure of a new prize, and re-applied Tiki King in my truck before I left work... and was shocked. I hadn't read the notes in Tiki King in a long time nor had I looked at the reviews. I had completely forgotten about the fact that there was a lemon blossom note until I was kicked with it in the face when I applied it a second time. I think that was not only part of the tang, but also part of the sweetness that I was smelling. I pretty much guessed what it was, and when I got home, kind of had a dunce moment when I read the notes listed for Tiki King. I still don't get why I didn't smell it the first time around though.

The lemon blossom was a lot stronger this time, as was the coconut. I don't think it is the coconut that people are describing as the "suntan lotion" element, I think it is actually the lemon blossom which really smells very sweet. I could be wrong, but I think that is it. What I now know to be ironwood bark takes a complete back seat to a well-blended coconut and black musk with whiffs of strong lemon blossom that send roiling waves of sweetness around you.

Predictably the lemon blossom is the first to tone down, but it doesn't leave completely and instead the ironwood bark and black musk depart, leaving a hint of lemon blossom and a bit of coconut that lingers after an hour or two. Once again, this confirms that Tiki King doesn't have much throwing power. This makes me sad as it reacts very well with my skin chemistry along the entire way, but the bottle I have will be very much loved and I may even have to get more even if I have to re-apply continuously.

i'm not a fan of the scent of coconut in fragrances, but this is actually quite nice.

it blends with the musk and wood so well it takes on a totally different kind of feel than it usually has.

i'm digging this one big time.

a nice summer feel to this.

unfortunately, it turns quite powdery on me after about 20 minutes.

This is kinda cool.

It's dark coconut, which would make sense considering the description says "Black Coconut". When I say dark I mean it's not a sweet sweet fake suntan coconut. It's more like a shady black one. And it's the base of the scent from wet to dry.

The lemon comes forward on drydown and it's Lemon Blossom for sure. It's not..lemon rind or lemon juice. I really really get a Van Van vibe from this...also..it reminds me of Hay Moon. Both of which I thought smelled very similar. It's that almost herbal dry lemony element that's in this blend!

The wood is in the background adding to the dryness of this scent but it's not overtaking.

It becomes more lemon herbaly when it's dry with a hint of coconut.

It's really quite unusual to my nose, and I'm so glad I got to try it!