Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tramp

Tiki King

Tiki King!

Black coconut, black musk, lemon blossom, and ironwood bark.

Oh. my. I got my full set of decants today, so here I sit, eating fresh pineapple and sniffing Tiki King.

In the bottle it is suntan lotion and something spa-like. I can picture a darkly tanned man in a crisp linen suit with no shoes wearing this. It's gorgeous black coconut with a hint of lemon blossom. The black musk makes it complex and steamy.

I must have a bottle!

Edited by Shollin

Rich coconut and a glisten of lemon - and the bark and musk are lingering in the background like smoke. Really nice - sexy like a good summer night.

The surprise hit of the Tikis for me. This smells like X-rated suntan lotion...dark, dry coconut, a hint of lemony zing, and oh my god, that black musk is absolutely filthy and I need to try more blends featuring it. This has amazing staying power--I showered (with soap!) and could still smell it on my arm afterwards! Gorgeous. I didn't get an overly manly vibe from this. Will be wonderful on hot summer days!

My first tiki orders were Tiki King and Opuhi, the first two that caught my eye and ordered before any reviews came out.

I am so not disappointed!!

In the bottle I can really smell a lot of the wood, lemon, and a teeny bit of coconut.

On my skin it's all wood and musk.

But since I wear everything in a scent locket lately (my skin is starting to react to the oils and getting itchy, ick.) I'm really only concerned with how it smells in the locket. And in the locket it is fab!! I'm getting a lot of dark musk with some lemon to brighten it and a coconut wood bottom note.

I keep sniffing the locket directly and sighing. Mmm.

What hits me first in this is certainly the coconut, which I LOVE, but there's a wonderful rough, dark, woody feel to it. It reminds me as much of the outside of the coconut as the inside. The black musk is delightfully dangerous and masculine (and doesn't smell a bit like baby powder on me!) and the ironwood bark... just WOW! I think of this as being a cousin to Polyhymnia, which also has the barky, smoky, lemony feel, but this is less herbal overall, and the coconut adds an interesting creamy undertone. I love this. I can imagine wearing this in many circumstances,

This is awesome!

When I first smelled it from the bottle it was pure lemons and creamy coconut.

When first applied it was mostly lemons. Nice fresh lemons, but not what I wanted, still the coconut was present.

Dry, its just perfect! Its mostly lovely, creamy coconut and a a splash of lemons. Just delicious!

This is definitely a keeper... so glad I ordered back up bottles :P

In the Bottle

A smoky, intense coconut.

On Me

Wow! A sophisticated, dark coconut, initially, with a twinge of something else going on. Fades down a little, then I get the ironwood coming into the picture, and it's utterly gorgeous. (I LOVE woody blends, and I love coconut, but a lot of the time, coconut goes... kooky on me. This...? Not at ALL.) Like someone else said, it reminds me of the outside of the coconut as well as the inside. I didn't really get the lemon scent-- there IS a touch of something buzzy and alive-- it's not a sedate fragrance-- but my chemistry tends to amp lemon, and thankfully, it didn't.

Folks, this is an absolute winner. It smells real, not that fake sunscreen coconut, and in spite of its dark intensity, it's a happy-making scent for me. It's totally universal, genderwise, too-- guys could wear this, girls could wear this, and the result would be a happy, sexy fun-loving awesome. It just works.

And the life of this is amazing, too-- just before I went to bed, I could still smell it on me. Yummy and brilliant.

(I ordered a bottle about an hour before it came down, and I'm SO fricken glad.

Also, major thankyous to Shackjj for getting my decant out to me whipsmart. I came close to ordering it initially, but didn't, and had I not gotten my decant in a timely fashion, I'd have missed out.)

Edited by LadyLuckDoubt

This is sexy, strong, and masculine. On me, it smells mostly of lemon and musk. There is a certain sweetness to the undertones that suggests hints of coconut. I like this for a guy, but on me there is a subtle "darkness" to Tiki King that isn't quite vibing with my chemistry. I'm assuming that's the bark note playing tricks on me. The darkness hits me nose sort of the same way vetiver does; deep, earthen and slightly icky on me. That being said, this would be exquisite on a guy, and I would love to have a Tiki King that would wear this. :P

This is a strong blend, long lasting and much throw.

Tiki King - This is a gorgeous scent! I was wary of it initially, as black musk never works on me. I was incredibly surprised by how gorgeous and sexy this scent is on me. The dominant note is the ironwood bark, which smells remarkably like a dark sandalwood on me. It blends gorgeously with the coconut, making this scent mostly a woody-coconut scent on my skin over a soft layer of velvet, with the tiniest hint of a floral back behind all the other notes. It's gorgeous and every time I catch a bit of it wafting around me, I sigh and want to go live on a beach in Hawaii. I really love this and think it's going to age gorgeously. The throw is quite strong and the staying power is about average on me.

I received my Tiki Queen and King decants today and couldn't wait to try them out.

First impression of Tiki King: Vanilla? Where is that coming from? Oh, after reading the list of notes it must be the coconut. Now I'm smelling a lot of lemon. Yum.

After about ten minutes of wearing I smell more lemon with a slight hint of musk. I really like this scent. The lemon is perfect. No Lemon Pledge feel, which I get sometimes when I wear lemony perfumes. This is more like fresh lemons, rather than an obviously fake scent. My only wish is that the coconut, bark, and musk notes stood out a bit stronger. I'll definitely use the decant but I'm kind of glad I didn't get a full bottle.

Coconut is always a prominent note on me, so the King is mostly that! The whole thing is heavily reminiscent of Brown Jenkins, with the musk and the bark, but it strikes me as a little more regal and slightly more unisex. The lemon lifts the coconut to a less cloying feel than usual.

Incidentally, two guys I asked the opinions of on this smelt mint and spices, although the verdict was still "nice". And very different to how it smells in the bottle!

Edited by Jenesis

in the bottle: a sandalwood note that must be the ironwood bark, and some lemon.

wet on skin: sweet lemon, like lemonade.

dry down: i'm getting the wood, the lemon and a bit of musk. sadly, i can't pick up on any coconut in this mix.

in all: glad i have a bottle for sure, and i guess i can always mix in a little upa upa if i want to amp up the coconut!

:P

This is a morpher on me.

At first it was the war of the Coconut and Lemon Cleaning Solution. For a good twenty minutes.

And then the war ended and Coconut won but must have been heavily injured because soon after the coconut (supported gently by a gentle woodiness, recognized by the tickle on the back of my throat all woods tend to give me) faded into a musky, resinous powdery sort of scent, with what has to be the ironwood bark in the background.

An hour or so later, and the lemon blossom opens up and gently perfumes the air.

I have to say that this was not at all what I was expecting, but it's really quite pretty and definitely a keeper.

Definitely get the lemon blossom/balm of Carnival Diabolique, plus slight hint of coconut and sunscreen. I am not disappointed I didn't get a bottle.

damnit, i had high hopes for this one. i love coconut, citrus and black musk, however, something in this turns to pencil-shavings, much like cedar and frankincense do on my skin. i think perhaps the ironwood bark is the culprit here, but i'm not sure. it adds a sourness to the lemon blossom, and then turns to pencil shavings and lemon. i don't even get any coconut from this at all.

:P to my skin chemistry.

Edited by theseagrows

In bottle: sharp lemon

On skin: coconutty citrus, like Tarot: The Star

Half-hour later: the coconut has gone from juicy meat to dry husk. Wood will amp on me like nobody's business, but any sharpness is tempered by the sweet sugary lemon

In conclusion: this is quite a morpher; I picture a tropical drink arriving in a hollowed-out coconut, and after the drink is gone you have the empty shell that's sticky from the booze and juice. I wish it would hang around more, but I'm glad I have a bottle to drunkenly slosh around.

I got this one expecting it to be a lovely coconut scent, but as it turns out my skin has decided to amp the musk and ignore the coconut. :P It starts out mainly as MUSK with a bit of lemon and a dark bit of woodiness in the background. After it's been dry for a while I can sort of smell the coconut creeping in, but it only adds a bit of creaminess to the musk, really. Even though this is not what I expected it to be, I still really enjoy it, it's definitely a very sexy musk scent and I love how the lemon adds a bit of edge to it all.

At first all I can smell is a fresh light lemon over coconut. Neither note is bowling me over, they're both playing nicely together. It's creamier-smelling than I thought it would be. Not sharp at all. Usually lemon is a little too tangy for me, but this lemon blossom is pretty nice.

After it's completely dry, mostly it smells like a woody scent with a little bit of coconut. Very slightly tropical, I guess, but not too much. Oddly, I'm not getting a whole lot of musk out of this. It must be blending so well with the bark note that I can't pick it out.

I like this scent, but it's not going to unseat Brown Jenkins as my favorite coconut scent.

bottle: lemons and coconut, this definitely smells like the beach.

wet: much more lemony, but a creamy suntan oil lemon. the coconut is an afterthought very light yet persistent.

dry: the woodsiness comes out a bit as this one dries, i'm thinking i'll age this one up a bit and see how it's matured.

In the bottle: creamy coconut with a side of lemon. Mmm.

On me, wet: much the same, except everything gets bigger. It's like getting a big warm hug from a coconut in a lemon grove. (Or a lemon in a coconut grove, I'm not choosy.) But it's not sweet at all... there's nothing cloying here, it's all just rich and creamy.

On me, dry: as this dries, the musk and the ironwood bark start to creep out of the background. I'd been somewhat scared of both notes as I just had no idea how they'd play out on me. Turns out they're both lovely. They don't take over at all... they just add more depth to what's already a pretty great scent at this point.

Throw and duration: good throw, and average duration. (I get 6+ hours out of this.)

Overall: On the one hand, Tiki King is hands down the least tropical of the Tikis I've tried. The coconut doesn't smell very tropical to me... maybe because it's not very sweet? The other elements aren't ones I necessarily associate with tropical locales. (I know nothing about ironwood bark, of course.)

On the other hand, Tiki King is totally gorgeous. It's exactly what I wanted out of this scent... sort of regal and sophisticated without being cloyingly sweet or turning into Lemon Pledge. It's the most "serious" feeling Tiki I've tried, and definitely feels more mature than the Queen to me. It's got such nice creaminess and complexity, and wafts about beautifully. So nice.

Tiki King is love. I'm so glad I blind bought a bottle of it while waiting for my decant.

MANLY SUNTAN LOTION! :P

This does smell like suntan lotion, and I mean that in the best possible way. It has a very smooth and subtle coconut and a delicious lemon note backed by a woody, masculine and dry scent. Simply lovely, I adore this one!

This is what I was hoping Tiki Queen would be like. I was a little nervous with the dark musk and coconut but this is amazing. It's a sexy walk along the beach at sundown. Growing up at the beach, this is where Tiki King takes me. It smells like a long, hot kiss. Coconut and lemon mixed with sweat. Okay, that may not sound good but it is. Absolute lust.

Wet, this is very citrusy. The lemon really is strongest here but it dries down to an incredible coconut. It's not sweet at all. The musk is perfect and I dislike most musks, they end up overwhelming everything, but not here! This is really a dark coconut with what I always wish musk could be. Although this is Tiki King, it's not masculine to me at all. It may not have florals or sweetness but this is the smell of the sexiest woman in the world. I wish I had bought more than one bottle.

ETA:

1. I have found that there are definitely times of the month that I can't wear it as it turns to nasty gym BO. No idea how something this amazing can go so nasty on me but if you had a bad experience with TK, I would recommend trying it again. I've never had a scent that morphed this dramatically due to ovulation.

2. One year later, this has aged to absolute perfection. I thought it was amazing last year, but not it's even softer and sexier. I can't resist it and neither can DH. :P

Edited by vanillaoakmoxy

when wet i get a straight up shot of black coconut, but it quickly fades and is swallowed up by the lemon. this isn't a terribly astringent or lemon pledge note, it blends quite well. as it dries the dryness of the wood emerges, giving this an almost smoked scent.

this seems fresh and unisex. i like it! though i can agree with the 'manly suntan oil' comment. i totally see that, but it's not entirely unpleasant.

This is MY next Schwarzer Mond. No, it doesn't smell like my beloved SM, but it is right on up there with it in terms of favoritism.

I don't get the wood references that other people do. I smell dark, dreamy, sexy (black?) coconut & musk with a twinge of lemon verbena. Not lemon candy, but herby lemon verbena. On my skin the lemon just peeks out every so often to catch my attention, its the dark musky coconut that stands out for me.

I've sniffed all three bottles, trying to see if there is some variation, hoping to catch the elusive (for me) wood smells. Nope, they all smell the same. Which is gorgeous :P

Tiki King is mostly wood and musk on my skin. At first I was a little worried because it's almost powdery. But I've tried it a couple times and I think I really like it, maybe not for everyday wear, but something to definitely hold onto.

The wood reminds me strongly of Mort De Cesar, and I agree with the post that mentioned sandalwood....it reminds me a lot of sandalwood too. I think this combined with black musk is what makes it seem slightly powdery. But it works for the scent....I could imagine this would be great for special occasions. The lemon is a slight accent, and the coconut seems to be just barely there, a supporting note. Maybe after some aging these will come out more.

Overall, I'm happy with my bottle. It's a unique and compelling scent. The power of the Tiki King compels you! : )