Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
coldandsleepy

Hexennacht (2008)

The Night of the Witches. In the Teutonic calendar, April 30, not October 31, was the night that the witches congregated to celebrate their Work through ecstatic dance, wild music and revelry. The witches fêted with spirits, fairies, and a bevy of otherworldy creatures atop Brockenberg peak in the Harz region of Germany, where they lit an enormous bonfire and cavorted naked until midnight... at which point they donned their robes, boarded their brooms, flying rams and sacred goats, scooped up their cat familiars, and sped off into the night. In later days, it was believed that on this night the witches conjured the devil, who would then select one of them for his bride. This perfume is the scent of the witches' revel: German fir and forest herbs, incense and bonfire smoke, infernal flora, glowing amber, and the wet, glimmering scent of skin warmed by dance.

(Okay, based on the Beltane thread last night, I'm making a new thread for this one because the Lab description has changed slightly. :eek: If it should actually be part of the old Hexennacht thread, sorry!)

In the bottle: hello fir trees! And incense! The incense smells like the part of Sleepy Moon that's not the opium and not the lavender to me. Yummy!

On me, wet: the fir is much more mellow than expected, though it is still holding its own. The incense note is only getting more beautiful. I'm also getting a really gorgeous but gentle amber note along with a little musk. And is that... yes, it is! A little bonfire smoke! Aside from the infernal flora and forest herbs, which my nose may be lumping in with the incense, the gang is all here!

On me, dry: same as wet, except a little more herbal.

Throw and duration: throw's a bit above average. ETA: it's been almost five hours and this is still going strong. Yay!

Overall: You should know that I've never smelled the old Hexennacht, so I can't draw any comparisons. That said, Hex '08 rocks my socks. What's amazing about this blend, at least as it plays out on my skin, is how gentle all of these often strong notes are in it. They really work together instead of one of them rising up and stomping all the others down. It's not a fir scent, it's not an incense scent, it's not an amber scent, and it's not a musk scent... it's a really gorgeous combination thereof.

I'm super happy I picked up a bottle of it, and will definitely be hanging on to this puppy.

in the bottle it's yule! well, that's not what i was looking for at all. i'm also getting flashbacks of old moon, which was so pretty until it turned into cheap candle on my skin.

wet on skin fir, fir, and fir. ho, boy.

dry on skin holy morphing! as soon as this starts to sink into my skin, it starts doing all kinds of bizarre things. the first thing is that the amber starts amping until that's all i can smell for a while. after a while, the floral and incense start to heat up with just a suggestion of woodsmoke that's really evocative, really cool, especially with the fir lurking around again under the amber. after another hour, though, it goes incredibly weird on me and starts to smell like something warm and very greasy, almost foody. it makes me feel a little bit nauseated, to be honest. finally, an hour after that, what's left is the incense and the fir which is bringing christmas back to mind in a big way.

i've struck out so far with every evergreen scent from the lab to date. maybe it's just not a suitable note with my body chemistry, although my near unreasonable love of samhain wouldn't seem to bear that out. at any rate, i'm willing to let this age for a little bit and see what happens, just out of curiosity. it's a wild ride and it interests me enough to keep watching.

Dancing naked there

bodies glisten, moonlight shines

fir trees whisper prayer

sooo.....can you tell I really like Hex? Like the buildup of a dancing frenzy, this scent starts subtle and builds in intensity as I wear it. At first, I get faint, soft skin musk and a hint of fir. As I wear it, the amber and incense start to come out, and there's a definite green herbiness as well. The barest breath of florals settles around the other notes to round this out on my skin. This is a blend that evokes dark, wet, green forests at night. While to me, it is a cool scent (as it reminds me of cool fall nights), the skin musk should allow this to be worn year round.

Edited by scarletgenesis

In the bottle this doesn't really smell like much of anything. Maybe slightly piney.

On skin it's immediately overwhelmingly pine. I normally love pine but this is rather artificial smelling pine, like generic, drugstore men's cologne :l There's a very slight sweetness in the background but aside from that, yep, pine. Doesn't smell anything like original, and beautiful, Hex to me. Not even a similarity. In fact, the second time I tested it I got kind of queasy and my head started hurting. :[

Oh well.

I adore the original Hex so much. To bath in it daily would be the ultimate for me. So I was so excitd for the re-release. Deep, smokey, heady, resiny. Just gorgeous.

in the bottle: soap. Ivory soap with a hint of fir trees. My hope was that this was a trickster type scent. Smells differently once applied.

on the skin: piercing soap with a touch of dryer sheet floral WTF?. My heart began to weep at this moment of realization that this Hex is not even close to my beloved original.

30 minutes later- the headache I now have is horrific. I am almost on the verge of tears because of this one. the piercing soapy scent with a touch of floral never disapated or settled down. There was no wet gleaming skin, or wood smoke anywhere to be sniffed.

I had to wash it off. I am not sure age will help this one at all. This is not even close to the orignal Hex.

Hex 08 has broken my heart. :P

Edited by Willowm()()n

In bottle/imp: Herbal pine over a musky amber background.

Immediately on skin: Woo, pine! I’m sure it’s fir, but I have a hard time discerning between the different pine notes. This has other things in the background though that are quite pleasant: a soft smokiness, a soft hint of florals, and maybe a little light musk. The fir and herbs combine as the main note though and create a shrieking, sharp mostly pine scent with the other things barely coming through from the background.

After a little while: This is a very cologne-y type of pine scent on me, with some musky smoke in the background. The fir note is thick and sharp and very strong, while the other notes barely come through. This has a nice base to the scent, but it’s so faint I have to search for it.

Overall Impressions: I should have known better than to try this since I hate strong pine scents. The fir note is center stage here, while a hint of warm musk and smoke makes up the base. This is a very unisex scent on me, and the pine has a very strong cologne type of feel. I can appreciate this scent, but it’s not for me… not at all.

bottle: amber and musky pine.

wet: very piney, reminds me a great deal of old moon and moon of ice, but in a less snowy way...

dry: this is just like old moon on me one it dries, very piney and pretty.

I don't think I can smell pine in this but but rather the smell of freshly cut wood or even sap from the tree. I love the light amber that gets stronger the longer you wear it, mingling softly with some light florals. It is as nice and light as the original is heavy and strong, like cousins but distant cousins. I tried this on at WC and loved it then and ordered multiple bottles and I am not sorry I did. This is one scent that I know will only get better with age.

Pine usually turns rank on me, so Hexennacht was a big risk, but I think it turned out well. Yes, the most obvious note is pine, but there are so many different things going on in this one that it's hard to focus just on that. I absolutely love the amber infused with incense that's the base of the scent, and don't even get me started on the faint trace of smoke -- it really ties the whole thing together. All these notes make for a very...heavy sensory experience, but I think Hex is perfect for a special occasion that calls for a more decadent perfume.

4/5

IN THE BOTTLE: Green growing things.

WET ON SKIN: Damp pine needles, like the forest after a rain. Fresh, vibrant, alive. It definitely smells like spring.

DRYDOWN: The forest smells are fading now, bringing out the smoke and incense, and the barest hint of amber. Mmmm, nice.

DRY: Damn, it's gone soapy. It's a very nice amber soap, but it's still soap.

This *could* be a body chemistry issue. I'm on a combination of antibiotics and painkillers right now, thanks to some recent outpatient surgery. Will try it again after I'm off the meds, because I really like this one up until that final soap note kicked in.

Ok so back when I was just a new little BPAL virgin, someone sent me an imp of the old Hex not realizing I think how much of a treasure they had. I loved it, my mom loved it. It was all smoke, skin musk and light green almost sweet herbals.

Jump with me to 08. It is the cousin, but not a first degree relative of the first, and I love it for itself. It is pine, but not fake Pinsol pine or Christmas tree scent in a spray bottle. This is so well blended, and on my skin, it is fantastic. I get skin musk, pine, herbs, and a hint of smoke. I know my original sample was aged when I got it. And this will age beautifully too. I am hoping more smoke comes out as it gets older. I loved this so much, I bought another bottle from a fellow BPALer who was kind enough to sell me one of her extras. Gotta say, another winner for me. :P

HEXENNACHT 2008

In Bottle: Musky outdoors

On Skin: The fir is the dominant note, but this isn’t a crisp fir, this is a soft and heavy fir. It has the smoke of incense drifting around it, and the dark night air. It is indeed a scent of darkness, lit by a glowing red fire. The colors it brings to mind are dark green, red and black. The amber gives a gorgeous resinous velvet base and helps soften the fir’s sharp needles. There is a sweet spice in the background and a light herbal note. I love that this scent is both cool and hot. A blend full of contrasts. A medium throw with a long wearlength on me.

I really liked the old Hex, but it gave me a headache.

New Hex smells nothing like old Hex to me.

It is piney pine with a side of pine and pine sauce.

If you adore pine, this is the oil for you.

:P

ETA: It is lovely in the deep drydown, and it is growing on me.

Edited by eleventhousand

Hexennacht 08 is quite different from the original Hex, but I always welcome reformulations because I like to see the new ways that Beth interprets in the same concept.

I smell a soft, muted fir and woods but they are brightened by the amber and skin musk. There is a strong sense of earth and forest in this. A hint of smoke and incense really accentuates the amber and glistening skin. Overall, this blend gives me a strong visual image of flickering bonfire light that casts a golden glow on forest evergreens. There is a haze of smoke that wafts up into the night air and a sense of revelry. This is a true work of art and, while different from the original, deserves just as much attention.

Strong throw, long wear length. I bet it's good as a room scent, too. =)

at first hexennacht smells just like really fresh, sweet fir trees. a forest after a spring rain. it reminds me very much of wolf moon 07, at first- but underneath is the smoky incense and a warm amber glow. the fir softens as it dries and it mellows out into a soft, woodsy, rather autumnal scent. it seems to stay very close to my skin. not much throw, but really pleasant. i like scents that are woodsy without being overtly masculine!

The original Hexennacht is a great and eternal love for me and I'm glad to see the concept revisited -- this is completely different, but equally gorgeous, and perhaps even more suitable for this time of year. Unlike the slightly sour and smoky undertones in the original (which I adored for those qualities!) this is much more fresh, clear and crisp. It is the scent of the evergreens in spring, wet and verdant with new growth.

I actually don't get much of the deeper musk or amber notes, though I imagine they are helping to anchor this in place -- it might become too light and high pitched without them to ground it. A clean, earthy evergreen, the sun-warmed pines no longer laden with snow. I've been wearing it in my hair and skin behind my ears and reapplying for a couple of days. Like many natural scents, it also really comes to life when you're out in the woods yourself, and the fragrance warms on your skin as you walk and let the woodsy air lift it up around you.

Bottle: Pine

Wet: Pine, smoke and incense, sexy on someone more dangerous than me! On me it seems like I'm playing dressup!

Drydown: This is a very sexy scent, but it's just not matching my personality. Might try it on my husband later.

3.0 outta 5

Porcelina hit the nail on the head with her review! At first, it really does smell like fresh fir trees, cleansed from spring rain. Gorgeous. It doesn't remind me of Christmas at all, and my parents usually get a fir which I love to huff when I visit them. Then it smells a LOT like beloved Wolf Moon 06/07, with the pine, amber, and musk, but with more forest. As it morphs, it really reminds me of camping up in the Wisconsin Northwoods. The scent of the pine forest, the needle carpeted ground (can't smell the flora at all, but it may be that it's blended so well it just reminds me of the pine forest and needled floor altogether), and the slightly musky aroma of your beloved beside you, settling down after chopping firewood. We usually bring sticks of incense to put in our campfire, and I do also smell the incense in this blend.

Sorry for the rambling. I'll just say this is wonderful, gorgeous, and I'm glad I bought two bottles. I will slather it on myself, and Mr. Babylon will probably steal the other bottle. It's definitely not too masculine, but does have the woodsy aroma that he loves, with some deep mystery (incense, amber, musk) added for good measure.

Edited by Babylon

In bottle: Fir and amber

Wet: Fir, herbs, and woodsmoke

Dry: Sweet fir and skin musk

Verdict: Very evocative, this does call to mind the Northwoods as a previous reviewer mentioned. I can almost hear the loons calling across the lake in the gathering dusk. I don't think of a frenzy of witches when I smell this. I think of a quiet summer night spent on the porch of a lakeside cabin. Definitely a keeper.

Something about this oil hates me. In the drydown it gets a note of body odor, and then goes sickly sweet. I might wait and see if it ages better, but I'm really disappointed. I love pine :P

What this reminds me of: Old Moon, Doc Constantine, Wolf Moon 2007.

What this does not remind me of: Hexennacht 2005. :P

The fir is piercing, and there's a powderiness that I usually associate with 'snowy' scents. On my skin, it warms up, the amber shining through the veil of evergreen, becoming warm, sweet, and a bit grassy...but it's just a scent. It doesn't evoke any of the feelings or memories that old Hex did. Sad I am. :D

What more can I say that hasn't been said already. This is nothing like the old Hexennacht. It's very much a dark green fir scent. And I'm with suileach on the snow-feeling of it. Very much a cool, almost cold, scent. It has amazing staying power and by the end of the day (15 hours later) is still very noticeable on my wrists. The remains are a lot warmer than the scent was the first few hours. More of the amber, I guess.

I don't like snow/slush notes very much, but I'm willing to give it another try. It certainly fitted the need for sth green on this virgo moon day. And right now it's a lot nicer than before.

I also got a comment at work about how nice my office room smelled ("like essential oils, isn't it?" :P), so apparently that colleague likes this type of scent better than I do.

I guess this'll go on the swap pile sooner or later, because I like my scents warmer and the new Hex (on me) takes a looooong time to warm up.

I haven't had a chance to formally sit and test this, but I did sample it a few times right after receiving it.

After one of those samplings, my friend said it smelled very much like fir or pine on me.

I was hoping for a little more musk and smoke... but I will try again.

Lately I've been wearing everything in my scent locket(s) so I'll do this one day on wrists and in locked both and see what happens.

I love Hexennacht! :P

In the bottle it smells like pine. On me, it changes... sometimes it reminds me of Christmas, and of curling up in front of the fireplace with a book. Other times, it's the smell of a bonfire in the mountains - lots of smoke with the occasional waft of pine. Hexennacht has such a strong smokey note that after sniffing my arm deeply, I expect my clothes and my hair to smell like smoke as well! It's very realistic. I'm really tempted to get another bottle... I keep going back and forth on if I should. As much as I love this scent, I don't think I'll wear it very often. (I work in an office and I can't see myself wearing it there... to me it's more of an weekend/outdoor or a reading at home scent.) I will definitely treasure the bottle I have; I'm so glad that I got it!