Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pineapple, mandarin orange, raspberry, passion fruit, and rum.

Aww. I think this poor decant may have aged past its expiration date, or my sniffer is broken. I can barely smell this, even wet after heavy application, and what I can smell is wildberry Lifesaver. Like a lone Lifesaver at the very bottom of your bag, giving off faint wafts of fake berry while it gets slowly pulverized by your stuff. I think it may be the sweetness of the rum giving the raspberry a generic berry candy aspect. I couldn't detect the pineapple at all. After a few minutes, I gave up and put on something else.

Wet, pineapple. Yup, that sure is pineapple. For anyone hunting for pineapple-y scents, this is the one with the heaviest pineapple note I've tried.

Also, for those of you that fear the booze notes, I'm looking for the rum and not really finding it. This smells just like some sort of delicious tropical juice to me, although I think I might prefer to drink it rather than wear it. The other fruits (orange and raspberry, which I can pick out if I huff hard) keep the pineapple from being overly sweet.

As it dries, the pineapple fades a little and the rum starts to peek its head out a little bit, but it mostly stays true. The heavy pineapple makes me think of pina coladas and I start to almost smell a phantom coconut note in there. :)

Warm fruity and not too boozy! Rum works better with my chemistry than gin. Sweet pineapple and passion fruit are most prominent with sweet spicy rum. This is my favorite out of the bunch!

GC version

Getting mostly the first three; it's candied pineapple on me, though the kick of alcohol is more of a fizz here. As it dries, the mandarin comes out with the rum and most of the fizz is gone--it's just sweet liquid (thanks, mandarin >> it's a little too much). Throw starts off strong, but as is dries, throw shrinks back and wafts. more drying and the fruit it like a crushed mixture--less sweetness. Didn't get much passion fruit

Very pleasant in imp, nice light fruity scent. Actually gets stronger when it hits my skin, mainly getting pineapple and raspberry. Very little rum, thank goodness. I really liked this one, but the throw is very light and it fades quickly. Will use up imp but probably not get a bottle.

Another half-full imp from lab! :-/

(this is my review of the gc version of this scent, my original review is here.)

imp: scary chemical pineapple.

wet: sweet fresh pineapple and rum! this smells almost like a pina colada except for the lack of coconut.

dry: the pineapple fades to a soft, sweet "fruit" scent above a light rum scent. much more subdued than the le version.

GC Version

I don't like Rangoon Riptide in the imp. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the rum. It's just this whiff of UGH I get when I first inhale that goes away after a few seconds, leaving a boozy pineapple behind.

On my skin it's pineapple with something warm below it and a spot of lipgloss raspberry, but it's mostly pineapple. As it dries the pineapple gets softer, and by the time it's completely dry I've ended up with something that's so soft I have to be right next to my arm to smell it. From what I can find, it sort of gives me a pink-and-pineapple impression. I like it but I'd have to slather.

Edited by karen

In the imp: Citrus rum. Not bad, but definitely in your face about it.

Wet on skin: The orange and pineapple seem to be having a boxing match with the rum coming between them. Neither wants to give up dominance.

Dry: The passion fruit gives this a tart edge and the pineapple won and is drinking the rum while the orange sits off to the sidelines trying to become invisible.

Overall: Not something I'd reach for.

Ooh, I can really smell the oranges and pineapple in this. It's even fruitier on my skin, but lightly boozy too. Rangoon Riptide fades at a quicker rate, though. I've only had in on for a few minutes and it's already losing its brightness. It's the type of blend that I would reach for when I want to lift my spirits, but it isn't something that I would wear on a regular basis. The Atomic Luau blends in general are very fun and I am enjoying getting them as frimps.

Frimp from the lab.

I would have never ordered this in a million years, as it just didn't sound appealing to me. I'm not really into fruity or tropical scents, unless they have coconut or musk in them. I was pleasantly surprised though!

In bottle: fruity, very much pineapple-y. That's pretty much all I smell. It's light though, nothing too sweet or cloying.

Wet on skin: The fruit is starting to fade away and the rum comes out. Woah, holy rum! That only lasts a few seconds, though. It turns into a warm pineapple, with something weird in it. Could be the raspberry?

Dry on skin: Yum! A very warm, boozy pineapple with a splash of berry. I would only ever wear this in the summer, but it does smell really good! I thought it would smell like lipgloss or bubblegum, but the rum works well on my skin and makes it smell more "perfumey." This would be excellent to mix with lotion for the summer!

I like it and will use my imp. I doubt I will get a big bottle, because I'd really only wear this on a hot summer day or to the beach, and it doesn't seem to last too long. If you like pineapple, definitely pick this up!

In the bottle: pineapple, passion fruit, and a caramel sort of rum, with hints of raspberry. all artificial, all gag-inducingly strong. it smells a bit buttery, sort of like Drink Me from the Mad Tea Party collection.

On my skin: once on, it's almost exclusively pineapple and mandarin orange, with a dribble of raspberry. whatever that vile caramel-like scent (presumably the rum) was doesn't show up on my skin, thank goddess. it's still too artificially fruity for me to like it though. think cheap tropical bubblegum.

Last thoughts: I like fruit scents, but I do NOT like this one (or really, any scent from this collection thus far)! I'm so glad this was a freebie.

In the GC imp: All those yummy fruit in sections and slightly squeezed for the pop of the scent and the drizzle of the juice.

Wet: The mandarin orange is now the most predominant note.

The dry-down: All the fruit sections have meddled into a glorious semi-tropical scent. The rum is so faint as to be almost not present. This is probably my second fave of the GC lounge. I plan to order a bottle. :)

In the Imp: Very candy-ish pineapple.

Wet: This reminds me almost exactly of a Life Savers pineapple candy. Sugary and sweet.

Dry: Doesn't really change much, thought it softens up a bit.

Overall: Yeah. Obviously I don't have much to say about this one. The whole Atomic Luau line has been a tad disappointing to me because I was excited to try them since I love fruit, but all the fruit notes smell very artificial and overly sweet to me.

Beautifully juicy and sugary. Almost too sugary for me, which is saying something. The booze is very well blended in with these fruits, all of which I love. Wonderfully summerish and something I would like to drink.

Fake pineapple candy with a hint of rum. Seems my skin loves gin much more than rum - the opposite of my reaction to drinking the two. Even when BPAL scents don't work on me, I learn something interesting.

In the imp- Smells like syrupy pina colada mix with a faint berry background.

Wet- Still pina colada with the rum making an appearance.

Dry- Starting to mellow out a bit.

5 minutes- The rum and mandarin come out to play with the pineapple and coconut. Light and fruity, but not me.

Rangoon Riptide -- This review is from the resurrected 2010 version.

Imp: Yummy, creamy-smelling pineapple and other fruits. I feel like there's coconut here, or at least the feel of a warm creamy coconut. Smells like a frothy tropical drink. (I know, not a huge surprise considering the category...)

On my skin, I get juicy "red" smelling fruits, the raspberry and maybe passionfruit. The pineapple is still there, though. It's not very boozy on me, at least not while wet. Blue Fire was a winner from the resurrected category and I think so far, this is #2, although I haven't tested them all yet. (I love Upa Upa and Opuhi from the original Lounge as well.)

In the bottle it smells like creamy vanilla mixed with buttered caramel popcorn. On my skin it thankfully doesn’t! On me it smells like a tropical smoothie, the orange being the strongest. It's still warm and buttery though.

As it dries it's more fruity and candy like. Lovely!

Bottle: Raspberry, tart and fruity.

Wet: Quite tart and a bit powdery, a bit like candy rather than juice or fresh fruit. I can pick out the raspberry and what smells like orange? Ah there's mandarin in it, so my nose isn't broken after all.

Dry: A dry-feeling fruity blend, I think this would be great for summer!

In the bottle - Coconut? Hopefully that’s just in my head. I was hoping for more pineapple.

Wet - PINEAPPLE. Come to mama. God, I love this. It’s like being at the Dole plantation or getting a pineapple whip at Disneyland. I can’t smell any other fruits, and I kinda don’t WANT to smell anything else. My skin ate up all the rum, so right now this is straight pineapple.

Drydown - This faded quite a bit when dry. There wasn’t much alcohol to begin with, which is fine by me. The other fruits have started to peek out a bit, lending a fruit punch vibe to this. Virgin fruit punch (on my skin, anyway). Gorgeous. Wish it lasted longer.

Verdict - May have to find more. May have to find more NOW.

Ooooh, I love the rum note in this!! Just a lovely, punchy, exotic cocktail on my wrist.
A little too much of the pineapple and orange for me, and I'm not sure if it's just me but I'm getting coconut vibes (which I'm not a huge fan of), but it's something special. :D

This scent is unfortunately a vanisher on me. Just POOF nothing. I can jam my face in there and get hints, but I just soak this one up. How sad!

It has a pineapply/coconut rum thing going for it. Very beachy and appropriate. Just wish it had some throw.

This may have aged beyond usage for me. Spoiled fruit in the bottle. There's a lovely pineapple on application, which segues into a juicy passionfruit, but once it's dried I just get stale rum. I wish this would come back so I could try it fresh.

This blend goes on as a juicy pineapple in coconut oil - very tropical, juicy, promising.

I get a full-bodied passion fruit in the background that adds another fruity layer to it.

No raspberry and no orange mandarin to my nose.

I don't really smell any rum in this blend either, but maybe the booze mellowed down a bit with age?

After drydown, this stays a very weak pineapple with a remaining fruitiness.

It's neither artificial nor rotten fruit on me, just a bit faint.

The coconut oil must have gotten more prominent with age, and I actually like that.

I can also finally smell the raspberry, but it's not really doing much for my to be honest. It gets rather dominant the more RR dries down. Meh.

Maybe there will be layering options for this blend?

Maybe I am invited to a tiki party and am looking for that perfect scent to wear?

Who knows! I will keep it and use it to make laundry or rooms smells nice, worst case.