Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pineapple, mandarin orange, raspberry, passion fruit, and rum.

WET: This is the most incredibly literal BPAL I've ever tried. Not only is there a blast of alcohol with the pineapple & raspberry, I could swear there is something salty/ozoney in there, because it smells exactly like a tropical drink on the beach. This is the only Tiki Bar scent I got that beachy smell from. It's also by far the most alcoholic!

DRY: Initially it's super sweet and fruity, mostly raspberry and pineapple. Kind of artificial and candyish/bubblegummy, but I like that! The rum becomes less alcoholic and more sugary/buttery.

AFTER AN HOUR: Pineapple and butter, with a hint of raspberry fruit punch in the background.

The first half hour or so was amazing, but I'm not so keen on the buttery drydown. If it was just butter and pineapple it might work, but butter and raspberry punch is kind of weird and unappetizing.

In the imp: VERY sweet pineapple. Aaaand I managed to apply it to my nose, bah!

On me, the rum quickly comes out to play with the pineapple. And I SWEAR it's a coconut rum; there's a hint of that undeniable creamy coconut in this. There's a bit of mandarin orange in the background, but otherwise it's all pineapple and (coconut) rum. This is making me want a rum and coke with a big wedge of pineapple on it. I don't think the pineapple note is for me, but for those who do like it, this is a fun summery scent that makes you want to party.

in bottle: pineapple all the way; not bad

Wet: yummy; fruity cocktail smell

Dry: fades way too fast; only a plastic pineapple lollipop smell left

Verdict: needs more staying power

Ok, I remember sniffing this at will call and not really caring for it-but sniffing my decant now-WOW-this is yum! Fruity and sweet, like a tropical fruit starbust candy.

AHH. Why did I not buy this when I had the chance??

I get a little bit of all the fruity notes, and unlike Upa Upa, the rum isn't overwhelming at all in this one!

Delicious! I will need to find a bottle of this! Tropical fruity awesomeness! :P A perfect summer blend!

Wet: fresh pineapple

Dry: still just pineapple; very sugary

Verdict: I want to like it, but it fades to nothing; I'd have to reapply every other hour...

when first applied it is impossibly fruity sweet mostly pineapple with a bit of tartness but calms down alot during drydown when i close my eyes i think of one of those tropical drinks they serve at the local sushi restaurant with a pineapple and cherry skewered onto mini green umbrella. yummo! me likey! my rating is 4/5 :P

When I smelled this puppy in the bottle, I thought "Uh oh." The rum was very overpowering and there was some sort of really tart, sharp fruity smell that I can only assume was the raspberry coming out to play, but it reminded me of lime. Huh.

On my skin, it stayed like that--limes and booze--for maybe thirty seconds to a minute before dying down to a really soft scent of raspberry and... Rose. Rose, WTF?

I like it though. It's a good scent to wear to work or somewhere that I shouldn't wear a loud, sexy fragrance because it's gentle and pretty and it lasts all day.

But seriously, WTF? Rose!?

In the bottle: Boozy pineapple!

Wet on my skin: A BURST of...umm...STARBURST staggering through a swirl of rum. All of the fruit together smells like a tropical fruit punch. I can't really pick out individual fruit notes when this is on my skin.

Dry down: Sweet tropical fruit punch with spicy rum! It gets right to the point :D

Verdict: Fruit scents never last too long on my skin but that doesn't stop me from absolutly loving them. This will work well in my scent locket. ALL of the boozy smelling Tiki scents are incredible and I think Rangoon Riptide is my favorite so far. We'll have to see how Screetching Parrot is as soon as my swap comes through :D

Another winner! :P

ETA:

Husband review: It's a fusion of Pineapple Now & Laters, Hawaiian Punch, Bubble Yum (Original Flavor) and Rum. I love it. This is very nostalgic-smelling to me. It makes me feel like I ate a whole bunch of candy from the candy shop and tapped into the liquor cabinet for some Captain Morgans.

Edited by Monster

Aww... heavy on the sugary rum, a little on the pineapple, and not much else. I was really hoping for the raspberry to win on me. It's not bad, but it's kind of one-dimensional, and not what I'd hoped for.

On my skin and in the bottle, this is a chidhood memory: inhaling the sent of raspberry Kool-Aid powder upon opening the packet. Powdery, sugary raspberry. I know there are other notes, but that's what I get.

First Sniff: Rum, water, ozone and...celery?

On Skin: Wow, at first I thought I got a wrong blend. I literally could not smell any orange, raspberry, pineapple or passionfruit. However, as soon as slathered it on BAM, hello fruits. Oddly enough I can also smell the sun, sand and surf in this tiki. Not one fruit is dominant. I can smell them all beautifully together. Sometimes a whiff of raspberry overpowers the others, sometimes the pineapple shines more, and so forth. Thankfully, rum is not drowning everything out, but as usual gives it a spicy touch.

Drydown: This does not change. It has wonderful throw, and lasts a long time. The aquatic & airy feel stays throughout, and I am left with sun-ripened fruit with a splash of rum.

Final thoughts: Absolutely beautiful. Besides Golden wave, Rangoon Riptide is my 2nd favorite tiki.

Edited by Schmoozy

Very sugared when wet (very easy for me to notice that as it's started turning into burnt plastic on my skin).

Gets drier afterwards... fruity, but I get no orange or raspberry... just a hint of pineapple.

All in all, it makes me think of those canned exotic fruits with lots of syrup...

Off to the swap-pile.

Pure piña colada...in fact, it smells a bit like that flavor slurpee, which makes me almost miss the crazy sugar rush fizzy thing it does, but I don't really fancy smelling like it when all is said and done.

I've never tried a pineapple scent, honestly it's not really my thing to wear total fruit scents. This one is very fruity, but I'm enjoying this tropical scent in the middle of winter. There is something in here non-foody which is keeping the blend from being too overwhelming. Probably another day, I'd scrub this off, but for now I'm enjoying it. Not getting any rum, just a citrussy pineapple. Craving a tropical drink now!! Seems to be fading pretty fast.

eta: An hour later, and this has the yucky waxy scent of a fruity Bonne Bell lip gloss that I used to wear as a kid. MB Bloody Mary did this too me as well.

Edited by milo

This started out exactly like a pina colada on me. Pineapple dominates, but the other fruits add a roundness to the drink, kind of like a stirred up tequila sunrise maybe. The rum adds a slight buzz to it that's pleasant.

Then I saw the review that mentioned Life-Savers - yes! The tropical ones, just like that. But also alcoholic. (Alcoholic life savers, that's an idea...)

after about 10 minutes the passion fruit makes itself known, rounding it out a bit. The alcohol dies off and it's a nice tropical fruit mix. Ebullient and summery!

This is a scent that when I first got I went 'nooo boozzeee!!'. Booze tends to behave on me but it will stick around long after all the other scents have departed and being under 21 I dont want to be walking around smelling like that (especially when theres a police station reeaalllyyy close to my house and the shopping center near by) :P But I'm a fruit lover so I had to hold on to it. Finally, it has paid off.

I can pick out all the notes on me while that ocean-ey scent hangs around the edges. Its really nice and I think I'll be wearing it preaty often in the upcomming hot months. Mostly I smell the passionfruit and raspberry while the pinapple is content to hide in the background, giving it a light pina colada feel to it. If you liked this one you have to try Upa Upa. 5/5

First sniff: Wow, that’s loud. Screamingly neon-bright sweet-tart fruit and rum.

Wearing: My nose insists on interpreting this as pina colada even though there’s no coconut in it. It’s the kind of fantastic frozen fruity tropical drink I want right by my lounge chair at the beach.

In the bottle: I could *swear* that I am smelling coconut. Like a light coconut rum.

On, wet: I still get coconut, but also pineapple and sweet, tropical fruits. The alcohol smell is strong and sticky sweet.

On, dry: Like a fruity rum drink on the beach. I was hoping to get something a little more berry out of this, but it doesn't really appear.

This is my second favorite in the Atomic Luau Lounge! I can really smell the pineapple and rum, then a salty undertone like the way a green margarita would taste. I wore this all last summer! It smells pretty much the same on the skin as in the bottle which is pretty rare for me. Essence of summer in a bottle... B)

In the bottle passion fruit and raspberry are at the front.

On my skin it's a very fruity scent, sweet and almost candy-like. The pineapple and raspberry are there, and the other fruits come forth from time to time. I don't get much rum from this, I would not call it a boozy scent. Not sure if it's just my skin, or if it's because the bottle has aged for a while, I would guess the first however. It's more like a sweet tropical fruit punch on me. Delicious!

Rangoon Riptide

Fruity! I don't get the rum at all, but mostly raspberry and orange with the pineapple peeking through. I don't smell the passion fruit per se, but I think that might be what's keeping it all in check. This is very nice. I feel like a lot of commercial (ahem, B&BW) fruity scents are so loud. This is not only distictive but it's not overwhelming.

Juicy pineapple with a boozy undercurrent. in the bottle, at first sniff, it almost smells like rotten fruit but it's the rum rearing it's bitter head! Once on, it's a fresh pineapple scent with a boozy side.

Me loooove. It's like a tropical drink with a paper umbrella.

In the decant, I'm definitely getting the pineapple mixed with a bunch of other fruits, and maybe the rum? Not quite sure. On my skin, the pineapple's dominanting, but the fruit and the rum are blending together for a really nice mixed drink effect. The pineapple's smelling like a dealbreaker, though, here's hoping it mellows out. And yeah, the pineapple is really nauseating me for some reason; ah, well, to the swaps with it.

Edited by Venneh