Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pineapple, mandarin orange, raspberry, passion fruit, and rum.

This does come across as very sugary, but as it dries the fruits come out to play. This isn't quite the same as your standard fruity scent, nor it is a standard fruit medley. It has a very bright and tropical feel to it and the passion fruit adds an almost creamy, rich, orange-colored quality to the other fruits.

Wet: Very sweet rum. Not really a harsh or particularly alcoholic scent, but definitely the boozy sugary scent of rum. Not really my sort of thing as a perfume, unfortunately.

First on: Sick. And not in that nice way. Way too much sweetness and booze; it's cloying and overpowering.

Dry: Barely there fake pineapple. Like the kind of fake scent of Strawberry Shortcake dolls, only pineapple. Eh. The first stage was terrible, and this stage is so not worth it. Kinda sad, I think I was looking forward to this scent the most. :P

Whee! I got my order with this in it finally...my imp pack got tossed to the side (for now...there's an imp of Shattered in there that I'm dying to try) in favor of this one. The description screamed "Buy me!" when I read it the first time. So I listened. Thankfully! I LOVE it.

In the bottle: Very rummy pineapple. A drunken pineapple, if you will. And thickly sweet...I guess that's the rum.

On, wet: Loses some of the thick sweetness and goes very tropical fruity. I smell like...something...familiar...oh what IS it...Oh!! Hunch Punch! (tasty stuff, one glass will have you drunk as hell, at least the way I make it...PGA is a beautiful thing :P)

On, dry: It's still got some of that Hunch-Punchiness, but that thick sweetness is starting to come back. Not bad at all. I can't stop sniffing myself.

About an hour later: Mostly that thick sweet smell now, but it's mellowed into something less heavy and more light and creamy sweet, almost vanilla. I just love the way these scents morph once you put them on!

In the imp, it smelled like super sickly sticky sweet raspberries.

Wet, it sort of blends more and the sticky dies way down.

As it dries, it's a perky, fruity scent. I smell the pineapple and orange the most, but the raspberry is still there.

It's not particularly strong, but I've only got it on one wrist for testing purposes. Although it seems to be fading a bit quickly.

2 hours later, and it's more or less gone.. I get a whiff of fruity powder, but that's it.

Edited by crazyredhead17

It's a beautiful warm day, and just right for testing some summery, fruity scents.

In the imp - Very alcoholic! It's strong and sweet, with a dominant note of rum and pineapple.

Wet on the skin - Not sure about this one at all. The fruit seems almost... fermented, and there's a sourness that really isn't very becoming.

Next stages - Happily, the rum note mellows after a few minutes of wear and the scent isn't quite as sticky sweet as it threatened at first.

Dry down - a warm and sweet scent that's somehow almost buttery or milky, which is odd as there are no dairy notes in the ingredients! It'll be gorgeous on someone, but alas not me.

Yummy!! This reminds me of a tropical smoothie you would get made fresh at a health food store. I mainly smell citrus and raspberry, but in kind of all blurs into one delicious fruity explosion. The alcohol note is really toned down in this blend, and the rum gives Riptide a sooth, creamy feel instead of sharp alcohol.

This doesn't have a ton of throw or lasting power, but I like it very much.

This one is definitely fruity! I get a citrus sweet fruit, with just enough sugary buzz. As it dries, the scent is a little boozier than I'd like.

Definitely one of the better Tikis for me.

In the vial: Fruit punch bubblegum!

On: All of the fruits mix beautifully here. I can't really pick any single one out. The rum is always in the background and lend the perfect amount of sweetness to this. It reminds me of drinking Shasta Fruit Punch at Girl Scouts.

Verdict: Delicious!

Heavy, sweet, smells like LUSH's Pineapple Grunt soap to me. There's definitely a sugary sweet rum/pineapple blend, and possibly hints of the other fruits, but they are being bullied by the rum and pineapple.

On me this is a lovely, creamy pineapple. I get depth with the mandarin and a wee bit of rum - it rounds it out and sweetens it. After an hour or two, there is a brief "Yankee candle" transition as it mellows, but it's not too pronounced, and it doesn't last. Finally, I wind up with a vanilla-y scent. Maybe the last of the caramelly rum? Not sure, but I really like it! And the throw is better than most fruity scents on me.

Rangoon Riptide - In the bottle, this smells like it's got caramel in it and I'm a little scared of it. But I decide to try it anyway. When I first apply it, the rum and the fruity scents take a while to figure it if they're going to go this way or that, and from one second to the next, this blend morphs on me in some really weird ways. It's happened every time I've worn it. However, after about five minutes, the scent finally decides what direction it's going to go, and thank god it's in a nice, tropical direction! As soon as the rum fades, the pineapple is the dominant note, but within a few minutes, the lilikoi and raspberry are jumping to the forefront. My grandpa (who lives in Hawaii) makes the world's most amazing pineapple-lilikoi jam, and this perfume smells almost exactly like his jam...if it had a bit of raspberry mixed in. Hmmm... it also reminds me of a sweet, fruity, tropical, foofoo drink (which makes sense since it's from the Tiki Bar!) I don't smell the mandarin at all. I usually love mandarin, but this scent is so perfect without being able to smell it, that I don't mind that it doesn't show up on me. This is by far the most "tropical fruit" aroma in the entire BPAL catalog. It's not very strong on me and doesn't last a long time, but it smells gorgeous when I sniff up close or catch a waft of it in the air and I imagine I'm going to have to try this in my oil burner.

this is my favorite of all the tikis : )

in the bottle it's yummy pineapple and raspberry. on me, the other fruits start to come out, it reminds me of a bag of lifesavers gummies. the passion fruit is especially prevalent. i didn't get any of the rum until it started to dry down a bit, but when i did i was socked because it's the PERFECT rum note. not the scary boozy rum kinda smell, but that delicious spicy sweet smell. the final rum kick keeps it from being too uber-candy sweet, it grows it up a bit.

:sigh: perfect summer scent.

Like edenssixthday, I couldn't really smell the mandarin under the sweet, brown-sugary rum and the pineapple. I still can't, even though most of the rum has gone [insert pirate-movie joke here] and other fruits have come forward. Still, I like this and find it one of the most boozy Tiki Bar scents. I grant you that, like the others, it's not one I plan to wear outside during the day this summer, as I don't fancy being swarmed by bees, but for an evening summer party? Lovely.

I really like this smell. I smell Fruit Punch and something kinda strong ( I'm gussing the booze smell?) Am I the only one who smells fruit punch?

I seem to get all the notes of Rangoon Riptide on my skin, but something about it seems a little off on me. It would probably smell great on someone else, so I'll pass it on.

ETA: I just realized what's off -- it's turning into a boozy, fruity powder on me.

Edited by whiterosepetals

RANGOON RIPTIDE

In Bottle: Sweet powdery and fruity

On Skin: This scent is a blend of sweet and sour. I smell the tart orange, the splash of sticky sweet pineapple and the heavy passion fruit. The raspberry is stunning and I can almost taste it. The run is the perfect base and brings all the fruits together into a playful party. This scent has a dark feel and is heavier than some of the other “bar” scents. I think it feels like more of an evening scent. For tropical drinks, rum is my favorite liquor of choice and I really want to drink this scent. It’s not exactly a scent I would wear a lot, but it would be great to wear to a party or luau to fit the theme. It has a very light throw and super short wearlength on me.

Certain citrus fruit notes go completely rancid on my skin chemistry. Apparently pineapple is one of them. Good to know.

Unfortunately, once a citrus note goes rancid, it's the only thing in a blend I can smell. In the bottle it is sweet, buttery and slightly pineapple. Those who can enjoy the pineapple, I congratulate.

In vial: sweet rum in a jumble of fruity notes.

Wet on skin: sweet, fruity and delicious, with an unexpected creamy touch!

Dry on skin: I wonder what gives that creamy note? This is gorgeous! The fruits are blended smoothly together - in fact, this is a creamy tropical smoothie made with vanilla and cream, or perhaps a tropical fruit cheesecake. Two hours later, it's all but gone.

In the vial: Very sugary rum with lots of sweet fruit.

Wet: Pineapples with a bit of orange and TONS of sweet rum.

Dry: A little bit of raspberries, TONS of sugary rum and lots of pineapple.

Overall: It's fun to get away from your ordinary scents once in awhile. It was like a drunken vacation in a bottle, haha.

In the bottle – :P Sweet, sweet pineapple with just a hint of citrus

Wet on me – Sweet pineapple, molten sugar and a hint of raspberry

Dry on me –The fruits soften and meld into a warm skin scent

Overall – This is a much gentler scent than I anticipated, but still lovely

Ugh. This doesn't work. At all. Cloying, gross, a mess. Not good on me at all. I think it's the passion fruit. Must remove!

ok, I gave this a bit more time and it's a bit better. Kind of like...candy. Still not for me though

In the bottle:

Rating: 5

Notes: raspberry, rum, passion fruit, mandarin orange

Comment: Very fruity with a sharp rum smell.

Wet on skin:

Rating: 5

Notes: pineapple, mandarin orange, passion fruit

Comment: Smells fruity and boozy, yum!

Dry on skin: 45 mins.

Rating: 4

Notes: passion fruit, pineapple

Scent Intensity: 2

Comment: Sharpness of the rum & intensity have faded, leaving behind a subtle fruit smell. Was hoping for more raspberry in it, but I don't notice it that much.

Misc:

Duration: ~1 Hr.

Keyword(s): fruit, booze

Color: Peachy pink

Smells like: Fruit cocktail.

Edited by Akasha Tsang
Removed Lab description --Shollin

In the bottle, I get rum right away - then pineapple.

On my skin, the sharpness of the pineapple and orange dominate, with the lushness of the passion fruit backing it up.

When it's dry, the beautiful, bright, soft blend of the fruits, with raspberry standing out - really nice, really sweet, surprisingly feminine. A great summer scent!

In the vial: this scent smells like a Scorpion Bowl; one of those giant lethal cocktails for two that is served a Chinese restaurants. Boozy, with tropical fruit punch.

Wet on skin: mainly pineapple with a swirl of other fruits in the background. Not as boozy as I expected.

Dry: surprisingly, the raspberry is the dominant note. This is a very sweet fruity scent.

Ooo, nice! Very nice!

I have trouble with some fruity blends smelling kind of acidic on my skin, rather than sweet and juicy, but this one doesn't do that. The pineapple and orange is a great, refreshing combination, and I think the passion fruit is what's making it smell kind of juicy. The rum isn't overbearing at all -- it combines very well with the other notes.

Very summery and fun! I like it a lot more than I thought I would. :P It makes me feel happy.