Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Bamboo reed, palm frond, and hibiscus.

In Bottle: Fresh and Asian

On Skin: The bamboo is strongest in this blend and reminds me of the many Asian themed scents BPAL has done over the years… that very clean and bright feel. The palm frond adds to that and the hibiscus offers some sweet floral to bring it down to earth a notch. Still, it’s very vibrant and I’m thinking too sharp on me. It makes me tear up a bit. If you like bright sharp scents, go for it. I think a light spray of it would make for a nice room scent, but it’s not something I personally would go for in a perfume. The trhow is crazy strong and it lasts a very long time on me.

In the imp: sour bamboo? This smells like a really odd bamboo…
Wet on skin: now it smells nicer. Strong bamboo, like the Asian moons, with deep green palm.
Dry on skin: not bad. I can smell all the notes-the wet, pulpy, fresh green scent of bamboo, the drier but deeper green of the palm fronds (this isn’t a sweet dry palm husk scent like Havana) and the crisp tea-like hibiscus. The palm and hibiscus remind me very slightly of Meshkenet, but without the reeds and resins. But the bamboo, the strongest note, reminds me of the Asian scents, especially Holiday Moon. This smells more like Summer Holiday Moon!
After a while: now the palm note becomes much drier, and the bamboo note turns a little bit soapy? I’m not so crazy about the bamboo now. It reminds me of the sharp-soapy note I got in Holiday Moon. I think I only really like bamboo in scents like Habu and Peacocks, where there are lots of other notes mixing with it.
Verdict: not too sure about this. Bamboo can either smell gorgeous (like Habu) or soapy, sadly it turns soapy in here. It smells like Holiday Moon on holiday at first, bamboo and greenery, not tea but palm, a bit of hibiscus. It’s pleasant and the palm note is really good. But then the bamboo turns soapy, takes over, and then turns sharp and sour, before the whole scent disappears very fast. Not really my thing, I’m afraid.
Emoticon rating: :(
Is it a keeper?
Not really.
If you like this, try: Holiday Moon, Sleepy Moon, Habu, Meshkenet, Caliban

This one was light, refreshing, tea-like and green scent. Unfortunately, something here veers straight into soap-land once it dries.

It's got the asian vibe to it --- but it's not quite so in your face. Very light. I wish it didn't dry into soap though.

In the bottle: Hmm, what *is* that smell? Holy crap, it's Juicyfruit gum! :P

Wet: still juicyfruit - oh noes!

Drydown: Whew, no more Juicyfruit. Now it's just green, grassy, leafy.

A little later: I can smell a hint of floral, which I guess is hibiscus.

Still later: Mostly leafy and grassy.

After the drydown, it's nice and green, just like I like. Great summer scent.

Initial impression:

In the vial, it's floral and oddly fresh – very serene and refreshing. Summery. A peaceful type of summer scent.

First on:

Wet, it's oddly citrusy! Citrus and floral.

Dry:

After about 10 mins, it smells like nothing but lemon soap on me. :P Ugh. Not good. It doesn't clear up, unfortunately.

Finally:

Not a friend of my skin chemistry at all! Swapping/selling.

at first sniff, this smells like freshly-squeezed orange juice. it’s very sweet and citrusy. as it dries, the scent becomes more complex and there are some green, herbal notes – the bamboo and palm fronds, i’m guessing. i’m not sure if i’ve come across those notes before. the hibiscus seems to be hiding.

minutes later, it still smells like orange juice to me!

OK, I confess: I was almost afraid to try it after sniffing it, because there was this odd, sharp, almost-rancid note, not unlike...sweaty overripe fruit. If fruit could sweat, that is. A slightly-unpleasant organic note. I got scared.

Do not panic. Do not be afraid of the Boo Bam. I tried it anyway, and immediately that disappeared. Hallelujah! It is really, really lovely. Very green and crisp, and the notes are nice, and also fairly subtle. The one this reminds me of the most is Caliban, which I adore, so apparently palm is the primary note on me.

This has good throw but is subtle, and it wears really well. I could still smell it a little when I got up the next day.

First Sniff: Juicy, sweet bamboo reed.

On skin: BooBam is a fresh, sweet and extremely juicy bamboo with a hint of hibiscus. There is a wonderful green quality that screams spring, and for some reason the sweetness feels very fruity.

Drydown: The hibiscus is the major note now, and the bamboo has faded into the background. The wet, plump feel of bamboo is still evident as is the greenness.

Final thoughts: Beautiful. Great throw, and I love the similarity to Holiday Moon.

In the imp: Sharp green bamboo

Wet: Sharp and a little sour

Dry: The bamboo recedes a bit and hibiscus comes forward, proceeding to turn a bit powdery. Super strong.

In the bottle: Wet and pulpy. Maybe that's the bamboo? There's definitely a hint of the tropics there, but it's subtle. I'm thinking it's the palm frond since it's not a sweet smell like hibiscus; it's kinda green.

Wet: Wow, did this morph quickly! The second it hits my skin, the wet pulpy smell that dominated the bottle is practically gone and now the palm frond and hibiscus come forth.

Drydown: The palm frond's pretty much gone by this point and Boo Bam has finally settled down into a very sweet, very island hibiscus. You wouldn't know there was ever bamboo pulp or palm frond in there. It almost verges on being too sweet, but there's something pulling it back although what, I have no idea.

Overall: I like this one. In the bottle, it smelled interesting, but I thought it would wind up being too masculine for me. Once on, however, everything changed. I should have known better! I'm very curious to see how this will do on my hubby - whether it will retain it's wet pulpiness or if he'll be smelling like a floral garden out on the cliffs of Maui.

First sniff: Very fresh and green and wet. It reminds me quite a bit of Holiday Moon.

Wearing: It’s nice to smell like spring when there’s yet more unexpected snow on the ground. There’s a lovely light citrusy-floral bit floating above the jungle of wet greenness.

Sweet, golden and very fresh! Smells like a fresh cut tropical flower. Not my usual style, but very nice :) Didn't last long, but decent throw while it's around. Yummy!

Lots of round, golden-green, pulpy bamboo (I amp it, but I love it, so that is never a problem) right off the bat. Something refreshingly, greenly citrus and something rather grassy join the bamboo after a very short while. Dry down is more bamboo and grass (palm?) with a brush of citrus, which I guess must be how my skin renders hibiscus. Very tropical and perfect for the 88-degree, somewhat humid weather we have been having this week by the San Francisco Bay. Lasted longer than I expected; four hours or so during the hottest part of the day. :wub2:

I bought this soley on the comparison to Lush's Avobath. I can smell the comparison, but they're not as alike as I had hoped. Boo Bam is fresh and green with just a bit of hibiscus. Very refreshing in the heat!

In the bottle: Holiday Moon....is that you?

Wet: Yup! This smells JUST like Holiday Moon (which I love love love)! This is fresh, slightly citrus smelling with lots of bamboo.

Dry: This is a bit more citrus smelling than Holiday Moon but it's almost an exact replica to my nose...maybe a bit more heady...but pretty much the same :)

Overall: LOVE!

It's fresh and bright tropical floral with a bit of sweetness.

In Bottle: Oddly soured citrus.

Wet: Not so sour, not so citrus. Elusive. Herbal or floral, I'd guess.

Dry: Soapy, in that it smells like an herbal/floral blend one would use for soap. Clean-smelling but with an edge. Soon, though, a sour smell like the change some rose scents go through for me.

Overall: Does what florals often do on me, so, not for me.

My skin gets the sharp green from this, so much so that I kept thinking I smelled pepper. I dont get the fruityness, but a very clean sweet green, and maybe a touch of the floral. Once the sharpness dies down, I really like this one =) Now if only it were easier to run a search on!

It's sweet, green, clean and makes me smile immediately upon application. And then it gives me an allergy attack. Damn you, hibiscus. Damn you. :cry2:

Bottle: Bamboo and hibiscus.

Wet: Bamboo and hibiscus.

Drydown: Dried, husky bamboo and rotting flowers.

Dry: Faint but the same.

Would I ever wear this? Sadly, no.

My rating: 3/5

My nose only catches the watery, clean bamboo here, although I know that I must be smelling the tart hibiscus underneath. This is one of those scents that is very simple and very pretty, one of my favorites on a super hot day.

Very green and bamboo/reedy, and just a smidge watery. And, as many other reviewers have noted, smells a lot like Holiday Moon. Which is interesting, because I had a bottle of that way back in the day but swapped it. I haven't smelled Holiday Moon in several years, but as soon as I saw that someone mentioned it, I thought, "Yep, that's exactly what this is." Scent memory lasts a long time.

Green, Fresh, & Herbal

Without being prompted by the description I would never think bamboo, palm frond or hibiscus individually.

The silage is SWEET! Very different than what my nose perceives when it's near my wrists.

I am hoarding BooBam, folks.