Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Tangerine, gin, passion fruit, guava, and tonic.

For those of you that shy away from the more "boozy" scents, this might be a lovely option. Sweet fruits are most of what i smell, with just a very light wash if gingery flavor. Despite guava generally being sweet on me the fruits here stay very well behaved - I can pick out the tangerine and passion fruit too. Just lovely juicy summer fruit on a faint background of ginger.

bottle: passion fruit, guava and tangerine.

wet: this is all fruits, no hint of the gin or tonic. very guava-y and tangerine-y with a fleeting back of passion fruit. beautiful.

dry: this dries to fruits with... greenery? it doesn't smell like gin to me but there is a very green feel to this scent. like all the fruits still have their stems and leaves attached. still, it's incredible. i can't stop sniffing myself.

In the bottle: very guava and green,with no gin note detected

On, it is light and fruity, Fruity Delight!

As with the other bottles I have tried, I am not impressed with them in the bottle. But once they are applied, they blossom! In the bottle, they are just ingredients, but combine it with my skin chemistry and it turns into a juicy, tropical dessert. The guava and passion fruit mix with a little of the citrus of the tangerine and even a touch of a musky note. I can also detect a sharp note too like the rind of one of the fruits, tangerine or the guava, perhaps? Or, could that be a little bitter hint of the gin? Either way, it adds a little mystery to the mix. Perfect and light for summer. Glad I purchased a bottle! :P

It looks like I'm the first to pick out the gin in this. It's right there at the top of the blend and quite prominent! There's a smooth dry juniper pine sort of fragrance that's a touch boozy, but not so much that you'll have to worry about where you go when you wear this. The gin sort of mellows down and out and entangles itself in the tangerine, guava, and passion fruit. It's remarkable that I can detect the three fruits individually. Something about the gin and tonic seems to ground things and keep this from becoming too girly, too fruity, or too high pitched. I still classify this as fruity and tropical, not boozy, but the latter sure adds a nice dimension here.

I can smell the gin in here it makes the fruit a little less sweet. But it's such a wonderful fruity scent I think I'll have to get 2 bottles.

*finishes off her Tiki Bar experience with a tropical G&T*

Ok, we have a winner! Golden Wave looks down on the other drink scents and finds them silly and Spring Breaky in comparison with its smooth, classy blend of light fruit and subtle booze. This is the scent to wear to a martini bar in summer--elegant and well-blended; the slight juicy touch of passion fruit and guava are like really succulent garnishes.

In the bottle: Candied fruit

Wet: Tropical fruit - yum!

Drydown: A hint of alcohol comes out to join the fruit. After a while, maybe half an hour, it begins to smell like a tropical fruit bowl, and the alcohol scent is mostly gone. I stick my wrist under my son's nose, demanding he sniff it. He pronounces it "Weird." Hmm, not exactly what I was going for.

This is the one that seemed most promising on first sniff, so I may cellar it for a few months to see what it does. I might try layering it with another blend too, just not sure what.

the guava in this is scrumptious. mixed with the tangerine it geats almost a satsuma smell. the first hour there is an underlying scent that reminds me of fabric softener. That mellows out and I get a scent memory triggered from when I was 8 my mom bought me these little peach scented balls that made my tennis shoes smell nice I LOVEDDDDDD them and have not since been able to find a peach scent that doesnt smell like b.o. to me....well this doesnt its my peach holy grail scent lol!!!

edit: I can just now detect the gin 90 minutes in and its really not very boozy more an airy clean smell like mint can do to a blend.

Edited by cassandrakfreaq

Unlike the previous posters, I can smell the gin in this one from miles away. (Not that that's necessarily a bad thing!)

For me this ends up being mostly tangerine and gin when it's wet on my skin and in the initial stages of drydown. I love passion fruit and guava and really wanted those notes to come out more in the blend.

On drydown, it becomes substantially less sweet on me, and subsides into a stale boozy aroma with a hint of tangerine. I really wanted to love this and it's a pity that I can't quite get there.

In bottle/imp: Fizzy tangerine and light gin.

Immediately on skin: The tangerine in this is definitely the main note. It’s a fizzy scent though, and drier. The gin is light, but it’s also there. There’s the syrupy guava and a little passion fruit creeping into the background as I type.

After a little while: This is still mostly fizzy, dry tangerine with a hint of gin, but it’s not overly boozy at all and there’s just a hint of the syrupy tropical sweetness of passion fruit or guava in the background.

Overall Impressions: This is a strongly citrus scent. The tangerine smells fresh and mixes nicely with the dryness of the tonic and a touch of gin. I was hoping for more guava and passion fruit as there’s only a hint of them in the blend, but it may be just my chemistry. This is a drier smelling scent though, and fizzy and fun. It has a little sweetness, but it isn’t syrupy at all.

This smells like the tangerine version of Orangina. It's a sweet, bold, sparkling citrus...there might be a hint of gin in there, but if so that's all that's there.

It's very pretty, and while part of me is thinking "Tangerine juice! I smell like Tangerine juice...", I LIKE smelling like it. Mmmmm.

Golden Wave-

In Bottle: Fruity orange-guava with a hint of booze. I can really smell the guava.

Wet: The booze is a little more prominent--so is the passion fruit, and there's something flowery in it as well. If that floral note dominates I will not love this so well as I would like to.

Dry: The flowery note lingers but does not dominate. This is a yummy scent, with these different fruits; I don't think I will crave it but I'm glad I have it to sniff.

Overall: Yummy, even with that bit of floral.

Edited by steffanina

straight sniff from the imp is tonic and fruity heaven...

once applied the passion fruit and guava are front and center and

sooooooo good...

any of you remember calyx by prescriptives??

this is a much more well rounded version :P

her more mature, demure sister, if you will... :D

In the bottle: Fresh-herbal gin, tangerine, and guava. Fruity but not very sweet.

Wet: Similar, but tangerine and guava amped, and some sparkling tonic has emerged. The gin note is lighter, thankfully. I'd swear there is some pikaki in here too, providing a warm floral note.

Dry: The notes are mingling wonderfully. I adore the gin note in this (even though juniper is usually bad, here it is very light, herbal and fresh). The tangerine and guava are still going strong and are delightfully tart and exotic. Some faint passion fruit has emerged too.

Summary: Gin, earthy patchouli and sexy musk, tart tropical fruit, soft pikake. The fruit notes sadly fade very quickly, but I love the patchouli and musk notes that emerges. Fruity, herbal and refreshing.

Bottleworthy!

In the bottle, this is a very fruity gin -- someone took the bottle of gin and started jamming tropical fruits in through the neck until it was overflowing.

On my skin, this turns into my second-favorite Tiki scent -- The tangerine is the strongest of the fruits, but it doesn't totally overwhelm everything else. It has good staying power, and I can't help myself -- I just want to sniff it over and over again! (Wow, that sounds slightly wrong ...)

This is definitely a fruit-lover's scent, without being so heavy that it overpowers everyone and everything.

I wonder what it says about me that I love all my fruits smelling boozy?

Golden Wave is all juicy and I really want a sip right out of the bottle. The tangerine smells very strong in my decant, but when I put it on it melds with the passion fruit and guava deliciously. There is a decidedly liquor note I have to attribute to the gin and tonic. I want to slather myself with this and wear a sundress and big fresh flowers in my hair.

Guava? And a smell that I don't recognize but it tends to show up a couple of times in testing other oils so I think that is the passion fruit.

Tonic? Nope, that's gin. Gin and I are friends. Well, not so much friends as I can't get rid of her.

Dry down: Just gin. I think I'll retry most these throughout the week because I'm really not getting the fruitiness that everyone else is.

I got no gin from Golden Wave, just tart guava and passion fruit. (I'm not complaining, mind!) This is a great tropical fruit cocktail, but it's got zero throw on me and didn't last. A shame, because it's really pretty and I can't think of any other BPALs like it off the top of my head.

How can something not carbonated be so effervescent? Golden Wave tickles my nose! Juicy, candied, sweet, succulent, refreshing. All of these words come to mind. It's like a blend of fresh lilikoi juice and homemade ginger ale. The tangerine undertones smell like the spray of oils as you peel the skin from the flesh. So fresh, so intoxicating. :P

I smell the gin first, it's very airy juniper. The fruits are very prominent and yet the overall result is pretty reserved. It's a bright blend, with passionfruit in the foreground. Tropical, refreshing, light and playful. It does remind me of Earth Rat and Fire Pig in that it is also a fruity blend with a very light, citrusy tone.

Firstly, there are drinks with paper umbrellas on the label. For that reason alone, I will never give up the bottle, my only pick from the Luau Lounge.

I wouldn't give it up anyway, though. The scent is so fun and bright! It's completely fruity, but nicely tempered by the gin so that it's not too sweet. The color is a very sparkly orange.

This is quite lovely!! To me, this smells very much like Swank, but instead of the pomegranate note, there is a lovely tangerine note. This is very sweet and fruity without being overly boozy. It has a certain crispness to it, the same way Swank does. The sweetness of the passion fruit balances out the tartness of the alcohol note and the tangerine.

I like this very much, I wish it had a bit more throw, but quite lovely enough to re - apply.

In the Imp

Whoo! It's boozy, making me thing of a flavoured liquor, along the lines of Galliano or Midori or something. But very much golden.

On Me

The booze note goes away and I'm left with a delightfully fruity, but not overly sweet smell which matches the description. It's lovely, and I just keep wanting to sniff my arms.

It lacks the crystalline fizziness of Te Po and Blue Fire, but is still very much a tropical Tiki blend. It's gorgeous.