Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Tangerine, gin, passion fruit, guava, and tonic.

In the vial: Exactly as the description says. The gin mellows down the fruits.
On: The gin dissappears entirely, leaving the fruit much sweeter. This is so juicy and definitely golden! Sadly, it faded too quickly...meaning I'll just have to slather it on!
Verdict: Just the smell alone is making me thirsty. I think the next time I'm at a bar, I'll def. be ordering this!

Golden Wave makes me briefly very happy, then extensively very sad. You see, guava is probably my favorite smell ever, and at first, Golden Wave smells like nothing but guava on me. Guava, guava, guava. A little bit of the tangerine sneaks in and then I struggle to not eat my arm. Oh, it smells so, so good at the beginning.

And then maybe ten minutes later, the dirt smell creeps in. As I mentioned in my Blue Fire review, I think the dirt smell might be the gin. (There's certainly nothing else in this or Blue Fire that I recognize as the gin.) Unlike that scent, Golden Wave keeps up its main elements... still get that delicious guava for much longer than I normally do. But the dirt smell just intensifies as time goes on, until everything abruptly disappears a few hours later.

Very sad. I love most of the elements of this and thought that maybe I'd finally found the guava scent for me. But alas, I can't handle the dirt. It's not a yummy dirt.

wet: the passion fruit and guava, teeniest bit of citrus from the tangerine

skin: my skin brings out the gin/tonic, not smack-you-in-the-face booze, but a nice undercurrent. it keeps this blend from being too fruity, which i really like.

drydown: i too get a bit of greenery mixed in with this. it's nice, it reminds me of being outside on a beach somewhere with a tropical drink. overall, this is a great blend.

score: 9 out of 10

Unfortunately, this was a tropical sweet soap. It didn't have the boozy fizziness of Blue Fire or some of the other blends... and it just blended into a nice, tropical sweet.... soap.

SAAAAD. :P

I'll be damned if this doesn't smell exactly as described: a fruity G&T. I can pick out all of the individual notes, although like some reviewers, I experienced a softening of the booze note over time -- but the tonic is very detectably (and delectably!) there, cutting the sweetness of the fruits just enough. Low throw (interestingly similar to Opuhi in this regard), but it's a very cheery scent.

Verdict: Would Wave again. I'm not going to scramble to find an aftermarket bottle, but this is lovely.

In the vial - A strong, tangy and yet somehow dry scent, with plenty of passion fruit. It lacks the sweetness of some of the other Tiki blends and so strikes me as ideal for people who dislike "foody" scents.

Wet on the skin - This strikes me as an evening rather than a daytime scent - although it's predominantly fruity. it's more classic and less youthful than some of the other tiki series. There's something almost dusky about it. I smell little tangerine; the guava is easily the most noticeable scent on first application.

Next stages - The scent fades a little more quickly than some of the other Tiki series. Later stages see a little sourness creep in from the gin and tonic.

Dry down - Not my favourite of the Tiki blends due to the slight bitterness of later stages, but it'll make a lovely room scent for hot days.

I thought that I would love Golden Wave, but it doesn't really live up to my high expectations. I've been loving orange citrus scents lately, I like guava in bpal blends, and I love a lot of the gin scents (Blue Fire and Twenty-One are both favorites for me), so Golden Wave sounded like a heavenly combo. The reality of it isn't so great on me though.

I wanted Golden Wave to be a juicy, fizzy citrus scent, but it's surprisingly dry and tart smelling on me. Something in this actually smells similar to what bpal's pomegranate note does on me (dry, bitter, sweet tarts sort of smell). I'm wondering if the passion fruit is the culprit.

Anyhow. First on, the gin is crisp and lovely, smelling slightly like juniper and fizzy ginger ale, but it is short lived. The gin quickly fizzles out, leaving me with a touch of sweet guava, a hint of dry tangerine, and an overall impression of sweet tarts with an edge of bitterness. It's disappointingly dry, tart, and a bit sour on my skin...

Golden Wave is very subtle and light on me. I'd like to smell this on someone else, because it seems to go all wrong the second it touches my skin. It's not an awful scent or something I feel the need to run and wash off, but it goes all dry and artificial on my skin, and I like my fruity blends to have a juicier quality to them. I wish I'd gotten an extra bottle of Blue Fire or Te Po instead of this'n.

In vial: FRUITY! Tangerine, guava, passion fruit, and a hint of gin.

Wet on skin: the same.

Dry on skin: very fruity, mostly tangerine. This is a lightweight scent. As the initial brightness of the tangerine fades a slightly spicy undertone emerges. After an hour or so there's not much left except a herby something that reminds me of sage, but which is probably gin.

I love it! And I don't often love the fruit-and-booze scents, so this is particularly impressive. It smells like gin-soaked fruit - a little bit sweet, but light and lively. I honestly thought I smelled pineapple in this, though it turns out it isn't there. It's just a really happy, almost effervescent, vacation-y scent. Very tropical, very fruity, lightly boozy - just right!

GOLDEN WAVE

In Bottle: Bright orange happiness

On Skin: The tone of this scent is very much bright orange/yellow. The citrus screams out and makes me wince a little because it is super sour. The fruits here a little under-ripe… this isn’t a sweet drink at all. The gin is minty and fresh and the tonic gives it a nice effervescence. This is a perfect pick me up scent and completely energizes me. Here it is 4:45pm at work, I’m tired and want to go home. I smell this and all of a sudden I am AWAKE! Very warm, very bright, very summer day. This is a perfect scent for a party in the backyard and to get you in the spirit of summer. Strong throw and average wearlength.

Never liked gin and tonics. If this was everything except the gin, I think it would be great. Oh, and maybe one less fruit as well.

I definitely smell the tangerine first and foremost in this one. It was like a fresh citrus BLAST to my nose when I first put it on. Phew! After it settled down a bit, I could smell the 'gin and tonic' part of the scent- especially the tart fizzy-ness of the tonic. The sweeter fruits rest more in the background of this one, which is fine b/c I like the tangerine/citrus girly drink feel it has to it at the moment. I don't normally go for the boozy scents but this one is just right for those really hot summer days. I'm definitely going to use this one a lot once I move back to Southern California!!

Edited by euterpe414

In the bottle – There is a real hit of tangerine and then soap

Wet on me – A kind of plasticky tangerine

Dry on me –There are long phases of stale ashes before settling into a light bubbly citrus blend

Overall – This combined with Blue fire suggests that I can add gin to the notes I can’t wear

Golden Wave

In the decant: tangerine and passion fruit. Reminds me of a soap/shower gel, maybe from the Body Shop?

Wet on skin: tangerine, passion fruit and a bit of sweet guava.

Dry on skin: mmm, not bad! The citrus-guava combination reminds me very slightly of Cheshire Moon and Xanthe, only in here, the guava isn’t as sweet. The tangerine is strongest, a lovely zingy pulpy citrus, with a touch of sharp passion fruit. I only smell the slightest hint of G&T.

After a while: the tangerine sticks around for a surprisingly long time. Now it smells just like tangerine peel and guava, with hints of passion fruit. It’s faint, but really lovely, bright and fruity. It now reminds me of Xanthe, not as sweet, but the guava and citrus scent is very similar.

It seems to be fading very fast, but it smells so nice! Like a delicious tropical fruit juice. Usually I say ‘I want to eat my wrist’, but this time, I want to drink it up.

Verdict: this is one of the Tiki scents I prefer. It’s not the longest lasting, or the strongest, but it smells so juicy and fresh and fruity, not too boozy, it smells like some kind of delicious tropical juice. Guava is fast becoming one of my favourite fruit notes, I love it in Cheshire Moon and Xanthe, and it’s lovely in here, with the passion fruit and the sharp tangerine. The gin is so faint but gives the faint impression of a shot of booze. This smells perfectly summery. My only complaint is that it doesn’t last very long on me at all…not as lovely as Cheshire Moon, but I really like it.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? I managed to get a partial bottle, which is fine for me...

If you like this, try: Xanthe, Cheshire Moon, Tweedledee, Tweedledum, Rangoon Riptide

WOO! I'm so :P on this. *hick* I'm gin and tonic all over, with a twisht of e'rything.

But oshifser, I only had a li'l dab here an a li'l dab there. *staggers*

Oh...don take my boddleaway....I'll be good...I promish...

Were can I get shome mo', 'cause I'm 'n lurv. :D

IMP: sweet, citrusy & green/herbal

WET: mega tangerine with a hint of guava and juniper

DRY: the juniper really takes over and turns it into a very herbally citrus soap. In fact, it smells remarkably like the old Herbal Essence shampoo. I'd be happy with a soap or shower gel that smelled like this, but I don't think I care for it as a perfume.

In the imp: Light Citrus

The gin and guava come out to play once I apply this to my skin. There's definitely some tangerine in there too, but unfortunately, tangerine is not a good note for me - on my skin, it turns into something not unlike B.O. It's a fantastic summer scent though, and perfect for a tiki party. Even though it's inspired by a fruity cocktail, it's not super-sweet. If only the tangerine would behave...

Amazing!!! it reminds me of pineapple, but I suppose that's really the other tropical fruits. It smells delicious but not 100% foody/fruity... like a tropical drink scented perfume. :P Golden is definitely the word I would use for it.

Now it's drying down and it smells like dried, unsweetend guava and papaya... so delicious! heavenly.

dry-er: reminds me of that nice orange soap from the Body Shop that my bf's mother uses... not a bad smell at all. I love how BPAL scents morph!

This is a bright, citrusy scent that smells fun and a little fizzy. The gin part of it isn't too strong for me at all, and the fruits smell juicy and sweet. I know it's called "Golden Wave," but it smells more like an orange-colored scent to me.

Great summertime scent! Very playful and cheery. :P

I really enjoy fresh and fruity scents during warm weather. Golden Wave has been one of my "go to" scents this summer. It's a really happy, citrusy scent. It's mostly tangerine and passion fruit, with juniper/gin in the background. Luckily, the juniper stays in the background keeping me from smelling like booze! I wish I had had the foresight to get at least one more bottle of this!

This is a wonderful strong tropical fruit drink. I can totally pick out the Guava in this as well as the tangerine. Its fun, and fruity, and makes me think back to our Hawaii vacation last month.

Unfortunately there is something in here that is causing me to sneeze like crazy, this later turned into a mini allergy attack. Going to try this again to make sure its not somethign in the air, but it will break my heart if I can't wear this :/

Let me start by saying that I detest gin and therefore steered clear of this scent when the Tikis were available. Big mistake. I took a chance and tried a decant that I received as a gift from a lovely forumite. I was delighted when I opened the vial because there was no gin, just passion fruit lovliness, a green fruity note, and a touch of citrus.

Wet on skin: still tropical lovliness. Perhaps the "green" note that I smell is the juniper berry playing nicely with the guava and passionfruit?

Dry: moderate throw and long lasting. A great summer scent!

Golden Wave is by far my favorite of the Tiki Bar scents.

In the imp, it's got a strong tangerine kick that turns into decidedly fizzy tropical tangerine cocktail on my skin. It's almost like orange soda, but the gin and tonic notes keep it from being cloyingly sweet and one-dimensional. It's a great fun summer scent, light and bright and happy with surprising staying power. I practically want to eat myself when I wear this, it makes me so giddy with deliciousness. Golden Wave lifts even the worst mood at least a little. If I'd known how good it would be, I would've bought many, many more bottles.

First Sniff: Tropical Fruit Salad

On Skin: Lush passionfruit & guava. The tangerine is there, but it is very subtle and stays in the background unlike the other two. After a minute I smell gin & tonic but it onlys lasts for a few fleeting seconds, before it disappears.

Dyydown: The appearance of G&T, changes the tropical salad. It actually appears to dull the brightness and lushness of the fruits and unfortunately causes the scent to almost disappear completely from my skin.

Final Thoughts: A tropical fruit salad with just a hint of booze. Even though it doesn't last very long, I would have to say it is one of my favorites from the tiki bar.

Mmm, greener than I thought. Lots of guava and some other tropical fruit.

The drydown makes it a little more herbal and quite interesting.