Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Papaya, blueberry, lemongrass, and gin.

I was a little nervous about trying Blue Fire since me and fruit scents tend not to get along, but in the end I'm glad I gave it a chance. As soon as I put it on, it's a big blast of blueberries with a hint of something herbal.

As it settles into my skin, it turns into an extremely refreshing, "cool" sort of scent with the blueberry and the gin really popping out and the lemongrass sitting in the corner somewhere. The gin fights for dominance and definitely gets close, but never quite succeeds. Even if it did, I'd be okay with that - I tend to be a fan of boozy scents. Gin is especially pleasant to me.

Unfortunately, Blue Fire doesn't stick around long. I take a good splash of it and before I know it it's already gone.

I totally wouldn't mind practically bathing in the oil all day long, though.

I just tested Red Tide, which according to reviews is the "Red" version of Blue Fire. I'll be honest, as I said in my Red Tide Review, i'm not a huge gin fan. It's the one booze I just can't drink. Blueberry is very hit or miss on me...usually more on the miss side. But this blend sounds super fun and I can't wait to try it!

Oh wow, yeah, in the imp this is WAY gin-y. Mostly gin and papaya actually-not quite as much blueberry. And definitely a blast of lemongrass.

This actually smells better on my skin than it did in the imp-bright candy blueberry and sweet citrus...I actually don't notice the gin very much on my skin at all-it just gives the whole blend sort of a fizzy feeling. These luau blends kill me because they all make we want to try to make these as drinks :lol: This smells like it would taste SO good as mixed drink. Yep, this is mostly a blue candy fruity type scent-not actually that boozy. Like the kind of drink that tastes so good you have like 4 of them and try to stand up and the room starts spinning :lol:

As it fully dries I pretty much lose the booze/fizziness altogether. It sort of just becomes a fruity candy scent-mostly blueberry, with a touch tart lemon and a hint of papaya.

This blend didn't have to the longest stay for the record. It was definitely a fun blend. Sweet and fruity and tropical, it will definitely make you want to sit on the beach in Hawaii with a girly drink with an umbrella in it. I wouldn't wear this as perfume, but I greatly enjoyed testing it! Even if it made me want a vacation real bad!

Note: I adore the Lab's blueberry note, but am not usually a fan of lemongrass as a perfume scent.

In the GC imp: The fruits have gin drizzled all over them, with some lemongrass sneaking up on the glass.

Wet: Lots of throw! Close up, there's gin. With my arm further away, mostly papaya and some blueberry.

The dry-down: I'm getting some of that lovely blueberry note from Blue Phoenix, and the papaya has calmed down. The lemongrass doesn't ruin the scent, thank goodness, but adds a bit of freshness. What most obvious is the gin, but is mellowed by the fruity sweetness. I could see myself sitting at a pool-side bar at night, sipping on a Blue Fire cocktail and enjoying mellow conversation in the moonlight.

Edited by thekittenkat

In the Vial: Mmm, spiked blueberry lemonade! It's bright and fun and juicy!

Wet: Goes very tart at first, but then the papaya comes out to sweeten it up and make it much more tropical. This is exactly the kind of thing I like to drink!

Dry: Okay, it's tart again, but... softer. It's edging towards powdery, but not quite getting there. The lemon and gin have ganged up against the blueberry and papaya, who are still there, but very faintly.

An Hour Later: Huh. For the longest time it was a delicious boozy lemonade, but now... it's starting to do the rancid butter thing my skin loves to do with increasingly random blends. Damn.

Overall: I will be passing on this imp due to my hateful skin chemistry. But, before it started to go bad, I really liked it. Definitely not an everyday scent - this one would have to be reserved for the bar, or for tropical vacations for those lucky enough to get them!

This is a boozy berry on first application, but in time it becomes a citrus-berry cocktail. It's sweet and tart at once. The papaya isn't strong, but I think it smooths out the other notes so that it isn't too spiky-sweet. On me, the lemongrass ends up being a lemony dominant note, with an underlying sweet boozy note.

Edited by Voleuse

In the Imp: Candied lemons and gin.

Wet: I'm kind of reminded of blueberry Pez candies, which at least aren't cloying as the notes in some of the other Luau Lounge scents have been. I like the freshness the lemongrass brings out, and the papaya lends a smooth sweetness that isn't overwhelming. Not getting much of the booze.

Dry: I feel like this is what all of the Luau scents should be. Been vastly disappointed by others, but this is truly reminiscient of a blueberry/papaya drink, without being either astringent or sickeningly sweet.

Overall: A great scent for chilling on an island with a fruity drink... or pretending you're doing so. Possibly the best from the set in my opinion.

Well I was lucky enough to receive this from my Bpal pal, who does not dig the gin note.

WTFaery? Orange? I must be broken.

However I do love this, I have it in my purse and it is just as reviving as a charming cocktail.

This is from the resurrected 2010 version.

In the imp: Definitely getting the gin note here, and sweet fruit. I smell the blueberry and papaya. This smells super yummy!

On my skin, I can smell the lemongrass... at this stage, the blend reminds me of some kind of herbal tea. I would love to drink this as tea, actually. Not really getting the gin/juniper on my skin at the moment.

This is super refreshing and I think it will be great in summer. Yum. I'm regretting not getting a bottle of this while it was available as GC. :(

I really wanted to love this -- gin is a note I like a lot, and the idea of a fruity scent appeals to me, especially for summer -- but the blueberry and papaya amped way up and drowned out the gin and lemongrass. It just got too sweet and heavy for me.

In bottle: Papaya dominant, with Blueberry support. Super sweet, with gin giving an alcohol edge and the lemongrass an accent. Honestly, this reads mostly as Koolaid to me. Wet: Still papaya and blueberry dominant, but richer and more like real fruit on the skin. Gin is still a background edge. The lemon grass is a touch more prominent and really blends well with the other notes. This is not my taste, but surprisingly good. Dry: As the papaya fades, this really becomes all about the blue berry, with a lingering ghost of guin and lemon grass. Prettiest with wear, I think.

Oh my... I never want to stop sniffing my arms.. Everything just works perfectly.

Boozy but not too bitter, and the lovely fruits in the background. Once applied my skin just amps up everything and stays for a long long time. Nice throw. I'll be using this like crazy in the summer. Deliciousss! :wub2:

Edited by Cali

In the bottle: fizzy blueberries, but also reminds me of a blue Otter Pop.

Wet: same, the gin becoming slightly more apparent. The papaya giving it a more tropical vibe.

Drydown: papaya coming to the front, lemongrass hanging out in the back - grounding it, smells like a tropical drink for sure

Dry: blueberry and papaya, it goes a bit sweeter, and the fizzyness goes away. Still smells like a blue Otter Pop to me. Overall, it's a fun, summertime smell.

Wet: A fizzy blueberry alcoholic beverage. Very strong on the gin!

Dry: This is a rare blend where I can smell EVERYTHING on the drydown. Papaya, lemongrass, blueberry, and gin are all present. The fizzyness from the wet stage isn't as prominent, but it's still there as well. The papaya and lemongrass are the strongest notes, followed by blueberry, and then gin.

Basically.. smells like a well-mixed fruity alcoholic beverage.

Perfect for summer! Just don't wear it to work. ;)