Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Papaya, blueberry, lemongrass, and gin.

Ooh! Right after application, this is a really fizzy scent. I immediately get effervescence - like I stuck my nose in a glass of sparkling water. (How does Beth do that? Seriously?!)

It's a fruity, fizzy beverage, without being overly sweet. Blueberry is the dominant of the two fruit notes, which is lovely. I adore blueberry, but can't think of many (any?) other scents with it as a note. Smooth papaya remains in the background, if it's there at all.

This is a gin and tonic (one of my standards :P) with a splash of blueberry juice. Very unique. Very refreshing. It's quite yummy!

Stays quite close to my skin, and if I huff too hard or too close, it's that same sensation that tingles your nose if you did the same to a glass of soda water!

I do wish the blueberry was more prominant, but still a fun blend!

ETA: Actually, I think this has a bit more throw than I originally gave it credit! I'm working at my computer while testing, and every once in awhile I get a whiff of scent, as if I actually had a fruity, fizzy beverage next to me. (Which, very sadly, I do not.)

And, my brain is mush, but is there lemongrass in here? I think I remember seeing that as a note. It's coming out more, alongside the blueberry.

This is growing on me. :D

ETA the second: :D Scratch that. 90 or so minutes later and it's stale gin and tonic on me. No fruit. Just . . . blech. Ah well. Silly chemistry. Edited by Shollin

This wasn’t something that was on my radar by any means, but I’m a sucker for anything with the word Blue in it, and when I had a chance to a bunch of Tiki scents at the same time I just couldn’t resist having this on my list.

This is the first of the Tiki’s to go boozy on me, and the blueberry and lemongrass really stand out. The papaya starts to come out a little more over time and eventually mellows out with the blueberry.

I can’t believe I wasn’t going to give this a chance!

This is less sparkly and more syrupy sweet than I was expecting. Very sugary. To me it's more of a dessert scent than a 'drink' scent. Blueberry is the star here and if you think you might like a blueberry perfume, this is the one to look for! I haven't smelled anything else like this one, and I will enjoy my decant.

A bright, fizzy scent. Somewhere between fruity and foody. It's a little too sweet for me, but captures the concept well. The lemongrass rounds things out a little and the blueberry is definitely the main player. I don't get much booze. Medium throw.

Edited by dzurlady

This is way tropical.

It's blueberry and Papaya, I don't get Gin and only a tiny tiny bit of lemongrass. It reminds me of when I used to make Jelly as a kid. Vey strong in your face fruit. It does have a kind of green/dry element to it when it's dry. Almost a dusty smell. Which is a bit weird. But it's still nice!!

Edited by ouch!

First Sniff: Fizzy, dry blueberries with a punch of lemongrass.

On skin: Usually a scent with blueberries is wet and very voluptious. In Blue Fire, the blueberries are dry, and fizzy. The gin really makes these blueberries bubble, like a glass of champagne. I detect a green note, which could be from lemongrass, and the papaya is noticeable, but not in the forefront.

Drydown: As the blueberry fades, papaya and lemongrass take over and although this is definitely more boozier than other tiki's, the gin gives Blue Fire a nice twist.

Final Thoughts: A nice refreshing fruity twist. Throw is good, and I like the fact that the addition of lemongrass, does not make this an overly sweet tiki.

In Vial: Blueberry and ginger

Wet: This is fizzy. Smells like a light, fruity carbonated beverage.

Dry: On me it is all gin.

Fizzy blueberries! That's what it smells like at first. But then the blueberries fade out and what's left is a fruity gin, but I can't really place the fruit scent. It's not identifiable as blueberry anymore. I think I can smell a little bit of lemongrass in it, but not too much. Seems mostly gin when it's dry.

Ewww, horribly boozy, then getting all sour on me.

One of the worst disasters I had in a while :P

Wow, this is really sour! It's faintly ginger-y but mainly just really, really sharp blueberry. I like it and it does settle down after a while, becaoming slightly more powdery and less sour.

Blueberry and papaya- the papaya is the stronger note. There is a tiny bit of lemongrass in the background but I am not getting the sharpness that others have commented on.

This is a beautifully tropical scent- it just fades to practically nothing in less than an hour. Blue Fire is definitely to be slathered generously and often.

Blue Fire

In the imp: blueberry! Sweet delicious gorgeous blueberry!

Wet on skin: now I can smell the gin, and the scent gains a boozy effervescence.

Dry: blueberry and gin. The gin is very strong here, it smells just like the gin in 21, that smell of clear, cold juniper, only this time, with a hint of blueberry and papaya. I smell a faint hint of lemongrass, but it’s not as strong as I expected that note to be. The strongest note for now is the gin, and the blueberry seems to have quietened down a lot, which is a shame because the blueberry note was so lovely.

After a while: the blueberry note, which is very sweet and almost creamy, really wafts! All around me is a cloud of blueberry and I love it. however, when I smell my skin where the perfume was applied, all I smell is sweet gin, which is not as nice as the lovely blueberry that I smell on the scent’s throw.

It seems that the gin note totally dominates and by the end I hardly smell that blueberry waft any more…just sweet gin, not as sweet as before but a lot drier and more bitter as well.

Verdict: I adore, adore, adore the blueberry in here. It smells sweet, juicy, bright, happy, delicious and blueberry-tastic. But once it hits skin, that gorgeous berry scent gets rudely pushed aside by an almost bully-like gin note. It’s gin first, sharp and juniper-scented, with blueberry as an afterthought. The scent doesn’t improve much at drydown either, with still more overpowering gin. I’ll have to see if this one works better in a locket because…blueberries! Crawdad is lovely but not blueberry enough, but this is too heavy on the gin for me…

Emoticon rating: :D (but a great big :P for the blueberry note)

Is it a keeper? Not really.

If you like this, try: Crawdad Dream, Golden Wave, Rangoon Riptide, 21, The Hamptons, Swank

Edited by yeahbutnobut

In the imp - heavy on the papaya with a hint of gin. I was really hoping for the kick ass blueberry but so far none to be found.

Wet it reminds me of what it tastes like when I'm eating skittles. (I like to pair up the different colors so I get a nice tropical fruit blend!) Mainly lemon grass and papaya. The gin takes a backseat, which I'm pleasantly surprised about!

Wait! Blueberry! I decent a wafting of blueberry goodness from my hand! Wait wha....as I sniff, there's no blueberry. I have phantom blueberries! I keep getting these little teasing whiffs of blueberries but upon closer sniffage it disappears!

After a while this turns super duper sweet. Like I could almost get a toothache from sniffing this sweet. Luckily this stage doesn't last too long, and afterwards it's followed by a lovely light scent. Now it smells like a creamy blueberry and papaya mix with a little extra zing. And as I typed that last sentence I realized that that is indeed what it's supposed to smell like. This smells like what a tropical sunset would look like to me. All bright yellows and oranges streaking a clear blue sky over the water.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with this. I eventually get some mixed blueberry goodness and while the gin note is there, it's never crazy strong. However after it reaches what I think of as it's ideal phase, it's almost dwindled down to nothingness. I agree this would need to be slathered often. I'm not sure if I'm going to hunt down a bottle but I will definitely be making use of my decant :P

In the bottle: Sweet blueberry with a little something extra

On the skin: This scent immediately turned into pure gin. If juniper was one of the notes listed, I wouldn't have been suprised. I also get a bit of lemon, but the sweet blueberry is entirely gone. While gin is one of my favorite drinks (mmmmm, gin and tonic!), I don't think I would like to smell like pure juniper all day. Ah, well. This one will hopefully go to someone else who would treasure it more.

omg this smells like that drink, Blue Curacao :blink:

I do not like that. it is far to sweet for me, it does smell very tropical as supposed.

ADDED Aug. 14:

whoooo.. this is Blue Curacao! :cthulhu:

First sniff: If I hold the bottle right up to my nose, the gin is pretty much all I smell, with a tiny splash of tropical fruit in the background. From farther away, the blueberry is what wafts. I don’t think I’ve ever had a scent do that before.

The second half of my reviews usually starts with Wearing: but this time...

Spilled on my desk: Due to my own severe klutziness, I’ve been surrounded in a cloud of this stuff every time I've been at my computer for the past several days. I’ve also been sick for about the same period of time, so I now have a bad association with it and don't want to try it on. It’s headachey-boozey blueberry and it needs to go away.

To me this is the least fruity of the 5 luau bar blends I have. All I smell is the gin and maybe, just maybe I can find the blueberry if I try hard enough. Its okay, I'm sure it would be better with the right person. My friend really enjoys it and when i spilt like half of the bottle on my dresser the room did smell good I just wouldnt wear this one.

Whoa! This one is STRONG! Mainly lemongrass and gin on me. It's sweet and fruity but also extremely sharp with the gin note. This smells exactly like those giant blue drinks you can get at Ruby Tuesday's. I don't like this much but I have an aversion to eating or drinking anything that is that fake blue color. I think I am prejudice against this scent for it's blueness! :lol: This is very strong, long lasting, and has a ton of throw.

Yummy! I want to drink this! Tropical, bright, and juicy; I can't tell if the papaya or blueberry is more dominant, but the lemongrass is a delicious bright tone over it all, and the gin keeps it from being too sweet, like gum....

Edited by Andrea912

First I gotta say that I loved everything from the Luau Lounge and this one's got to be my favorite! In the bottle I get just a hint of blueberry with something green in the backround. When I put it on I get gin right off the bat then it dries down to fizzy lemon-lime scent. Though I don't really smell any blueberry but the neat "sprite" scent makes it worth while. Everything blends together so well, this is got to be the most summery one of them all!

Blue Fire

LOVE. Fizzy blueberry gin. I put this on without remembering what was in it beyond blueberry and gin, which might have influenced my perception and reaction a bit. All I can smell is syrupy sweet blueberry (and I mean that in a GOOD way) and gin and fizz. This is DIVINE. It's making me go all CAPPY. I hope this makes another appearance sometime, or that I can get ahold of another bottle.

Oh, gin, how I love you for summertime! :thud: I loved the note in Velvet Pink Kitty and set out to find a bit of Blue Fire as a result.

This is bright white gin with very blue tarty blueberries and a hint of that tropical papaya. No lemongrass scent on my skin, which works for me!

Oh gosh, this is pure sweet bright tangy lemonade with a hint of berry on me. The perfect summer scent! Sharp, sweet and clean and bright!

It's like a tall cool glass of berry lemonade, from in the bottle, to wet on wrist, to the drydown. Mmmmmm. :)

this is all papya all the time.

nothing else makes an appearance for me...just papya

Oh my! I would guess this had blood orange in it if I wasn't looking at the notes. A burst of citrus sweetness with a fresh glow to it. Decent throw and staying power. I may have to track down mor of this. Refreshing scent and would be fantastic in a bath product of some kind :)