Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Papaya, blueberry, lemongrass, and gin.

Oooh blueberry! I have had blueberries on the brain lately, and this definitely satisfies my craving lol. It's so bright and fun and sweet. The lemongrass keeps this a bit on the tart side, so that it doesn't get too heavily sweet. I could honestly kick myself for not buying a bottle of this one, I LOOOVE it!

In Bottle

Wow: this is SWEET! And smells almost fizzy-- reminds me of a Fruit Tingle-- both the cocktail and the lollies!

On Me

Still sweet and fizzy-- there's something citrus in there and the blueberry is very obvious. It reminds me of the Jessica Simpson edible cosmetics which I was obsessed with awhile ago... it's pretty, and yum, and smells like I could just lick it... though I'm not going to try THAT.

A breakdown? I'm definitely getting a citrus note, though it's softer than your standard lemon or orange-- I'm suspecting mandarin. It's something above and beyond the lemongrass, though... not sure what it is. The papaya is there, too, as is the blueberry-- but the gin-- the note I was super-curious about-- I can't smell it!

In short: yep, it's yummy. Not sure how often I'd wear this, and I may go in search of a bottle down the track. Am glad I got a decant of it, though.

Edited by LadyLuckDoubt

Wet: Blueberry candy and alcohol. Fitting, I suppose.

First on: Er...children's medicine? The lemongrass and gin are combining for a very medicinal tang here.

Dry: Meh. Too much lemony gin and not nearly enough blueberry or papaya. I like lemon okay, but not really lemon liquor so much.

Wet on the wand and straight on the skin: Blueberry, sweet, almost candy like but pleasantly not cloying. Slight lemongrass/citrus scent.

On the Dry Down: Surprisingly pleasant. Fruit and citrus makes a great balance.

I have to say this one has been the biggest surprise. It started off reminding me a bit of the old Strawberry Shortcake dolls, the ones that had scents embedded in the plastic. Whichever one the blueberry doll was... in any case, I half expected it to stay juvenile... but it almost immediately picked up the lemongrass scent and matured into a very pleasant scent. Overall it's very lovely!

I expected to LOVE Blue Fire. I love blueberries and thought maybe the Gin wouldn't amp up on me like most alcohol scents do.

But I was wrong. At first it is blueberries and GIN then it became really like Pez or something on me. Overall too young and fruity and alcoholic for me. Oh well. worth a shot.

In the vial: Blueberries and something quite bitter.

On: Papaya and blueberries. :D This one is very sweet, but not cloying. I wasn't going to try this at first just because of how my skin hates lemongrass, but it stays away the entire time. This has amazing throw and staying power.

Verdict: My favorite so far out of the Luau Lounge. :P

Edited by DogNPonyShow

In the bottle: Sugary sweet fruit, lots of gin.

Wet: A hint of sharpness from the gin, but mostly this is syrupy, over-sweet blueberries.

Drydown: I'm all about the sweet foody scents, but this was overkill while it was wet. Thankfully it calmed down as it dried, becoming lighter and less cloying. It's like a blue raspberry slushy, with a dash of gin, some fizzy club soda, and a twist of lemon. This scent is very summery and so much fun, and I got more compliments wearing it today than any other I've tried. It's got great throw, and it lasted all day long without needing to be reapplied.

Oh my goodness -- this is a wonderful, wonderful summer scent!

It's bright and blueberry fizzy yum in the decant. On my skin, it's blueberry, fizzy, and the lemongrass gives it this lovely sharp edge to keep it from being too sweet. There's an underlying juniper scent (the gin, obviously) that makes it deliciously fresh.

This is a happy, bouncy scent, and I am SO glad I bought a bottle!

For a brief and beautiful moment after application, Blue Fire is all woo! blueberry! woo! papaya! woo! fruit! in your face!

Unfortunately, it segues almost instantly into smelling like dirt. All the fruit goes away within minutes and then it's just... dirt. And not nice earthy soil as in Worm Moon... just dried up old dirt. Yuck.

I had a similar experience with Golden Wave, so I'm thinking my skin might not like gin. :P It'd be fitting... it doesn't like rum or wine, and I love both of those. Stupid skin.

I definitely get a christmas-y vibe at first from this...likely the juniper berry in the gin but this adds Pez candy to the mix. It's funny, this smell is specifically related to Pez and no other candy.

Sweet blueberry, lemongrass and gin. Bubbly and fun.

Very very strong and fizzy blueberry/lemongrass/gin.... the blueberry lasts about two hours, and then it's fizzy lemony gin that may have once sat next to an open pint of blueberries. Don't recall ever detecting any papaya.

I think I like it, but I'll definitely need to try it another time or two to be sure. It's making me want something to drink... and to look at strong blueberry scents to go with this and maybe get the blueberry scent to last longer.

I'm really glad I didn't decide to try something else today, 'cause this is really surprisingly strong, even after 5 hours or so. I may let my other bottle age for a while or go; not sure yet.

oh man, i wanted to love this one. i really did.

in the bottle it smells exactly like blue hawaiian punch. when it's on me, the gin comes out, and it smells like the jungle juice we served at our last new year's party. my skin must have soaked up the lemon grass and papaya, because i never got any of those notes. just boosy blue hawaiian punch. :sigh:

Oh, blueberries, I so wanted to love you.

These are blueberry sweet tarts! It's got the fizziness --- but I associated it with dissolving sugar in your mouth.

Yes, blueberry sweet tarts. Tasty... but does anyone ever want to smell like Sweet Tarts?

BLUE FIRE

In Bottle: Sour fruits

On Skin: This is a very tart, fruity scent. The lemongrass is clean and sharp, the papaya is fresh and not quite ripe and the blueberries add a darker sweet tang to the blend. The gin adds to the sharpness with it’s telltale pine note. This scent starts out very sour but mellows out a bit. It still provides a bright stimulating “wake up” feel. It’s a bit sour and sharp for my taste but an interesting scent none the less. Medium to strong throw, average to long wearlength.

In vial: creamy, lemony, vague.

Wet on skin: very soft and creamy but I can't make out any particular notes.

Dry on skin: still creamy and sweet. It's nice and completely unexpected! Very short wear length, though. Keeping this one!

:D

normally fruity ANYTHING isn't my thing, but when I read the descriptions of the tikis, Blue Fire just jumped out at me. I thought about it all month long. I just *knew* I would love it.

and i opened the bottle...and...

:P it smells fresh, and bracing, and fizzy! It's going to be great for summer. The blueberries smell sweet and ripe, and the gin gives it a fresh, almost cold sort of feeling. it's lovely. it will be wonderful to wear on a hot July night, in a wifebeater and linen skirt.

wet on skin: sweetening up a bit, and becoming less sour. drat. I really wanted it to stay EXACTLY like it was wet. oh well. this is nice, too.

drydown: softer and sweeter. the gin and lemongrass threaten to get bitter, but they never really do, and they keep the fruits from being too sweet.

3 hours later: lingering sweetness. that's all she wrote! this is a keeper for me for sure.

nutshell: ripe, tart blueberries with some fresh gin notes to balance it out. average to low throw, average to short wearlength.

Oh, I really want to like this one! Anything that says "Blue" in the name calls to me to wear it. Unfortunately, I'm just not sure...

In the Bottle:

It's blueberry Sprite. Fizzy and sweet, but not too. I don't get any sort of candy note or anything too cloying - just blueberries, something lemon-limey, and fizz. It smells light and refreshing!

on skin, wet/early drydown: It stays pretty true to the bottle for about an hour, all fizzy and fruity, and I loved it. It wasn't too strong, but had a medium throw - I could smell it without putting my nose to my wrist, which isn't always the case with a lot of oil-based scents on me. I was starting to be pleasantly surprised by the wear time on this one, a few hours later, when...

late drydown:

... it turns into dirt. Maybe that's the gin? I'm not really familiar with what gin smells like, but there's something sharp and musty at the same time, and while the scent remained sweet underneath it, the prevailing mustiness almost stung my nose. I wanted to scrub off that scent and leave the blueberry note behind. Unfortunately I can still smell it slightly the next morning, which doesn't bode well.

I'm going to try it again, because every so often my skin will amp a weird note once and then never again, and I'm hoping maybe the scent will mellow out a bit if I let it sit for a few weeks. Still, I'm going to be awfully disappointed if I can't wear this one, because I love how it smells for the first few hours!

ETA: I'm glad I kept this one -- I don't know if aging did it or my nose started accepting it better, but I don't get the dusty note to it at all now. For two summers in a row this has been a go-to fizzy scent.

Edited by Viridian

First Impression: Fizzy fruit.

Dries down to: Initially, I get a burst of blueberry; then, it settles down to papaya and lemongrass with a spritz of gin.

Additional Comments: I really thought the blueberry would dominate this blend but, on me, it's just a whisper. It's not what I expected but I really like it. It'll be especially refreshing in the summer.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5.

The gin is totally there, making me blink, and my nose wince. I love the blueberry note, so I put a drop of this on, and...... it dries down to almost exactly what Midway smells like on me- which, while this would be a good sentence for most people to utter, it is not good for me. WTF?? It's dusty with a hint of sweet fruitiness- there's fizz to this one, where there was just dust in Midway, but... woah. There's something wrong with my chemistry. What a strange drydown! Will update if things change.

This is the most incredibly long lasting fruity BPAL I've ever tried. I nearly passed this one over, but then something went off in the back of my head and I just had to have it.

It morphs very little for me. From start to finish, it's thick, sweet blueberry and papaya with a hint of lemongrass and a top note of gin. The gin is not boozy, in that it doesn't smell like you've just splashed a bottle of Tanqueray all over yourself. It smells like gin, but without the alcohol. It's bright and clean and works about like white musk in this blend. Any alcohol scent quickly burns off, for me.

The blueberry is the most distinctive quality of this, for me. The papaya is definitely there, but to my nose, it simply blends with the blueberry and makes it more syrupy. The lemongrass is very well behaved, which is a little disappointing, actually. I kind of hoped this would go more herbal, but it looks like my skin chemistry wants it to be properly fruity.

Throw is good, and it has some of the best staying power of any of the hundreds of BPAL scents I've tried.

In the bottle – The main fruit scent is the papaya and surprisingly (to me) you can really smell the gin underneath

Wet on me – It’s a slightly peculiar scent combination. The first hit is the sweet juicy papaya with a touch of sharpness from the lemongrass, but the dryness of the gin sits just behind it

Dry on me – The papaya puts up a valiant effort, but is eventually swamped by ashes soaked in gin, which is not good

Overall – I’m gutted that this blend just will not work on my skin

In the bottle, I instantly pick up the papaya - very lush and sweet and tropical. Then some of the lemongrass comes up.

On my skin, the papaya hits first, then blends really nicely with the blueberry and lemongrass - the herbiness in the gin is there in the background.

When it dries - mmmm, light, clean but sweet and fruity. It's very nicely blended; no notes pop out - great for hot summer days!

In the imp: Juicy blueberry with a hint of lemongrass.

Wow, that blueberry note is divine. Sadly, when it hits my skin, the lemongrass decides that it has been a secondary note for far too long and beats the blueberry into submission. I now have Lemongrass SN on my arm; with maybe a hint of gin sharpening it up a bit.

*wails* Come back, blueberry! I miss you!

Guh. This stuff is so good!

It doesn't change much at all from bottle to drydown -- it's a sweet, fruity, bubbly scent. I mostly get the blueberry (which is LOVE), but it's not tart as I expected it to be -- I'm guessing that's because the mango is sweetening it up. I don't get any blatant lemongrass, and the gin only adds a tiny bit to the background of the scent.

I love this stuff. :P

This was the first bottle I purchased of the Tiki scents, and it's still my favorite from the collection.

In the bottle: Boozy fruit.

Wet on skin: Yum yum yummy papaya. It's like a dripped a tropical mixed drink on my arm. Really!

Dry: As this dries the gin becomes more apparent, it has sort of a pine scent, soft and just enough to give it that spiked punch sort of feel. I'm really not detecting any blueberries. I grew up with a backyard full of blueberry bushes and I guess what I'm looking for is a fresh picked blueberry scent. If there's blueberry in here it's only adding a berry was to the melange of fruit. I get sunny papaya and a dash of lemongrass. The two together almost smell like pineapple (??) Very odd...and very delicious!

This is a bright, fun, summer vacation scent. It evokes images of lounging next to a pool with a little umbrella drink in hand while the sun bakes my skin. My husband LOVES this one on me. I've been wearing this a lot lately.

ETA...

Husband review: Wintry balsam fir mixed with a crazy Chinese booze drink....on the beaches of Phucket.

Well then! http://www.bpal.org/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/00000288.gif

Edited by Monster