Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Cheri

April Fool

Huckleberry, white rose, tangerine, nicotiana, lemon blossom, and Fool's Parsley.

This is sort of sharp in the bottle- probably the parsley. White rose, apparently, loves me more than red roses. It is smooth and soft. I was worried the huckleberry would be sharp or that the nicotiana would be heady (due to unfamiliarity with it, maybe?) or that the rose would be overwhelming. It's none of those things. It's a soft, happy blend. It's like being curled up on the couch in the arms of someone who loves you with a warm blanket while it rains outside and reading a favourite book or watching a favourite movie. It smells like contentment, to me. And I must agree, the label is stunning.

Ah well, this is just beautiful! I'm often a tad wary of tangerine as it can easily turn on me (Golden Wave is a good recent example), but the huckleberry and white rose really made me curious so I got a decant of it. I'm really glad I did try April Fool as it's so sweet and fresh on me with a fruity edge. All the notes work well together and they help to create a youthful happy blend.

Edited by porcelain

Wet: Wow, that's a sharp herbal. Yikes.

Drydown: I'm getting the rose now, a hint of citrus, and a sweetness I'm guessing is the huckleberry. It's still grounded by a green herbal I'm assuming is the parsley, but it's lost that knife-sharp edge that I was getting before. This is definitely not what I was expecting, but it's very pretty and it lasts a really long time.

I'm so awful with notes--I just know I like this! In the bottle it's wet greeny, with a hint of sharpness. The parsley and citrus, I think.

On, it softens, and the floral and lightly fruity notes come out and blend in. Oooh! Lovely. So glad I took a chance on a bottle.

straight sniff from imp is quite herbaceous...cilantro...delightful!!

once applied a hint of rose and lemon...a drop of floral...this is too, too pretty...nice sillage...

i really love my imp but not yet sure if i need a big bottle...love the concept tho!!!

My first impression was Twigs! and Sweet!

This is a light scent, surprisingly sweet but not cloying. The green note is there but an afterthought. Overall a super nice blend and very wearable. I thought I would hate this and I really like it. This would be a great "i don't know what to wear today" scent.

I have been putting off reviewing this one until I could place which scent it reminded me of, and I finally realized that it's like a light and refreshing version of Ostara. Yes, I know that April Fool has huckleberry and tangerine, and the most fruit that you can find in Ostara is orange, but I can't help but compare the two, as on me they turn out very similar. But I like April Fool a lot better, because Ostara can turn very heavy and overwhelmingly fruity on me, while April Fool has a light touch.

April Fool is fruit and flowers, with a light and refreshing background that some liken to parsley, but is something a little more bitter on me, maybe a slight touch of artemesia of some sort. It lightens the fruitiness and keeps it from becoming cloying or heavy. I could wear this a lot.

It doesn't seem to change much on drydown. It's fairly heavy on the fruit, when it first goes on, and the fruit stays up front, but becomes better blended with the rest of the ingredients. Like implied by its name, it's a frivilous scent, but seems to have good long-term wear. Definitely a goodie!

Edited by Jilara

Preconceived Notions: Reading the notes, I think I will love this because of the tangerine and huckleberry, and the bottle art is so lovely. The word rose is the only thing that makes me hesitate, because it can be so hit or miss.

In bottle: Lovely bright tangerine with a green, herbal mixer.

Wet/on skin: As soon as I put this on, I get more of the green, herbal note ?fool’s parsley? It’s green but not sharp and wonderfully astringent. Also the huckleberry wafts intermixed with the bright citrus of the tangerine. Sniffing tangerine just makes me feel giddy. :P

Drydown: The huckleberry warms up and smells lovely and sweet, rose behaves and adds a floral depth, doesn't go soapy. Fool’s parsley actually mellows out the berry and absorbs its sweetness. The rose is light and stays in the background. The lemon blossom shows its head, and smells sweet and light. I am going to have to add lemon blossom to my list of favorites, I guess, since I am really enjoying this note whenever it appears in a blend. The tangerine lifts the fragrance and lasts well into the drydown, which elates me.

Overall Impression: This is a great subdued floral, berry scent with a burst of citrus from the tangerine, all tempered by the astringent green of the fool’s parsley. Exquisitely blended. The rose and lemon blossom appear as florishes but don't overpower and the rose doesn't go powdery or soapy--as I was afraid the April Fool would do. I am so glad I was able to score a big bottle of this, it is so worthy. If you like Jester, you will love this. I think it resembled Bakeneko too, maybe just the tangerine part. A fun, well blended summer scent for April girls more than boys.

Normally I dislike fruity-floral blends and think they all smell the same, but April Fool is a fruity floral that actually smells unique and wearable to me. I love a lot of the lab's roses, and this is another favorite.

At first, this was sharply herbal with a jab of sour citrus, but it quickly mellowed down on my skin to a soft, sweet rose with hints of juicy, sunny citrus and a background of dark herbal greenery. In the drydown, it gets even sweeter and more berry-ish, which I guess is the huckleberry. The herbal greenery seems to keep it from getting too sweet, and the soft rose and citrus add a complexity to round out the edges. I like that I can pick out most of the notes and they're still meshing together so well.

I slathered on some more of this one when my boy came home for lunch and he said it smelled "really beautiful." I might have to search out a full bottle of April Fool...

April Fool

In the imp: a sweet yet sharp berry with a herbal, basil-like bite.

Wet on skin: now I smell all the fruity notes, the tangy tangerine and berry with lemon blossom.

Dry on skin: mmm, I quite like this! It actually smells quite strongly of orange blossom now, must be a mix of tangerine and lemon blossom doing this. I also smell the parsley, which smells green and herbal, and definitely like parsley, but I really like it-it’s unusual and different. I do smell some berry, but no rose yet, no tobacco flower either. It reminds me of Jester, but I prefer this.

After a while: oh, what a little trickster this crazy fool is. Now the scent has moved from that lovely, bouncy, neroli-type scent into something I’m not so keen on. Now the huckleberry really comes out, and it’s a lot nicer than the berry in Jester (that smelt like synthetic sweets) but now it smells overripe, like the berries are fermenting, and it’s going a bit cloying. It reminds me of what some blossom notes do on my skin, turn to a really sickly overripe fruit scent. I still smell the herbal parsley, some lemon and maybe a hint of nicotiana, but no rose.

Thankfully it doesn’t turn to full blown rotting berry like I feared it would. It does, sadly, turn to a fake fruit scent, reminiscent of those sour sweets. Not glorious sweet juicy berries like I hoped for (for that, I should stick to redcurrant) and certainly not much rose or tobacco. Ok, maybe a hint of nicotina, a teasing hint. But it still smells of strangely odd berries. Not sure if I am digging this scent.

After a while I get something like pine, which is very pretty. The berry is still the strongest note though, and it goes into a fermenting phase at times.

Verdict: oh April Fool, I was born in your month, so why must you play a trick on my skin, laughing in my face as your scent turns bad? You started out so well, with your happy citrus scent, like neroli and jaunty tangerine with a hint of green, basil-like herbs. And then, you smell like huckleberry. Now I realise what made me dislike Jester so much, it was the huckleberry. On me this smells very fake berry and sour sweets with hints of herbs. No rose at all, very little tobacco flower. Not exactly ‘epic fail’ but considering that I really was hoping this would be my perfect April scent after the disappointment of Poisson D’Avril (which turned to soap) it was a shame to have it go bad on me, but not totally unexpected considering the notes. And I love the label so much!

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? No, I managed to pass it on to someone else who loves it.

If you like this, try: Jester, La Vita Nuova, Delirium, Rosalind

With no ingredients that I usually choose, I bought this only because it smelled nice in the bottle.

Very chirpy and fresh. Leaning back, this envelopes in a bright perfume while not being overly potent on the wrist. This ended up smelling really fantastic on me - I LOVE it!

April Fool – The first time I tested this scent, it was really green, bitter, and nothing but icky parsley, so I sold my bottle. Then I got a tester imp and decided to test it again. This time, it came across as strong huckleberry and rose, a bit of tangerine, and a drop of parsley, which sharpened it up, but didn’t cause it to be bitter like it was the first time. I loved it the second time around. The scent is really strong and has incredible throw. I’m going to have to track down more of this. What a bummer that I sold my bottle! Lesson learned: always test things twice in case your body chemistry is “off” the first time you try and don’t like something.

At first sniff, this is a very bright, sweet, fruty-floral scent, with an undertone of sharp greenness. A bit like a more complex version of Rosalind. Definitely very springlike!

It's pleasant enough for the most part, but something about that green herbal undercurrent doesn't quite harmonize with the other notes, at least for me. There's an element of discord which, while perhaps appropriate for the trickster element of the day it's named for, makes it not as enjoyable as it could be.

In its later stages, there seems to be a strong honey scent in it -- which I quite like. I also get a lot of the honey note when walking by the shelf the imp is on, since I appear to have spilled a bit of it when trying it. And it's quite nice that way -- maybe the discordant element is more my skin chemistry? Perhaps I'll try it as a room scent and see...

Grade: B-

In the bottle, I smell something strange, almost sour - is it the huckleberry?

On my skin, it's very light - the sourness is completely gone. I'm not getting the huckleberry or tangerine - it's all floral, albeit very light and clean florals.

When it dries, the huckleberry comes back up - but there's a sourness to it that just doesn't do it for me. I love eating huckleberries - but this scent isn't working.

This delightful green, fruity and floral scent frolics blithely, playing musical chairs with its identity - all the while remaining light and airy...bright and happy. Daydreams of Springtime in a bottle.

April Fool took a leap of faith straight into my Top 10!

:P :D

In the bottle:

Rating: 5

Notes: nicotiana, tangerine, parsley?, lemon blossom, huckleberry?

Comment: It makes my nose tingle with tang!

Wet on skin:

Notes: huckleberry?, tangerine, white rose, lemon blossom

Comment: I've never smelled huckleberry before, but I think I smell it.

Dry on skin:

Notes: huckleberry, lemon blossom, tangerine, white rose.

Scent Intensity: 4

Comment: Delicious. The sharpness has faded.

Misc:

Duration: 3+ Hrs

Keyword(s): tangy, fruit

Color: Seafoam green

Smells like: N/A

Edited by Akasha Tsang
Removed Lab description --Shollin

In the imp: Very sharp; sort of a dark green smell.

This is quite an interesting scent. I was hoping that it would be mostly huckleberry, but once on m skin it's mostly rose and lemon blossom. There's also a very sharp note in the background; I've never smelled anything like it, so I'm going to assume that it's the parsley. Interesting scent, but very not me.

A lovely "springy" scent to me. The huckleberry and tangerine add such a nice tartness to it, but the herbs keep it from getting overly fruity. It was one I needed back ups of.

In the bottle: Wet tangerine with huckleberry. No green at all.

On initially: Sweet like freshly cut grass with a green sharpness and a peppery note.

Settles: The sharpness really took a back seat quickly. I've got a combination of white rose and huckleberry, maybe some tangerine. Very pretty up-close sniff, but no throw. Smells like what I would love to find in a shampoo.

Overall: Very pretty, but just not strong enough. Glad I tried it, though.

Imp: rose and the lemon blossom

Wet on me: still rose and the lemon blossom. So far this is not cloying rose.

Drying Down: spoke too soon. I must AMP rose as that is all I am getting.

Dry: damn damn damn. Just rose. No lemon blossom, no tangerine, not even the nicotania let alone the huckleberry. This is the April Fools joke on me

I really liked how citrusy and parsley this was, and it almost has a cool melon hint to it. As it dries, it has become slightly more floral and yes I do detect a rosy edge to it... but it isn't overhwhelming.

Nice.

A generous decant from mimosatique! :glomp:

In the vial: nicotiana flower (uh-oh!), tart purple berries, white rose, sharp green herbal

Wet on skin: the herbal smells like coriander, must be the parsley...a bit more rose with citrus and lemon blossom

Drydown: An interplay of sweet and sour with the huckleberry and tangerine. The white rose has merged with the berry and herbs into a soft fruited floral. The parsley and nicotiana surprisingly soften up the blend and give it some earthiness. There is a fizziness, too!! After a while, the rose is wistful and light floating around in the fruit blend. This reminds me of a berry version of La Vita Nuova! Throw is medium.

A juicy floral that has more than its share of playfulness!! Fizzy and lots of fun!

771445942_VvmV6-Ti.jpg

A very wonderful and anything but foolish blend. The huckleberry note is prominent at first sniff, but then the greenery takes over and you can smell Spring’s approach. The rose (which is a note I’m quite fond of) never shows up, but white rose isn’t a very strong rose, so I’m really not surprised, given the strength of the other notes. I’m glad I have a bottle of this, and can herald the April Fool with it.

Fresh greenish scent, with a trace of florals. Very, very nice!

Edited by stellans

I don't even remember this oil being live, ha. I probably ignored it because it doesn't sound like something I'd wear at all. I was frimped a sample by edenssixthday, though, woohoo!

In the imp, April Fool is pretty evenly divided between a berry scent (huckleberry, I assume, although I don't really "know" that note), a soft rose, tangerine, and lemon blossom. I don't really get anything too herbal from it, but almost all of the other notes show up.

On me, it's mostly a tangerine-and-light-floral mix. It's okay, but it's not really my thing; the florals end up almost sharp. I actually like it a lot more in the imp. Chemistry fail!

Edited by karen