Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Cheri

April Fool

The first of April is the day we remember what we are the other 364 days of the year. - Mark Twain

The Fool is many things, but rarely is he foolish. He is the inscrutable zero, he is innocence perfected, and he is the nothing from which all things are created. It is the Fool that reveals truth and brings wisdom to King Lear, and it is the Fool that finally finds the Holy Grail.

Huckleberry, white rose, tangerine, nicotiana, lemon blossom, and Fool's Parsley.

April Fool sure fooled me. I was worried that all I would smell is rose, but this is going to be so nice as a summer scent. As it's drying I can smell Huckleberry and tangerine, and probably lemon blossom. It's really quite pretty.

This is my first time writing the first review for a scent, and I'm not very good with identifying notes. I'm happy that I got a bottle of this before it went away.

Note to Mods: I couldn't find a topic for this, so if there was one started, please feel free to move this.

Mmm. I smell lemon, tangerine, and rose, but this isn't a sweet scent. Perhaps the parsley is giving it a little kick of green that's keeping it from going all fruity? It's light and summery and will probably be lovely on a hot day, because it's not overpowering at all. Hard to describe, really, but nice!

Edited after wearing this all day: this has GREAT staying power. Rose and lemon both tend to fade quickly on me but this blend lasted all day long. Really beautiful!

Edited by Iceblink

The lemon balm is prominent at first but nicely tempered by the other fruits, and there is a green tang that I think must be the parsley-like note. They all become supporting notes in the drydown.

The dry down is awesome - I definitely smell the nicotiana, which I think makes April Fool something of a summertime Black Lace. Only instead of vanilla and cognac, you get subtle fruit and a ghost of rose. I like to wear Black Lace at night, for a fancy party. April Fool is what I'd wear to brunch the next morning.

In the bottle it smells purple and green. If those scents had scents

On my the rose starts to stand out first like all other scents with rose it them. But this one being a softer rose doesn't really make me smell like an old lady.

But sadly that's all I get it rose. Nothing complex just rose. how rather disappointing

Bottle: Fresh and green

Wet: Grassy and fresh, clean.

Drydown: Not as floral as I thought it would be, but still not what I was hoping for. Glad I tried it, though!

2.5 outta 5

i am finally starting to learn my lesson and give the oils a day or two to rest. i think the journey across country just does something to the oils cos when i first got them, i smelled april fool from the bottle and it was just WEIRD--it was like pickles and vinegar. but now, after it's settled into its new home:

wet, i get the softness of huckleberry and the mere hint of white rose, all fizzed but the tangerine. therer is an overall light, airy greenness to the scent. but not like grass, lighter than that.

as it dries, i get more of the "lime green" scent i would envision from the label (which is GORgeous, btw). this reminds me of a less tangy calyx by prescriptives.

overall, very nice and perfect for summertime. i am very glad i sprung for the bottle!

In bottle/imp: Berry and rose with a light herbal note.

Immediately on skin: As soon as I put this on, I get a ruddy herbal note which I’d imagine is the fool’s parsley. It’s green but not sharp and a little dry. Also in the blend lingers a little of the huckleberry I could smell right out of the bottle and a light touch of citrus.

After a little while: The huckleberry comes out more in this as I wear it, and the rose a little too. This has turned into a nice toned-down berry and soft floral scent. The fool’s parsley actually blends in very nicely with the berry and softens it a bit, taming its sweetness. The rose is light and I also get hints of the tangerine and lemon blossom.

Overall Impressions: This is a great subdued but fresh berry scent. I was worried about the fool’s parsley, but it really does a great job of softening this and blending everything together. There are subtle hints of rose, tangerine, and lemon blossom, but they all support the huckleberry/fool’s parsley combo. I find this to be quite refreshing and fun.

Right out of the bottle the hubby smelled berries and I smelled green. On, the huckleberry is the base, with a sharp, clean green overtone that is the parsley, I'm guessing. Dry, I get the huckleberry and lemon blossom, with tangerine, nicotiana (:P) and rose in that order, and the parsley is almost gone. Not a ton of throw, and not a lot of stay. The kids like it, the hubby likes it, I'm glad I have a bottle because this is a happy daytime warm weather scent.

In the bottle: Fruit and rose with the parsley greens

Wet: Garden of florals and fruits, it smelled like a fresh fruit roadside produce stand

Dry: The fruits started to separate a little and I could pick out the fruit and citrus with a slight touch of rose. I love the parsley and how fresh it makes this smell. I wasn't sure this would work for me because I amp rose like crazy but I absolutely adore this scent. This will be a great refreshing bottle to grab in the summer month's. :P

It looks like I'm not the first one to think that this smells purple and green. I get the strongest sense of playfulness and summertime from this. I smell mostly huckleberry and tangerine, but the lemon just barely peeks in there to give the tangerine an extra nudge. There's definitely an edge of green in there, and I think that's what gives this such a well-rounded quality to it. Delightful!

APRIL FOOL

In Bottle: Dry floral

On Skin: The rose amps quite a bit here, very sharp and sour. The lemon blossom adds to that effect as does the tangerine. Rose, lemon and tangerine… yep a whole lotta sour. The parsley is very green and herbal while the huckleberry offers a sweet and fruity note. The nicotiana is what brings the whole scent together. It’s the base and is darker than the other notes. It softens the edges and makes this scent quite wearable. While it is too much of a rose scent for me to wear, I’d love to smell it on someone else or use it as a room or linen spray. Medium throw and long wearlength.

I love April fool in the bottle, it's a dry and warm green floral. On the skin the berry and tangerine come out to a luscious, sweet berry scent backed by the green of the parsley. But then . . . it turns to the scent of a scented crayon, I mean that in the best way possible, and makes me sneeze. Must be the nicotiana. The lemon blossom also appears, just barely, reminding meof my favorite part of Mag Mell.

It's a shame, because this reminds me of a sweeter, fuller Vinland in the bottle and initially on application. I'll give it another try, then it's off to the swap pile. (but it's given me the idea to layer Vinland and Mag Mell!)

Ahh, April Fool. How I wanted to love thee.

This is the strangest thing: It smells very good. Crisp and fresh and clean, with soft hints of fruit.

So this isn't a case of thinking that it smells bad.

But it is connected to something in my scent memory that I can't bring to consciousness:

And this scent makes me feel bad.

Strange, and sad, because I am an April baby and really wanted to smell like springtime. :P

Aah it's the huckleberry that gives the sweetness here! It comes on very strange and I get the parsley as an interesting herbal note in there and i'm thinking ouch.

When it enters the drying phase it's not a bad scent though. A little floral, a little fruity/berry, and pretty sugar-y. Oh there's the tangerine! I can't tell the florals apart, meaning I can't smell the rose. I'm a rose lover so that makes me a little sad.

It comes across as a very clean scent on me though. Optimistic and clean. And not very powerful. I have to put my nose to my wrist to really smell it, but i find my wrist up here very often.

I like it. I was worried there in the wet stage if I would but I do. It smells good on me. It's going to be gorgeous on warm summer days.

First Impression: A fizzy fruity floral.

Dries down to: A refreshing, pretty floral - like a citrus rose champagne punch - but without the alcohol, just the fizzies.

Additional Comments: This is a really nice surprise. I hadn't expected to like it as much as I do because of the rose, which usually screams on me. But, here it's lightly floating on a bed of citrus with the other florals and not being bratty at all. I'm so glad I took a risk and ordered a bottle.

Lasted: Several hours.

Rating: 5 out of 5.

This scent just makes me happy. It also has one of the greatest labels ever -- perfect for the scent and the colors it evokes.

Initially, the strongest notes are a green, slightly bitter herb (has to be the fool's parsley) and tart Huckleberry (which has a deep, purple kind of smell). These remain the most prominent notes, for me, but they become balanced by the somewhat sweeter tangerine and smooth florals. Everything blends quite well. The florals are not faint, but definitely, the character of this scent is fruity herbal. I think the floral mostly serve to round things out.

Initially the throw is quite strong, but it does fade pretty quickly. Within 2 hours, it's relatively close to the skin.

I've been looking for just the right herbal and/or fruit scent for so long, and this is perfect. Most herbal scents are too herbal -- they have herbs and nothing else. Likewise for fruit scents. Together, it's a wonderful and unique pairing and it will be perfect for late spring and summer.

At first April Fool reminded me a bit of Envy, Passionate Shepherd, and Oblation with the impression that it was a mainly herbal scent, I'm guessing that's the Fool's Parsley and maybe nicotiana.

Then it started going fruity and, oh yes, I remember, there's huckleberry and tangerine and lemon blossom.

Now it's gone largely rose on me, with a pleasant citrusy undertone. Not a bad scent, but not really what I was searching for either. I can't seem to stop sniffing at it though, so I guess it's not going *straight* into the swap pile.

This starts off a little sharp and herbal bitter. I was a little bummed at first. But, as it dried it blossomed into this beautiful scent. It's slightly citrusy, but not in your face. I smell a ripe, juicy berry in there as well.

I've had it on as I do my after work computer thing and kept getting wafts of it and loving it. As I did, it started to really remind me of another absolute love of mine: Arkham Revisited. It's like a fresher, more clean version of AR. I like.

In the bottle: Strange and sharp. It makes my mouth feel dry like I've eaten a green banana. I think it's the combination of the nicotiana and Fool's parsley. I don't know if I will like this.

On the skin: Still sharp herbally green. Blaaah. But I'm going to let it dry to see if it changes.

Later: Beautiful! This is a morpher. First the white rose comes out with the huckleberry, fruity and sweet and floral. I love it. Later the tangerine is present, rounding out the whole scent.

Final thoughts: I really really love April Fool when it dries down and morphs into the sweeter, rosier version.

Wet: Green herbs and citrus. I smell like a perfume version of a fish seasoning.

Dry: Everything calms down a bit, and a sweetness comes out and tempers the harshness of the herbs and citrus. Really light and pretty!

I think this is an April Fool scent if ever there was one!

Bottle: I smell Huckleberry, florals, and some sharp bitter green scent.

Wet: The prominent note is that sharp bitter Parsley. Pungent.

Dry: But as it dries down, the Huckleberry, citurs & florals come to fore, merging beautifully into a fruity floral. The green note steps back. Almost as if to say "fooled you - I'm not a green, sharp pungent scent at all - if you're patient, I turn into a real stunner!" And that's just what it did.

In the bottle: Spicy-herbal-rooty in a sharp manner, floral (rose), with tart tangerine and fruity huckleberry. Intriguing.

Wet: More herbal (definitely that fool's parsley), even astringent, but a fair deal of tangerine too. The rose, lemon blossom, and huckleberry are there but fainter.

Dry: The overly strong green-herbal rooty note has faded, and the huckleberry has amped! The tangerine remains strong, and the lemon blossom has emerged further - and it's proper blossom, not fruit. The rose is a bit on the powdery side.

Summary: It develops wonderfully after an hour on my skin, into a gorgeous blend of fruity-tart huckleberry and tangerine, with light lemon blossom and slightly powdery rose. Only a faint rooty-green tinge of the parsley remains, and a hint of an earthy note emerges to ground the blend. Great throw and lasting power.

I love this scent, but I'd be lying if I told you I could identify a single note in it without the aid of the description.

To me it smells like sugared herbs. The scent is unusually consistent from wet to drydown. Not much of a morpher on me, and delicious, just puzzling.

It was love at first sniff for me!!

Glorious; fruity and sweet with a hint of beautiful rose. The tangerine note is definitely on top, with the lemon close behind. It's a sweet lemon note, not sour, if that makes any sense. It reminds me a bit of an orange starburst, or a Now and Later candy. This is sooo ultra girly, fun, flirty, and yummy.

My perfect summer scent, I adore this!!

Hmm, parsley on the wand.

Wet: Parsley and tangerine. Sweet but with a bitter undertone.

Dry down: Sweetness from tangerine and lemon blossom are more prevalent but the bitterness is still there.

Ends up as a sweet scent when the rose kicks in. However it is very very faint and because each note tends to come one at a time I never really get a full impression.