Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Burnished gold and oiled bronze notes with Abramelin incense and sage.

I actually like this perfume. I really enjoy sage in any form but I hoped for something more. I really hoped it would be like the gold note in El Dorado but it's nothing like it. I can't even smell anything particularly metallic in it. It's just bright, herbal sage with some generic incense underneath. Also the throw is not impressive at all. I can't really smell it unless I spin around or sniff my wrist.
Ugh, I haven't had any luck with the Steamworks fragrances. They're gorgeous but seem to have an accelerated life cycle. I put them on, they morph, fade away and disappear. All within an hour :/.

Mine's an aged imp that dates from pretty close to the original release - so around 4 years. It's slightly less citrusy than it was when fresh, from memory, but otherwise it hasn't changed much with aging.

Like all the Steamworks scents I've tried, Phoenix Steamworks is an interesting, well-blended scent.

Freshly applied, it's sharp, brassy, with strong sage, and something like citron. I definitely get the warm metal and steam feel that others have described.

Late drydown, there's something that reminds me very strongly of Saint-Germain and The Bow and Crown of Conquest. There's sage in Bow and Crown, but it's something else too - I think it's a type of moss and/or amber that appears in a lot of BPAL's old-fashioned-masculine-cologne scents. I almost want to say lavender, but I don't get any lavender from the opening, so that can't be it. It's quite sweet and soft at this stage. I don't get much incense.

This scent family is not for me, so I'll pass this on, but it's one to try if you're looking for traditional-masculine type BPAL and enjoy the cologney blends.

I've been really impressed with the Steamworks line as a whole, but this is my least favorite of the ones I've tried, after No. 93 Engine, The Antikythera Mechanism, Galvanic Goggles and Aelopile (all of which I'd highly recommend).

In the Imp (ITI): It smells like machine oil and metal with middle tones of thick, heady incense.

Wet: Strong oily metal, but the metal smells like bronze. The sage pops up and invites the incense to play, but it seems shy on my skin.

Dry: Now that it is dry, it reminds me of men's cologne. It smells like metal with sage and a touch of dark incense.

SAGE sage sage sage XD

This is very crisp and clean. It's beautiful. It reminds me of fresh tree sap almost and climbing fir trees. This is definitely a unisex scent. It's feminine from the incense and gold and bronze notes-- I get verbena and some rich amber or maybe benzoin. Those are usually common bases for scents such as these. There may even be some neroli in here because I swear I smell creamscicles under the piney metallic sage. I'm loving this-- so glad I bought some. I was a bit afraid of it for the lack of actual note descriptions and the sage, but it's really fantastic.

In the bottle: Fresh, clean, sage.

On my skin: Window cleaner? It's fresh and piney and it reminds me of something I would use to clean the windows. I like the crisp clean feeling I get from it, even so. I can faintly tell the incense after a couple of minutes. About a quarter later I get sweet raspberries. What is it with most green scents turning into berries on me? There is also something else under the berries, but it is too faint to tell.

Drydown: Sweet, juicy, bright red raspberries with a very faint hint of something else. I like raspberries but I don't like having every other green scent turning to raspberries on me; it's getting a bit tiring. :(

Lighter than I expected. I was thinking of Philosopher in Meditation when I tried this, which has a very purple, richly fruity scent, but then I remembered that was from the Kyphi and not the Abramelin. Abramelin is like an incense made of resinous air. Like galbanum + balsam, so slightly green and very fresh. Almost to the point of being cleaning solution/air freshener in a blend that's already metallic and ozone-y like this.

It's bright, crisp, very much gleaming. Not in a citrus way. Delicately cool and refreshing. I want to love it because resins and metal are fabulous, but I feel like this is Robotic Scarab with less warmth, comfort and friendliness. It doesn't last long either, so I think I'll have to pass. For those that enjoy pure, wispy ozone, this is for you.

In the bottle: incense, smoke, oil. Acid - slightly orangey - no, wait, that's the sage. Burnished metal, forsooth. Wow, this is DELICIOUS.

Wet: initially, the sage gives it quite a sharp edge. I assume it's the sage?

Dry: metal comes out quite rapidly. Is there vanilla or tonka or something in this? Because there's quite a strong vanilla-y base note that comes out to support things after about ten minutes, with the oil and incense on top, and just a whisper of sage and a few sharp edges of metal. It's very, very golden - amber, presumably? Even better on the skin than in the bottle (though I'm a little sad that the initial smell of well-oiled machinery disappears so fast on me!) - but, yes, mmm. Everything running smoothly and quietly and wonderfully.

I don't know what Beth does to bottle magic like this, but holy cow is this a stunner.

There is something green and almost floral about this tempered by what I can only assume is the incense and gold notes. It really is hard to pin down.

It does have a very strong throw. I used one drop and it was plenty.

LOVE!

It's fragrant honey and incense and some spices i can't discern. wub2.gif

I never paid much attention to Phoenix Steamworks oils, but this one is just WOW!

Got this Frimp with my first lab order.

Imp: VERY sweet with a hint of Rose? in the background.

Wet: Still very sweet with the hint of rose but now I'm getting some incense and a warm feeling. I don't know about a metal feeling yet? No sage.

Dry: It's drying nicely, mellowing and becoming softer. Perhaps it's the sage? Very pretty! I may be ordering a full bottle of this if it continues to smell this nice. :yum:

Throw: Medium

In the bottle or freshly applied, it's beautiful- all sunlit metal with occasional glimpses of incense. It also goes really, really well with honey.

Sadly, the more it dries, the more it shifts into something that reminds me of my dad's deodorant. If you have skin that can hang on to all the wonderful notes instead of going Old Spice, though, this is really good.

I don't want to say what this smells like on me. I'll just say that I expected to love this scent based on the listed notes, but something about it smells acrid and bitter and toxic on me. :(

This is such an unusual scent. The smell of metal, especially in first 20 minutes evident. Then it goes a pretty light floral on me. I cannot smell the sage. Easy to wear.

I got frimped this in a trade that came today, and it wasn't even on my radar. But I saw it and couldn't remember trying it before so I put some on.

MMMmmmmm! Incense incense incense! *huffs self* It reminds me of the way shirts smell when they come from the trading post, and also a little of a Lush store, but less fruity. I wish I had discovered this before I placed my recent lunacy order, because now I have to have a bottle of this. It's kind of effervescent.

Phoenix Steamworks imp

Wet/Bottle - Metallic and sharp. LOTS of sage, but it's fairly airy and light.

Wet/Skin (5 minutes) - The sage is getting sharper and more chemically, almost soapy.

Dry/Skin (30 minutes) - This is dollar store soap.

Phoenix Steamworks is a fragrance that has been on my list of favorites for a while, but it's been a while since I sat down and had the whole "scent experience," so I thought it was high time I wrote a review!

Imp - wonderful, clean, cool sage. Light and lovely

Wet - This begins to morph on my skin quickly. There's a slight metallic tang at the front of my teeth and a warm sweetness that has a vanillic quality. The incense comes forward a bit, but I would at no point call this an incense blend. It's just there adding complexity. It's not smoky. The sage is still present and takes on an almost citrusy sharpness.

Dry - P.S. cools down again and smooths out, and I'm left for about 6 hours with a bright sage with a slightly salty metallic tang and a honey like sweetness. It has a wonderful clean b/slightly sticky quality to my nose, like coitus after a hot shower. :smilenod:

Yes, I am dirty minded, but that's what this scent makes me think of, and it's just lovely. 5/5 stars

In the imp: It smells like freshly oiled trumpet valves...

Wet on my skin: Yep. Oiled trumpet brass, with a bit of incense.

Dry: I'm a performing classical musician, and I don't think I will ever be able to uncouple this scent from bright, shiny brass instruments freshly lubed up for a performance. This REALLY smells like that, with masculine cologne along for the ride. It's really, really evocative for me, and I think I'll hang onto this for the good scent memory/associations between concert seasons. It's one of the most masculine scents I've tried from BPAL so far, as well, and it would likely be a good go-to for a guy who likes smelling good and dirty, but isn't into musk blends.

Incense and warm metal. This smells attractive (to me). I catch some sage as a top note, but it fades lightning-fast.

Steamworks is low-throw and short-lived on me, but the incense and warm metals draw me in while it lasts. This is a warm, metallic incense skin scent, barely there, and just a little sweet.

I'm a big fan of most of the Phoenix Steamworks line, but somehow I've never tried this one! Got a fresh imp from the lab in my last order.

In imp: Sage, metal, something musky, and something sweet in the backdrop that I assume is the incense.

Wet: Sage, incense, and the bright metal. Actually surprisingly well-blended, this one.

Drying: Oh no! This note combination seems to be turning into soap as it dries. Not sure what it is that's doing it - probably the incense and 'metal' minerality.

Dry: The incense is starting to peep out again, thankfully. The sage has mostly disappeared. Still smells like Irish Spring soap though. :(

Uh oh, this one I get some sweetness and Incense...and diaper?! Not a poopy diaper, a clean one but diaper none the less. I wonder what note/s is making it do that on my skin, the bonze and gold maybe?

either way this one is not for me

0/2 on this series

edit: the diaper impression fades and I'm left with a really pleasent sweet incense , still don't like it enough to put up with the opening but I wouldn't consider it a failure on me anymore...now i'm 0.5/2 with the steam works line

Edited by Spaztic

What on earth, I'm getting that honey/mead note out of everything tonight. To me this is herbs/spices with metal and honey, although I did get a half-second whiff of amber so maybe that's what's weirding it on me? It started out lovely, like spicy plums over metal, but now it's just that same honey/mead note from Honeyed Apple. Plus metal. And I was so sure this would be my steamworks scent.

I had no idea what to expect with this. Certainly not something I've ever sought out on my own, Phoenix Steamworks intrigued me. It was a lab frimp, likely randomly tossed in since it doesn't jive with most of my order, but it was also greatly appreciated. Love new smells!

It's beautiful.

I can see why some people say it is slightly cologne-y, as it smells like a unisex scent in the imp, but it doesn't wear as cologne at all on me. It's light, fresh, and sharp. Brilliant. Dazzling. I can't make out the notes, but whatever they are, I'm digging them in this blend.

More, please.

Mmm... that lovely metal note BPAL does brilliantly, plus something that reminds me a whole lot of what I think was dwarf from the RPG series.

Masculine, cologne-y, ozone-y, harsh clanking metal 'n stone and a lovely sweet insence in there pulling it together.