Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Jamaican rum, almond liquor, orange water, sugar syrup, lime peel, black cherry, vodka, and mint.

Te Po

This is fantastic. At first, I thought the golden-ness of the rum and the warmth and cherryness of the almond liquor was going to be too much for me. Reading through the reviews, I realized it really does smell like cherry cola at first. When that vanishes, the mint, lime, and vodka conspire to smell like gin and tonic, with the simple syrup and black cherry to sweeten it up. Edited by Gin

it the bottle: well, i have this is imp and bottle. In the imp, it smells like almonds and spice, but in the bottle, it's straight cherry coke.

on n' dry: spicy cherry coke!

I really like this scent, and it works great with a layer of snake oil.

now, see, the Lab's rum doesn't work for me. i hate the smell of almonds and i can't stand mint. so that leaves me very afraid of this scent.

remarkably, beneath the bright liquid-tylenol-cherry of the almond, there's a delicious fizzy scent - like The Magi or the base to the Champagne And scents. teh yum! but, then, the cherry overwhelms everything, and the mint makes me feel queasy.

maybe the bartender could mix me up something that's just orange water, lime peel, sugar syrup and vodka? and even the vodka's optional. just a fizzy orange-lime sweet drink, please? or add a touch of nutmeg and i'd have a cola!

I have to bawl about this scent. I wanted it to work, and most of the notes in here that I've worn (and on a regular basis for years, too) work well for my body chemistry. In the bottle, this was an amazing scent, and fizzy is a good word.

However, I got clove. Like grind up the box and use it like snuff ZOMMFG CLOVE!

Great for some people, I'm sure... but clove triggers migranes for me. I really really wanna cry now. I have to swap this away ASAP.

This is some serious cola! People upthread mentioned cola, but I thought "yeah, ok, a bit of cola can be nice". In the decant it smells like cola + almond syrup. On my skin it's "HEY EVERYBODY! Watch me open up a bottle of Mexican Coke & dump it on my arms!!!!" Which isn't a bad thing, just, um, intense. I was just expecting other elements to come out. I like real coke & funky colas, but I really don't drink them. So when I get a craving for cola, Te Po will be waiting for me.

Oh, wait, after it dries there's something familiar.... reminds me a bit of Knucklebones (and The Magi). How odd.

eta: Two hours later it's there. It's no longer thick and syrupy, but sort of a clear fizzy fruity cola + dirt. Knucklebones goes through this stage but then turns sour on me; this, otoh, stays delightful. I may need to hunt down a partial.

Edited by surlygurl

In the imp: Hmm... spicy and fizzy.

Wet: Two words-- Dr. Pepper. :eek: Everyone else in the thread is saying cola, but I'm getting its spicier, more cherry-tinged cousin here. I had a Dr. Pepper-flavored lip gloss when I was little and it smelled exactly like this.

Dry: ...spice potpourri? :confused: Odd, because there's no cinnamon or clove listed in this-- nevertheless, it's started to smell like a craft store around Christmas. There's maybe a little hint remaining of the cherry and whatever that "carbonation" note is, but otherwise, yeah, spice potpourri.

This one confuses me... with all those notes I expected it to be a lot more complex, but somehow that whole interesting combination boiled down to plain old boring cinnamon on my skin. :sad: It's still kind of pleasant, but I don't think I'd spring for more, especially since it's a limited edition.

I ended up with clove too, which really disappointed me. In the imp this smells amazing and was an instant favorite; it's a delicious black cherry with just a hint of chill from mint and a sharp note of alcohol. I knew I'd be seeking out a bottle if it smelled half that good on my skin. Unfortunately, it doesn't. :( Something in this oil amps up on my skin into pure craft store cloves and cinnamon, very very strong. I have NO idea where that could be coming from, but it masks everything else in the oil. To add insult to injury, my wrist where I applied it is also irritated; this is the first time this has ever happened to me with BPAL, so I'm not sure what's having that effect on me, but. :( I'm disappointed. I love this in the imp so much that I'm going to have to figure out something to do with it which doesn't involve it ever being on me!

Ahem: BOOOOOOOOOOZE in the imp, and on my skin, FRUITY BOOOOOZE. yeah. Not quite for me.

Edited by Venneh

Definitely the booziest of the original Atomic Luau Lounge series. I also agree with the cherry cola assessment, although I have no idea how the Lab manages to make something smell fizzy. It's quite spicy, and headache-inducing for me I'm afraid.

In bottle: mostly Jamaican rum and black cherry coming through. It smells a little overpowering at first, but once I put it on it calmed down and let some of the other notes through.

wet: I see what everyone is talking about when they say that it's "fizzy" I really get that. It smells just like a yummy, fruity, girly drink at a Tiki bar should. I still get a lot of the rum and cherry, but now I am also getting hints of the orange water and the almond liquor. Still no sign of the sugar syrup or the vodka. Not really getting the lime peel either.

dry: Now the boozes have kind of faded to the background and the sugar syrup comes out to play! It melds nicely with the remnants of the rum and fruit.

Overall I came to like this scent a lot more after I wore it. Slightly overpowering in the bottle, but actually quite lovely. A perfect scent for the summer.

In Bottle, Spicy sweet nutty fruity yumminess.

Wet, mostly cherry and spices, a little rum.

Dry, Mostly Spices(I think clove) with some orange and a tiny bit of cherry and then rum. Feels more holiday than tropical. But it isn't bad and the wet is so awesome I am thinking about putting this in my hair.

Wet: Blast of coconut and something bubblegum-y that I think is the almond. The cherry and almond are super strong. Ths is such an interesting scent, it makes me want a cocktail with one of those little skewered fruit sticks in it.

On me, it sweetens up pleasantly: sugar syrup, coconut and cherry are fairly dominant. It's not quite as boozy. In fact, i hardly smell any alcohol at all. The tropical scents have mostly dissipated, leaving behind a sweet, fruity combo that reminds me of hard candy. I really love this scent for the summer.

Holy vodka, Batman! How does that even work? Fizzy vodka and mint. With some dry almond floating in the background. During drydown, I really start to amp the mint. It's beginning to smell a lot like Christmas at Yankee Candle on this wrist. Mulberry spice, is that you? Boo, I wanted to smell like some of the things other people noted. Oh well!