Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Jamaican rum, almond liquor, orange water, sugar syrup, lime peel, black cherry, vodka, and mint.

All the fizzy sweet deliciousness of an ice-cold fountain Coca-Cola with a squirts of cherry and lime syrup. I'm getting slight amaretto undertones and a fresh spearmint leaf garnish. So fun, so summery, so festive. I just love being bellied up this Tiki Bar!

I was afraid that I would fall in love with Te Po and that my decant would arrive just in time for me to not order a full bottle, lol. It smells just like fizzy, refreshing Dr. Pepper on my skin at first (and my boy sniffed me and said it smelled just like Dr. Pepper too). Then there's something dark and almost resinous about the way this smells on my skin. I kept thinking that it reminded me a little bit of blends like Voodoo, Doc Buzzard, and Schwarzer Mond for some reason. It takes on a spiced quality in the drydown, but it's a pleasant spice on me, like LUSH's "Christmas Kisses" bubble bar scent. It makes me think of Christmas time.

I was expecting cherry limeade and a light, fruity blend, but this is Dr. Pepper and dark spiciness on me. I love it, and I wish I had ordered a full bottle.

Edited by Tania

All of the notes in this are ones that I like, so in theory - I should really enjoy this blend lol.

When I first put it on, it's like having a giant, rum soaked orange thrown in your face. It is THAT powerful lol. The vodka starts to show up and it starts to turn this blend towards the masculine side with a tiny hint of mint. Despite those two notes (which I consider to be "cold") the blend is very warm and spiced. The orange settles down and what's left is a spiced rum scent with a hint of vodka and mint. I think that this scent sits on the masculine side, and would smell awfully sexy on a man. I wish I was getting the cherry and almond other people are getting, but it seems to be MIA on my skin unfortunately!

This smells like a rum and coke with a dash of cherry and a touch of muddled lime! This is so novel that I can't quit grinning. I do get a slight touch of mint and as time passes this gains an almost spicy warmth with a touch of amaretto. I'm definitely keeping this because it reminds me of all my college days (er, nights and weekends at the bar). A ha ha!

This was very black cherry soda at the beginning. Fairly effervescent. Unfortunately, it smells like burnt almonds and rum now. Sad.

Wet on the wand and straight on the skin: There is a smokey bite to this right off the bat. Fades really fast though into something masculine. Woodsy, very pleasant.

On the dry down: Fades really fast. Very masculine to me.

Fading out: wow, that went fast. Kinda spicy, woodsy - a manly scent.

So, this smells remarkably like Dr. Pepper in the bottle... if somebody added almond liqueur to it. And burnt it. I was SO worried. It really does smell fizzy.

On my skin, though? It's so strange. I love it, though! It has really good lasting power, not a ton of throw.

I totally get the Doc Buzzard comparison... but this is so much better. It smells like cigarette smoke a little bit, but expensive cigarettes. Then it's warm and spicy, a little like Port Royal, and then I smell cotton candy. Seriously. Don't ask me how that got there, because I don't know. It doesn't smell like cotton candy trying to smother me, I just catch hints of it from time to time. The rest of the time, it's a rich, warm, lovely blend that is absolutely gorgeous, and absolutely nothing like I would've expected.

straight sniff from imp is lime, cherry, vodka....yummy

once applied, this is a refreshingly fizzy cocktail!!

booze, mint and fruit with loads of effervescence!! a delicious winner, hands down!!!

In the Bottle

Subtle in the extreme, I'm actually going, "What IS this?" It doesn't smell like anything; there's a faintly warm, sweet smell, but that's it.

On Me

Hello, flavour! Pretty much instantly, I get this sparkly, nifty combination. It's fizzy and delightful, kind of smooth, and reminds me a lot like Blue Fire's less crazy little sister. I'm getting the orange water, and I think gin initally, with a funny little kick... then it morphs and it's the Boozy Almond Show. But not boozy black-tie cocktails almond, boozy cheerfully tropical drunken almonds.

This is really, really cute. I'd wear this out for a night of partying, and am regretting missing out on a bottle.

The life of it isn't hugely long, though-- a few hours in, and it's gone, and I can smell the Sherazade I applied this morning instead. :P

This one is a rather bizarre morpher on me -- it starts out the fizzy delirium that most people describe, very soda poppy (cherry cola, Dr. Pepper, a hint of lime) and boozy with rum, but as it dries it completely transforms into a rather dark incensey smell. A very specific incense to me -- the kind they sometimes burned at weddings at my grandparent's church. This may be the translation that my nose is giving the almond and citrus, but it's very mysterious! It's got a mild-to-medium throw, and pretty decent wear-time. I could wear it to work and not affront anyone, I think.

I don't like the initial blast much, but the drydown makes it worth it. I'll be very curious to wear this one out and see what my friends think, too.

Starts as a fizzy cherry cola. Dries to a nutty note that reminds me of dried root beer or sassafrass. I love this scent!!

In the bottle, this is purge Ginger Ale to me with a hint of lime.

On the skin is where the cherry comes forward and makes this one rockin fizzy drink. The vodka is a bit apparent now and my arm smells like I just poured the most amazing Ginger Ale with vodka and grenadine with a lime twist on me. OM NOM NOM.

This is amazing stuff!

In bottle: fizzy cherry

On skin: watery cola

Half-hour later: drunken almonds! Almonds soaking in rum

In conclusion: this blend was like a boozier Port-au-Prince, almost medicinal with the extra alcohol. Port-au-Prince lasts forever on me, however, and Te Po disappears pretty quickly.

Wow! In the decant: fizzy, sweet, a little on the cherry cough syrup side, but I've had that before from a blend I love (Phantom Calliope) and it doesn't alarm me now.

On my skin: fizzy, sweet, almond-cherry-fruity-spicy -- it's all of these at once, and it's really hard to pin any one scent down for more than a moment. This is a fun and fruity blend -- the kind of thing that seems to lift your mood.

Soon the fruity mellows a little, must be the citrus losing its edge, but there's still a fizziness to it that just makes it FUN.

Verdict: Not something I'd wear all the time, but good for a little pick-me-up and perfect for hot summer days!

Wow, just wow!

I've never had a blend smell so differently on me than the notes listed.

I dont get any of the notes, only spices. I even asked some friends who all concured on my skin, Te Po is pure cinnamon. They said I smelled like Christmas... which I take as a compliment.

I honestly get Glade cinnamon air refreshner, minus the cheap undertone. Its nice, but I wont need a bottle... and more so, this, on me, its a winter scent

Wet: Like someone took a limeade and splashed in some rum, cherry and almond -- though the later two are sometimes indistinguishable.

First on: Sugary almonds and black cherry predominantly. A little hint of mint and citrusy booze.

Dry: I think the almond has taken on an almost incense quality to it, but it's a fiesty sort of scent. I think that's the mint and citrus. It's a surprising drydown; I would have expected something fruitier and boozy, but this is actually a really lovely resin-reminiscent smell!

My decant of Te Po was an impulse purchase, to be honest. There are a number of things in it that have a tendency to go weird on my skin.. vodka, mint, and yes, sadly, yes, rum itself. So I didn't have high hopes for it at all, especially after my crushing defeats with Blue Fire and Golden Wave.

But fortunately for me, Te Po doesn't smell like what I expected at all. It's somewhere between Cherry Coke and Dr. Pepper on me. It's all sweet and delicious and bubbly smelling. If there's mint in here, it's staying very low, which is just fine, because Te Po rules. More lime would have been nice, but seriously, this is an awesome scent as is. Little sad that I didn't get a bottle of it.

When I started to read the reviews describing Te Po as cola, I knew I had to get my hands on it. Someone once gave me a Chaos Theory sample that approximates cherry cola when wet, and I love it dearly. What I didn't expect was to love Te Po so much more.

In the Bottle: almond syrup and cherry, reminds me of Perpetuum Bonum a little bit but without the waxy fragrance. The fizziness is there, strong fizziness. Also brings to mind those little cola flavored candies shaped like pop bottle caps that I used to get a lot of on Halloween. Mmmm. I didn't know that fizzy was a fragrance. I almost expect to hear carbonation coming from the bottle.

Wet: Almond makes the first appearance, the the spices amp and I am reminded strongly of the time my husband tried to make cola using carbonated water and flavorings. The recipe for cola flavor is basically lime juice, orange oil, cassia oil, and lemon oil, if I am remembering correctly. I'm not saying that those are all here, but the combos smell similar and they both make a good approximation of the cola flavor most americans are used to. There's cherry of course, and a little something extra that makes things all the more interesting, but mostly this is cola to me.

Drydown: For a good while Te Po continues to waft spicy cola. I am reminded of Screeching Parrot, so they must share some notes. The throw is pretty good, however this one doesn't last a super long time on my skin. I can tell this one is going to be living in my scent locket for a very long time!

Te Po is now one of my favorite LE fragrances of all time! :P

In vial: mostly almond, some lime.

Wet on skin: Almond, rum and lime - sweet and lovely!

Dry on skin: Rum, lime and sugar, with perhaps a hint of cherry. It's a little smoky around the edges and the almond liquor is almost buttery. It's a sweeter, fruitier version of Mr Nancy, without the tobacco and cookies. I love this, but it's a little too unconventional for me to wear! It fades fairly quickly into sweet, buttery rum with a wisp of smoke and a hint of lime peel, then ends up as dry rum, cloves and cinnamon that lingers close to the skin for hours. I wish the top notes lasted longer.

TE PO

In Bottle: Almond lime

On Skin: I smell the cherry tone of the almond right away and combined with the actual black cherry, this scent has a very “cherry” feel. But the tart citrus lime cuts through it and keeps it from being sickly sweet. The orange water is light, just as I thought it would be. The rum is more dominant than the vodka, I think because the sugar syrup softens the harshness vodka can have. But as the scent develops it becomes more and more boozy on me. Soon the vodka wins out over the rum and combined with the mint makes for quite a sharp note. Overall, this scent is a fruity boozey scent with some spice thrown in. Not too sure where the spice is coming from… maybe it’s Jamaican “Spiced” rum? But yeah, a spice note is in there for sure. Average throw and long wearlength on me.

ALMOND! GAH! DO NOT WANT!!

ahem.

BPAL almond just will not play nice on my skin. at all, at all.

In the bottle – Overly sweet, artificial smelling almonds and a kick from the rum

Wet on me –Cherry Cola :P

Dry on me –Cherry Cola, but a posh approximation, with a hint of spice

Overall – It’s not what I expected but I like it a lot

In the bottle, I get sugar syrup, almond liquor, black cherry, and just a hint of mint - so delicious!!

On my skin, it's fruity and sweet - still almond and cherry, a hint of smokiness from the rum, a touch of the sharpness of the mint.

I really like this - it's a much more blended scent when dry. The smokiness of the rum has come way up, but the sweetness of the sugar and the fruitiness, and the citrus brightness and sharpness really balance it out - it all works really well together. Definitely a keeper!

Bottle: To my nose, this is Black Phoenix minus the musk. It definitely has that effervescent cherry cola quality I get from BP. It also smells delicious, like, want to eat delicious. Will definitely be experimenting with my summer cocktails to recreate this in drink form.

Wet: The rum and the almond are tussling for dominance on my skin. This smells carbonated.

Dry: Hells to the yeah! This dries down to a beautiful almondy rum touched with some cherries, a nice booze note that isn't TOO boozy. There is a tiny hint of mint. It all plays really nicely together and smells incredibly gorgeous and summery.

Throw: Incredible.

Overall: I really, really like this. It will definitely get heavy rotation this summer.

This one's really boozey on me. Some lime at first, and then a little bit of almond and some black cherry, but mostly booze. It goes through a fizzy almond stage, which is kind of weird, but it ends up smelling... spicy? Like pepper or something. Wonder where I'm getting that from. It ends up smelling like liquor-soaked cloves. LOL, I have no idea why. I think my skin is pretty much freaking out on this one.