Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Golden rum, apricot liquor, pineapple, pomegranate, ginger, brandy, grapefruit, and pink lime.

This was the Tiki Bar scent that my intuition kept saying "Buy, Buy, Buy" even though while reading the notes my Rational Mind was like "No No No". Glad I listened to her, cause this is a BPAL Booze Lover's dream.

Rum runs all throughout this and it's sweet boozy goodness gets big wet kisses from all the fruit.

Apricot and the various Citrus notes.

Ah, ginger! Just enough to keep this from being a sticky, cloying mess.

LOVE!

lime and ginger are the top notes for me. middle notes seem to be green and fruity booze like in Spiked Punch. Really quite light and fresh and fruity, not at all sweet. refreshing!

I am so glad I bought this one :P It's exactly what I was hoping for, which is FRUITY fruity fruity and fruity. It reminds me of Fire Pig quite a lot. I think the lychee in Fire Pig is quite similar to the grapefruit and pomegranate here. I do get a tiny touch of ginger, but it's not very noticeable on my skin. It's not TOO boozey either, I find it to be way more fruity than boozey. However, the booze notes do warm this up and become more prominent after I've been wearing it a while. I love how tart and bright this scent is, yummy!

I agree with Brianne, it's very tart and bright. On me, this is almost all grapefruit - the tart rind. I get a little bit of the ginger, and maybe the booze is what mellows it after a bit. It goes creamy, but doesn't last long at all for me. I'll definitely try it again, because it's bright and fresh and I love it!!

I love this! It's grapefruit based fruit punch on me all the way. My skin eats it after a few hours but I don't care. I may need another bottle of this.

bottle: strongest is the grapefruit and rum with everything else dancing in the background.

wet: this like a grapefruit fruit punch with tons of booze in it. very happy and bubbly.

dry: this is all sweet, sparkly grapefruit on my skin. love it.

This one started out as sharp, nasty chemical on my skin--sort of a burning rubber smell. After a couple minutes it turned to bubblegum, then sort of settled into a cross between the two--bubblegum over burning rubber. Not terribly pleasant.

About twenty minutes in it has sort of settled to a sort of spicy bubblegum, with the chemical mostly gone. This part isn't bad, but it's certainly not what I expected, and I'm not sure if it's worth the first twenty minutes of nastiness.

I had such high hopes for this scent, but I just don't think it's for me. :P

This is definitely rum and apricot! I don't get much in the way of pineapple, but the grapefruit and lime are there and they give this a bright, fruity, punchy, bubblegummy vibe. Then the ginger kicks in and this becomes feisty! It has a sharp bite to the fruit and a loudness to it. What a fitting name!

You'll like this if you at all dig fruit blends, ginger blends, or Frumious Bandersnatch.

Bottle: Apricot and ginger, rum

Wet: I've never smelled such a realistic apricot! It smells like an apricot that's been soaking with rum and ginger slices.

Drydown: The pink lime and grapefruit come out just a bit, a little bitter and not sweet at all. Very nice

3.5 outta 5

This is uber-juicy apricots that have been soaked in rum and then thrown in a blender with some ice and ginger. I get a twinge of grapefruit as well. Actually the grapefruit adds a really nice tart-ness to the whole thing.

The ginger adds a spiceyness that keeps Screeching Parrot from being too sickeningly sweet for me. It is definitely a tropical drink. Perfect execution of this concept, Beth!

I am trying decants of a few of the Atomic Luau scents in the hopes of finding just one I can wear to our friend's annual Christmas in July Tiki Party. Unless another one jumps up and wows me like this one, I think I may have found the winner on the first try!

Edited by scarletgenesis

*slides up to the Tiki Bar*

*orders a Screeching Parrot*

My decants just arrived, and I want to start with the Parrot mostly for the name! I mean, they all sound boozy and fruity and fun, but this one makes me think of the Disney Tiki Room the most. Whew, this Parrot is double-strength, served up neat! The grapefruit, apricot, and brandy dominate while it's wet--the spiciness reminds me of a wassail, of all things. Then the other fruits start to come out and it becomes more tropical. Very summery and fun! On to the next round of drinks scent...

First impression: pink grapefruit! Juicy!

wet: grapefruit & lime

dry: still citrussy but not extremely tart

faded quickly on my skin.

This is spectacular in my scent locket - stays juicy and citrussy. So yummy it makes me want a drink that tastes like this smells!

:P

Edited by girlygirl

Parrot starts out lime and grapefruit. This is not the grapefruit that pretends to be something else, this is straight up grapefruit and some rum.

Swiftly, the Parrot morphs into spicy grapefruit. How unexpected! It stays this way for about 5 minutes or so. There isn't a lot of throw.

Then flowers emerge. Really pretty mixture of fruit and flowers, still sort of candy-ish. This one does not throw very far. I think a scent locket would help with that. I don't know how to describe these flowers because I don't know them as single notes. They're not soapy or sharp at all, very gentle and feminine. At the end stage I could mistake this for something non-existent by Escada (which is a good thing to me as I loved Escada but gave it up when I found BPAL.) Of course it is actually much better than Escada could do, but that's the nearest thing I can compare it to as I've never encountered a BPAL with this type of mood.

My spreadsheet notes for this one: Weird bitter/sour note upon application fades pretty much immediately, leaving a gorgeous fruity/slightly boozy/slightly spicy scent!

Non-spreadsheet details: Love love *love*. I think the weird note I initially pick up is the grapefruit, and then once it hits my skin, I get this amazing all-of-the-other-fruits combination, with the ginger peeking out every once in a while. I get the booze, too, although it's not the *alcohol*. It's hard to describe. Maybe something like a flambe where the alcohol is gone, but all of the flavors of the brandy and rum are left behind? I don't get any flowers, which is a Very Good Thing, and I do get a bit of the candy-ish thing, which is also a Very Good Thing.

Verdict: I'm going to have to buy at least another bottle of this. Maybe even more, depending on how the rest of the Tiki Testing goes (one down, six to go). I know my coworker will *hate* this, but she believes perfumes should be All Floral All the Time, and that sort of thing gives me screaming headaches. Fruit and booze? That's my style.

(As a side note, for Seattle-area residents, there's a new tiki bar coming our way at Lake Union Cafe on 05 May! Unfortunately, I'm going to be in El Mundo del Raton when it opens.)

My husband was giving me a hard time last night because none of the Tiki blends I'd sampled thusfar had pineapple.

"If it's Hawaiian, there has to be pineapple," he said.

Then I grabbed Screeching Parrot. Out of the bottle, this is pure rum soaked pineapple. At least on me...that seems to be a rare reaction round these parts. The husband swore it was mango and on second deep sniff, I was thinking passion fruit...but my first instinct was right - a rip roaring pineapple melange fruit punch with a touch of spice. This is the ultimate summer party scent. :P

Wet: All that citrus does screech a bit at first, like a not-quite-ripe tangerine - intense, tangy, a bit sour. I'm not getting a booze note at all. And I'm sure the pineapple is in there, but I can't quite separate it. In spite of the initial sharpness, this seems to be a mood lightener for me - probably all that snappy citrus.

Dry down: Not so intense now, and I would swear I'm getting tropical flowers - pikake? It's not listed, but .. oh! It's the ginger! Ginger blossom! DUUU-uuuhh! I was expecting ginger, the condiment! Okay! Wonderful! Fabulous! I love ginger!

Gradually getting sweeter, sort of sugary, and milder, with something creamy playing hide-and seek among the flowers and citrus fruits.

This definitely strikes me as tropical and celebratory. The perfect scent to wear to the luau!

Two hours later: The ginger has gone. Of course. It's a flower scent, and it was on my skin. Almost goes without saying. Now I smell a lot like a pina colada. Mmmmm ... I am walking around smelling like coconut-pineapple-something-or-other with a twist, and I like it.

Screeching Parrot is just plain fun. I'll probably wear it a good bit this summer. It definitely appeals to my somewhat neglected festive side.

OMG. This is just fabulous. If you read the notes in the description, yup, they're all there, but the amazing thing is this smells like it is an actual drink. I think it's pure pineapple and rum, but my daughter thought it was mango-scented.

At any rate, it transports me instantly to the beach. Brava Beth!

In the imp, this is sweet syrup with a splash of grapefruit, but on me this starts and finishes almost as SN Grapefruit. If there's anything else in here, I absolutely can't pick it out on my skin. How strange! I finally had to wash it off after about 2 hours because there was just too much grapefruit all over the place.

I need to try it again sometime, because everyone else's reviews sound so delicious that I'm wondering if my skin chemistry is going wonky, what with the phase of the moon and all.

Not a scent I was expecting to love, curiosity got the best of me. Also I'm physically incapable of not buying things that list ginger and grapefruit in their scent notes.

In the bottle: Fruit cocktail

Wet: Fruity, fruity bubblegum

Drydown: Grapefruit! Grapefruits! Delicious grapefruits!

Maybe I will break down and buy a bottle. This may just be my fun summer scent!

In bottle/imp: Lots of fruit! Pineapple, citrus, and apricot plus warm booze.

Immediately on skin: As soon as this is on my skin the ginger starts screaming. It mixes with the grapefruit and lime to create a very spicy citrus scent. Behind that is boozy apricot which brings down the sharpness a bit.

After a little while: The apricot has really bloomed in this, but it isn’t as sweet as it is in March Hare. This is a lightly boozy apricot scent now with spicy fresh ginger and a bit of lime and grapefruit in the background. This has a nice sweet quality to it, but it’s very well balanced with the ginger and citrus.

Overall Impressions: I took a chance on this one and I’m SO glad I did. I love the spicy apricot citrus scent that this morphs into on my skin. This is sort of like March Hare, but it has a fresher quality to it because of the citrus and isn’t as thick or sweet. Out of all the luau blends, this might be my favorite next to Tiki Queen.

Alcoholic Hawaiian Punch...sort of like a Sex On the Beach shot. After its dried, Alcoholic Hawaiian Punch with ginger. Hey, I like it! :P

In the bottle: Grapefruit, pineapple, lime! Tart and fruity, with lighter hints of ginger, pomegranate and apricot.

Wet: Sweeter, more intensely fruity and less tart-fresh. The booze notes are apparent, but are not too overwhelming. Ginger amped.

Dry: Whoa, spicy ginger and strong, strong fruit and booze. This has amped greatly. The apricot is by far the strongest fruit note and overwhelming others. I can smell a hint of pineapple if I strain, but nothing else.

Summary: Dark booze notes, spicy pungent ginger, super sweet apricot and a hint of pineapple. Strong throw and lasting power. Heady.

Ughhh I had to wash this off. It made me feel queasy. :\

Screeching Parrot-

In Bottle: Huge hit of grapefruit, alcohol, and something plastic-like.

Wet: A grapefruit that seems to tingle coldly off my teeth.

Dry: There is a spicy finish to this that I think is the brandy, and must be the ginger as well though it's not the ginger I'm used to in scent--usually the ginger is foody and palatable like...cookies...or...Halloween. It's different here. I think I could really get to like the dry-down.

Overall: A very interesting dry-down that I like, and could come to really like.

In the Bottle: Tropical fruit.

Wet: Fruity with a booze note.

Drydown: The fruit smells artificial on me, not like real fruit, and I can't pick out the individual fruit notes. I'm not getting any bubblegum out of it either. And to me, this is a much heavier scent than Fire Pig, which was so light and sparkling I cellared it, hoping it would acquire some depth (never did, BTW).

Not a winner for me, but I'll definitely retest it.