Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sirensongsouth

Wanton

WANTON

Feminine sexuality in its rawest form. Palmarosa, red sandalwood, attar of rose, patchouli.

In Bottle: Rose and pickles

On Skin: Red sandalwood sometimes takes on a slight pickley scent on me… here is just the case. It is quite strong and slightly sour… The rose adds to that sourness. The palmarosa has a bit of a bitter edge, similar to geranium. And the patchouli adds a earthy spice in the background. An interesting blend but not really one for me especially since I really dislike rose and patchouli. This is more for someone who loves rose and especially with an earthy woody twist. I don’t really get female sexuality from this either, it seems much more masculine to me. Overall I would call it a woody rose incense blend. Strong throw and long wearlength.

This is the sort of high, sweet floral that I usually tend to despise, but really, it doesn't seem as bad as most of its type. There's a slightly bittersweet element to it that tones it down a little, though it's still a lot more strongly floral than anything I'd wear voluntarily.

Something in it smells a little bit soporific, like a relaxing aromatherapy blend. Looking at the description now, I think palmarosa gets used in that sort of blend. Interestingly, I didn't think rose when I first sniffed this, without having seen the description -- I actually thought it was ylang ylang or something, though it's not as aggressive as ylang ylang usually is.

I don't really get much in the way of sandalwood or patchouli from it, at least at first - though considering how much my skin tends to amp florals, that's not really surprising. As with Rakhasa and other similar scents, the non-floral notes do eventually make themselves known after a couple of hours, at which point it's actually quite nice, but I don't really want to have to wait thatlong to enjoy a scent.

Grade: B-

In the vial:

Fresh rose

On me:

The rose in this starts off rather green and very fresh. Like a just cut rose stem. The sandalwood and patchouli offers a warm woody quality to this that somehow really compliments the rose in a way I would not have imagined. This becomes somewhat incense like (if any of you have ever tried Felmaledictions Rose incense, it's like that but warmer and a little sweeter).

These scents meld together beautifully to create a really wonderful aroma.

Final note:

Let me say that I am NOT a rose fan. I dislike rose quite a lot. It makes me think of grandmas and usually gives me headaches. This rose, however, is very nice! It just works well with the woody tones and I'm actually going to keep my imp of this. So even if you don't like rose, you might give this a shot anyways!

I keep getting frimps of things I swore I reviewed...but didn't.

Wanton is one of those. In the imp, this is a lush green floral, and I was intrigued enough to try it on.

Wet: yup, there is rose in this, but its not a bad rose (as most are to me), rather a soft, wet rose, slightly powdery and sweet.

Dry: now I can smell the patchouli, and damn if rose and patchouli don't make a nice mix. Who would have thunk it? :P

I'm a rose-hater, but I find this pleasant enough. the patchouli gives it a nice earthy tone that grounds it, as does the sandalwood.

Don't think I'd wear it much, but it's not bad!

Wet: mmmm...a nice warm woody rose. Not at all the fake rose perfume scent.

As it dries the sandalwood and patchouli start to make an appearance, but not overwhelming.

This is actually a very nice blend. I like that it doesn't end up smelling old lady or too powdery/soapy.

Very happy I got the imp, but will have to try it a few more times before deciding on a bottle.

ETA: Well, after a while of wearing this, I guess I was wrong. Dh said it smells like his grandmother. Definately will not be keeping. :P

Edited by Femme_Fatale

While I'm no rose-hater, I think I tend to want my rose accompanied by some friends to spread the love.

Wanton is far, far too rose-y for me. It smells so heady that I get the twinges of a headache almost immediately upon application; the other notes make this more perfumey than garden-fresh to my nose.

It's probably beautiful on the right person, and I would love to smell this on a friend... but not on me.

in the vial: y halo ther red sandalwood. This does not bode well.

Wet: Pickles? Pickles? Yep. Dill pickles. Female sexuality is a brined cucumber?

Drydown: The sour pickley smell, which I'm not sure if I should blame the red sandalwood or the palmarosa for, recedes a little bit, and apparently attar of rose, as opposed to plain ol' straight-up rose, I can wear without it going screaming like some of the other rose blends do. That said, I don't see wearing this, the undertone is still kind of unpleasant, even though the rose component is pleasantly sweet and non-air-freshener-y.

Final assay: not for me, but may be willing to try other attar-of-rose blends, which I may not have otherwise. If red sandalwood and palmarosa play nice on you, definitely check this one out.

Thanks to the Lab for the frimp. :P

Imp: The attar of rose is most prevalent, very sensual.

Skin: The sandalwood lends a lovely base, although this gets very strong on me, and I don't really sense the patchouli. It's not my favorite of Beth's roses, but it's another example of how wonderful and true they are.

Drydown: This has more body when dry, a really deep complex rose. It's too much for me, but I can appreciate how well-crafted it is, and it lasts quite a long time as well.

So I just start on a rose quest, and this falls into my lap. Score. :D

In the imp: This yells "I am rose!" There's a bit of other stuff, but mostly just red roses, in profusion.

Wet: Red sandalwood is always a friend of mine, and here, it's no exception. This is like hot sex on a bed of rose petals. Yum! :D

Dry: The rose turns sweeter, which is nice, and the sandalwood is still there, with the rose, just hanging out, being absolutely sexy. The patchouli's at the base, not being overt, just sort of comfy at the base of things, not feeling the need to make a scene.

Final verdict: I was looking for a nice, sexy, femmey rose. The only other rose blend I've been keen on was Zombi, but that's sort of quiet and modest. This is exactly what I was looking for. *squee* :P

Most of the notes in Wanton are calssified in my mind as: AVOID!!! but today I was picking through my imp collection and landed on Wanton, so I tried it anyway. There is a bit of an off-note on first application, but when the oil begins to dry, it fades away and leaves the rose alone to unfold on my skin. Patchouli and sandalwood tend to take over any blend on my skin, but maybe because this imp is more than a year old, they have mellowed. Rose tends to be a note that my nose just can't "see," so I'm really happy to see it here- maybe this an aging thing or maybe it is just the particular rose note. Whatever the reason, Wanton is a balanced woody-rosy scent that surprises me with how lovely it is. I'm not a rose person, but I have been reaching for rosier oils recently so I will keep this within reach. Thanks to the lab for the frimp!

this is the 'dirty hippie' patchouli that i get from certain bpal blends...i prefer it a bit smoother and less earthy. and again another rose that sours on me--i'm sure that this would be very nice on someone else, but my wonky skin chemistry is having none of it.

bottle: patchouli and a greenish floral

wet: the same

dry: sandalwood now, nicely balances the patchouli and the rose comes out on top

later: we have moved directly to gorgeous, WOW

I love rose. I like patchouli and sandlewood. But I walked around last night with this one on and couldn't figure out why I wasn't loving it. I kept thinking hmmm...well I guess it smells good. But I think I like the idea of the notes so much that I was really trying too hard to make it work on my skin. For the first few minutes when it's wet it does smell lusty and rosey, so I convince myself that I like it every time I try it. But soon after the initial wet stage it gets very soapy and thick. I don't smell any of the sandlewood or patchouli, only a generic soapy floral. I'm going to give my imp to a friend who I know will appreciate it more.

In the bottle: PEZ candy. The Palmarosa maybe?

Wet: sweet, but sultry. Not PEZ anymore thank goodness. I likes me the PEZ, but I don't want to smell like it. :P

Dry down: sexy sultry floral. This isn't your grandmother's floral. Now if it just stays this way, I could wear this quite well.

30 minutes: sweet and sultry, a little more sweet than it was. If it gets much sweeter it will go back to PEZ. :D

Conclusion: This is very nice. Walks a little close to the PEZ candy side. I will definitely keep my imp and see if I need a big bottle. I really like it.

Rating 1-5: 3.5-4.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked Wanton--usually anything rosey is a no-go for me. However, the sandalwood and patchouli both bring out the warmth of the rose without making it cloying. The mood this perfume invokes is more sensual than outright sexy. It's a very inviting smell; I can't stop sniffing my wrist!

4.5/5

In the bottle – Green roses and muddy patchouli

Wet on me – On one hand soft and powdery and on the other sharp and green

Dry on me – Lush green roses

Overall – Roses really aren’t my thing, but if I had to wear them this would be how I would do it

In the imp: Rose and patchouli

On Skin: Very warm musk, patchouli and the hints of rose

On Drydown: Musky patchouli and rose.

Verdict: Pretty, if you like patchouli and rose. Very warm and seductive.

I don't know why, but Wanton wet smells an awful lot like R'lyeh, which I definitely don't like. But just as Wanton was starting to smell more distinctive, it also started to burn, so I had to wash it off. I'll pass this on to someone else.

In the imp: perfume-y with a backing scent of pine, and a hint of a flower I can’t place.

On the wrist: sandalwood, mostly. The attar of rose (I cheated and looked it up) floats gently in the background, but I’ve really got to pay attention to notice it. The throw, though, now that I can smell is, is mostly rose, with the sandalwood up close. How odd.

An hour: the sandalwood has mostly faded. The rose remains, but faintly, almost hauntingly.

Two hours: a haunting, ephemeral spicy rose. No throw to speak of, unfortunately. I do like the fact that the patchouli is completely absent.

It's a fairly balanced scent. The rose is lush and rounds out the sandalwood, with the patchouli serving as a light anchor to the blend.

I love Patchouli and Sandalwood. I am not fond of rose. Rose normally gives me headaches and/or makes me smell like Grandmother's Attic. I had be Wanton to give something different a try. (Doncha just loves puns? Or not)

First Application: yumm. I smell the Patchouli & Sandalwood. Uh-oh I smell the rose. A dusty sort of rose smell. I'm thinking this doesn't bode well. Dusty Rose=Grandmas attic, ya know.

After a bit: Patchouli comes through on this, just a hint of rose almost an undertone. I think this is a keeper. Itl lasts about 4 hours or so. Wonderful smell. No attic. No real one identifiable scent. Very well blended. The drydown is just wonderful.

I may have to order this...

Edited by aRaven

I tried this one on at school for the first time (not a good idea), and wasn't amazed by it, but it wasn't terrible either. Very incensey with a hint of something else that I can't quite put my finger on.

I was in the comp lab minding my own business and one of my friends comes over and sniffs my shoulder. When I ask him what the hell he's doing, he says "I smell something. It smells bad -- good -- I don't know."

:P Needless to say, Wanton is definitely not feminine sexuality in its rawest form on me.

imp: very strong rose. i can catch a hint of sandalwood but it's faint.

wet: the rose is being dragged down into something far more tame, the patchouli and sandalwood meld into a most enticing scent. this is way better than i though it was going to be!

dry: very sweet sandalwood and patchouli with a vague floral. this smells wonderful and lasts for a while one me.

When I first smelled the imp I didn't particularly like this scent because I found it too heavy, however I have a sensitive nose so I always wear a scent anyways because I like to smell it diluted. I'm glad I did that with this scent.

This scent has staying power! It's the first scent that I tried that lasted 14 or so hours at least, though I didn't smell yself before I took a shower the next morning, so could be longer. It didn't morph much after the first 10 minutes or so, which is something I like. It smells musky on me, but in a way that blends in with my own scent so it's very pleasurable.

I had no idea patchouli was in it until I read the description so if it normally turns you off as a note I wouldn't avoid Wanton yet.

I really liked this. Not enough to buy a bottle, because it is not an everyday scent, but it will be nice to wear out on a sexy, flirty date.

This is definitely rose and something else in the imp. It's a creamier, redder rose, which is the type of rose I like the best. However, that's also (naturally) the type of rose note that tends to both be light and to "take other notes with it" in a blend, and that seems to be happening here. There's a "deepness" here that I generally associate with a small amount of patchouli in a blend, but I don't pick up on the sandalwood at all. This is a fairly straightforward red-plum rose on my skin.