Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sirensongsouth

Wanton

Feminine sexuality in its rawest form. Palmarosa, red sandalwood, attar of rose, patchouli.

First Impression: Patchouli and some type of wood.

Dries down to: Hints of rose emerge from the heart of the wood. After a couple of hours, only the sandalwood remains.

Additional Comments: I like that the rose is sedate and I like this patchouli and I think it's the red sandalwood that makes this one work. While not a fave, it's nice enough that I'll keep the imp.

Lasted: Overnight.

Rating: 3 out of 5

roses and incense. the dry, spicy sandalwood is a nice complement and keeps the roses from stealing the show. a good, womanly floral blend. i like it, but i don’t love it because i can't smell the patchouli.

I'm not usually a fan of rose scents, but I like this. It's not overpoweringly rosy. It's a sweet rose. I didn't get any patchouli or sandalwood at first, but then I put on another swipe over the first one, and now I am smelling some. I like it better this way, actually.

This does smell quite feminine, but also it's unusual. I think I'm going to try wearing this for a day and see how it goes.

ETA: Hmm. After about and hour it's all rose. Guess this one is for swaps after all.

Edited by filigree_shadow

sraight sniff from imp is a woodsy rose scent...upon application this warms up a bit but is really all about the roses...i get the teensiest smidge of a patchouli note after 15 minutes or so but it fades quickly...has an "old fashioned" type aroma to me...interesting but not my cup of tea....

This is lovely in the bottle: a rosy sandalwood blend with a brush of deeper incense. It is both sweet and subtle.

On, it achieves a sort of feminine grandeur that is very sexy without being either bubblegummy or slutty. I have never smelled palmarosa, but it's a fragrant grass supposedly similar to lemongrass and vetiver. I'm guessing that's the topnote I'm getting here that is tangy and a bit sour, keeping the rose and sandalwood from being too sweet. The patchouli in here is sitting way at the bottom.

This is more sedate, dry, and a little less loudly rosy than I expected. I like it very much, but it is terribly sweet. Not in a foody, sugary way, but in a floral, cloying kind of way that is the result of the rose and sandalwood, I think.

Reminds me a little of Spellbound and Blood Rose. Very nice, very womanly, and richly sexy without being naughty. Satin, and not velvet. Ripe.

This scent has moderate throw and moderate wear on me, and will need careful and sparing reapplication to keep it fresh. A good rose and incense blend.

bottle:

I can smell a bit of palmerosa (which I love) but too much patchouli/muskiness

wet:

the rose and palmerosa make a slight appearance now… not musky anymore.

dry:

another one that morphs between notes a lot - much less patchouli though.

overall:

I can't make up my mind about this one! One moment I like it…. The next I'm not sure!

rating: 6/10

Origin: Imp pack from Christmas, many moons ago.

In the imp: This smells kinda promising. It's vaguely golden, in a twisted way, with something resiny or woody and something kinda floral, and something almost velvety tying the other notes together.

Wet, on skin: Just like in the imp... For a little while.

Drydown: This is where I begin to suspect that Wanton wasn't such a good idea. The attar of rose turns to soap, the palmarosa becomes sickly-sweet, and the patchouli turns somehow rotting. I was about to say I smelled like an old lady, but sometimes they smell really dignified and pretty nice. I smell more like a horrible old harridan, the kind that sloshes herself with nasty old perfume from a heavy glass bottle and then goes to make a list of ways to make her daughter-in-law cry using only an outdated copy of House Beautiful and a Roget's Thesaurus.

In sum: I will probably hand this off to one of my several girly friends who get along with florals. I am working on recruiting a few of them.

Imp: Bright sweetness (I looked up palmarosa and found that it's often compared to geranium oil, which is a fairly good description of what I get in the imp).

Wet: Rose, but not the high sweetness of tea rose. A bit earthier - not much, but not girly at all.

Drydown: Sandalwood blending in underneath. Throws a bit but not as much as I'd expect.

1 hour: Rose/sandalwood, blended well and almost intoxicating - I'm sniffing my wrists every couple of minutes.

3 hours: Same as before, but much closer to the skin.

8 hours: Still traces on my wrists, mostly sandalwood but with a slightest whiff of rose.

Verdict: Unexpectedly, keeper. Just as Carnal wasn't carnal on me, Wanton's not nearly as slutty as I feared (I despise patchouli and am delighted that it didn't show up or that, if it did, it was so blended with the sandalwood all I got from it was heat). Womanly and sensual, Wanton's willing to take her time. For someone slightly more gypsy than me, this would actually work as a day scent, but for me? Bedtime or dates. Definitely not work.

In the Bottle: Sandalwood and sweet floral.

On Application: Oof, patchouli that's so strong it's making my eyes water. I'm also getting a hint of something that reminds me of jasmine. After a few minutes, it's really calmed down a lot. I smell an incensy rose, and something a little more bright than rose. What a morpher! A couple minutes later, I smell a citrusy-woody note. I want the rose back!

On Drydown: Hmmm, strange. This one can't decide how it wants to settle on me. Just when I think the rose is back, it disappears behind this citrusy note. Then it comes back. I'm going to give it another 15-20 minutes and see what happens. 15 minutes later -- the deep rose never came back. The little bit of rose I smell now smells like cheap perfume rose. Sigh.

Comments: Florals just seem to not play well on my skin. This is no exception.

Verdict: Swap.

A very light, feminine rose filled scent. The attar of rose is definitely on top, and it's a pink, perfumey, girly rose note. I can smell a bit of the sandalwood, but it's not overwhelming and it sort of fades into the background. The patchouli is hovering underneath it all, barely there but just enough to give it a bit of an earthy kick and to redeem it from being a completely rosey blend. A very nice blend, not a lot of throw or staying power though.

Wanton has some kick-ass amazing throw! Just the tiniest bit leaves a soft, pretty veil of fragrance around me. I am so surprised at how much I like this scent. Perhaps sandalwood and patchouli aren’t as icky on me as I initially thought they were. I keep getting surprised over and over my BPAL sandalwood and patchouli. I’m not sure what palmarosa is or how it contributes to this blend, but something is definitely fresh, green, and herbal – maybe that’s the palmarosa? The rose blends gorgeously with the patch and the sandalwood, rounding them out and lightening them up, although it’s still a heavy scent. It’s definitely not for daytime wear or office wear. This is most definitely a screamingly sexy, nighttime scent. I’m very surprised by this one and how much I like it. Just to be sure – a little goes a very, VERY long way. Overuse it, and everyone around you will smell sex on you. This lasts all night long. Simply stunning. Must have more!

In the bottle: oppressively floral and sweet

Wet: Putting it on calms the sweetness and you end up with a deeper floral scent, the sandalwood and roses are front and center and you get a bit of depth, which i'm guessing is the patchouli.

Drydown: I am sensing each of the scents individually the rose, sandalwood, and patchouli are seeming to alternate with each other. But it's very pleasant, there's a lot of complexity, and I like that. The patchouli is, as with most BPAL scents using it, simply providing depth rather than making me smell like a total hippie (which makes me wonder if i'd like the single note better than what I wear when I *do* wear patchouli).

After a few hours: the scent is powdery sandalwood with the patchouli providing depth to the rose scent. It's maintaining complexity. I would wear this more for evening (I wore it to the office to give me plenty of time to see what it was going to do), as it certainly has that kind of sensability to it.

-Odriana

In the imp: WHOA, sweet floral!!!

On me, it sadly stays the same. No sandalwood, no patchouli. The sweet floral is completely overbearing, and it smells quite generic - like the air freshener we have in our bathroom at home...

I really don't like it, so I'll put it in my swap pile.

I swapped for this one - I wanted to try it even though it has The Dread Patchouli in it.

What do you know, despite the patchouli it's lovely on me. The patchouli is not obtrusive and dirty-hippieish, it and the sandalwood are more like anchors for the sweetness of the rose and palmarosa. This turned out to be a lovely woody "flincense" and I really like it a lot. And it's not obtrusively sexy either. It's alluring, and womanly, but still worksafe.

An unexpected winner!

I get the sandalwood, the rose, and the patchouli. Have no idea what palmarosa is or what it smells like, so I can't comment there. The patchouli is barely there, which is a good thing, because it's such a strong scent. The rose and the sandalwood are equally predominant. It's a pretty clean scent, but kind of soft. Not bad, not great.

Score: 3 out of 5

Wanton-

In Bottle: Floral, but with an amberish spicy note.

Wet: The spice comes out more. This will either work for me or go sour, I can tell.

Dry: It doesn't go sour but there's a heaviness to this that I just can't bear. Off I go to wash it off.

Overall: Not for me.

i got this as a frimp from the lab. at first it smells EXACTLY like a page in a scratch n' sniff book i had as a child-there was one page where there was a bouquet of dark pink flowers, and it smells exactly like those flowers. i wish i could remember what book it was now!

i'm not sure what palmarosa smells like, but i think perhaps that and the sandalwood are dominating. it's a strange sort of sweet floral similar to orchid, with a touch of rose and the sandalwood mixed in. it reminds me quite a bit of another bpal i've tried but i can't remember which one it is. i often like rose scents, but this one doesn't really work for me.

At first, this is all roses and palmarosa on me. After a few minutes, the sandalwood starts to come out and eventually takes over. Now, after ten minutes, it's all sandalwood, with some kind of woody background. It's very sexy. Love it.

Wanton-

In the imp, it's mehhhh...

But on me it smells a-ok. I get a soft sandalwood and palmarosa. It's light and seems to stay close to the skin, and I kinda like that about it.

Definitely keeping the imp.

Scent: Wanton

Bottle: Sweet, sour undertone... Wait... OMG. Cherry cough syrup! EW! Oh man, I really am gonna put this on me, aren't I? *sigh* The inhale is okay, a little sweet, but the back-end of the inhale comes with this cherry cough syrup smell/taste. But I'm trying anyway...

Wet: Damn. Still cough syrup on the back-end. I can't get over it enough to smell anything else. There's maybe something patchouli-ish in here... Argh. Why do I do these things to myself?

After a While: I'm not sure how something can be both sour and floral, but this is - like lilies in a funeral home. Ew. This scent is all just ew.

Before It's Dead: I'm so glad it's dead now... It went through a very brief floral patchouli phase, maybe ten minutes, and then it was done. Quite definitely on the swap pile. Not as bad as Black Annis was, but it still needs to go.

Oh, I'm swooning. This is indeed a very sexual, sensual scent: a flushed, warm, aroused rose.

This was a frimp that I probably wouldn't have tried on my own: I'm not a huge patchouli fan, so I'm pleased to report that it's quiet here, or transformed into a more sated, mellow version of itself. Sandalwood is also calmer than usual in this - both notes seem to be tempering the rose a bit, which I like very much.

Such an elegant, courtesan-worthy scent. Thank you, labbies. I am in love.

Edited by maribouquet

This smells extremely sexy in the imp -- hot and sensual. On me, it tones down and the sandalwood is too woody to really be sexual. It is, however, a beautiful subtle scent. Sandalwood and patchouli are almost always friends, and the rose (which can go unpleasant on my skin) behaves itself. I have no idea what palmarosa smells like, but I'm not detecting any distinct notes I don't recognize, so I assume either my skin ate it or it's something that blends extremely well with one or more of the other notes. I'm not sure how old my swapped imp is, but it has a rather fresh-from-the-Lab look; this may be one that will deepen with age.

In the imp: Sweet, sugary rose.

On wet: Sweet, sweet, *sweet* rose and an almost dirty patchouli - oh, did I mention that this is SWEET?

Drydown: Absolutely. Gorgeous. :P The diabetes-inducing sweetness from moments before has deepened under the grounding influence of the sandalwood and patchouli (not certain what the palmarosa smells like, so no clue where it fits into the equation). It's gone from overpowering sugared rose to this sultry, slinky, exotic, lickable SEX CANDY kind of scent. Excuse me while I continue to swoon...

Overall: Aside from the occasional dab of Rose Red, I don't care for rose scents - or at least that's what I thought. Wanton not only changed my mind, it seduced the anti-rose right outta me and made me her bitch. Big bottle purchase - stat. 4.5/5