Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sirensongsouth

Wanton

Feminine sexuality in its rawest form. Palmarosa, red sandalwood, attar of rose, patchouli.

I'm surprised that I like this.

Wanton smells mostly like sweet rose -- not a sugary rose like in Alice, just sweet. It makes me envision trees in the rain, for some reason. The scent is soft and round, still rosy, but not powdery, and a little spicy. It's somehow watery to me, but not aquatic.

I don't think this is much like most scents that I usually like, but I can't stop smelling it.

I've always stayed away from rose scents because of the Gramma factor. Leave it to Beth to make me rethink my hardline No-Rose stance with this one! This is a rose scent that is really "me".

I love patchouli but it doesn't really come across (on me) in any kind of obvious way in this blend. This is a rosy sandalwood. Or maybe a dusty rose! It's a dirty-sexy kind of scent.

I'm definitely keeping and using up this imp. 5 ml? I think if Vixen wasn't satisfying my dirty-sexy needs so well I'd jump at Wanton.

Update: This has now jumped to a def. 5 ml. purchase.

Edited by Racecar Gibson

the patchouli's hiding from me in this one. all i'm getting is rose and a hint of sandalwood. hmm. jury's still out. i think i'll try it again later because i really wanted this one to work for me.

Wanton - a lab freebie! I love rose, but not patchouli, so we'll see about this.

In the bottle: This one smells entirely of sandalwood to me. That does not bode well.

On me: Sandalwood is the dominant note right as I apply, although an undertone of patchouli is quickly evident. Where's my rose? :P

Drydown: The sandalwood completely took over this blend for me, so I never really got to enjoy this one. Damn you, sandalwood! :D

Well, this one's a swappin'...

This was a generous freebie from BPAL. I'm not a person that is into patchouli. So- from the beginning- this scent was going to be a challenge for me. Unfortunately- the patchouli really came out on my skin. It made me smell like I'd been at a head shop for half an hour. This blend would be great for someone into that particular scent. It's just not for me.

This was mostly rose and dry, slightly spicy sandalwood on me. The rose is somewhat sharp and sour at first, but as it fades, it sweetens. I never did get the patchouli, which is a shame.

For a rose, sandalwood, and patchouli blend, I'll stick with Rakshasa.

wanton

at first: thick, but clean, too. i smell sandalwood and patchouli.

on: this smells like rose soap or bubble bath. that's all. i don't even get a hint of the other notes.

half an hour later: less overtly rosy. nice, but...just nice.

2 hours later: powdery and a bit soapy.

overall: this just isn't for me. off to the swap pile it goes.

In the bottle: Smells like magnolia. It's a sharp, almost faintly citrusy floral. I can smell a little patchouli in the background.

Wearing: Still has that magnolia smell, but it gets sharper and...wow, strong! One little swipe is enough to fill the whole room. For some reason this reminds me of Pride...and pride and I didn't get along very well. Very, very perfumey, and it's giving me a stomach ache.

Later: This...stinks. It's got this really bizarre sour/bitter/otherwise unpleasant smell to it. I wouldn't normally think that bitter would be bad, except it's the florals that smell bitter. There's a bit of sandalwood, but it just seems to clash with the rest of the notes.

Overall: Not my cup of tea, and doesn't work well with my chemistry at all. Will be passing it on, I think.

Bottle (Imp): A touch gritty, somewhat animalistic.

Just On: About the same, but with an undertone of flowers.

An hour or two later: Hmmm, this might be patchouli. Patchouli and a bare bit of flowers.

Around 6 hours: Yeah, some incensy patchouli. I'm liking this one.

12 hours: Patchouli, yummm.

Overall: What a lovely scent this is.

After reading other reviews: I didn't really get the sandalwood on this one, but it worked quite well, and is a keeper.

Drat! I loved the beautiful rose and sandalwood wafting from the imp and when wet, but Wanton dried down on my skin into pure, Ye Olde Head Shoppe style incense. Unfortunately, this is not at all me. I need to accept that patchouli just does NOT work on me, but I can't resist the lab's descriptions...so I keep trying.

Edited by LyndaM

In the bottle: Rose, a hint of patchouli, and some other flower. I don't know what Palmarosa smells like, so maybe that's it.

First on: Ok, this smells like Italian food. Generic Italian food. On a stronger sniff I can smell the rose and patchouli, but the initial impression is that the stoce is on and someone's cooking. Wierd.

Drydown: It's still got that cooking smell to it. How odd! Under that is a rose patchouli blend I'd really like if I didn't smell like seasonings.

While wet I smell floral wood. It's a bit perfumey. When it dries my skin really amps up the rose and I can't smell anything else. It is very pretty and feminine. I never really got any patchouli from it.

The palmarosa is VERY sharp and strong in this blend, and that's what turns me off to Wanton, although I really like the soft bed of red sandalwood beneath. If the notes in this blend were less intense, I think I would actually really enjoy it.

Imp: Crisp, clean, rose. A bright rose--white? Its also green/fresh.

On: Rose. All rose. Now, this rose stays true--it does not go powdery or soapy like most rose blends. It's very pretty, just not me. My skin notoriously amps strong florals.

Overall: Lovely feminine blend, and the throw and staying power are way up there. This is not something I'd wear, but it’s a great rose scent for those who like rose. I'll be sending this imp to my swaps page for someone else to play with.

Edited to add: Several hours later, this has morphed into something puzzling. Its good. Its sweet. ALmost berry sweet, but still with the rose in there. How surprising. I love when bpal throws me surprises. This is good, and I actually like it at this stage. I just don't like the overpowering rose at the beginning.

Edited by jewelbug

I already have so many rose fragrances that I love (Alice, Kurukulla, Marie, Whip, The Haunted Palace, and so on), so I figured that I wouldn't really like Wanton. I figured that I already had so many versions of rose, I wouldn't need another one. Color me mistaken.

Rose is often biting and sharp on me, but the rose in Wanton is smooth and slinky. A creeping, seductive rose. It hides under a woodsy blanket of red sandalwood and the entire blend is just... lovely.

I don't ever smell any patchouli of this, but it is a perfect marriage of rose and sandalwood. Yet another blend that I will be needing a bottle of :P

I adore sandalwood and patchouli, so I had high hopes. I do smell the delicious aroma of both, but with a bit nagging plague of roses on top. I am truly going back and forth between "beautiful and sweet" and "argh, roses".

Maybe it's too early for wanton sexuality.

Oh dear.... the rose is just lingering around over the delicious musks.

:P

I'm waiting for something to change here, but it's been a while. Alas!

When I sniffed this in the imp I was thinking along the same lines as Quinkel... that this was a lot like Spellbound and, while Spellbound is one of my very favorites, I wasn't sure I needed another "different rose" perfume.

When I swiped it on my first thought was "Aack! This is strong!" but it didn't take long to calm down. This is so well-blended that no one note stood out to me for very long. After I'd been wearing it for about an hour I crawled into bed with DH for some snuggle time and our conversation went something like this:

Him: Mmm... you smell so good... what is that?

Me: One of my new BPALs... Wanton.

Him: *Snuffle* It smells like... like.... *snuffle*... *moan*

Me: Hee hee... that's what it's supposed to smell like!

Needless to say, I'll be needing a bigger bottle! :P

A freebie from the Lab! Everything with rose is worth at least a try.

This one is really interesting. As luck would have it, my skin amps the sandalwood and patchouli, with just a touch of rosewood (which is not the same as rose)--it smells exactly liked a piece of carved wood furniture from an exotic country, shined to a polish, in an antique store. I know, "carved" isn't a smell, but that image appeared immediately in my head and will not be dismissed. I think "antique" came to mind because it seems a little...dusty? A little dim, if that makes any sense. The faint breath of rose makes me think of a long-faded sachet in a wardrobe from some beautiful long-dead woman's boudoir. So my overall image is that, in an old shop of imported antiques, I've found a big, heavy, elaborately carved armoir that once belonged to a glamorous courtesan.

So...Wanton is much more evocative than I expected; usually I don't go off into short-story-land with my reviews but this one just begs for it! I don't know if I would wear it often, though, so it may be a swapper.

Origin: gimp.

In the imp: Very light floral with some woods underneath. I am already thinking that this is not going to work, but I have been snookered by my nose before.

On me (wet): NOOOOOO! This immediately goes ROSE on me. Not in a good way, either. This is not just rose, this is Rose Nylund from the Golden Girls, on me. I really am beginning to hate my chemistry because I love the scent of roses, but I have only ever found ONE fragrance which featured them which I loved. Anyway...yes, my chemistry makes this one go "Sweet Old Ladyish" on me.

Dry: Now, this is quite the turnaround. This went from Rose Nylund to sexy bitch in about an hour. This smells just like a rose incense I used to burn back in my heady college days to not only hide the smell of pot, but also to seduce the boys into buying me more. This is hot, sexy and...dare I say...wanton.

Overall, I don't think I can get past the initial phase. I am afraid this one may make its way into the swaps and find a home with someone who will appreciate it more than I do. :P

ETA, my grammar is shit.

Edited by judas_kiss

This was a frimp in my last order. I'm getting mostly sandalwood with a little patchouli. Thankfully, the rose stays in the background. This doesn't really jump out at me. It smells like a lot of the other bPAL blends with sandalwood and patchouli

When it dries, it does have its own identity, which is woody with a slight tinge of rose

Red sandalwood is one of my favorite notes and all the others in this blend are ones I love as well, so I was completely bummed when it went wonky on my skin. In the bottle, it was sassy burgundy rose with woody and incense notes swirling around--but for no reason I can figure, the rose nearly vanished on me behind a woody almost-lemon scent. I could smell a little patchouli, a whiff of sandalwood, and if I tried, the rose was still there but only just barely. I've usually encountered palmarosa in incense, so maybe it just reacts terribly with my skin. I may keep this for candles or an oil burner--the scent in the bottle is, as others have said, a fantastic jangling grown-up rose that I just love.

Red sandalwood is a little raw for me. Rose attar always smells like a violation of delicate roses. This scent is thick, red and disturbing. I generally do not feel sexy in roses~save it for spellwork.

This is a nice earthy rose. Wanton is predominately rose and patchouli on me, a good thing because I don't like sandalwood much. But there's something sharp to this blend that turns me off. I don't know what palmarosa is, so that could be it.

Other than that sharp note, I really like this. This would be a good blend for people who don't like the traditional feminine rose perfumes. This is an incensey, spicy rose.

Wanton really does smell like female power and sexuality from another era. I smell like a Suffragette. I'm able to detect the rose (love rose, and it's glorious here), sandalwood, and patchouli (barely) and I guess the sharp note I'm catching must be the palmarosa. I wish I got more patchouli from this, but it's still very evocative and mellow.

I don't think this is a blend I'll need a bottle of, but the rose is flipping some happy switch in my brain so I'll definitely be keeping my imp. I just love rose, it's like an affliction.

I didn't think I'd like this upon first sniff, but it is drying down nicely on me. I can't really identify individual notes with this one - it smells of roses and something drier and darker to me. This is a strong, heady, powerful scent that definitely screams SEX SEX SEX to me. Which is good :P

Edited by Scarlettfish