Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sirensongsouth

Wanton

Feminine sexuality in its rawest form. Palmarosa, red sandalwood, attar of rose, patchouli.

In the vial: Rose.

Wet: Soapy rose that's green and slightly bitter.

Drydown: I can't decide. It's a tie between rose soap and rose powder.

Overall: I never seem to do floral heavy scents well, not for me.

Rose ruins everything.

After about 10 mintues this turned into a sharp, bitter rose that was almost a bit sour smelling. Yuck.

Rating (1-5) - 1

Pretty rose and sandalwood-I really like how this smells in the imp, but rose tends to go funky on my skin. ]: We shall see!

Wow, on my skin this is basically SUP ROSE! Barely anything else. A bit of wood I guess, which I think helps this from going sickly rose sour-the perfect amount of sandalwood really. Just enough to ground the blend without being in your face. On full drydown the wood comes out a lot more balancing the wood and rose about fifty/fifty. This blend was alright-the rose never went weird or sour, which is great, but it just wasn't special or unique enough for me to warrant a bottle. Rose lovers should definitely check this out, especially if you are looking for an earthier kind of rose scent.

Imp: sandalwood and rose

Wet on Me: sandalwood with traces of patchoulie…and rose.

Drying Down: the rose is quickly rushing up and covering every other note.

Dry: Alas…this turn to all rose for me. Rose does not like the Coldie.

In the Vial: Rose. Patchouli. And something is tickling my nose. *twitch*

Wet: Something seems green. But I can still smell the rose and a bit of patchouli. (I figured it out, the 'green' scent is palmarosa, which google tells me is similar to lemon grass.)

Drydown: Sharply green and rosy. I'm not really getting the sandalwood. :( It's all soapy now. Ugh.

Verdict: Not a huge fan of lemon grass or roses. Ugh. Toodles!

Something at first hit my skin sharp and a little stanky, it was offputting...

But quickly this mellowed out into a beautiful soft, yet spicy rose.

I am liking this one a whole lot... strangely, since palmarosa usually doesnt get along with me.

I'm looking forward to trying this one as I like rose scents. In the imp I can smell the rose but also some florals which tend to turn soapy on me. It has potential though. Once on it reminds me slightly of Saturnalia, the greeness I think (I assume this is the palmarosa), but this is more floral/soapy than that. It still has potential though. The drier it gets the soapier it smells. Although from far away I am catching nice whiffs. When dry it just smells of floral soap.

Verdict: If florals turn to soap on your skin then this isn't for you.

Whew, that rose jumped out first! It's pretty, not raw sexuality to me, but a lovely scent nonetheless.

ohmygod. i lovelovelove wanton so much, i cannot possibly sing enough praises for it. it really is feminine sexuality in an oil, all rose and incense; it is the perfect blend for someone like me.

big bottle list for sure. :wub:

I amp rose like nobody's business, so I was a bit skeptical of Wanton.

In the imp it smells very floral, heavy and womanly.

On my skin, O HAI ROSE!!!!!!!!!!

I was hoping to at least get to smell the pachouli in the background, but this blend is all rose, start to finish.

Pretty on someone who gets along with rose, but not for me.

Wanton turned out to be a cousin to Rakshasa in my nose: up close, this is all soapy rose incense (it seems a bit smoother than Rakshasa, from what I remember?). That said, the throw is quite a bit nicer; spicy deep red rose and patchouli. Hint of soapy tang (palmarosa), but not as bad as direct skin sniffing. I'm a bit disappointed, but it's not like I don't already have a handful of rose-incense blends.

Frimp in one of my orders.

This sounded like such a nice scent, but then my skin chemistry had to go and bork it all up. Sigh.

In the vial, I get rosy herbal resins. I don't know what palmarosa smells like, so maybe this is the culprit? Wet, it turns into . . . pickle. Seriously. Pickle brine. Which I don't find off putting when it's in a pickle jar . . . but on me? :ugh: As the drydown begins, it turns into a powdery pickle (?!) and fortunately, the sandalwood and patchouli come out and beat whatever is causing the pickle note into complete and utter submission (apt for this category?). Once dry, I'm left with an incensey rose. It's all right, but it isn't my kind of scent and that pickle note really ruins it for me. I might try testing this again, as it seemed to have such high potential, but in the meantime Wanton is on the no-no list of bottles.

For some reason this smells a lot like Rose Cross to me, only the rose has gone bitter. Rose works on me most of the time but sometimes it ends up kind of bitter, sour and pungent. Smells bad in a similar way to Snooty Rose.

It's a great scent if you like being slapped around by a really artificial smelling rose. It has some body in the beginning with the base notes, but then it is all ROSE!!!! I'm not really into it.

A few hours later it does get better, the rose almost becomes like a rose-violet candy and the rest of the notes come out. But I have a feeling this stage isn't going to last for long...

and...

we...

are...

done...

It's gone. Ok, it was for me for about 5 minutes. It became a scent that reminded me of Victoriana. I wish it would come back!

Edited by Madame Nyx

Frimp in my order.

In the bottle: Herbal and incense-y.

Wet on skin: Cheap rose scented incense.

Dry on skin....well here's what the hubs said, "Are you wearing a new oil?

To which I reply, "Yes, but I don't think I like it."

And he says, "It's smells like cheap gas station incense."

And I did! :lol: Definitely not for me.

This starts out as a pretty floral, kind of surprising considering the name. Kind of reminiscent of Veil, actually. After a bit, the rose amps out of control as it usually does and we're left with a sweet rose and not much else. This is a nice surprise, as rose normally goes sour pickle on me. I like this, but prefer my Unity set for a rose fix.

In the imp: For one bizarre moment, it smells like dill pickles! :eek: Not quite sure what that is, but thankfully, it doesn't last. The palmarosa is very apparent, distinctively sweet and grassy, and the patchouli is right behind it—more dirty patchouli than woody, almost vetiver-like, and the combination gives this a dark, unsettling feel. It's not something I love or find especially sexy, though I can get the dirty angle. I don't smell the red sandalwood at all in the imp, but the rose is here, faint and sweet… kind of manhandled by the palmarosa and patchouli, but we'll see where the testing takes us.

On, wet: Rose is picking up strength and joining with the palmarosa—a little bit more balanced than in the imp. Underneath is the patchouli, grounding it and making the sweet, slightly grassy floral actually rather dark and dirty. Beware this patchouli if you sometimes think it smells like BO; I never get that, but I have to admit that up right next to the skin, huffing this one… yeah, it's sort of funky. Ew.

On, dry: More rose, less patchouli. The palmarosa has lightened up and let the rose take the lead here, and the red sandalwood is slowly warming up and adding a more sexy, slightly spicy quality. The patchouli is still present, but it's less "dirty" and more of a deep grounding note that keeps the sweet rose and palmarosa from getting too cloying. I still think there's something vetiver-ish about the patchouli, though, and I don't care for that at all.

Later: Soft rose and sandalwood, with some sheer palmarosa. The patchouli is very faint now; I occasionally get whiffs of it, but that's all. This is the best balance it's had, not as high and sharp as the palmarosa pushed it in the earlier stages. This is lower and more sensual, though I still hesitate to call it sexy. It's a pleasant enough rose, though—not my fave by far, but not grandma's-dusting-powder-ish, either.

Overall: Not quite what I was expecting from the description, but better than I anticipated from the imp. It's a nice blend, though I prefer it in the later stages, when the sandalwood wakes up and the palmarosa chills out. It never struck me as a blend that made me feel especially sexy—palmarose is too high and thin a note for me to get that vibe—but I can see how it would work for the right person. Your feelings on this scent may depend on how dirty you prefer your patchouli and how much palmarosa you like.

Edited by Bluestocking

If I were to rename Wanton, I would call it Rosey Rose McRose. No sandalwood. No patchouli. Just rose, and so much of it!

In the bottle: A very heavy scent. Not exactly incensey, but very...grown up. And not necessarily in a good way; this actually makes my nose wrinkle. I can't smell any of the rose, sandalwood, or patchouli.

Wet on skin: That same heavy scent - this reminds me of a frimp I got early on in my BPAL "career" - maybe Les Infortunes de Vertu?

As it dries: Oh, good, the rose gets stronger and that weird initial scent recedes.

Dry on skin: All that first weird scent goes away, leaving me with a wonderful, deep, rich rose. No sandalwood, though, sadly.

Final verdict: I love the drydown, but definitely not the wet stage. Therefore I'll keep the imp but a bottle is probably not in my future.

In the imp I smell a lot of sandalwood mixed with rose. However, when I put this on my skin the rose completley overpowers every other note.

This is very heavy, sharp and pungent.

Wash off. Not for me.

I love trying out new rose blends (mixed with other florals-bad, mixed with resins, musks, woods-good) so it was nice to receive this very aged imp in a package. This is an incensy, woody rose. Patchouli is barely noticeable, giving the blend an earthy feel. I think Spellbound won me over as the best musky-resin rose BPAL ever though.

In bottle this is all rose and patchouli, a dangerous mix for me but I shall bravely try it. Wet it is spicy and sweet and not at all what I was expecting. The red sandalwood and something I’m not familiar with, (maybe the palmarose?) are smothering the rose and patchouli. Upon warming up those two notes take to the for, with the sandalwood offering a grounding and smoothing effect to the sharp edges. Overall I get a lot of sandalwood, medium rose, and a light base of patchouli. It’s nice, but not super appealing to me due to the loud rose note.

Thanks, lab!

Wet: the palmarosa is very perfumy and green.. reminds me a bit of some origins products. They use lemongrass or something? This is far less overpowering than Origins though. The red sandalwood is warm, glowing and a nice balancer. Surprisingly enough the attar of rose isn't annoying my nostrils. This is just warm, deep, sweet, floral. There's a breath of patchouli in the background giving it a nice base note.

drydown: overall, its sweet sandalwood, light green notes, buoyant palmarosa, sweet patchouli similar to the mix of Imp or Fae. I like it! More sugary on me than I expected, but then again, its morning-time..my skin always smells like Midnight on the Midway after a good sleep. ;)

:::WANTON:::

Feminine sexuality is a deliciously wonderful thing. A conversation or narration could go on and on for days and never even come close to rubbing against the surface, let alone scratching it. There is a great deal of intrigue in determining just how this is going to be interpreted and communicated via the Lab.

From the Imp: It is very hard to keep the eyes open. Eyelids flutter shut at high shutter-speed. From flickering, candlelit corners comes breathy alto moans and sighs of the libidinous persuasion. A glittery black snake is draped over your shoulders and tickling your hair. There are angel-hair strands of silk tracing, lightly, the contours of the body unclothed. Here there be tremors. Skin shines and the breath comes fast. This is bold, brash, and effervescently drunk. Sticky-sweet kisses and expertly placed hands are in plentitude.

Wanton smells windswept and untamed. This is hunger tangled in damp blushes and laughing flames. While there are obvious floral elements, it is not at all overdone or exaggerated. The combination of Sandalwood and Patchouli are truly remarkable here. Wanton has all the earmarks of exoticism and spiritual power. Wanton smells rich, decadent and luxurious. It smells very, very alive. Wanton is a sanguine marriage of a purr and a roar.

The Flattered Flesh: The Attar of Rose is gorgeous! Wanton is a perfect and fantastic blend! Palmarosa isn’t something familiar, but, from what was found on Google, rationally explains what is going on at the pulse-points… The overall character is still quite floral, but there is a subtle and distinctive grassiness the snakes its way through the other elements and binds then intricately together as though on a loom.

Here is the shameless bewitching of a bare midriff belly-dancing, syrupy slow… a Polynesian skirt slit from hip to toe. This is the harmony of hive and hill under the blazing gaze of a quasar-eyed queen. This is love, lip-service, and death by being tantrically tongue tied (ahem.)

Wanton is all things delicious. Easy 4.5 out of 5.