Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Scanmike

The scents that get you the most compliments?

Antique Lace gets me the most compliments, although I don't wear it that often anymore.

I think it's because non-BPAL people tend to find it easier to like the 'lighter' scents, to start off with at least.

:P

You know, I finally just asked. The beginning of the summer break was nice, because I could wear almost *anything* without worrying about encroaching on others' scent preferences. Then the routine started back up a few weeks ago, and I wondered how my newly discovered scent-obsession would go over in a professional environment. There are only three of us, so we've gotten to know each other somewhat well.

One day I steered the convo toward perfume with one of the women, then pulled out Urd and something else. I had always received compliments on it before this, mind you....she goes "Ugh...so that's it! It smells like...like something I would use to clean my toilet!" She said it with a certain laugh...but still. Though I appreciated her honesty, I was crestfallen :D I'd been wearing it in rotation with a couple of others for awhile, and felt pretty embarrased. My supervisor even smelled it, and without a blink said "Yeah...that's a no-go'. Similar reaction to Black Opal.

I know we aren't supposed to care what others say, blablabla, and that scent should be for yourself. Unfortunately it is kind of a difficult philosophy to live by when you are in closed quarters and no one really has a choice in smelling you. I mean...I would rather know what people who have to be around me do/do not like than become known as *that stinky girl*!

So I say just ask - the truth will set you free :P

One day I steered the convo toward perfume with one of the women, then pulled out Urd and something else. I had always received compliments on it before this, mind you....she goes "Ugh...so that's it! It smells like...like something I would use to clean my toilet!" She said it with a certain laugh...but still. Though I appreciated her honesty, I was crestfallen :P I'd been wearing it in rotation with a couple of others for awhile, and felt pretty embarrased. My supervisor even smelled it, and without a blink said "Yeah...that's a no-go'. Similar reaction to Black Opal.

Grr..this annoys me! I've had this before when people have loved my perfume and complimented plenty on it. Then, when I show them the bottle or they find out it's not 'regular' perfume, they suddenly dislike it. People are dumb! Are we still in school?! I think not!

So far I've had 4 compliments. Mind you, this is with me wearing something different almost every day for 3 months.

Cockaigne-Something smells like French toast. It smells good.

Kumiho-WOW!

Jasmine Cottage-You smell amazing. Reminds me even more than I'm still alone.

Budding Moon-that's awesome

None of these were from my BF. He's not big on giving compliments. Actually, I've never heard him volunteer a compliment to anyone. I have to ask him how he likes what I'm wearing and even then I get "that's nice", "it's ok" and "that's not as immediately yummy as some of the others." Whatever!

Grr..this annoys me! I've had this before when people have loved my perfume and complimented plenty on it. Then, when I show them the bottle or they find out it's not 'regular' perfume, they suddenly dislike it. People are dumb! Are we still in school?! I think not!

I'm not really comfortable volunteering where I get my scents from because I live in such a religiously fundie area. It's immediately going to get branded evil, and me as well, when they hear the name of the company, see the labels, and/or go to the web site. As much as I love the area where I live, the people are pissy sometimes. :P

If I think that the name alone will elicit a negative response, I cover the label when I uncap it. Only AFTER they have told me how divine it smells, do I unleash the name :P

So far Ivanushka and White Rabbit have received the most compliments for me, so the name thing hasn't actually been a problem except with samplers :D

People seem to often enjoy scents I can't stand the smell of on me. Three cases in point: my BFF loves Marshmallow Poof on me, whereas I feel like it makes me into a cloud of sweaty vanilla death stink; my husband loves Torture Queen on me, which smells like my own B.O. in a way that makes me feel sick; and the spouse also loves MB: Closet on me, which I think smells distressingly like cake and cat litter. Whyyy do they all compliment on those ones? It's maddening.

On the other hand, the spouse has complimented a reasonable amount of others. (I actually note it in my spreadsheet. Yes, I'm a nerd.) He likes Prague ("like flowers but not like floral, you know?"), Buggre Alle This Bible ("it smells like rum!"), All Night Long ("it smells like delicious cookies... NOM NOM NOM"), Versailles ("pretty!"), Hex '08 ("you smell like delicious wood smoke"), and Sleepy Moon ("yes, that is a good one!").

Oh. And Dragon Moon '08. A LOT of people approached me about this one when I did theater stuff recently... lots of "delicious incense" comments. I guess I know how to work the dragon's blood.

Hehe unfortunately, yeah..I am...it's a gradute studies program, but still - we're all adults, right? I should add that I didn't even consider not mentioning that it was an oil. I should also mention that the girl with the "toilet cleaner" remark is fiercely competitive with me and rather insecure. I know it isn't *just* the scents. Her response would have been identical no matter what the scent was, I'd wager. :P

Hehe unfortunately, yeah..I am...it's a gradute studies program, but still - we're all adults, right? I should add that I didn't even consider not mentioning that it was an oil. I should also mention that the girl with the "toilet cleaner" remark is fiercely competitive with me and rather insecure. I know it isn't *just* the scents. Her response would have been identical no matter what the scent was, I'd wager. :P

To the woman's defence, Urd is very strong and very earthy and very different from regulat perfume.

To the woman's defence, Urd is very strong and very earthy and very different from regulat perfume.

It just annoys me when I accept everyone else and don't get the same back..I mean at the end of the day it's just a different type of perfume to what everyone else wears isn't it? It doesn't make me a bad person or anything! I don't get it. I was threatened with disciplinary action for wearing Knave of Hearts once. Yeah, I left that job..

^ what?! how does that work??

I usually get the most compliments on Mme. Moriarty and on my Blood/Black Ice layering job.

I usually get the most compliments on Mme. Moriarty and on my Blood/Black Ice layering job.

Because once they (managers etc) found out that my perfume was a perfume oil and a bit gothic, they didn't like it. It was only when they saw the bottle that the complaints started and people started to say it smelt 'disgusting' and 'too strong' etc. Someone even said it was making their eyes itch but oils aren't airbourne..duh! :P

Dana O'Shee - "smells like you :P"

Fae

Tamora

Katharina

Jolasveinar

Haloa

So peach, Icelandic lichen and baked goods. Who knew?

Edited by sionnac

Mort de Cesar

Three Witches

Samhain

Pickled Imp

Apparently the guys I work with (most of the compliments come from men at my work) like cinnamon and cloves alot!

I'm happy about that because those are 4 of my very favorite blends!

Because once they (managers etc) found out that my perfume was a perfume oil and a bit gothic, they didn't like it. It was only when they saw the bottle that the complaints started and people started to say it smelt 'disgusting' and 'too strong' etc. Someone even said it was making their eyes itch but oils aren't airbourne..duh! :P

You know, this theory is testable: I'll put my long neck out in the name of science first thing Monday: I have sample vials of Tocca, which I'll pull that one out during the daily casual conversation. I'll continue by announcing that I've "given up on oils...they're just too strong...". If my hypothesis is correct, I predict that responses to any/all scents that I wear (except, yeah...maybe Urd) will be wildly different. I will, of course, wear Madonna, Antique Lace, or something similarly tame when I make this "announcement". Sneaky, sneaky.. But I wanna see! Stay tuned..

(can you spot the research fellow? :D )

It just annoys me when I accept everyone else and don't get the same back..I mean at the end of the day it's just a different type of perfume to what everyone else wears isn't it? It doesn't make me a bad person or anything! I don't get it. I was threatened with disciplinary action for wearing Knave of Hearts once. Yeah, I left that job..

DISCIPLINARY action?!?! :P

Want me to come DISCIPLINE these jackasses? WTF!

DISCIPLINARY action?!?! :P

soudns like you should have been wearing Clemence :D

DISCIPLINARY action?!?! :D

soudns like you should have been wearing Clemence :D

:P :D :D

Haha well yeah the funniest thing is that they decided my perfumes were 'offensive'!! R-tards.

I did actually test out Indig0's theory; I wore Glowing Vulva the next day and guess what?!.. "Ooh, that smells gorgeous. Much better than those weird gothy ones you were wearing.." Stupid people. Needless to say I don't work there anymore. They were the type of 'team' (management included) to comment on anything I did as 'weird'. That's the only word they had for it. It was weird that I was vegan, weird that I didn't wear commercial perfumes, weird that I was into stuff like aromatherapy and holistic healing and weird that I didn't want to go on nights out with them!!

People always complement me when I wear "Harlot", from Ars Amatoria, and it is a delightful fragrance: three types of exotic rose scents mixed with a bit of cinnamon. Usually, I find cinnamon to be a little too strong for me, but in this case, it's subtle. The whole fragrance of "Harlot" is romantic and gently sexy. Very nice!

Since starting this thread some months ago, it's comforting to see many have the same insecurity about telling people what you are wearing.

I was shopping in Trader Joe's and the woman behind the counter asked me what I was wearing. I swear I flinched thinking she thought I smelled awful. I was so happy when she said I smelled great. I was wearing Chrysanthemum Moon at the time. Then one day at work the same thing happened and I again responded with the same fear. This time it was Red Moon. Both women were in their 50's so I take them both as good compliments from people who probably would be reluctant to try oils.

I wear Snake Oil frequently and really don't care what other's think because it is so comforting to me. And to think I hated it 7 months ago.

During the summer I'm a cashier at a pet store, and thus far I've had a construction worker like The Illustrated Woman and a woman in her late 40's-50s say I smelled good- go Beaver Moon 05!

My mum: "I like everything!" I get compliments on everything, even though she's pretty much my opposite (she doesn't wear oils, but I'm gonna get her a bottle for her birthday) since she likes florals and I like spicy musky scents, but she likes Mme Moriarty/Snake Charmer/Death Adder/BM05.

I've been complimented on Smut by just about everyone, on Cerberus and Lilith at work (lol, I bring my own little slices of hell with me), and on Poisoned Apple by people who are close to me. The Apple doesn't throw much on me, so only my nearest and dearest can smell the stuff!

People seem to have a positive reaction to Eat Me, which I love, so I probably slather it a little bit. Plus it's got good throw.