Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Scanmike

The scents that get you the most compliments?

Maybe it's just me or the nature of the oils(not enough throw), but I am not finding that many people comment on what I am wearing. Most of the women I work with wear traditional perfumes from department stores. And when I wear my Burberry or Bvlgari perfume, I do find people will say I smell good. I am beginning to think that maybe they don't like how I smell (and are politely not commenting) or they just don't smell it. Maybe I am not putting on enough. The only BPAL that so far has gotten positive attention is Antique Lace. I am waiting for someone to say "what is that you are wearing?", but so far nothing. I am so excited about BPAL that I would love to introduce them to the oils. Could it be their noses only pick up deparment store perfume scents? Well, I am wondering what BPAL scents get you compliments???

Thanks,

Denise

The only scent I've had multiple compliments on so far is Moon Rose. I love that one and I'm glad others do too.

I wish more people would ask me what I'm wearing.

Midnight Kiss and Old Beaver Moon are the ones I've gotten the most compliments on from a variety of people.The weirdest compliment I've gotten was from Hungry Ghost Moon... Some creepy guy told me how good I smelled and wanted to know if I was wearing pheromones or something... :P

Maybe it's just me or the nature of the oils(not enough throw), but I am not finding that many people comment on what I am wearing. Most of the women I work with wear traditional perfumes from department stores. And when I wear my Burberry or Bvlgari perfume, I do find people will say I smell good. I am beginning to think that maybe they don't like how I smell (and are politely not commenting) or they just don't smell it. Maybe I am not putting on enough. The only BPAL that so far has gotten positive attention is Antique Lace. I am waiting for someone to say "what is that you are wearing?", but so far nothing. I am so excited about BPAL that I would love to introduce them to the oils. Could it be their noses only pick up deparment store perfume scents? Well, I am wondering what BPAL scents get you compliments???

Oils do have less throw, although now that I've been using oils for the past few years, I can't stand the synthetic alcohol cloud that I smell on people wearing conventional perfumes.

Personally, I don't care if other people notice my perfume, since I wear it for my own enjoyment.

If it helps, I find that BPAL's heavier scents (ones with red musks, patchouli, etc) are the ones with the most throw.

Edited by Arylkin

Maybe it's just me or the nature of the oils(not enough throw), but I am not finding that many people comment on what I am wearing.

I think it's a throw issue. I almost never get any feedback on my BPAL, with two exceptions: 1) one particular friend of mine with a super-sensitive nose (seriously, he can tell when his wife opens a tube of hand cream in the next room!) and 2) anyone whose face I stick my wrist in. :P

Very sad! I'm tempted to start making up sprays of my favorites, to see if that helps.

I have the same problem as you, Denise. My coworker in the next office has a great nose, so she often smells my BPAL, but scarcely anyone else comments. Even my boyfriend, and I know he's way more close-up than anyone else is! :P

I tend to get compliments on the heavier scents I happen to wear, which I would suppose also have a larger throw. Those are Crypt Queen, Australian Copperhead, and Smut (usually layered with Eat Me, which does well standing on its own). I also get a lot of compliments on Snow White, which strangely has a long throw despite being a subtle scent.

The biggest reason commercial perfume blends are more easily smelled on others is because they contain alcohol, which increases a scent's throw. If all else fails, you can look at this thread to try diluting some of your BPAL in alcohol to see if you get more favorable results. I have liked my experiments in parfum sprays so far.

the two oils that i get the most attention from are bordello (which has a medium throw for me) and kabuki (which has an insane, can you smell me on the other side of the supermarket kind of throw on me). people will just randomly walk up to me while i'm wearing kabuki and tell me how awesome i smell.

Smut, Mme. Moriarty, Velvet, and Gingerbread Poppet have gotten me the most unsolicited compliments. I'm usually the type who demands that people (who know of my BPAL obsession) smell me. Mme. Moriarty is a favorite of several of the ladies I work with. I think mainly because it's the one with the most throw on me. Oddly, my straight guy friends love Smut, while my gay guy friends like Velvet. :P

I wore Danube today and my co-worker actually said "it smells like flowers in here". Finally!

I might give Rose Red a try tomorrow.

Denise

I wore Danube today and my co-worker actually said "it smells like flowers in here". Finally!

I might give Rose Red a try tomorrow.

Denise

I"m going to give Rose Red a try tomorrow

Denise

Zarita almost always equals compliments, the instant I walk up to someone.

All Souls fares pretty well too.

Calliope gets the most comments. My co-workers always think I am squishing lemons at my desk. :P

I get most complimented on Dorian, Snow White (probably the most complimented), The Wild Men of Jezirat Al Tennyn, Les Bijoux, and Mme. Moriarty. It's a mixture of throw, skin chemistry, and other people's likes. With one of my friends if she likes something, she says it's powdery. Kills me every time. I find that other BPALers give the most compliments and have better noses (example: "Mmmm.. Red musk! Is that Mme. Moriarty?").

Snow White*

Bastet*

Kindly Moon*

Chrysanthemum Moon

Red Moon '07

* practically every time I wear these scents (which is often) somebody will say how nice I smell. Mostly complete strangers out in public. My coworkers, friends and family have pretty much stopped commenting on my perfume. (not in a bad way like they don't like it, just in a 'as to not sound like a broken record' way)

I second Arylkin's statement that the heavier blends with red musk, patchouli, and so on seem to get more compliments.

I've been complemented more than once, unsolicited, on Red Lantern and Mme. Moriarty -- every time, however, was in the midst of a hug. I take this to mean that even the heavier blends that I wear are undetectable outside of close range.

Alas! I wish it would happen more often! :P

The Unheavenly City. I wore it to work last Saturday, and several co-workers commented on how good it smelled. Just yesterday one of those co-workers was still talking about it! She said I smelled like a big delicious lollipop and wished more people would smell like that.

Cheshire Cat and Shub-Niggurath, any time I wear Snake Oil. People have mentioned smelling it "right when they walked in the building", which is funny, becuase it's always at a point in the day where I don't notice it anymore unless I'm huffing at my wrist like a crack addict.

I really don't get a lot of comments either - my mom liked Antique Lace, and I've had compliments on Dorian. But honestly? I don't think I know enough people who'd feel comfortable commenting on perfume - apart from my husband, the people I spend the most time around are the college students in my classes, and I really doubt any of them are going to comment on a professor's perfume! (Employees in universities seem really uncomfortable commenting on such things, unless you're already good friends - they don't want to be accused of sexual harassment!) And I also tend to have a "don't talk to me, I don't know you" face when I'm out in public by myself, so strangers don't usually approach me. :D

It may not be because people aren't smelling the perfume, though, as much as they don't get BPAL as perfume. I was once waiting for people in a used-book store to tally up some books I'd brought in, and the employees started saying to each other, "Do you smell pot-pourri? I'm sure I smell pot-pourri!", and I'm quite sure it was actually ME! But we all agreed it must be the books. :P It was Tamamo-no Mae, which I don't think smells at ALL like pot-pourri! But I think the thing was that it doesn't smell at all like conventional perfume - no flowers or musk - or alcohol! - so it just didn't register as perfume them - it was some other kind of smell. So I think some people don't comment because BPAL is so unlike conventional dept-store perfumes, they don't associate it with something that people wear.

(Oh, wait, my hairdresser usually comments! She's one of the few people up-close-and-personal enough to notice, I think. She's liked most stuff I've worn, though.)

I don't get comments very often either - one way or another....I really hope it's that the oils don't have a lot of throw vs. people thinking I stink. :D

occassionally, I will get a compliment on Tanuki (LE Shapeshifter - I think it was associated with Old Moon '08, but I don't remember exactly)

The other one that gets a good reaction is El Dia de Reyes 2007 - it smells like the richest hot chocolate ever; at least on me - can't say that I've come across any other BPALers in my day to day travels.

hmmm.

I think Szepasszony has received a compliment from my mom (and she HATES BPAL - and she tends to HATE it all - I was floored when she liked this one)

Bordello is another good one for me - the lab's plum seems to agree with me & anyone that happens to take notice.

Kitsune-Tsuki is another one that goes plummy yum on me & got a compliment or two.

Midwinter's Eve'05, Rose Red'05 & Samhain 2007 are good too.

Sorry to list so many LE's - I just seem to have better luck with them I guess.

However, I would suggest that you find a note that you can build around.

In my case - Plum is a great choice for both my chemistry and other people's nose it seems :P

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Eat me - vanilla, current and spicy goodness.

Temple Viper - I have no idea why so many people like this. When i have worn this people seem friendlier to me as well, want to stand closer to me.

Incubus - A lot of people ask when incense i burn at home, because it makes me smell beautiful. I swear i'm not a hippy, it's my perfume!

Cockainge - All the sweet lovers swoon over this one.

I got more compliments yesterday when I was wearing Blue Fire than I have ever gotten before. I've had a few people comment about Beaver Moon '07, The Candy Butcher, Treat #1, and Parlement of Foules '08, but Blue Fire had everyone coming up to sniff and ask what I was wearing.