Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A crisp, pale, almost translucent rose dusted by moonflower and midnight dew.

In the bottle this is very light. The description of "pale" fits so well! And there's an almost aquatic note too. I just can't believe how perfect the description for this is. I can pick out each and every note. I'm not a big fan of florals but this is right up there with my few favorites. It's very soft and light and so pretty.

I layer it with Bath and Bodyworks Sensual Amber lotion and they work really well together. I can't get my husband to stop sniffing me when I wear the two together. :P

In the imp: This reminds me of an Avon perfume my great-grandmother drenched herself in. It's making me really hesitant to try this, but here goes...

Wet: Subtle floral, something fresh and green. Not nearly as strong as I thought it would be, thankfully.

Drydown: Very pretty and feminine. I scanned some of the previous reviews and saw a lot of people describing this as a pink rose, but in my mind it's pure white, a rosebud just beginning to unfurl. It was on the verge of soapy for a while, but it never quite went over. It smells very fresh and clean, very cool, and it's not overpowering at all. In fact, it's very very light and fades away quickly.

My nose said to me-- "This is just like when you take morning walks and smell the barely budded roses, their scent cooled by the morning dew."

I agreed, it gives me the rose scent I love so much while making me feel just the a tad more youthful and light footed.

This has the young 'rose' scent - a rose that is still in bud, with a light touch of aquatic.

Unfortunately, rose amps up on me and this particular blends smells like rose soap.

Ah well...

Usually rose scents work well on me. Moon Rose didn't :P

It started out with a light, pretty rose scent. Then it turns really sharp and starts to bring back bad memories of Ghost Mist (I wore it when I was about 13-14 just because I liked the name. I disliked the smell). I think I'm kinda allergic to this one because it made my eyes water. After awhile it kinda turned to cat pee on my skin.

Meh, I guess not every rose can work on me. There are a few that are omgtodiefor and I guess this just kinda balances them out a bit.

In the imp, this is a cool, soapy rose. No, it doesn't smell like rose soap, it just smells like soap. Am I having a weird nose day? I don't normally think everything smells like soap.

Ah, okay, once I put it on it does smell like the coolest, palest rose imaginable. Ooooh. Pretty. I got this in an imp pack of rose scents to see which one I like the best, and so far this is winning. This evokes the name and the description perfectly - it's like the palest white or pink rose in moonlight, with dew just settling in sparkling beads on the petals. So pretty! There is a little bit of soapiness, but in a really, really good way - like this is a really clean rose.

This reminds me, somehow, of my BFF Lauren's house...I don't know why, but I am getting a very vivid scent memory of her house, and I suddenly miss her a lot.

Yeah, this one is definitely a keeper. <333

In the bottle: Green roses.

Wet: Very fresh roses, less green. It's a clean rosy scent, not a heady one.

Dry: Gah, it's going a bit soapy on me. I bemoan that fine line between clean and soapy. I wonder what is responsible for the soapiness?

Summary: Rosy soap, although I have to admit, it never went dried rose - it was always clean, fresh rose, even when soapy. And it wasn't horribly soapy.

(I now know that moonflower = soap on me, very often.)

in the imp: yep. that's rose all right.

wet on skin: rose mixed with moonflower.

dry down: it has stayed the same, equal parts moonflower and rose.

in all: i really like moonflower, but i don't think i'm much for it as a perfume- i like it more as incense. and i think it actually takes away from the subtlety of the rose in this blend. but i'm also extremely picky about rose scents, so maybe others will like it more than i.

This one isn't so much fresh cut roses as it's roses on the bush in the early morning. If I were to put a color on these flowers it'd be lavender or white, NOT pink or red.

Wet, dry, and after a bit is all the same- a slightly aquatic, definitely moonflower, light rose.

I much prefer the fresh cut roses scent compared to this one. I'm a rose purist I guess!

In the imp: It's the scent of roses with a sweet undertone that I can't place. Maybe a touch aquatic? But it's really more of a whiff of that if there's any at all. It's a delicious and delicate scent.

Wet: Instantly on my skin the pale sweetness dies away and it's just a strong, if lovely, scent of roses. It's mature and feminine and all I'd want out of a rose perfume if I was maybe...six or seven years older than my current nineteen.

Drying: Okay, the roses are no longer quite as strong. It has a very decent throw and I can smell the sweetness under the roses again. I'm wondering if that's the moonflower because it smells like a floral, I just can't place it. And every so often I get maybe a hint of aquatics or something else. Could be the "midnight dew" could be something else entirely.

Dry-fade: Roses, sweet roses, apparently this smells especially good on me because I asked my friend to smell my wrist and the first thing she said afterwards was "Get a bottle of this. Definitely." And she's really picky about scents too...usually she just tells me that the ones I like are okay or decent, but this one was a definite bottle. It's a bit like an expensive rose soap I used once, except that it doesn't have that strange tang soap sometimes develops.

Later: It's almost nonexistent the morning after, just the faintest scent of lush roses, but the scent is so very very pretty! And the fact that it's lasted...seriously for over eight to ten hours....is pretty impressive, especially with my particular body chem since most scents tend to disappear on me (like The Hesperides T-T).

Obviously, this is a bottle candidate. I love it to death and if you love rose scents this is a definite keeper for you! I'm also wearing a leather cuff that's not mine but a friend's, and the mix of roses and leather was also very tantalizingly delicious (in a completely different and not so feminine as moon rose manner) so a friend of mine suggested Whip. I might try it ^^

Edited by amnerine

This is the only BPAL rose blend I have not been impressed with so far. The "translucent" part is right: Where is the scent? I think I smell rose, with a hint of something else that may be floral, but the whiff is here and gone so quickly I'm not quite sure.

In the bottle: a soft, sweet, watery floral. Rather nice.

Wet on skin: dewdrops on roses and another floral I guess must be moonflower. Pretty!

Dry on skin: the rose comes out more, but it's a very soft, mild, pretty rose, almost sugared. Lovely!

OH. MY. GOD.

I ordered this for my mom, and I did NOT want to give it to her (but I did of course). It smelled like heaven. Literally. This has to be what heaven smells like. The moonflower is the first note I get, and then a crisp, pale, ethereal rose bud underneath.

AHHHH. Instant favorite! I hope my mom loves this one, because I sure did.

Edited by thelaurenator

In bottle: Sweet flowers. I’m surprised there is no melon in this. Wet: The rose is stronger here, but not as strong as the other flower. It’s a light, feminine blend. Not my thing, but very nice. Dry: Faint powdery flowers. Fades very fast.

I love this rose blend. It's not sweet and has an air of fresh, dewy grass about it. Kind of reminds me of the rose absolute used in Hymn. In the vial it smelled a soapy, but once I applied it the green + rose just wrapped all over me. I dried without leaving any sort of trail, which I found odd. I'm putting this on the bottle list!

This is so lovely! The scent is exactly as described and really captures that feeling of walking around the garden at twilight. It's lighter than the other rose scents I've tried like Whip or Victoria, which is nice since I amp rose like there's no tomorrow. "Shimmering" describes this scent well! I really had my fingers crossed specifically for the night-blooming rose Gruss an Achen that I remember from childhood with it's pale, delicate powderuff blossoms scenting the night air...ahhhhh....but this is close!

A keeper and possibly a bottle in the future.

Okay first off, almost every predominantly rose blend I ever tried turned to screaming, ammonia-like smells. This however, is the first rose blend that actually smells like roses on my skin. You know when you go to a florists, and they grab a bouquet of the light pink, barely blooming roses out of the fridge, so that they're cold and fresh with just a light sheen of condensation on the petals? That is exactly what this smells like. It's light and cool and beautiful.

Moon Rose didn't smell very good in the imp. Kind of like a watery, salty rose.

On my skin, though, it started to bloom into a very dewy rose with a hint of the moonflower adding depth and sweetness. That stage was lovely and it lasted for about an hour, but I could also tell what was coming...

After a couple of hours, it got a little, um, salty? Soapy? Just... not quite right.

I'm kind of "whatever" about this one.

In the vial, it didn't smell as floral as one might expect. It did smell floral-y, but also with an almost dark broody or aquatic undercurrent. It reminded me of the sacred rose oils one would find in Bulgaria except with more kick in the rose and less spices.

Wet on skin - The rose takes over as a very pointed, sharp, and almost "alive" scent rather than the dull powdery scent that often accompanies the rose note. In the background, there is the undercurrent described in the vial, however, the undercurrent reveals simply a floral background and depth complimenting the rose note that brings to the mind the imagery of being in the rose section of the garden, smelling mostly the rose but also taking in the whole garden in the background.

Drydown - The rose keeps its power at the front of the notes, but the background notes also come out more. A scent that keeps making me want to smell my wrists over and over again.

Notes: There's something provocative about this scent while also remaining somewhat childish at the same time. But when I say childish, I mean it somehow captures a childish wonder at its smell rather than being a more childish scent. Not too haughty, not too rosey, and not too much throw, but enough for people no notice as you walk by. One of the background notes smells like Honeysuckle, but I don't believe it is because Honeysuckle historically aggravates my nose.

Another one I didn't think I would like but I do! I usually stay away from the Lab's rose scents because they smell so true to life. I like the soapy, old fashioned rose scents. Which are very similar to what this is. It reminds me of my Grandma, which is sweet and nostalgic. I'm getting a bottle of this for spring.

Has really great staying power, too!

Moon Rose is a big whopping smack in the face with moonflower and rose. I'm not detecting anything herbal or aquatic to this, it's just a very strong floral blend on me. I can see why people would like this, it's very pretty, femenine and something I can see a lot of different types of people wearing. It's a good "every day" type of scent. This sort of reminds me of this rose body butter I tried once at an upscale boutique. It even reminds me a bit of Philosophy's Amazing Grace perfume. This is a "Mom" scent. :)

I can appreciate this, it's very very pretty but just not for me.

Edited by Monster

In the imp: A very fresh, pale rose with a soft, sweet, wispy quality to it. It's a dewy rose, not fully opened and not candy sweet, either. It also isn't quite like any other BPAL rose that I've tried, though there's something fresh air-like here that makes me think of the linden blossoms in The Unicorn.

On, wet: Young, dew-covered white tea roses, with a tiny touch of green stem. Behind the rose itself is something a bit softer and sweeter, in a way that almost makes me think of Antique Lace. I guess that's the moonflower? It's very pretty, feminine and ethereal, and it makes me think of a moonlit stroll in a rose garden.

On, dry: The moonflower (?) note is becoming more prominent and blending with the dewy rose, making the whole thing very light and soft and sweet—again, it makes me think of Antique Lace, but with white roses instead of vanilla musk. As light and almost… translucent as this is, it actually has decent throw.

Later: Perfect blend of the rose and the moonflower note, although I think this is more moonflower than rose on me. In any case, it's light and clean and it does have a certain glowing quality that does make me think of moonbeams.

Overall: If ghosts wore perfume, this would be it. This is more Moon Floral than Moon Rose on me, because the dewy rose note eventually softens and fades into the sweeter moonflower, but it still does have a moonlit, glowing, lustrous quality to it, and I think it's lovely. It's sweet and feminine without being sugary and light without being a skin scent. I suspect it would be an especially nice choice for hot weather, because it isn't heavy at all.