Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
janelle_hell

Zombi

Dried roses, rose leaf, Spanish moss, oakmoss and deep brown earth

In the bottle - Moss on a crumbling stone wall

Wet on me - Moss, with what I would have said was geranium behind it

Dry on me - Dry and earthy and mossy

Overall - I really didn't expect to like this, but I really do. This could end up finding its way into my bottle collection Edited by quantum spice

In the vial this is straight up dirt, very potent. Then on my skin the florals bloom and the moist mosses come out, and I'm in love. I would love to wear this to some outdoor party or event in the spring time. Honestly the rose is threatening to take over but it's stopping just short of overpowering the other notes. I hope it stays just like this. Reminds me a lot of my favorite Demeter combination, Wet Garden and Dirt.

Wow is that really a dirt note? Beth sure has nailed it spot on and I've never really smelled anything like it before. The glowing reviews was enough for me to try the imp as one of my first imp packs! Sadly after putting it on it turned into pretty rose soap with the dirt note fading over all. I had really high hopes for it. Oh well.

My chemistry must be really wonky because lately so many scents are turning into powder on me. :P

It started out as a very sharp rose, as it began to dry down I could catch a hint of earthy scent, but it didn't last long. After a while it was a decent rosey perfume, but now that has even disappeared and now I smell like my mil (powder and make-up).

Oddly enough though, the bit I put on my cleavage actually kept the rose scent and smells better than what I put on my wrists. hmmm?

Maybe I'll keep the imp and try again, but I won't be getting a bottle.

On me, Zombi has a wonderful, very pink and fleshy rose smell. Unfortunately, it also reeks of Windex. I don't think my skin likes the dirt. Alas- the rose keeps taunting me, because it smells so wonderful, but the Windex smell gives me a headache.

I love the dirt note in Burial and Penny Dreadful so I've been so excited to try Zombi!

In the bottle, I smell dirt and a touch of the rose. On at first all I'm getting is dirt and it's kind of sickening....almost rotten even. Luckily that stage doesn't last long and something almost salty emerges, almost like sea kelp. That's kind of odd. It's also quite powdery and becoming more so I wear it.

I kind of like it after it gets over the rotten stage but it kind of twinges my nose and makes my eyes water. I don't know if this is something I could wear but I might pour it in my bath because I really like that aquatic dry down.

Imp: Why do I smell something fruity? :D

Wet: Aha, so this is the lab dirt note (bear with the newbie, please)

Dry: Ugh. Not sure I like this. It definately has something rotten and decaying to it. The image of a zombi, an opened grave is very clear behind this scent. Formidably recreated. But I'm not sure I like to smell of this.

ETA: I swapped this. The craftsmanship of this (well, of every BPAL that I have tried) is incredible. But grave smell seriously just freaks me out :P

Edited by Browneyes

Scent: zombi

In bottle: almost colorless yellow, thin liquid

very sharp, a bit earthy and some small roses hiding in the background

Wet: still sharp (it’s now taking on an added dimension of green) but the roses are blooming a bit. Still feels rather… thin. If it stays like this I think I’ll be more interested in seeing what it does layered than by itself.

Dry: Oh! the sharpness is fading but not going away entirely and a lovely light rose is coming through. I see shy so many folks love this one.

Later: ultimately goes warmly sweet and only faintly rosey with a touch of green. With a touchup for top notes this will be perfect!

Summary: Oh, I love this one – it’s just my sort of rose!

In the vial:

RICH roses

On me:

Wow. If roses could be measured in terms of bland, to mild to savory to rich - this would be rich. It's a very strong, deep rose scent. I imagine these roses to be nearly dead and a deep burgundy, rather than red.

That moss and earth kick right in also - it's so.... loamy lol. It's that green, deep bitter tang and it really does make me think of something decaying (not necessarily in a bad way).

But as rose tends to do on me, it's just too strong. It's interesting because it is much like I expected, but the rose is so potent on my skin that it's giving me a headache

Final note:

I have issues with rose unfortunately, but this blend is really interesting!

I can't tell you how this smells on yet....as I'm too entranced with just sniffing it in the imp to try it....

But let me give you some background...

I've been walking down to my busstop since January. These last few weeks as the snow melts the earthy, moist, compost smell has really started to appear. I also walk right past my city's cemetary.....and the newest graves are right along the fence line where I walk (in fact, right before the time change I was walking past in the dark---I work graveyard hours....LOL!----and there was a new grave with a lit candle burning beside it....very eerie! ) So I've been smelling a particular scent of earth and cemetary floral arrangements for a couple of months now......AND thinking of how wonderful it would be if someone could capture this scent in a bottle....Heh! And then....a few weeks ago I encountered BPAL for the first time and thought...."if ANYONE could/would!!!!" So my latest online purchase of imps arrived this Monday and Zombi was one. Imagine my suprise when I opened the bottle to sniff and THAT EXACT SMELL that I had been longing for in a bottle....WAS IN A BOTTLE!!!!!! I'm actually kind of scared to try it on.....as I don't want it to morph and dissappoint me.....so bear with me and I'll edit later if I do gain the courage to try it on my skin.... :P

Am sucking up and trying on!

Wet on skin--Wow! where did all the roses come from and where is the dirt?

Drying down--The roses have settled in...not too obnoxious....more a dry, dusty floral...the mosses are a nice background. On my wrists its mostly rose....on my elbows there is still that "dirt/loam" scent YAY!

Response--not quite the heady earth scent it is in the bottle, but it is a rose scent that I can wear without feeling too icky/girly/floral! Green moss, dry wild rose, a foresty wild scent! I like this..will probably have to get more....sigh.....

Just ordered a 5ml of this....the throw is incredible and this lasts forvever on me.....very different from what I usually wear, but very, very unforgettable!

Edited by Bulletslc

Zombi is such an intruiging and unusual scent. I wanted to try it due to my love of zombie movies. In the vial, it smells of dirt and mould, which isn't very appealing. However, on my skin, its amazing. It starts out dirt and greenery then the rose comes in and the dirt note fades to a whisper. It makes me think of a zombie that has crawled from its grave with earth and funeral roses clinging to it. Zombi was my Halloween scent last year, but its also something that can be worn year-round. I think I'll be picking up a bottle in the next few months.

this IS my bpal scent (well, thus far, i still have so many to sniff). words cannot pinpoint the strangely sensual feeling i have when zombi has infiltrated my senses, but it is sensuality. this is the scent that made me fall for all scents moss-ified, and made me yearn for other dried, dead rose scents. my astrological makeup is painted by fire and air and horns, so i think these heavily earthy scents pull me back down and soothe me. and on my manly man, this scent...oh dear :P i can see this one going in several different directions for different people...dirt, rose, dark greens...but this one hits me and the lover just right.

Smells like wet mud to me. With a strong undercurrent of something floral, must be the rose I suppose but it's really overpowered by wet earth. It's somewhat refreshing for hot weather as it reminds me of sodden grass after a lot of rain. Does turn more floral as it dries.

It's an intriguing scent and very cleverly done. I love sniffing it on my wrist. But, it's really too pungent for me to wear as a perfume.

Bottle: Roses. Dry leaves. Dirt. Wow, this is remarkable.

Wet: The roses don't smell dried to me, they smell fresh and wet. There's a teeny bit of oakmoss and DIRT!

Dry: The scents dry out as the oil does, becoming more dusty. I wish there was more dirt. I like the dirt note more than I probably should. It fades down to a beautiful soft rose at the end.

Overall: Really, I don't know if I can pull this off as a personal scent and it unfortunately appears to fade quickly, but in terms of sheer technicality it is marvelous how much it smells like it's supposed to. I'm just glad Zombi doesn't actually smell like a zombie. They probably don't smell this good.

Zombi is so curious. To be honest, I didn't buy this scent to enjoy it but more so to have as a trophy because I loved the concept of the description so much! I have to admit though, I really got into it when I wore it.

It smells like damp soil with a delicate hint of florals. The soil smell is very rich and fresh when the oil is wet. It got quite overpowering on the skin but I like how the flowers swirl in the background. Who though zombies smellt so nice? So interesting, I love it!

this was a frimp from the lab, and although i've always been curious about this one, one whiff from the vial tells me it probably won't work. i'm just not a "dirt note" fan. on my skin, the rosy smell, while interesting, is not really pleasing to my nose, either. something develops, the moss i guess - this really is an intriguing, image-inducing scent. it's actually creepy - i get an image of moss growing on a stone wall. or did i read that in one of the reviews? i don't remember. it's very dark and gothic smelling, a romanticized version of a zombi. i like it for the imagery, because it really evokes a creepy yet beautiful scene. but i don't know if this scent is appealing enough scent-wise for me to wear it very much. it actually ends up almost too sweet.

The name Zombi so appeals to me that I just had to try this. I wondered if the scent would be like the name or the contents. In the vial I could smell dirt-just overwhelmingly plain old dirt. I decided to try it anyway because I wanted to see if the other notes would come out. When first applied I got dirt with moss, the kind of dried moss that I get at Michael's to complete a floral arrangement. But after half an hour or so, the soft elegant rose floral fragrance started wafting up along with the earthy moss, and it reminded me of a Victorian Rose Garden. Very peaceful, comforting and calming-perfect! :P

I did not expect to like this one, as roses tend to go a little "old lady" on me. The earth note is what made me shy away from wanting to try it, but it also made me curious about it.

In the imp- Dried roses and little bit of potting mix.

Wet- MMMM! The earthy scent is not as strong, and the roses smell a little more lively.

Dry- I really love this one. The earth scent binds the rose, and I detect something a little...I am not sure what word fits. Not spice, not musk...but just dry? Words fail me.

I LOVED this one! It smells the same in the bottle as it does on me. I can definitely pick out the dirt and the roses. Dirt has always been a very comforting scent to me, spiritually and otherwise. It makes me feel safe. Other people say it smells like "old lady" but I totally disagree!

I'm worried maybe there's something wrong with my nose, because I get LEMON from Zombi. It actually reminded me at first sniff on my skin of Embalming Fluid, which I thought - hey, that makes sense! But then I looked back at the notes, and I have no idea where that phantom lemon is coming from.

But in any case, to me it smells like lemon and roses with a spicy dirt note in the background. And? I LOVE IT. And I'm so glad I love it because I <3 zombies. I'll be getting a bottle of this with my next lab order.

I think this might be the first rose scent that I actually like.

The earth and moss scents are dead on. It reminds me of playing the woods when I was little. I like the slight sweetness of the roses. In general, there's a feel of something decaying-- the moss, the earth, the flowers themselves are spent and dried. Definitely suitably for an Ars Moriendi mix.

My boyfriend has a moderate obsession with zombies. I'm looking forward to seeing how he likes this perfume!

In the imp: Really, for real, no kidding -- dirt.

Wet: I love this. I have no idea how this was done, but this dirt thing is sheer genius. Aha, roses coming out... danger, Will Robinson. :P

Drydown: However, the rose here is thankfully not the one in Blood Rose that goes so ghastly on my skin! I suspect the rose leaf and oakmoss, along with the obvious dirt, keep this from being just "florist roses that haven't been washed yet" and really, honestly evoke the scent of roses and freshly-dug earth. Amazing.

In the imp: Citrus and rose

On Skin: Sharp citrus like smell and ROSE!boom!

Drydown: Smells like roses... not the fresh kind but the preserved, potpourri kind. The kind that grandmothers like to buy and keep in sachets.

Verdict: I wish I got some dirt smell from this. Instead, I smell like roses, old ladies and old ladies that like to keep dried roses. Definitely not for me.