Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dracoo9

Hanami

A scent of peace, reflection, and renewal of the spirit: sakura, ume blossoms, and wisteria.

I have been lusting after this for a while, as I love everything with cherry blossom as a note. Not much new to say here from me- a clean, pink floral that reminds you a bit of some very fancy, yummy shampoo.

This also has some amazing lasting power on me, which was quite a surprise.

After clamoring for a decant of this for the longest time (and then forgetting I had one for the longest time), I'm a bit disappointed by Hanami. I have to echo previous statements of this smelling like a Japanesey body wash/shampoo with its soft sakura and ume notes. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but if I wanted to smell like Japanese bath products I'd just buy some from my local Japanese grocery.

Sniff: Heady strong florals, a blast of wisteria

Wet: More wisteria - fresh, bright, flowery. Slightly sweet cherry blossoms in the background, but mostly overpowered by the wisteria. This is very pretty and feminine. It's not as heady as I initially thought. It's smells very much like a spring perfume, clean and soft, with a faint aquatic note.

Dry: Soapy floral, the sakura comes out stronger now. This is surprisingly not powdery and stays clean and pretty the whole day.

The first time I tried this, I could barely smell anything. The second time, I couldn't smell much wet, but then after it dried down I suddenly caught a whiff of something really lovely and airy and springy on the back of my hand and it took a moment to connect "what's that?" with Hanami. It's a simple scent in theory, but really beautiful and uplifting, with wafts of cherry blossom and wisteria that remind me of biking down a certain road during the springtime when the wisteria are in full bloom. It also brings Sakura spray to mind and would probably blend really well with Sakura sprayed on my shirt. I have to find me a bottle.

♔ Hanami

In the Bottle: Sweet cherry blossom and sugared Japanese plum blossoms

Wet: I love how this smells in the bottle, it’s sugary and almost candied, but the wisteria is fresh and bright, keeping the sweetness in check. Japanese plum blossoms seem to have the same rich sugary floral note as sugared plum blossoms in Sugar Plum Fairy with a little added something juicy… melon? Sugar cane water?. For an infamous three-note blend, I usually expect all three notes to showcase equally, I’m actually surprised the plum blossoms dominate. The cherry blossom is so, so delicate and airy in this blend, much like it is in The Spirit of the Komachi Cherry Tree. The wisteria plays in the background and rounds the whole blend out, it’s uplifting, bright and fresh- but also very subtle in proportion, it also seems to smell more white than pale purple. It’s just so, so exquisite, simple and cleanly executed…very feminine and soft, but rich and plentiful.

Drydown: Well the cherry blossom is a lot more prominent now, a little watery (not quite BPAL aquatic), and quite powdery. It smells sweet, but fresh. It’s mostly a sweet, pink springtime blossom now. The scent still lingers but what remains smells a more like high-end skin care lotion now. It dies quite quickly, but what was there, was beautiful. I should hope to find a way to make this last, because I do love cherry blossoms most when they are either candied, or fresh, sweet and live.

TL:DR: Airy sweet, fresh, pink springtime blossoms.

When first wet, it smells like only sakura, but the wisteria jumps in almost immediately. This defintely has a white or pale pink floral quality to it, but has a slightly more exotic quality to it with the subtle fruitiness of the sakura.

Wet: Sweet cherry blossom. Really pretty.

Dry: Still sweet cherry blossom, but I think the plum blossom is out now as well.

This is a light, sweet floral, that doesn't at all go soapy or baby powdery on me. I wear the crap out of this during Spring; it's PERFECT for that time of year. Keeper.

Hanami starts off with a flurry of cherry blossoms, but the ume blossoms quickly join in, followed by the wisteria. The ume blossoms are lightly touched with plum and are the strongest note I get when the scent is wet, but the wisteria increases in strength over time, as it is wont to do on me, and makes this a somewhat high-pitched purple and pink floral scent on me. By the end of the day, it's wisteria-dominant, with the cherry blossom beneath the wisteria, and a much softer plum blossom beneath those notes. 

This is a pretty spring floral scent that my skin chemistry just isn't doing justice. I wish I hadn't amped the wisteria so hard, but I'm not willing to give up on this yet with how lovely it was when it was first applied. I will have to try layering this some sugar and vanilla scents or try it out in a scent locket.