Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dracoo9

Hanami

HANAMI
Sleeping under the trees on Yoshino mountain
The spring breeze wearing cherry blossom petals

In Japan, the advent of spring is heralded by a blanket of pink and white that spreads gently from the South to the North to cover the islands. Hana-mi translates to "flower watching", and it is a sport of leisure that has been enjoyed since the Heian Period.

A scent of peace, reflection, and renewal of the spirit: sakura, ume blossoms, and wisteria.

I looked and couldnt find a 'Hanami' topic anywhere so, here it goes.

First of all the label art is absolutly stunning and gorgeous.

In the bottle:
I smell the cherry blossom the most then the ume and wisteria seem to fight for dominance and I have difficulty picking them apart unless I really try. In the bottle this is defenently a spring scent and the color that comes to mind is pink.

On:
The smell hasnt really changed on me but it has become a very strong floral scent. I put just a tiny bit from the cap on my wrist and I can smell it still with my hand at my waist.
After a while the wisteria comes out more, much to my disapointment because I prefer the Sakura.

Review (slightly longer than usual due to it being the first):
If you expected this scent to have a slight sweetness for me it doesnt. With that in mind I'm stuck on my opinion of this scent. I was expecting a slightly sweeter scent probrably because of the Sakura but instead I get wisteria. I havent worn anything with Sakura in it before but I have wisteria and I think I may amp that.
3.5/5 (Like- will come back to in case something in the future changes)

I don't usually write reviews, but given the scarcity of Hanami reviews I just want to say here that Hanami smells like the best shampoo ever. A tad disappointing if you were, like I was, hoping for the fresh, pure scent of Japanese flowers. But still, I will enjoy wearing this in my hair.

Smelled perfumey in the bottle, but like a nice expensive perfume. Smelled much better if my nose wasn’t so close. It smells clean and warm, but not ozoney in any way. This is light, warm, and pink.

This gets 100 x better as it dries. The smell comes out more. Definitely Japanese, at least that is what it reminds me of. It is very unique and difficult to describe. I did not like it much wet, but I LOVE it dry. It is a sophisticated expensive Japanese smell. Gorgeous.

This was my first bottle ordered, and my first bottle sniffed. :P

I was very hopeful for this scent, and it didn't let me down. It's a very elegant, clean floral -- the sakura curls out first, then the wisteria, and the ume drifts along behind it. Wet, it remains very light, very pale pink and green and white in tone, and then it settles down to a comfortable mingling of blooms.

As it dries it does become more classically perfumey, though remaining very pure in tone. The throw is not heavy, but then, nothing about this scent is heavy. :D It does stay at a remarkably consistent strength for several hours, then fades away beautifully. As has been commented, it has a very Asian quality to it, and it made me feel relaxed and clear-headed while wearing it.

I like this a great deal, and am very, very happy to have bought a bottle.

In the bottle: Pretty. :P Not a scent for me, too feminine. Yes, flowery in the bottle, I can almost smell jasmine but not a strong jasmine, just a touch. ? There isn't any jasmine in the description so this must be something else. I don't know what ume, sakura or wisteria smells like so I can't say which is stronger or what might be contributing to the vague reminder of jasmine. Hmm, does it makes sense if I say it's a 'sweet' scent like cherry blossoms mentioned in the description. Maybe it's a slight 'candy' or almost 'bubblegum' hint but balanced with the florals.

I can understand where Mrs Black got the shampoo description from. It's a nice scent, "clean".

On my wife: Immediately after application the cherry blossom/sweet smell is prominent. On drydown the cherry blossom seems to have faded and it's a nice floral. No "shampoo" or clean smells now, just flowers.

Hanami is a nice scent. It's sweet but not foody (we aren't foody scented people). It's subtle but not shy. If you aren't a slatherer I think it wouldn't have a lot of throw. I'm glad we got her a bottle. I like other things on her a bit better but I do like this because it is a nice scent.

If you like Spirit of the Komachi Cherry Tree you might like this. Spirit of Komachi is sweeter, more cherry than blossom where Hanami is more like a floral carpet under a cherry tree with some cherry blossoms mixed in.

In the bottle, Hanami reminded me of soju......which is traditional Korean alcohol made from...potatos or something I think.......ahahaha....Kinda threw me off because I expected it to smell a little differently.

Don't ask.

But when I put it on, the first thing that popped into my mind when I sniffed was a feeling of intoxication, like people looking at the cherry blossoms and getting drunk. I actually started feeling a little woozy myself, but then again, I was sniffing my wrist like crazy because I was amused by the imagery.

Not long after it started drying, it turned into a beautifully elegant floral, and the cherry blossom really came out!! I love the smell of cherry blossom!! In the end, Hanami became exactly what I had expected.

I'm absolutely in love with Hanami and do not regret springing for it at all! (no pun intended)

This review comes with a disclaimer - I've been ill with a cold for the past week and still can't smell things quite as clearly as I normally can... but I know people are waiting for Hanami reviews, so here is my best attempt in the circumstances...

In the bottle: bright, floral, pink/white (like cherry blossoms)

On my skin: This is a bright and cheerful scent - like the feeling you get in the first days of spring when the sun is finally out and nature is waking up after the winter and there is but a gentle a breeze playing with your hair. This reminds me of some light and feminine "big name perfumes", something quite light and youthful. If I smelled this on someone I might imagine it's something by Escada or perhaps Tommy Hilfiger or Burberry.

Hanami is a lot like I expected it to be like. Really, really pretty, spring/summer scent. This is a simple floral in the sense that there is no guessing "oh I wonder what that note is" - it's really obvious that these are flowers/blossoms. It's not quite like any other BPAL I've tried before, either.

Woah. This is so good. It reminds me a lot of 51. Maybe it's 51's cousin from out of state that is half asian but they still look a lot alike.

It's so even handed with the fruit and floral that it's hard to pick out exactly what it is I am smelling. The fruitiness to me is like ripe cherries, but not cherry flavoring like in candy. This isn't super sweet, just ripe and juicy red cherries picked right from the tree. I get how some of the will call reviews said guava, but it's not really guava to me.

The blossoms are there and I can't identify a specific type. This doesn't really smell like Spirit of the Komachi Cherry Tree to me, but it is demure and classy. It's more fresh and fruity than SotKCT.

Hanami is shy and gentle, very feminine, but centered and has a will of her own.

I'm crazy about 51 so this is an obvious win for me.

My first bpal in a while (curse you, finances!) so I'm reviewing as I go because I smell GREAT.

In the bottle: Perfume. It smells like a classy floral perfume--alcohol and all.

Wet: ...dryer sheets? Really NICE dryer sheets. Also, wow, throw!

Drying: ...soap? But nice soap!

After ten minutes the 'soap' goes away. Or quiets down and it IS a peaceful scent. It lays close to the skin and... I wouldn't call it 'bright' scent--but its' got a little 'glow'. It's not overpoweringly floral on me. The plum blossom keeps it from being too sweet and the wisteria balances the fragrant plum blossom (which can be a little wild at times). It's a scent of 'spring coming through winter'. It's tranquil but happy. It's like getting to the best trees first and being able to enjoy them before the company parties turn up to get sloshed under the falling petals.

So far it is lovely! I'll come back and update later when I have more info.

It DOES smell different depending on where you're wearing it. It smells different on my wrist than it does on my fingers--more 'soap' at the wrist and then darker. The fingers smell lighter.

In bottle/imp: Very cool, perfume-y flowers.

Immediately on skin: This smells of very expensive, traditional perfume. But I don’t mean that in a bad way. It’s a slightly sweet and cool floral scent with just a very feminine feel. It’s not overly girly or fruity, but it smells clean and lovely. The wisteria is what is giving it such a cool and deep feel I believe, but the ume blossoms (plum blossoms) and sakura (cherry blossoms) give it a very nice wafting airy quality at the same time as well as a gentle sweetness.

After a little while: This has lightened up a little, but it’s still a slightly sweet and cool clean floral. It’s perfume-y and feminine while still retaining a little depth from the mix of cooler and sweeter floral notes.

Overall Impressions: This is just a very pretty, feminine, clean scent. It’s a very floral blend and smells much like traditional perfume to me, but it has that depth that you can only get from the lab’s creations. It’s well balanced and on the cooler side, but it still brings to mind thoughts of spring. I think this may appeal to those who enjoy blends like Dirty.

Like others here, I expected Hanami to be more like fresh flowers, and instead it's more of a shampoo/bodywash scent. It reminded me of a number of scents I've smelled before on other women ... and it's just not me. The biggest disappointment was that I couldn't smell the wisteria at all -- this is very, very fruity on me.

I second the shampoo/body wash thoughts, but don't let that turn you away! Hanami is gorgeously soft and subtle, and very very feminine without being disgustingly overpowering. When I first smelled it, it reminded me of really expensive salon shampoo, but once on, it reminds me of the Avon perfume Haiku, which was the only perfume my mom could get me to wear for many years.

I also have to add that my university has a huge square filled with Sakura and Ume trees, and this smells just like them, so to me, it DOES smell like fresh flowers, just those flowers happen to smell like bodywash. *shrug*

Very nice. I thought I would like Sugar Moon better than Hanami, but no. This is a very light scent. Reminds me slightly of the Cherry Blossom fragrance from L'Occitane. I just wish it was stronger (more throw).

Edited: I found this to be the perfect scent to wear for Easter. Outside my in-law's, their cherry tree was blooming. I found that I had to apply it three times throughout the day (and really quite slathering).

Edited by Megank4

Pure light sweet blossoms. I'd love a bath oil that smelled like this, but I'll settle for the perfume. I love this scent, it is exactly what I wanted it to be, I'll be wearing this a lot during the springtime.

On my this is CHERRY BLOSSOM with a hint of wisteria and plum blossom. This one has tons of throw on me- it's almost overwhelming at first, actually, but calms down as it dries. The scent does not morph at all on me, but stays a vivid, fresh cherry blossom throughout.

I do think this is one of the more "commercial" BPAL scents I have smelled- it smells a lot like what other women my age (20's) are wearing right now where I live., but without the 'fake' or overly full of perfumer's alcohol smell. This is certainly not my normal perfume fare, but I really, really, like it, and for some reason my nose is glued to my wrist. This scent is the epitome of spring-like femininity- light, fresh, a bit sweet and a bit tart as well. It's very pink to me, which is great b/c I don't have really any scents of that type in my scent wardrobe (well, aside from Pink Moon but that is something entirely different!). It's a lovely scent and I'm glad I took a gamble in ordering it.

Origin: Straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: I adore wisteria. One of the things I miss most about when I lived in the next, more expensive town over was the walk to the bus stop in springtime, going past a cascade of wisteria in full bloom. I cling to my lowly imp of Wisteria SN, sniffing it once in a while to get my fix. I had to try this.

In the Bottle: A beautiful, light, pink spring floral. I get a lot of wisteria, but I'm also getting plenty of the other two notes as well.

Wet: On me at first, it's a little bit greener, a little bit chillier. But all three notes are still there...I've got a huge smile on my face as I pick up the wisteria.

Drydown: I can see where others are thinking soap or bodywash or shampoo...there is something about it that strikes one as ultra-feminine floral. But it's a gorgeous ultra-feminine floral, very fresh and light.

Verdict: I am so glad I got this! I think I'll be wearing it a lot.

In the bottle: sweet cherry and plum blossoms with a touch of wisteria.

On me: it deepens and turns into a sweet, rich cherry and plum blossom and the hint of wisteria to keep it from getting sickeningly sweet. It smells absolutely amazing, and I didn't get soap/shampoo/commercial perfume from this at all.

I really wish I had gotten more than one bottle, because I am in love.

in the bottle: light, floral. the shampoo comparison is on the money at this point.

wet on skin: lovely! a mix of cherry blossom and something else i can't name. it has a more 'perfumey' note than i'm used to with BPAL oils.

dry down: reminds me a LOT of one of the only mainstream perfumes i like, Aqua di Parma.

in all: something for warm spring days and a dinner with relatives. i'm glad i have a bottle, it really is quite nice, though i don't think i'll be wearing it every day or anything.

Strange. In the bottle and upon first putting it on, it smells quite faint. When I first opened it and took a whiff, I was disappointed, thinking I'd never wear this because it would probably fade.

On skin, after about 1/2 an hour, it is surprisingly strong! It reminds me of going to the mall with my Mom when I was little, and smelling all the expensive perfumes. I bought this because I've never tried the different scent notes in this one. Sakura, wisteria, something else....can't remember. But I wanted to know how they'd work on my skin. Strong, floraly, it's now starting to remind me of easter. Maybe because it almost IS easter. Hmmmm....more details to emerge later, I'm sure. I'll revisit this post and update after wearing for an hour or so.

This scent pleasantly didn't change much from the bottle to my skin, and it had good throw and stayed on for almost 24 hours!! It smells just like the description, and I found that the sakura, ume, and wisteria all balanced each other out. It was like a perfect flower trinity that wafted about me all day. Very delicate, but fresh, feminine... Evocative. This is a new favorite, I will hoard this. Very very wonderful. I am so glad I bought a bottle.

First Impression: An airy, floral oriental.

Dries down to: Becomes more markedly floral - definitely oriental in tone.

Additional Comments: Cherry Blossom becomes the dominant note but it blends together beautifully with the plum blossom and wisteria. This is a nice scent for spring. It has a touch of sophistication to it and I can imagine a young woman wearing it to her prom.

Lasted: A few hours.

Rating: 4 out of 5

this is gorgeous. it's not my "usual" type of scent, but one that i've imagined in my head over and over in the past. it's one that evokes almost a sense of deja vu or dream sense. it's certainly "oriental-smelling" and even reminds me a bit of sweet, fresh laundry...very comforting...so almost like bpal's dirty in a way. i don't believe the sweetness of hanami has the capability of becoming cloying. i definitely catch the cherry blossom, which has sold me on the note and maybe even to the extent of overshadowing of bpal's straight cherry note (which i adore). this is a very light scent, almost faint, but i think if it were stronger, it wouldn't be the same scent. it's meant to be light and breezy, yet sweet and "ripe." this is also a very sophisticated scent, and very "quiet." (am i using too many quotation marks in this review?) i imagine hanami is an excellent choice for those occasions when one needs/wants to feel pretty and demure. it's definitely not for those who dislike floral blends, but it's not so floral that it is prissy. i'm so very glad i bought a bottle unsniffed. beautiful.

On me, this is a pretty springlike floral. At first I could pick out more of the sakura, and a bit of the wisteria, but now as it's dried more it's all blended into a beautiful floral. I'm not usually a big floral fan, but I think this is a perfect spring/early summer scent. It's something to wear when you want to feel pretty and girly. I'm thinking this would be perfect to wear to church, or weddings, or afternoon dress-up occasions. It's more of a day/afternoon scent than nighttime for me. I'm now debating whether to wear this or Ostara tomorrow for Easter!

I'm glad I bought a bottle unsniffed!

I'll be honest -- I wouldn't know wisteria or ume blossoms if someone waved them in my face, but I do know cherry blossoms. Hanami is strong on cherry blossoms. There's something else here, which I can only assume is the other two flowers. This is gorgeous and I only wish it were stronger on me.

When first applied, I too feel this smells kind of like soap/shampoo/body wash with cherry blossom being the dominant note. When dry, the florals blend together and the wisteria comes through. Hanaki is pretty strong and has throw. I think of spring when I smell this, so I will probably wear it until the heat of summer arrives.