Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

BPAL doesn't seem to have made one - or if they have, cilantro wasn't included in the list of notes. Coriander is listed as a note in Tristran, Tenotchtitlan and Tavern of Hell. Although the two may not smell the same to you, you probably know they come from the same plant, so those might be worth trying.

Try a search of the Reviews forum for instances where people have mentioned smelling cilantro (if that link doesn't work, you can do this by going to the forum search form, typing in "cilantro," asking it to search posts and titles and give results as posts). When I did that, I didn't get a lot of results, but more than one person mentioned Spooky (very hard to find), Eden, and Tenotchtitlan. You can also try that search with "coriander" and see if you find some other blends that people seem to detect the note in where it isn't listed.

If you like herbal scents, you can take a look at this thread - if you can't have the cilantro you're craving, you may at least find something else green and herbal that you like. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I checked out the links and unfortunately it seems that most are smelling the corriander in the more common scents. Corriander to me is way different than cilantro although they do come from the same plant. I am after that cilantro that no one else seems to be fond of. It looks like spooky or star might be my best bet. I am certain they are far too elusive for me though. I guess I can cross my fingers and hold my tongue just right that someday.....

edit to add:

You are amazing with the search thing on this forum. I have a hard time with just finding a name let alone as specific as you were. Thanks!

Edited by simplyfunjhose

Thanks for the reply. I checked out the links and unfortunately it seems that most are smelling the corriander in the more common scents. Corriander to me is way different than cilantro although they do come from the same plant. I am after that cilantro that no one else seems to be fond of. It looks like spooky or star might be my best bet. I am certain they are far too elusive for me though. I guess I can cross my fingers and hold my tongue just right that someday.....

edit to add:

You are amazing with the search thing on this forum. I have a hard time with just finding a name let alone as specific as you were. Thanks!

I, too, love the smell of cilantro. That and nasturtium....Garden Path with Chickens might be good if you want an herby, grassy smell...I like it, but isn't quite what I was hoping (it has nasturtium in, but no cilantro)

BTW--if you should try other e-tailers, Elementals Cool Cilantro smells like Gazpacho :P

Thanks, I'll be sure to avoid that. If you find something remotely cilantroish please let me know and I'll do the same. It seems we might be the minority here. :P

if u can ever hunt down a sample of possets sicilian...omG...

tomatoes and cilantro....perfection... i have a bottle that i have

been savoring for over 3 years now and it gets better and better..... :P

Thanks, I'll be sure to avoid that. If you find something remotely cilantroish please let me know and I'll do the same. It seems we might be the minority here. :P

Ooooh, I love cilantro......smelling and eating it. :D I'll be stalking this thead, you betcha'!!

edit to add:

Aw, I have just had a lot of time to practice :P But I am glad that you found those ideas helpful. The more you fiddle around with the search engine the easier it gets - once I got the hang of the tools that let you limit your searches (like just searching one subforum, getting results back as titles, etc.) I got much better results. But any time you find you need help (that goes for everyone!) just PM me or a mod for the section where you're searching, we're here to help.

I find the scent of cilantro and the scent of coriander to be very different, too. Cilantro is very bright and green, almost a little soapy but in a pleasant way. Coriander is sweeter, deeper and spicier to me although there is a little something similar about the two to my nose.

:D at the gazpacho scent, sorry...

I was just curious about this, since I only remember Possets starting up less than two years ago -- was that an early, pre-web scent or did they have a previous storefront or perhaps was it a different brand? I ask because that sounds just freaking amazing! :D The scent of summer.

I'm dying for more herbal/fresh/garden scents. Wet potting soil and coriander seeds (from garden-starting) and fresh leafy cilantro (from chopping it for dinner) is actually what I bet I smell like right this very instant!

I was just curious about this, since I only remember Possets starting up less than two years ago -- was that an early, pre-web scent or did they have a previous storefront or perhaps was it a different brand? I ask because that sounds just freaking amazing! :D The scent of summer.

I'm dying for more herbal/fresh/garden scents. Wet potting soil and coriander seeds (from garden-starting) and fresh leafy cilantro (from chopping it for dinner) is actually what I bet I smell like right this very instant!

It was in like August 2006 - it came out when Fireflies did - I've never smelled it either.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about BPAL with cilantro. Sometimes it smells so good and green and then other times I get this sorta wet mildewy towel smell that I am not real fond of. But then Beth has taken things that I'm convinced would smell weird (Shadwell's scent description comes to mind) and made them yummy! It would be a nice fresh green summery idea tho!

I think it has a tangy, slightly pungent smell....my mom always jokes that she wants to put a sprig of it behind her ear, she loves it so much. I can't imagine a perfume actually capturing that smell, but who knows? the thing is, that I would rather have a cilantro single note, as opposed to a blend. I am sure it would smell nice mixed with citrus and such (like that Pier One candle) but I would just like straight up cilantro!

I might have to go to Baja Fresh as soon as my taste comes back. (stupid flu/ cold/ scurvy/ consumption, or whatever the hell it is)

Ooooh, I love cilantro......smelling and eating it. :D I'll be stalking this thead, you betcha'!!

Me too, me too! I love cilantro and have searched the BPAL forums and Lab website high and low, to no avail. I'll definitely be camped out here in the hopes of some new arrivals for spring...

AFAIK cilantro is when you use the leaves, and coriander is the seeds of the same plant. I thought this was interesting...

"Some people instead perceive an unpleasant "soapy" taste and/or a rank smell. This is believed to be a result of an enzyme that changes the way they taste coriander leaves, a genetic trait, but has yet to be fully researched" (from wikipedia)

So this might be why it smells like mildewed towels for me most of the time?

AFAIK cilantro is when you use the leaves, and coriander is the seeds of the same plant. I thought this was interesting...

"Some people instead perceive an unpleasant "soapy" taste and/or a rank smell. This is believed to be a result of an enzyme that changes the way they taste coriander leaves, a genetic trait, but has yet to be fully researched" (from wikipedia)

it's weird, but true. 2 of my friends really like coriander, which I can't stand. meanwhile I just LOVE cilantro, and they both hate it.

I would be all over a BPAL blend that had a cilantro note in it!

umm..

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cilantro

how is cilantro not coriander?

Here in the UK it's the same thing, but I've heard American people using cilantro for the leaf and coriander for the seed, I think.

The wikipedia entry says exactly that - from the same plant, UK residents will call the parts coriander leaf or coriander seed, but that in the US we call the leaves cilantro and the seed coriander. Nutty Americans. :P That's probably why several Americans have mentioned that cilantro and coriander smell different to them, because to us we're comparing the scent of the leaves to the dried, ground seed.

The enzyme theory is fascinating to me - my in-laws and my husband have always complained that they hate fresh cilantro because it tastes like soap! Maybe they all have that enzyme that makes it taste bad (or lack the enzyme that makes it taste good, the article wasn't specific about that). Nutty Texans.

I'm used to thinking of coriander for baking sweets, to add some spice. When I think of cilantro I think of the fresh leaves (dried cilantro is nearly useless to me), chopped and sprinkled over Indian food or in burritos and/or salsa. I love the taste of fresh cilantro, and I'd be intrigued if it came up in a scented oil. Personally, I think the taste is stronger than the actual scent.

I agree with whoever suggested Garden Path With Chickens....it's the first thing I thought of. While it may not smell like actual cilantro, it does have that zingy green herbal scent.

Edit: Some people refer to cilantro (the leaf) as 'Italian parsley', but I don't know if that's actually the same plant or 2 different ones.

Edited by Forspecial Plate

Italian parsley is an entirely different thing, very similar to curly parsley. It smells nothing at all like cilantro, but it does kinda look a lot like it, I guess.

Maybe Tenochtitlan? I got a little of that feeling from it -- probably the epazote.

I have heard the same thing about broccoli...

I've heard that the reason kids don't like broccoli for the most part is that it's a strong tasting vegetable and their taste buds are sensitive. As we age, our taste buds deaden so we don't find it tastes the same. Me, I really don't love cooked broccoli. Raw is fine. And don't put cauliflower anywhere near me. Blargh.

So yes, this means I am NOT hoping for an April Fool's Scent of Cilantro, Broccoli and Cauliflower with a smidgen of over cooked cabbage....

GAH.

I had a friend who was my age and she hated all broccoli all her life. I have loved cooked broccoli all of mine:) She was the one who told me that it had to do with some enzyme or something and people who had it tasted broccoli as a very unpleasant bitter tasting veggie. I dunno where she got that info. though:) It could be one of those old wive's tales...

I've heard that the reason kids don't like broccoli for the most part is that it's a strong tasting vegetable and their taste buds are sensitive. As we age, our taste buds deaden so we don't find it tastes the same. Me, I really don't love cooked broccoli. Raw is fine. And don't put cauliflower anywhere near me. Blargh.

So yes, this means I am NOT hoping for an April Fool's Scent of Cilantro, Broccoli and Cauliflower with a smidgen of over cooked cabbage....

GAH.

OOOOHHHHH! A cilantro scent to represent St. Pat's Day would be perfect! Maybe with a boozy undertone in the background of a deep ale or lager? YUM :D :P

I agree with the Garden Path with Chickens recommendation, and I don't think you will get anything closer. I have never smelled an oil that compares with fresh cilantro (not corriander!). But after reading this thread, I am craving some Baja Fresh! Darn you people!

Regarding broccoli and cilantro...

An article on how genes effect the way things taste...

PTC, the bitter compound that some people can taste, while other's can't, is found in broccoli, as well as turnips and some other veggies. I have the PTC-tasting gene, and hate raw broccoli.

On topic, I can't think of any scents, BPAL or otherwise, that even come close to approximating cilantro. I would be interested in sniffing one though... I'm among the people that think cilantro tastes like soap, and I've always wondered what people that like cilantro think it tastes like.

Edited by terrenity