Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
heathercaley

Sugar Moon 2008

Sugar cane, blue musk, mahogany, black orchid, black currant, violet, blackberry leaf, teak, strawberry, and dusky rose.

In the vial, it's burnt sugar & plastic.

On me, it's fresh white sugar and a touch of plastic. Oops! There goes the plastic! And here comes something tart.... probably red currant. There is a leafy green in here, maybe strawberry leaf. Musk shows up a bit later to ground the scent.

I really like it. It's sweet/tart and pretty, like Tiki Queens prepubescent niece.

eta scent description. Edited by surlygurl

In the bottle, it's mostly burnt sugar -- not the bad kind, though, but white sugar that's been under a torch or a broiler. It reminded me of the crust of a flan. When I put it on, it's almost as if the sugar recrystallized and became this really sweet combo of sugar and musk. In the span of two hours, it went from that to something slightly fruity, and finally to a fruity floral with the slightest hint of both teak and musk. It's a lot brighter than I thought it'd be, too. It usually lasts around three or four hours on my skin and with minimal throw, but I'll keep it around because of how awesome it morphs on me.

In the bottle: sugar, musk, and lavender. I think the leaves and violet give me the lavender note.

Wet on skin: WOAH. very strong herbal notes at first whiff. This smells like a sweet lavender and florals.

Dry on skin: Still herbally, but thank goodness not as strong. I hardly get sugar, if at all. It still smells like a herbal tea. Maybe warm tea with a few tsp of sugar? I dont know.

Not for me.

THis blend starts out as burnt sugar. It is harsh and almost molasses-like. It dries to currant skins. I will be sending this off to the sale mistress for disposal.

I should love this as I LOVE LOVE LOVE musk, woods, fruits, VIOLET! but this just comes off on me as an overly sweet rosey green mess. I've tried to love it on numerous occasions, pulling it out of the box, dabbing a tiny bit on, but it just over-powers me with syrupy choke-inducing punches and I have to keep my wrist away until it dies down to just a green, vaguley fruity yum. I don't dislike this scent but I have so many like it that it just doesn't stand out on its own.

The bottle art is FAB though. <3.

6/10

I don't know if it has something to do with the fact that this scent has obviously aged by now, or what, but my description is nothing like any of the lovely things I read about this when it was new!

I want to trade skins with half the people up this thread, because the idea of strawberries and sugar, or the toasted caramel-y topping on flan or creme brulee is something I want to wallow in and drench myself!

But alas, I just get soapy fruitcake. :( :( :(

I smelled it in the bottle, and I got that boozy impression someone else did. Like when I was excited about 13 and finally got it and it ended up being a boozy, sticky, spicy-in-a-bad-way mess. I already assumed I wouldn't like it, but come on, it's called SUGAR MOON! I love sugar! I love the moon!

I put it on, and it was still boozy, but I was still suspending disbelief and generously tossing around huge handfuls of The Benefit of the Doubt . In the meantime, someone was taking the booze and the sticky sweet spice-goo and mixing it up in a big bowl. My skin was the oven and here was fruitcake, only nothing like Fruitcake, which oddly enough on me actually does smell good. But someone must have gotten reeeeeeeeally distracted with the booze, because somehow soap got into my fruitcake. :(

Now it's later, and it's even weirder, because everybody ate all the fruitcake and then washed out the pan with copious amounts of MORE SOAP.

I am so sad! I could be one of those people eating sugared strawberries in a springtime field, but instead I've got an empty bottle of booze and some really CLEAN cake pans...

Bottle: Burnt sugar with a floral undertone.

Wet: Burnt sugar with a floral undertone.

Drydown: Faint burnt sugar with a floral undertone.

Dry: Faint burnt sugar.

My rating: 2/5 It's pleasant, but I've got a bunch of Sugar Skulls for burnt sugariness. XD

Sugar sugar sugar. Then a little more sugar with a dash of sugar. =) Very sweet scent - slight burnt quality to it and a definite hint of booze. Its definitely lickable. Its sexy in a "come hither" kind of way. I can picture a high class lady of the night wearing this. I know my guy sure loves it. Every time I have it on he kisses my neck and says "I like this one." WIN. :D

Once the update was announced, decided to try the 2008 imp I've had sitting around until I got to it. It had been on my "iffy" list due to some notes I've had issues with in the past and, after trying it today, for good reason. Sugar cane and mahogany just don't like me. Period. This started out as maple syrup with an ashy undertone, and now it's just sickeningly sweet cologne on top of ashy wood. Bleh.

Don't think I'll be ordering the update.

So with the new Sugar Moon '10 i needed to restest this baby ('08 )to see if i really need another bottle.

Wet: Yummy sugar with something light in it.

Dry: Dusty brown sugar.

After 30mins: you know that Lush soap Rock Star, it smells a bit like that on me, it's soft gentle and dusty, this was one of the first scents i bought from BPAL when i just started (i bought them by name :D) )i like it enough to take the new version) as for this version would be nice for cozy nights.

Edited by Icekitten

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet. Sugar Moon '08 is in my top 10.

Wet: super duper uber sweet maple sugar (think Maple Sugar Candy)

Later: Honestly, this one doesn't morph on me, which is super because I love it. The only difference I find between wet and dry is the throw: this calms down quite nicely. At some point I can detect the Mahogany (which I LOVE), but that's it. I LOVE this. 5++/5

I honestly hope that the 2011 Sugar Moon isn't flowery...

In the bottle: This smells a bit like cough syrup mixed into perfume. There is a very sharp, fake fruity note.

Wet: It's not really like cough syrup on my skin, but mostly sharp floral and green notes.

Dry down: The same, but with the addition of baby powder. After a minute the violet peeks out and brings a tiny bit of soapiness to the mix. The sugar is still nowhere to be found. (I guess my skin really does not like cool scents.)

After a few minutes the blend calms down, and the violet and powdery notes become pleasant enough, just not for me. And I really wish I could have gotten even a dash of sugar in this.

Later: This oil is morphing quite a bit! Finally a sweet, blue musk comes out, and while it's nice, it still doesn't work for me. But I would recommend this to someone who likes clean floral scents.

Edited by whataboutprom

I really, really, really liked Sugar Moon- but every time I wore it I had to reslather several times a day and honestly, as pretty as it was (caramelly melted sugar), it just wasn't worth the work.

rose is not a note that works on me at all but here it plays nice and doesn't bother me at all. this is a very sweet, ethereal, feminine scent. i totally agree with werekitten, who got a lavender-like vibe from the blue musk; it's quite nice. it's maybe the tiniest bit powdery as it dries, but the flowers and fruit stays nice and fresh. sugar moon used to be in heavy rotation for me but i left it alone for a while; now i think it will come back! it smells even better in combination with my 'lavender sugar' moisturizer.

i got to try this at a BPAL-sniffing party this weekend :D at first i got a sugary note mixed with a sharp wood note. guess that's the mahogany or teak. i didn't like it at first, but once the sharp wood note settled down, it was kind of nice. at this point, i think i was getting mostly the sugar cane and blue musk. i really couldn't detect the florals or fruits separately. it was just a coolish musk mixed with sugar. an interesting scent, that started off kind of unisex but became more typically feminine by the end.

Wet: .... Uh? Hello? Is anyone there? This does NOT show up on my skin wet, at ALL!

Dry: Oh, there you are! This is a sweet musky scent, with a touch of fruit in the background. I wish the fruits were a bit more dominant, but it's still a great blend. I'm just not sure how "me" this scent is... I need to decide whether I want to keep this or not.

3.5/5

In the bottle: A heady, sweet smell. I can smell the sugar cane, currant and strawberry.

Wet: Goes on strong, with a lot of throw - even with just a tint drop on my wrist. Reminds me of a humid night - it's kind of a heavy smell on me. Sweet, but not sickly so. I'm really liking it a lot.

In my scent locket: Smells very similar to the bottle, a sweet smell that I keep catching wonderful whiffs of all day.

Drying down: It's mellowing out so nicely, the musk is starting to come into play, but it's very mild and soft. I can make out the fruits and the woods, but I have no clue where the flowers are, because I can't smell either. (And I love violets!)

Completely dry, after an hour: This has lovely staying power, I can still smell it there when sniffing my wrist. It's a lovely sweetness on me, with some really nice fruit accents. One of my favorites so far, both on my skin and in my locket. I am so glad I have two bottles of this, as it will be a go-to often!

This is wonderful! I'm not sure what blue musk smells like but I'll keep a look out for it now. This is sweet, sweet burnt sugar with rosé and strawberry playing very nicely in the background. You would think this would be kinda foody but its not maybe the blue musk keeps it from being foody. It's very soft and sexy! I wish I could bathe in this! It's yummy!! :wub2: I already have two bottles but I'm thinking I need more.

I took a chance with this because musk is my death note. It's a very sweet, leafy, boozy sugary scent on me. On my skin it's very soft and not as strong or boozy as the bottle suggests. I can smell the rose in the background but luckily it's not too powerful.A very pretty smell :)

Ohoh, this one is quite an interesting morpher on me :lol:

Wet: Hello sugared strawberries, how nice you are! :luv2: Musk and violets pay theirs homage as well, blending together with the orchid.

Dry:I feel like my skin became a warfield for the strawberries, violets and the rose. Each of them want the shining crown haha. The musk prefer to hide itself.

After 1h: All hail the rose! It reign over them all for almost a hour straight ... <_< at least, it did not turned to soap, yeah! :joy:.The musk is somewhat powdery. with a verrrryyy faint burned sugar note

X hours later: lolwut? Something akin to creme brulée appeared!!! XD There is no floral anymore! The sugar won!

This is probably the weirdest of my perfume! Not much is needed, a few drops is enough! Still pretty nice <3