Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
heathercaley

Sugar Moon 2008

Sugar cane, blue musk, mahogany, black orchid, black currant, violet, blackberry leaf, teak, strawberry, and dusky rose.

In the imp: Burnt sugar, very faint...is my nose broken?

Wet on skin: Sugar with a faint background of florals

Dry on skin: This went through quite a metamorphosis: from faint sugared florals, to half an hour of sugared Play-doh (?), to warm, musky, sugared currants with a hint of florals (I can normally identify both rose and orchid, but not here).

The final dry phase is quite lovely and lasts about 4 hours before fading back into its original faint, sugared florals. Not once did I detect the wood notes, which is very odd because they normally amp on me. This was very delicate, receiving what depth it did have from the musk.

Edited to add scent description Edited by Mezzo

what the blue hell?

i get straight up dryer sheets...strong dryer sheets...odd because none of the usual culprits are in this blend!

it makes me wanna xcry, but off to swaps with you...

Fresh sugar and handfuls of green initally, this smells clean and forresty. Drying out it is dusty pink and sweet, lots of strawberry, but with an undeniable melencholia floral/wood blend. It smells nothing like sugar skull to me, more like Villainess' Neisthai.

Wet -- sugar! Not the maple/brown sugar of Sugar Skull but white sugar. Mixed in with the sugar is what must be blue musk, a cologne-like note. This smells like something non-edible so it is interesting with the sugar. The next notes I notice are the woods. They smell kind of brown and rich. Together with the sugar the woods smell a bit like the chestnut note in Judith Victorious but not quite so strong. The blackberry leaf and strawberry are delicate green and fruity notes in the background.

Dry -- the sugar note lessens and I'm left with this gorgeous, amazing perfume. It seems sexy but without trying to be. Sometimes the blue musk note seems to stand out too much and I don't like that but sometimes the other notes make the blue musk delicious. Like many bpal scents it is different on different days.

Drydown -- I don't really know how to characterize this scent. It does have a pronounced sugar note but you couldn't call it a foodie scent. No way is it a floral scent. There are green notes but it does not smell at all herbal. At times I catch a whiff of sugar or the soft, sweet blackberry leaf or the sharper blue musk. It fades quite a bit after two hours and is almost gone at four hours (but my skin soaks up scent quickly). People won't smell it across the room but they will if they stand close to you.

Bottle: A sweet pink, floral scent. I was expecting sugar closer to that in sugar skull, but this is a cleaner, whiter sugar. The combo of sweetened florals and pink fruits smells a LOT like Pink Moon '05.

Wet: Oh wow, yeah, a lot like Pink Moon '05. The exception is the quality of the sugar--the sugar in pink moon is like pink cotton candy sugar, and this is just a pure white sugary sweetness along with pink springy florals and fruits.

Dry: This is where Sugar Moon and Pink '05 diverge. This starts to get a much more pronounced "berry" quality, which takes the balance away from the florals. I think the predominant berry is the blackberry or currant, rather than the strawberry--its darker and more purple/red. The florals take the background.

Overall: A sweet, fruity blend with hints of floral. Very much similar to Pink Moon '05, but I like PM a bit better. This one goes a bit too far in the direction of darker berries for my tastes.

Oooh, I /love/ this scent!

In the bottle, I only get the sugarcane.

Wet on skin: Sugarcane, with fruity goodness.

Dry on skin: The sugarcane has backed off, and is now playing nicely with the fruits. The blackberry leaf has come up a little bit, giving this a wonderfully grounded feel. I don't really get any of the orchid (which is a good thing, considering it ruined Lune Noire for me). In fact, the florals aren't really making an appearance that I can detect, but I think they're helping ground this scent, and preventing this from going into gross sweetness levels.

Verdict: I'm glad I got to track down a bottle. :wub2:

It was sweet sugarcane in the bottle, but when i put it on it was immediately woodsy sweet and then smoky while wet. I think i can blame the teak for this, though it wasnt necessarily bad, just unexpected. I was enjoying the scent metamorphosis, and the POOF, gone. My skin ATE IT. Seriously, It is vaguely sweet smelling on my wrist now but barely there. I only have a partial bottle of this, i may put it in a scent locket...I love the smell.

I have a 5ml bottle of this which I bought purely going on the notes in it. This is now my fave of the bottles that I currently have (my fave was Snow White, but I think I wore it too much and am getting a bit sick of it now! :blush: )

It does start off quite sugary which I do not like, but even the sugar is not the candy sweet sickly sugar smell, it's more "cooked" which is bearable for me until.....the violets and musk come through! :wub2: Oh beautiful violets and blue musk!!! I love this.

It does last a reasonable length of time (3 or 4 hours) and has reasonable throw (hubby walked past me and went "mmmm...you smell nice" without me getting him to stick his nose into my neck).

Based on this lovely scent, I'm now searching for more with blue musk and violets in it. Message me if you can think of any ;)

I bought this bottle on a whim, and I really like it <3

In the bottle:

At first sniff, this smelled like very badly burnt sugar mixed with strawberry leaves-- a definite cooking disaster.

Wet:

This smells like brown sugar now, with a floral muskiness lurking underneath. Within ten minutes, though, the brown sugar scent has faded to the background, and it's a lovely, sensual floral scent with an extra kick of sweetness. It bears almost no resemblance to the scent in the bottle, to tell the truth.

An hour later:

The musk has taken center stage now, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm not really catching the orchid (perhaps because I'm not too familiar with it as a note), but the violet scent is prominent, as well. The rose is lurking in the background, and complements the other scents nicely.

Several hours later:

It's still the musk-and-violets-with-a-hint-of-rose, but the brown sugar has reappeared, and the strawberry has started to come out, making this scent both

Eighteen hours later:

This perfume has some serious lasting power. I applied it at six o'clock in the evening, right after hopping out of the shower, and I went to a dinner party, fell asleep for a few hours, cooked burritos from 1h00 to 7h00-- I must have washed my hands and arms at least fifteen times, if not more-- and then fell asleep until noon. And when I sat down to finish writing this, I could still catch a whiff of this scent. Over the course of twelve hours, though, the musk has faded, and the violets and sugared strawberries are the main components.

Overall:

I ordered this based on its name alone, with barely a glance at the notes, and I think it proved a good choice. I really adore the drydown, where both the sweet and sultry notes blend seamlessly into an interesting, unusual, and gorgeous whole. I'm especially glad that the strawberry note worked out-- I was afraid that it might turn into something saccharine and disgusting on me, but it's merely another nice component in one of Beth's gorgeous blends. Definitely the best spur-of-the-moment-purchase I've made in a while :3

Picked up an imp of this from an LJ sale, just out of curiosity.

In the imp:. Glitter. Glitter and... acetone? It's like Eau de Fruity Nail Polish Remover. This is not a good first impression.

Wet: Okay, that chemical whiff is gone, and now it's just really reminiscent of Glitter, if someone had tamed it and tied it down. Strange, since there's no d'anjou pear in this blend. Must be the strawberry. Very sweet, almost cloyingly-so, with something floral beneath.

Drydown: Well hello there, musk! Nice of you to make an appearance. It's still a very pink blend, and the throw is all Sweet Tarts. But when I get close to my skin, I can smell the richness of the currant and musk, and a woody note grounding it all.

Overall, it's pretty - very pink, very girly. Just not for me.

I've wanted this for a while, and finally got a bottle. It does remind me a lot of Sugar Skull/Red Lantern... but a lighter, more "daytime" version. The sugar and musk are the main notes for me, and I sometimes get the woods and floral notes... it seems to fade fast on my skin though - I've already re-applied, and it's only been 3 hours. Will wait and see if it's a keeper...

ive been wearing it for the past few days and all ive been getting from this one is musks and sugar.

i do love the bottle and the blend though. sugary and slightly fruity initially in the bottle. nothing like when its worn.

So I have an aged 5ml of this, and I decided to wear some today and it is straight up YSL Opium on me. A little unexpected, but nice.

Starts off nice, all sugared flowers. But after a few minutes a strange green note comes out. Ok. And this is when it starts to go bad on me. Now it smells like a vegetable drawer. WTH???

And it dries down to....vegetables and a perfume counter. Safe to say, not for me. :(

Oh how I love this stuff...When first applied I got the same Sugar Skull note as many others which didn't bode well as me and the 'Skull don't get along.After only a few minutes the fruit and flowers began to peek through and as it dried a sweet powdery note began to emerge.It smelled very familiar and I racked my brains trying to figure out what it was and then it hit me: the drydown smells exactly like Hanae Mori Butterfly...on me at least :wub2:

Edited by catwoman30

This came as a swap frimp from the extremely generous sharybaby.

In the imp: Strangely enough... this reminds me of the smell of the liquid that's used to make snow cones. You know, the stuff you want to drink straight from the bottle, because it's cherry-flavored and made of pure sweetness?

On my skin: Sugar and honey. The sugar is strong, and maybe a bit sour, but not in a bad way. Now that it's drying, I can smell the violets... and blueberry? Interesting!

In the bottle it's sharp, a somewhat spicy musk?

On me I get a lot of musk, and it turns slightly woodsy.. This isn't a sweet scent at all, as I was hoping it would be. It's more of a dark and slightly powdery scent.. Ah well. :(

Sugar Moon 2008

Sugar cane at first, to the exclusion of all else. Then, what I'm guessing is the blue musk and blackberry leaf. This is not as sweet as I had expected... it's actually sort of musky/woodsy/herbal. It's nice, but not my type of scent.

Edited by Gin

In the bottle: Sugar Skull with powdery floral notes

Wet: Woaaahhhhhh SUGAR! Super sweet, carmalized sugar, dripping, gooey...sticky sugar. Yikes :ack: In the background I can detect some soft floral notes and musk (?) I'm not exactly sure what blue musk is supposed to smell like.

Dry: This gets a lot better as it dries, it's A LOT more powdery now (blue musk and "dusky" rose?) I'm not detecting any strawberry or blackberry leaf. The violet is there, sugared and sweet.

Overall: This may be a bit *too* sweet and powdery for my nose. I've had this bottle sticking around for a while now and I'm still unsure. I'll have to let it age another year before I decide what to do with it. Dry is much better than the wet phase but it still might be a bit too cloying for me. I want to like it so much though! :cry2:

In the bottle is almost smells too sweet -- all rich caramelized sugar with a hint of something floral behind it.

Wet, it smells entirely like creme brulee -- richly burned sugar, ahoy!

The rich sugary smell dissipates very quickly on me letting the fruity, musky, and floral notes come out. At first I thought it was settling into grape soda -- a combination of fruits and rose on me, apparently. Then a rosy musky scent. I keep sniffing my wrists and just can't tell where it is settling, even after 30 minutes. One sniff is totally grape soda and the next is warm and musky. While I'm a big fan of foodie smells, I'm not sure how I feel about this grape soda tendency.

First off, I love the label art. Jus' sayin'. I have a cold, so my notes might be a little off, but I'll do my best.

In the Bottle: Syrupy sugar, berries, and some kind of light sweet floral.

Wet: The same. It reminds me of the crunchy top of creme brulee, topped with berries and a little garnish of pale flowers. Very feminine.

Dry: A little smoother, but still that same sweet sugar note with a background of berries and floral notes. After about an hour, it smells like sugared strawberries. It's lovely. I wish I got the blue musk though.

Out of 10: 7

Just got my hands on a decant of this, eager to try it out. In the decant, I get cane sugar and really sweet fruit. On my skin, the maple sugar aspect of it amps, with a sweet fruit/floral undertone. Oh, wow, this is good. Gonna need to track down a bottle of this.

Edited by Venneh

In this bottle this is a deep, dark and sticky scent - very complex and hard to pin any particular notes down; though there are some florals amongst the heavy stickiness. On my skin it is a deep sugar, almost like brown sugar and molasses, though there are hints of sweeter florals behind it, almost like a delicate boquet sitting next to a bowl of brown sugar, with maybe some juicy fruit scents peeking through. After a few hours, it becomes quite delicate and lovely - a very light musky sweetness with a few juicy sweet notes lingering. Gorgous.

In imp: sugar cane and musk

Wet: Sugar cane, musk and some light florals behind it

Drydown: Sweet musky scent, similar to Giant Vulva.

Later: Faded within an hour, with only a touch of musk left.