heathercaley

Sugar Moon 2008

SUGAR MOON
No way to see him
on this moonless night ---
I lie awake longing, burning,
breasts racing fire,
heart in flames.

Sugar cane, blue musk, mahogany, black orchid, black currant, violet, blackberry leaf, teak, strawberry, and dusky rose.

Smut??? Why do I smell sugar smut? Interesting.

In the bottle It really does smell boozy. I came back and re-read the description because I could've sworn that I didn't see any booze notes in here.

On my skin, it's a sugar whiskey scent. That must be the fruity strawberry playing with the mahogany teak and florals with sugar sweetening it up. Isn't that the components in makin' booze anyway? It really matches with the swarthy bottle art. Sexy and innocent. The sharp florals play perfectly with the woody tones. Warm and cool. This is a total sex kitten scent.

This is like a violet Red Lantern with some Black Moon thrown in to mix it up. After looking at the notes again, I can kind of get the feeling of the presence of all of them, but the violet/orchid/blue musk and burnt sugar are predominant on me. As it dries something a little fruitier comes out...definitely a little tart, bitter blackberry leaf with a pinch of strawberry. I don't detect any rose but feel its presence.

It has an air of sophistication the maple-sugar scents always seem to lack for me. However, I'm not quite sure what to think of Sugar Moon just yet. Part of it smells delicious, and part of it just does not appeal to me. But then again, I am not the type who likes Red Lantern and Sugar Skull.

For those who love smokey, sweet, sugar scents should like this one.

In the bottle/wet on skin: musky sugar, lighter than Sugar Skull but in the same family.

As it dries: I can see why this was compared to Midnight on the Midway by some at Will Call. I'd also put Fairy Market in the same sugary/sweet floral category. Sugar Moon, however, has that lovely cool blue musk in it instead of that green note in Fairy Market. I can pick out the orchid, but the other notes have yet to make themselves known. Overall, though, Sugar Moon is very pretty and delicate in a way that other BPAL sugar blends aren't. It's a lovely way to segue from the heavier blends of winter into something lighter and more airy for spring. Beautiful!

Edited: this morning, the strawberry and violet are blooming a bit more. I think this blend is going to be out of sight with some age behind it.

Edited by Iceblink

In the bottle and upon application I get burnt sugar and sweet wood smoke with a hint of strawberry and currant. Rather like Al Azif meets Strawberry Moon and it's working beautifully =) As it wears(and wears well, I might add), the strawberry reveals itself more, along with sugar cane and a hint of musk. The wood notes hover gently in the background, like an anchor that keeps the blend from becoming too light(for me). Not getting any of the florals which is fine-black orchid works, violet and rose, not so much, so yay for that :D

I agree with Purrsnikety's sex kitten scent comment, and btw, so does the husband :P

Loving this one! Definitely worthy of a backup bottle!

Today, right out of the bottle, I got sweet sugar (almost like syrup) and cheap men's cologne, yuck. I'm hoping maybe it's just 'cause it's a really fresh bottle and that part will calm down... must retest after a bit of aging.

In bottle: perfumey musk

On skin: sugary dusty musk

Half-hour later: up-close the florals have strengthened, especially orchid and violet. The woody notes are up-close too but aren't too strong, just adding a bit of dust. The waft is beautiful, sweetened light musk

In conclusion: blue musk is a new ingredient for me, light and pretty, and it owns this blend. I'm glad the sugar didn't amp strongly on me, as it does in Sugar Skull and Chanukkiyah. A cute & girly blend.

Wow, this is pretty. There's a strong boozy note at the start, tempered by strawberry plants (berries, stems, leaves and all). And there's something kind of dark and murky about it. Conceptually, the smell of this reminds me of Bewitched... hidden underneath sweetness are thorns and darkness. This is *not* an overwhelmingly sugary, sweet scent on me. The currant is tart and the leaf notes are strong and bring the dusting of sugar down to earth. Scent-wise, it reminds me a bit of the beginning stage of The Jersey Devil - that beautiful, complex, fruity-earthy-leafy smell, which thrills me, as The Jersey Devil went quickly into potpourri territory on me. But Sugar Moon remains tart and leafy on me for quite a while. Love it! Rose-haters, fear not. I don't smell the rose at all. :P

Wet: sugary, a little boozy. Definitely a maple flavor. In fact it reminds me of the Macallan Amber liquor.

Dry: it's way too dark! :P It's not overly dark, but there's an aftertaste of darkness that just doesn't work for me. I'm so disappointed.

In the bottle I kept smelling something plantlike with an edge, and then I realized it was one of the notes in Swedish Bitters (the digestive). I'm thinking maybe myrrh, even though it's not in the description. Very very sweet in the bottle, a little maple-y. Wet, not as sweet, and I amp whatever that bitters note is. Ends up a dusky sweet floral that vanishes on me quickly. The hubby likes it so it's a keeper. :P

The sugar note in this reminds me of Sugar Skull (dark and a little bit maple-syrup-like) along with a blast of strawberry. After it dries down the blue musk comes out quite strongly and makes the scent more ethereal. Blue musk smells a little bit like lavender to me with none of the bitterness that lavender sometimes has.

The far drydown is a lingering trace of strawberry.

When I first put this on I get celery and sugar. After about ten minutes the strawberry comes out, and something is reminding me of Red Lantern, almost a caramel, but not quite.

A half hour or so after drying it's a very pretty, springy strawberry, which makes me very happy because I haven't gotten along with many of the moons I've tried. This is going to be a great spring and summer scent. Definitely a keeper! :P

First Sniff:

Red Lantern and Snake Oil mixed with something more sugary. I don't want to say Vanilla but maybe caramel vanilla? More then just the caramel in Red Lantern.

Wet:

Oofta. It's like Sugar Skull with the burntness but there's definitely a musky undertone. It's actually a bit like Perversion but with more sugar and less seediness. It's very gourmand.

Dry:

Sugar Skull/Red Lantern with musk. Seriously I can't get over how much this is like the aforementioned scents, it really takes the best of both and meshes them together with a pinch of snake oil. The musk is VERY potent on me however, I have to really sniff myself to catch the other notes.

Aftermath:

Well I like it enough but the musk is just so so strong for me. I don't know if my body amps musk or if that's the actual scent...but try it if you're looking for a version of red lantern with musk!

From the pre-test I couldn't help doing on the back of my arm while unpacking, it's absolutely gorgeous so i'm looking forward to the real testing.

Sugary-boozy in the bottle, but once it gets on my skin it smells like ...wait...celery? I missed that stage in the pre-test.

It doesn't stay in that stage for long though, soon it sweetens and the sugar comes out, with a little whiff of violet waaay in the back, more like a gentle cool coloring than anything else. It goes through a couple more subtle incarnations before it settles on strawberry without being sweet or heavy. I absolutely love it! It's gorgeous on me.

In the bottle, it smells like cologne. I can't say what type, exactly, except that my dad wore it when I was little. Not very helpful, I know. As soon as I apply it, I smell something that is either brown sugar or maple syrup, depending on the sniff. It's all brown sugar cologne for a while, very woody and dry except for the syrup overtone.

I was worried that the strawberry would turn plastic on me, but it doesn't. It comes out after about ten minutes, just sweetening things up with a soft, subtle glow. The teak, which is what made it smell so much like cologne to me, retreats into the background and it's all mellow strawberries and thick sugar with a hint of something herbal and green around the edges--the blackberry leaf, maybe.

It's sweet, but not edging into girly. There's powdery musk and dark woods in the background, making this almost unisex. The strawberry is delicious and I love it so much more than I expected to. I'm not getting any florals, which despite my love of violet is just fine by me. I think they may be somewhere in the background, bridging the gap between the woods and the sugared strawberry.

I'm kind of in love with this blend.

I *adore* this blend...it smells like the yummy burned sugar on a creme brulee blended with musk and delicious woods. When I first apply, the sugar is incredibly strong, but after an hour or so it calms down and all the scents meld into an incredibly mellow, warm, musky scent. I'm seriously in love with it and kicking myself for only buying one bottle.

It's a nice compromise between feminine and masculine - not too sweet and not too woodsy, and every now and then I get a terrific whiff of what is unmistakeably strawberry leaf.

At first I get something reminiscent of Red Lantern. But Red Lantern without the opium and coconut. No fruits at first. The sugar is caramelized. Nice.

As it dries it gets sooo much better! The sugar is white and fresh. There are strawberries in the background. Far in the background, behind the warm rich woody notes. It is not the candy strawberries, like in Bon Vivant that give me a headache, but nice fresh ripe sliced ones in a dish. I do not, NOT like overly foody scents (Eat Me I am looking at you!), but I really like this. One bottle may not be enough.

Oh! I have it! Okay here is what this feels like… It is a warm Spring day, you are sitting outside in fresh clean (not ozoney) air. You have a fine dark wooden unfinished bowl with fresh just ripe sliced strawberries sprinkled with just the right amount of granulated sugar.

Oh, I amp rose in the worst way, and I get NO rose.

Sugar moon on me smells like if Smut (2008) had an offspring with Red Lantern (that carmel smell :D )

There is an almost foody scent to it in the bottle but once its on it fades away almost instantly. Instead I get a yummy woody-blackberry scent thats really divine. I put some in my hair and kept finding excuses to lean over and smell it in my hair :P The strawberry also pokes into focus for a bit before vanishing again.

4.5/5 (Just because I wish it were a tad sweeter)

Wet, it's sugar and musk. Not a caramelized sugar, but the white granulated (or perhaps powdered) kind. As it dries down, the strawberries come out to play. Later, it's gently floral (but not too sweetly floral) and then just very soft and light - summery! I can't pick out the woods in the blend, but I do think they help keep the sugar and fruits from going overly sweet on me.

SUGAR MOON

In Bottle: Berry and sugar... almost like Sugar Skulll

On Skin: Has the sugary booziness of Sugar Skull but not too fruity... there's more of a skin musk to it. It's gorgeous and sweet! I wish I bought 10 bottles!!! I was worried about the currant since sometimes it goes the way of blackberry on me and turns to cat pee. None of there here thank heavens. The sugar cane is pure yum, the musk is close to the skin and soft, the mahogany is dark yet deep and inviting. The orchid and violet are sweet florals that really give this scent another dimension and keep it from being too foody. I don’t smell the rose, which is fine by me, and the strawberry, currant and blackberry leaf give just the right tint of fruitiness. Dark, yummy sugar love! The throw is sadly light and it fades on me super quick. I must slather!! I love this lunacy!!!!

Edited by slave1

In bottle:

Sweet musky scent

On skin:

ooh, too strong. Very sharp smell, not sweet at all, goes almost detergenty.

BUMMER!!

My god I love this blend. It occupies the same odd space that Bad Luck Woman Blues does for me. A collection of notes that blends so wonderfully and so tasty that I have to forcibly pull my nose away from my wrists!

*off to the Wanted section!*

In the Bottle: Burnt sugar (like the good burnt sugar on creme brulee) and something else I can't identify. I'm looking forward to smelling it on the skin.

On the Skin: Oh dear god, make it stop! This smells disgusting on me. :P Not since last July's 13 has something smelled this awful on me. It smells like badly burnt sugar, cheap scented candle, and a funky head shop that hasn't been cleaned since the 60s. Oh, and now some strawberry air freshener on top of it all. :D I'm going to go wash it off and then try and find someone who will give it a good home. So sad... I was so excited for this one.

Hmm, very interesting. I get a very light mix of sugar cane, black currant, dusty rose, and very faint strawberry. I can see where the Red Lantern idea comes from the initial application, but then that fades right away for me. I don't get any hints of Snake oil. I think this one might be headache-inducing if applied too strongly.

ETA: after having it longer, it no longer reminds me at all of Red Lantern. Also, when I asked my husband how I smell he said "Ok, but there is a note underneath that seems off."

I still like it though.

Edited by Megank4

This is sooooo sexy! On me this is a very smoky black currant with hints of sugar cane and strawberry. To sum it up- smoky berries with a sexy bite. It lasts forever on my skin and has great throw. All day yesterday I was saying "what is that lovely smell wafting...oh, it's me!"- it really creates a lovely scent cloud around you without having to use a lot of oil (I was testing it so there was only a tiny drop on my skin). This is probably my favorite lunacy blend since Singing Moon, it's definitely not to be missed!

This is very interesting, and I mean that in a good way. On me, it's tart berries and dry woods. I think the label art really captures the spirit of the blend -- Sugar Moon is bawdy and playfully sexy. It teases you, and then makes you come back for another whiff. Strangely, I'm not getting any sugar out of this, but I don't really miss it because I like the blend I have so much. I predict that this one is going to be very sought after, but I'm going to keep this one and enjoy it.

4.5/5