Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Nature spirits and protectors of the world's groves and forests that appear as breathtakingly beautiful women. Hamadryads are born into a tree that serves as both a home and an anchor for the creature's soul. They are sometimes tricksters, sometimes seducers, sometimes helpful and benign, but they are always fierce and furious protectors of the natural world. Seven dry woods with mossy lichen and a gentle breeze of forest flowers.

ohhhh goodness... I love this oil! It is a very soft scent, woods and flowers (not heavy flowers though). I smell cinnamon initialy but it fades quickly. This is my perfect soft, cozy, everyday scent. I don't have to worry about overpowering others when I wear this.

This is my "I smell good" oil as opposed to "this oil smells good".

I'll need a vat of this one.

:P This one smelled like bitter bitter cinnamon as soon as I put it on. It got stronger the longer I wore it. I love cinnamon and all, but this was just a bit too much for me. Into the swap pile it goes!

First sniff: Greenness sprinkled with cinnamon. If you put a cinnamon tree in the middle of a deep, dark forest, that’s my idea of Hamadryad.

Wearing: This is a lot more spice-intensive than I expected. It’s nice, but the scent on my skin doesn’t at all say forest to me. It faded pretty quickly and didn’t seem to shift from the initial cinnamon… a scent I don’t mind, but don’t really want to smell like.

My body chemistry does funky things with cinnamon and woody notes. So my experience with Hamadryad went something like this:

First, I smelled like cinnamon.

Next, I smelled like a piece of wood.

After that, I smelled like a cinnamon-y piece of wood.

Then I went back to smelling like cinnamon.

Goddamn I hate my body chemistry sometimes.

(edited for grammar)

Edited by tempete

This smelled very sophisticated to me in the bottle- sweet and spicy and woody.

On my skin the same scent families were present, in an incesensy-potpurri kind of way (not a bad thing!). I didn't get much cinnamon, just an overall warmness. As it dried it became more complex and quite lovely.

In the end, this one was a bit too grown up for me- I agree w/the previous reviewer who said it was something she could imagine her mother in law wearing (and I love my mother in law, so again not a bad thing!). I really, really like it, though, and if I smelled it on someone else I'd ask what that scent was.

First Sniff:

The woods…but there’s cinnamon here, too. It’s a confusing sort of combination for my nose, but not an unpleasant one. I love cinnamon and I love woodsy scents, so this is actually very nice. I’m getting a sort of mental picture of Little Red Riding Hood bringing a basket of snickerdoodles to her grandma’s house, which is wholly unlike me, strangely enough. I don’t normally get mental images from scents, unless it’s a memory that’s been dredged up through the association.

Wet on Skin:

The woodsy scent is getting stronger, overwhelming Little Red Riding Hood and her basket of cookies. It’s almost primal smelling, but oddly comforting at the same time. I love the woodsy scent of this, but I can tell it’s trying to change on me again already.

Dry Down:

The cinnamon scent has returned, but the woods have stayed strong, too. The result is spicy and earthy and woodsy all in one and I love it! I think maybe it reminds me of something because I keep getting a sense of déjà vu when I catch a whiff of it…I don’t know what, or who, it is that it reminds me of, though.

The bottom line:

A lovely, unexpected scent. I never would have thought that deep woods and cinnamon would go so beautifully together, but they do. I feel warm and contented wearing this, even though I can’t shake the feeling that I know this scent from somewhere. This is definitely a keeper, might even have to get myself a big bottle. :P

*swoon*

Oh, I love love love this! I had to order an imp after reading everyone's descriptions and it's everything I hoped it would be.

In the bottle I smell a lovely green woody floral, and on my skin it keeps all of that and adds a delicate spiciness. Gorgeous! :P

Gosh, I love love love this one!

Smells green and mossy with a thin thread of white flowers wafting in and out and all the while, there is the amazing core of spicy cinnamon which anchors the oil :P

I feel so cozy when I wear this and nothing smells quite like this one but yet, it compliments so many other fragrances...it goes well as others have mentioned with Lush's Flowertub and Gavarnie soap and their Pied de Pepper lotion as well.

It is very calming and when you feel spun-out, give Hamadryad a whirl!

I always get asked what I have on when I wear it.

This is definitely a big bottle for me down the road :D

In the vial

Cinnamon and nutmeg hit me first. Then I get the wood underneath. I've never worn a woody scent before, so this'll be new and different. :P

Wet

The cinnamon's gone crazy and it's engulfing me. But after a moment, the wood and nutmeg rise up to bring it under control. Thank goodness. I like the smell of cinnamon. I like the taste of cinnamon as a spice, but that was kinda strange. I'm starting to get the whiffs of moss underneath the wood. Very nice.

Drydown

The moss has faded into the background. It's hard to pick it out. It's mostly cinnamon and woodiness at this point, but there's a spiciness that I've having a hard time trying to pick out and identify. It seems to be playing peekaboo with my nose.

Final Thoughts

Apparently my skin really really likes woody scents. I never would have guessed. The florals never came out on me. I'm not sure if that's a result of my skin chemistry or just that the woodiness really came out and drowned it out, especially if it's as soft as the others have said. I think this would make a nice room scent, but it doesn't suit me. I don't mind the earthiness, but it's very dry on me. No florals and none of the wetness other people cited came out on me at all. Weird.

Very strong cinnamon at first, but a scent which reminds me that cinnamon is actually a tree bark – not a pumpkin-pie sort of spice at all. The other woods (cedar? no sandalwood, I think, which makes me so happy) come out later but are still warmed by the spice – the flowers never arrive.

This is the second of the ‘nymph’ scents that is a great work-scent for me. Lasts well in my hair – completely enjoyable, and it’s very possible this will be my second 5ml bottle.

Right out of the envelope I could smell cinnamon and I got a bit scared. I'm not a huge cinnamon fan. But I'm game to try whatever scents the kindness of strangers wafts my way.

After gingerly unwrapping the vial, more of the woody scents come forward. Is that redwood? There are also some faint florals competing for attention that give it a sort of funky woodsy smell.

First impression: More cinnamon on the skin. Perhaps that's redwood? Nope. Cinammon. Sort of funky combination of woods and flowers. OUCH! Itchy. Have to wash it off after about five minutes. (I tried to keep in on to see if the itching would subside, but OW!) Crook of elbow is splotchy RED and the discoloration is lingering still.

My office smells like Hamadryad, which isn't bad although I don't think I'll be keeping it as a room scent. Too overbearing. Some manly men might care for it. I think it could safely be classified as a gender-neutral scent.

LATER THAT SAME DAY ...

Hamadryad is still lingering around despite much washing and a couple of scrubs with Ivory Soap. The dissipated smell is nicer than the upfront scent. I do like that smell, whatever it is. This is why I kept sniffing the crook of my arm while driving dontcha know. Still, I don't love it well enough to keep it.

This imp of Hamadryad has been adopted and is now in an appreciative home getting much love.

Edited by yellowrose

Lots of cinnamon, absolutely. But it didn't overwhelm my nose with "red hots!!" the way Tintagel did. It smelled quite like a spice-scented holiday candle, actually. There's a rather sophisticated floral emerging after a few hours. I enjoy the mix, at least enough to use the Imp again. Would be a good one to wear to a Christmas party.

In the vial, and wet, I was *so* excited about this one. It smelled like I thought Sin would smell on me (when, in fact, Sin turned promptly into cinnamon pencil shavings). This was cinnamony and rich, definite woods and soft grasses, and I was just adoring it, and trying to figure out how to afford another big bottle.

Then five minutes or so in, *ouch*. Horrid burning red welt on my wrist. First time it's happened to me with a BPAL oil, although I've read about other folk having the problem. I had to go wash it off, stat.

*sigh* It smelled so nice, too.

I smell just like a fresh cinnamon stick! It's awesome! Only after awhile do I catch even the faintest whiff of greenery, but to me, this smells very much like a holiday scent, so warm and comforting. Yum!

This is definitely full of cinnamon, but not the cinnamon that one typically bakes with...it's what I would imagine cinnamon bark might be like. I got the faintest hint of soft grasses in the background, with a slight tinge of soapiness that while is not unpleasant, is also not quite me.

Ooh, this is absolutely beautiful!

Interestingly enough, ny nose did not detect any woods or moss in this blend. On my skin, it turns into a spicy herbal scent with just a hint of floral notes.

Cinnamon is the most prominent spice and now that people are mentioning it, I can smel the nutmeg as well.

Hamadryad is a bright, fresh, happy scent that reminds me of the great outdoors. This is the smell of reaching an alpine meadow covered in flowers after a nice summer hike.

This is gorgeous and very refreshing. A definite keeper! :P

Oh boy. First review. Here we go.

In the vial: It says to me FLORAL! And that's about all it says. Rats.

On the wrists: I get a little tingle which makes me hold my breath; I have sensitive skin, and I've heard about what cinnamon oil can do. But it passes. It still smells very floral. There's a little kick of cinnamon, and I think a hint of cedar, but mostly FLORAL!

Hmmm. I was hoping for something a little more woodsy and a little less FLORAL! I like it, I think, but I'm not feeling the call of the big bottle. I'll probably keep trying my imp until I use it up deciding.

ETA: Wow, it's already faded to a very soft floral. I can't smell the cinnamon at all anymore. I even tried to use more this time. Ah, well.

Edited by everstar

Hamadryad

Swiped across wrists and along collarbone.

Initial Wet (8-8:30am): Oh, this is nummy. Warm, woodsy, cinnamony goodness. This goes straight to the Big Bottle List.

Initial Dry (8:30-10am): This is utterly gorgeous. I should have slathered much more on – but I tend to be a bit stingy when it comes to imps, being that I want them to last forever. *giggles*

Oh, what a wonderful Friday scent.

Throughout the Day (10am-1pm): This fades way too quickly, as it is nearly undetectable in the air around me. Must slather next time … must order Big Bottle!

Other sadness … my skin smells like powder. :D Oh well, still going on Big Bottle List. :P

It smells like walking in a park/forest in the Springtime after a light rain and all the greenery is opening up and perfuming the air.

It's gentle and powerful and refreshing. It's one of the ones that has me repeatedly sniffing my arm.

For sure a 5ml bottle as the imp is half gone because I made a couple of massage bars with it tonite.

Bella

Hamadryad is lovely, but it doesn't work for me, in a strange way. It crosses my wires and screws with my synaesthesia.

See, in my brain, things can't be both red and green at the same time, and Hamadryad attempts just that. It is green and clean and woody, but at the same time, red and spicy and cinnamony. So although I like it, it upsets something in my noodle and makes me scowl every time I smell it. Weird, eh?

Since it hurts to sniff it, it is hard for me to describe, other than that it is both red and green, cool evergreen but red hot, outdoorsy but kitcheny, elusive and tricksy. It smells very rich and enveloping, like breaking through a circle of trees to see what's in the clearing. It is confusing and natural and warm and distant. For me, it is a scent of opposites, a very unique combination that I simply can't wear.

And yet it's lovely.

I was really anxious to try this one, since I love fall-ish, woodsy scents.

For the first few hours, I smell like a giant cinnamon stick, and nothing else. Now, I like a hint of cinnamon, but this is a bit much.

Finally, the cinnamon recedes and I smell exactly like dry leaves crunching under one's feet. This part, I love. I haven't decided if I want to endure the first phase to get to this, though. I never get a floral scent, which is fine by me.

In the bottle: Hamadryad smells like light flowers and nutmeg.

On my wrist: It is pure, sweet red hots. Delicious cinnamon!

Drydown: The cinnamon seems to blend with ginger. The scent of red hots is still strong but it has a natural sweetness rather than any tinge of artificiality.

I enjoyed Hamadryad immensely because I love cinnamon and this had the staying power that Chimera does not. Hamadryad remained strong for an hour or so and settled into a vaguley cinnamony sweetness that lasted throughout the day.

Wow, this one smells -exactly- like a soft green forest to me, complete with slight moss and flower accents. I mean exactly- you know how you smell after you've been picnicking or hiking in the woods all day, and you come in and think "Wow, I still smell like outside"? It's just like that.

I'm totally missing the cinnamon element other people mentioned, which is good because I think that would go oddly with the rest of the notes. Overall, Hamadryad would make an awesome room scent or linen spray, but I can't see myself wanting to smell like a forest! This one's getting gifted.

-Rae

IN THE BOTTLE: I'm getting worse and worse at being able to place any specific notes as I smell the bottle, just more of a "I like it" or "I don't like it" vibe ... and this was definitely an "I like it" vibe.

Applied to wrists and crooks of arm.

WET: This is exactly all the notes it says it is and if that makes it sound busy, you're right! It is delicious and spicy and flowery and green all at once ... I can definitely see the Flowertub comparisons which have abounded here. There is also something somehow elegant and sophisticated about it, though ... a real "perfume" perfume. I keep thinking maybe something my mom wore? And there is something very familiar and reminiscent of my teens but I can't place it.

DRYDOWN: As soon as the drydown begins, the cinnamon and nutmeg rise to the top which is great (they are always somehow base notes for me). I smell briefly like a fruitcake (not that I have not been called that before).

This is a great scent ... VERY strong, be forewarned. And because of that it is probably not something that would be an everyday scent for me ... it's constantly reminding me that it's there.

I did figure out what it reminds me of ... don't laugh but it definitely is reminiscent, to me at least, of Charlie. And while that may turn some people off, Charlie was the first cologne I wore when I started "growing up" and feeling like an occasional teenager with eclat, maybe when I was 14 or 15 (before I discovered Andiamo).

EDITING THIS A FEW MONTHS LATER ...

Going through my stash and trying to cull it down to scents I know I will wear regularly and scents that I can put in a very nice one-time-only swap bonanza list and decided I hadn't tried this since the first time, a 5 ML AND an imp notwithstanding, so I gave it a second go ...

I think the Flowertub/Gavarnie comps should have been a warning for me. I like the list of notes in both but I don't particularly like the combination. This time I got NONE of the cinnamon nutmeg, which were the notes that most attracted to me ... but again my first sense was "adult lady department store perfume" ... not the kind they spray all over you if you're not diligent (to be honest, Emblaming Fluid always had that vibe for me) but rather the kind they probably keep tucked away because it is too expensive and sophisticated to spray all over the teenyboppers roaming the aisles.

I still get some Charlie vibe (I wish I knew which note that was) ... but truly I don't think I will wear this again. And since it is quite popular, it shall go in the swap closet and find a new home in March or April.

This is actually only the sixth 5 ML I've ordered unsniffed that didn't work for me ... with a box full of more than 20, that's a pretty impressive record (the others, if you care, were Sudha Segara -- too light, liked the actual scent, wish it had more bite; Rakshasa; Samhain, Snow White and Skadi and I don't really count the LEs because they're, well, LEs ... PLUS the Skadi was a swap for the Snow White so maybe it only counts for 5???)

Edited by JazzieCazzie

Oh my God.

I really don't even know where to start. This is the only BPAL oil that I've tried that immediately made my eyes roll back in my head, and just keeps getting better and better.

Sweet mother of mercy...this is the cinnamon scent I've been searching for my entire life. No, really. I try every single cinnamon scent that I come across, and I'm always disappointed. They usually smell like Big Red.

Hamadryad smells like dry, woody cinnamon. It smells like a cinnamon stick. It smells like Christmas. It started out soft on my skin and just keeps getting stronger and stronger. This is everything that I loved about The World without the pencil-shaving note that I get from that oil.

Oh GOD. This is the greatest thing I've ever smelled. I am buying a big bottle immediately.

Edit 3/10/07 -- I just got a frimp of Hamadryad in my latest order, and yep, it smells just like a Wint-O-Green Lifesaver :P. I'd heard about the mysterious wintergreen Hamadryad but had yet to experience it. Now I have. The wintergreen does chill out eventually (after about ten minutes of "HELLO I AM WINTERGREEN BOOYAH!!!" and I get a hint of woods underneath it, but it's still mostly just soft wintergreen. It doesn't smell anything like the Hamadryad that I fell in love with. I understand that this is probably batch variation and that the Lab has said that Hamadryad was always minty (so the cinnamon version was probably the aberration), but I am so glad that I have my cinnamon-scented 5 mL.