Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
asa805

Red Moon 2004

... Our blend for this Moon mixes traditional lunar oils with the warmth of amber and heliotrope, the russet haze of dragon's blood resin and crushed orange peel, and a swirl of summertime herbs: chamomile, rue, elder flower and marigold.

I like Red Moon a lot. It starts off like cherry syrup (real cherries, not fake cherries) and that immediately fades as it dries. I don't know why, but I get a strong honey and honeysuckle smell when it hits my skin. Like Shollin said, this is a very red perfume. I feel like it's got a red base (the dragon's blood and amber) and a translucent golden top with a lot of throw (the honeysuckle/honey/golden floral type smell that I get).

It sounds silly, but I'm finding Red Moon to be really comforting for when I'm having my period. A lot of things smell "off" during that week, and this smells lovely. I also like wearing something called Red Moon for that purpose - just seems to appropriate.

Red Moon

In bottle: Cherries and oranges with a hint of amber.

Wet: the orange fades a bit and the amber comes on a bit stronger

Dry: An indistinct, ripe, fruity scent (this must be the Dragon's Blood...this is my first experience with it). I can also smell the orange and a hint of amber and herbs. Wonderful!

After 4 hours: the fruity notes have faded, leaving behind lovely floral and herbal notes. A very different scent, but still wonderful! I'm so glad I ordered this!

This is a beautiful scent! :P Im so glad I have it and its terrible that it is a limited edition. Perhaps maybe we could cast a vote to have this one made permanent. On me it a cool crisp scent, a distant cousin of Old Venice. I get the floral and amber real good. It sweet and soothing. Another materpiece!! :D

Whenever I make chamomile tea with honey I hold my cup under my nose and inhale while I'm waiting for it to cool. It is marvelously calming. If I could fall into that teacup, and be enveloped by the warm sweetness of it it would be just like wearing Red Moon.

at first: there is so much going on here. it definitely smells like the end of summer. it's sweet, heavily floral, and a bit herby. i like this one a lot.

on: fruity, too...like apple and pomegranate.

1.5 hours later: sweeter, definitely a late summer / almost autumn scent. just very spicy and fruity, with tons of vibrant gold and red flowers tossed in. lovely.

6.5 hours later: this has lasted pretty well. it's mostly spicy now, though, with flowers and a bit of fruit in the background. still very nice.

overall: this is just perfect for the end of summer / beginning of fall. floral, fruity, and spicy. i really like this one.

There is little I can add to the wonderfully detailed descriptions that have been posted before!

On me, Red Moon turns fairly sweet and spicy. It is rather similar to Dragon's Milk, only more complex and layered. Since Dragon's Milk is hands down my absolute favourite BPAL, it goes without saying that I *love* Red Moon!

I will savour this nectar until the last drop! Wearing it makes me feel all special and magical, exactly what I need to welcome the new and full moons. Yet another masterpiece. Well done, Beth! :P

In bottle: Weakly cherry-like.

On me: Herby spicy fruit. Dragonsblood makes me think of a sweet sticky fruit juice and mingling with marigold, chamomile and orange peel gives it a scent that reminds me of cough medicine. Cherryberry with something medicinal lingering beneath it. It definitely smells red.

I am SO pleased with Red Moon.

I knew from its description (and from reading all of the reviews) that I would love it, and I do.

Dragon's blood is awlays a good thing, and adding marigolds and chamomile can only make it even better.

Marigolds were such a brilliant choice to put in this late summer oil, as they always signify the end of summer to me. Bright, calming, deep...very red-orange-rust.

I love it.

At first sniff, this gives me the impression of a dry, sweet red wine. Now, I bought this partially because of the name and the description .. nevermind the notes in it. But having amber in it, I had to get some. I don't really smell any in it out of the bottle .. but amber's a funny thing. It does seem to have the somewhat sour pithy part of an orange in it though, something just barely bitter. And it's a good smell.

Word of warning .. this -will- stain your clothes. I really think I dislike the reducer caps, because this dribbled all down my wrist and had to be wiped off .. with a white shirt. Grr. but at least my shirt will smell good, right? And that smell is decidedly dry and crackly now .. not quite like Scarecrow though. More of a fruity dryness .. or perhaps a smoky fruitiness. It does seem, after a minute or two, to get more sotty/smoky. Not at all a bad thing. It's the dragon's blood I'm smelling I think ... it reminds me a little of dragon's heart. I'm not getting amber in this yet at all .. but I'm not worried. I love this just the same.

Mm. It's not an overpowering amber at all, at least not yet, but this scent is warm and lovely on me. Still somewhat smoky, but more like the reddish haze of smoldering embers and the blackish soot and smoke after a fire's been put out. This is a warm, living smoke rather than a cool, dead one. Yum yum yum yum yum!

This scent is so complex that I couldn't pick out the individual nots. It's so enigmatic, kind of floral, but spicy. It's a mystery. I like it, not as much as the other LE's, but I have the feeling that this is an oil that needs to be appreciated in its own time. I'll try it again some other time.

in the bottle: Gummy bears! EEEEE!! :P

on my skin: OH YES. Heady, hypnotic, velvety, tangy dragon's blood with yummy fruity flavors. Tart, red, juicy, currant-y fruity flavors. The amber and heliotrope are divine in the mix. This is just too delicious.:D:yum::D

First sniff:

Cherry? I don't remember there being any cherry in the description. I guess it must be the dragon's blood I'm smelling, but it smells like cheap cherry bubblegum. At the moment, that's all that I can smell. :P

Wet on skin:

Still cherry. It reminds me of some sort of cheap gum I used to get on Halloween...the kind that was always so hard you'd chip a tooth on it. I'm sure someone else might enjoy this, but I'm not a big fan of cherry as a fragrance. It's a bit too cloying for me, personally, but I'll wait it out and see what comes of it.

Dry down:

There's some flowers starting to peek out, but that doesn't help matters much. The cherry bubblegum smell is still overlying everything and making me faintly sick, this is definitely not a scent for me, sad to say. I don't know why, but dragon's blood seems to be a hit or miss scent with me. Either it works beautifully or it turns into something horrendous and this seems to fall into the latter category.

The bottom line:

I wanted to like it, it sounded lovely, but I can't wear it so it's off to swaps with it. Hopefully someone else will get some use out of it. :D

Mmm...red and warm. I can smell the sharp citrus at first, but on my skin it mellows down. The dragon's blood (which sometimes hates me) has a sweet edge but not too sweet here and is curling up on my pulse points like an old friend. I've had a long day at work, and came home to find this waiting from Allamanda :P It's mingling with my own skin scent and blending into something warm and cosy and 'perfumey'. By that, I think I mean that scent that sits just right on your skin and that has earned the term 'perfume'. Some scents, even BPAL, are just lovely scents. This on me, is Perfume. *sigh* I love my little imp of this. A favourite I think.

Red Moon

Wet

Oh my. I smell orange amber and heliotrope primarily, the dragon’s blood herbs and flowers fall underneath.

It’s close to the ever perfect “Seraglio” with that wonderful spiced orange smell but it’s a little brighter.

5 minutes

The herbs and flowers are now coming to the forefront and the orange amber and heliotrope are in the back.

20 minutes

All the ingredients are blended nicely together so that nothing sticks out. Just orange, sweet floral and herbs.

Very Nice. It's sexy and scrummy at the same time. If this was for regular sale I’d buy a 10ml if I could.

For some reason I don't get any fruit with my red moon at all. I am sort of glad about that, since I went on a cherry buying BPAL binge.

I really do love this. The amber in this blend is very subtle and stays in the background a lot more than other blends with amber in it. Wet, it has sort of a dragon's blood, ambery floral smell to it. The florals go away on me as it drys and after a few hours I am left with a nice, sweet, soft amber.

That being said, for some reason this one doesn't have a lot of throw on me and it is very, very subtle. Probably a little too subtle for me, but I tend to like pretty loud scents.

It is also very pretty without being girly in the least, and I have gotten a ton of compliments on it. This one is second only to Blue Moon in all of the lunar oils that I have tried so far.

Initial Impression:

Bright, citrusy overtones over something warm and deeper.

After Wearing It:

I've been meaning to review this oil for ages, but have sadly fallen out of my old reviewing routine and keep forgetting to review what I wear. But I'm trying to catch up on a few now, so bear in mine my impressions here aren't quite fresh!

In the wet and the drying phase of this oil, Red moon smells sweltering. It's the very portrait of August, in that it's the scent of the heat of summer at its zenith: that oppressive baking feeling in the air that manages to somehow feel both humid and arid simultaneously. It smells strong, majestic and powerful; a scent colored in tones of rust and orange. In this stage, the dragon's blood and amber are very prominent, enhancing the heated aura of the fragrance and adding a metallic, bloodied quality to red moon. There's also a fine thread of orange running through the scent, which was the only fruity note I experience during the life of the fragrance.

After an hour and a half or so, the heat of the oil starts to wane, moving away away from oppressively hot and toward pleasantly warm. The dragon blood in particular mutes itself as the sweeter notes rise to the top. The heliotrope and chamomile blend with the amber to give Red Moon a new warm, sweet and almost bubbly quality that's gorgeous.

Final Thoughts:

The fragrance lasts a good long time on me (at least 10 hours) and has a decent amount of throw. It's just a lovely scent from start to finish and it so wonderfully captures the end of summer: the heatstroke rending conditions of its last push to the slow decline in temperature before we are released to the relief of autumn. So lovely & unique, I'm glad I got a 10ml of this one!

Red Moon

The first whiff of Red Moon is warm, sweet marigold. This smells warm, sunny, and red. My first thought is that it reminds me of the color of light behind your eyes when you look up at the sun through closed eye-lids. Warm, warm, sweet, and summery. Once I put it on, the dragon's blood jumps out and takes the marigold for a happy little dance. It mingles and turns it to a sweet, almost syrupy, red floral. The smell of it matches the color of the oil to a tea. Also, it mixes deliciously with Dragonfly Blue's Sugar & Spice.

In the bottle...fruity w/ something kind of "sour" in the back ground.

wet: fruity floral

dry: mostly dragon's blood w/ some spice. Very very red. Gorgeous there is a slight slight floral hint in the background and no sour smell at all. Adore this one!

In the bottle and when first applied, I absolutely loved this! I can smell the rich, juicy dragon's blood and golden, spicey notes. This is much "warmer" than I would have expected from a moon blend. Yummy!

Unfortunately, after a few hours, this faded down to nothing but florals!! Where did my dragon's blood and spices go? I'm not liking this stage of the scent much at all.

If this had stayed true to what it smelled like initially, it would be one of my absolute favorites. I adore dragon's blood. But I just don't like the final floral outcome on this. I'll have to try it again in a week or so to see if it behaves any differently, but I have a sinking fear that it won't. Oh Red Moon, it could have been love... :P

Initial Sniff: This is a truly RED scent. It smells of late summer florals in a deep swirling pool of thick golden red notes (dragon's blood and amber) and those mysterious cool lunar oils. Abso-frickin-lutely gorgeous.

Wearing: The orange comes out to play once this is on my skin, but the florals are still there. The amber and dragon's blood really warm this scent up and add a beautiful sweetness. This has great staying power.

Final Impressions: I wasn't worried when I ordered this, because it contains several notes that nearly always work well with my chemistry. However, Red Moon has exceeded all of my expectations. It is one I reach for over and over again. Definitely my favorite of the lunar oils! :P

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Velvet. :D

In the bottle, sweet and fruity, almost wine-like, with something that tickles the back of my nose as I sniff.

Wearing, wet I get cherry wine, but as it dries...

The dragon's blood is wonderful, spicy and sweet. The orange peel adds a fruity, yet bitter quality, and the herbs, mmm... I can smell the chamomille, it is apple sweet, and the other herbs are adding a depth of green to this. I can smell a floral hinting in the background but it is very subtle, heliotrope or marigold? I think it is the heliotrope, as it doesn't smell of marigolds to me. I'm not sure if the soft note I smell is amber, as I haven't smelled amber in anything yet. It is powdery and gentle, a wisp of a scent bringing everything together.

Love this one, why is it a LE? (Is there a hands wringing in despair smiley?)

:P

Edited by Finny

From the description, I really, really wanted to like Red Moon.

Sadly, the combination just didn't work on my skin.

At first, it was very similar to Siren, in that it smelled only of Hawaiian Punch on me.

After that, it faded down to a sweet, somewhat spicy orange, but really wasn't anything I could see myself wearing in the future.

I think Red Moon may be the only blend with dragon's blood that I can wear. I can smell amber and herbs mostly, and some mystery florals. It's very pretty, and very "red". It's a shame I can't really describe it better than this because I'm not really giving it the credit it deserves.

I admit, I'm dubious about floral scents, even 'herbal flower' scents, as a lot of them turn to pure nose-rawing ick on me. But since Dragon's Blood loves me, amber loves me, and most spices seem to love me, I decided to take the chance.

...and oooo, am I ever glad I did...

First sniff: Tart, with a sharp sweetness under it. Something green-apple-y. I can taste more than smell the faint orange-y undertone, and the wonderful scent of the Dragon's Blood and amber mixed in there make me purr.

On application: Even richer on application, the herbals pop out nicely when they hit my skin, and the tartness is very crisp and lovely. While I tend more toward the creamier undertones as a general rule, I'm loving this as a potential summer scent. I feel warmer even as I'm putting it on.

After drydown: Some kind of cherry-berry wine with heavy spice, the last furious life of late summer flora, and something rich with that faint sharpness all duel for attention. On my wrist, the herbs come out more, but the bit I put in my cleavage is slightly fruitier and tart-sweeter, which makes me think it will be even more delicious when it's summertime. I keep thinking of woods and picnics, late night heat with that last edge of summer clinging.

This one shifts subtly on me, and the more I sniff at it, the more the complexities all show up and slather me in their loveliness. I adore this one. I may save it for warmer weather, but it's so yummy that I don't want to wait! It's red, but a rich red, the red of the setting sun in the heat.

I was lucky enough to get a bottle of Red Moon in a swap with Nadirah :P . It was iffy right out of the bottle, a little too fruity for my fruit-hating skin and I wasn't sure what kind of fruit it was. Eventually, the cherry-berry aroma morphed into dragon's blood and there was a little bit of smoky spiciness behind it, at this point it was quite pleasant. It reminded me a lot of King of Spades. But when Red Moon dried down completely, the base was quite unpleasant. I think I just don't get on with the "traditional lunar oils" as this is the third Lunacy blend I've tried (Harvest Moon and Cold Moon being the other two) and they all do this to me at the end. Now I'm second-guessing my Chaste Moon order :D . I need to let my girlfriend try this and if she doesn't like it I'll be swapping it.