Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Description (from Diabolus)

Our olfactory tribute to the film genre: a dark, moody, brooding scent that embodies moral ambiguity, alienation, and soul-wrenching cynicism. A complex, seamy blend of Lily of the Valley, opoponax, myrrh, black rose and plum with a slithering twist of clove, deep plum and star jasmine.

Initial Scent

This smells dark and thick in the vial: the lily of the valley is a most unexpected note. I was sure that there was patchouli in there, but I'm not that familiar with myrrh so that could be what I was smelling.

On wearing

This is the longest-lasting of all the perfumes I've tried. Just a small amount is still very distinctly smellable by the end of a day at work. It's a captivating and mysterious scent, and extremely elegant. It want to be associated with a long flowing black evening gown and a glass of something strong.

I have to agree with Clephan i could have sworn i smelled patchoulli as soon as i put this one but alas its not listed as an ingredient oddly enough... But this is a very pleasent scent, very slightly floral... and at least on me really earthy with a little spicyness to it. Its dark and hazy and a total keeper

Wow, it's amazing how much individual chemistries change the effects of the same scent. On me, this is VERY light, VERY soft, not at all dark or deep like the others described. It's lovely, I can detect just the faintest tinge of rose with something softly spicy/powdery (maybe the myrrh?). On me, I think this is one of those scents that I will be able to smell on myself but nobody around me would be able to pick up the scent.

I'm more like twistygirl's version. I just put it on and there was a wonderful spiciness and powderyness and a darkness. It totally fulfills all the description and it's strange...I usually really like sweet things, but this works for me and it's not flowery or sugary at all and I adore it.

Very mysterious. Very sexy. Very adult. This is not like anything post 40's. I can't even imagine a woman wearing this after WWII.

Oh I so wanted to love this the description made it seem lovely. However on me this just doesn't work out at all. It smelled like a cross between musty old perfume and dust. There was NO sweetness at all, the lily was non existant. It did invoke the genre but it most definitely does not agree with me. It has huge staying power though...I washed it off a couple of hours ago and it still can be smelt. Bleah :P

Maaan, I wish I could wear spicy scents. Noir smelled almost licorice-y on me. Very strong at first, but the dry down calmed it down.

This one is as dark and brooding and described - sure would be fun to be that person for a little while! I certainly wouldn't mind being around someone that could wear this - its beautiful - its just not me. Phooey.

the cloves and myrrh and plum interact so wonderfully, and there's just a hint of the flowers. it's a dark, elegant, subtlely seductive scent.

love it!

Initial Impression:

A very dark floral. Almost bitter in a way that suggest cynacism.

After Wearing It:

Throughout the life of this perfume, jasmine was the prominent note, though different back notes stepped up and changed the way the jasmine was interpretted at different moments. When I first put it on, the myrrh, clove and esp. the opoponax shaped the jasmine into something very dark and more than a little bitter. It felt thorny, but elegant, like barbed wire twisted around a bolt of fine silk. Later the opoponax backs off, and the plum takes it's place producing a very rich, spiced jasmine with a twist of juiciness to it. Towards the end of the day, the jasmine was very sweet and powdery, retaining the plummy note but not as dark as it was earlier in the day.

All and all this fragrance is very lovely and multifaceted. It's elegant, sophisticated and biting. It's a wry, self-satisfied smirk. It broods, but it enjoys it. Bitterness suits her, it makes her feel oddly enlightened and real.

Final Thoughts:

This first time I wore this, I wasn't feeling very receptive and was pretty busy so I didn't pay much mind to it. But Noir really won me over the second time around. I love the feel of it, the attitude, its imagery. A great jasmine scent for anyone who doesn't like frilly florals.

First Impression: Whoa, this one is deep. This is not your springtime morning fragrance.

Second Impression: The name does this justice. Noir is perfect for a late night seduction. Hot and deep and spicy sweet flowers.

Final Analysis: This is forever going to be my grown up night time fragrance. I can see myself all decked out in a sexy black outfit walking along the deck of a cruise ship with the wind blowing this scent all around me..."who is that gorgeous smelling woman?" as I walk by.

well this is an interesting one. in the bottle it smelled very dark and sharp to me. on it was totally different. I swear it was like Dr. Pepper, without the incredible sweetness. it was slightly sweet and fizzy, like soda pop. after a while the fizziness faded away and it was like not so sweet, flat cola. interesting, but I really like it.

I loved the description of this, but there's a sharp/bitter note in it that overpowers everything else for me. It calmed down a little after a while, but I still felt like I wasn't sophisticated enough to wear it, somehow - like trying to dress up in some 40s femme fatale's clothes and looking silly. Ah well.

Edited to add: I kept the imp, I've tried it a few more times, and Noir's bitterness has grown on me. It smells glamorously cynical. It's still more sophisticated than I am, but I can wear it now.

(And since it's been discontinued, I'll have to ration out my mostly-full imp, so I'm glad it's not an everyday scent...)

Edited by isyche

In the bottle: Mmm, this is thick, spicy and lush. I like it!

Wet: Ew! This smells like an old man's cologne. I barely put any on and it's overpowering. This smells like someone's Grandpa.

Drying: Grandpa has entered a head shop. Old man's cologne with some insence, something earthy. A different scent, but still just as strong.

Dry, later: Good god, this scent won't calm down on me. It's practically screaming.

Another scent off to trade. Lovely in the bottle, but my body chemistry changes it into something much too sharp, much too loud.

See now I could have sworn this scent was heavy with Sandalwood. I can detect some of the hints listed, but I REALLY smell Sandalwood. Someone else mentioned Patchouli... and I can smell that, too. So strange.

Either way... I love it - wet, and dry. For me, this is a very underrated scent. And it just moved into my top 10 favorites with a resounding *SQUEE* of joy!

-Leslie

MissAnthropy, I smell sandalwood too! I like Noir a lot, but not quite as much as Old Morocco. The spices and soft sandalwood in Old Morocco hit me just right, but Noir is another great scent I enjoy in cooler weather.

Noir

Incensey and woody when first applied then sweetened with plum, rose and lily of the valley.

Once dry I can just smell the clove, but other than that this barely changes from first application to drydown.

I love incense, love the smell of plum and adore this fragrance. This isn't heavy on me and not powdery either, just very deep and elegant.

Edited by allamanda

This is one beautiful, elegant scent - floral without being sweet or powdery, overlying a strong base of deep, woody notes which creates a decadent whole.

First on, there's a hint of something almost like leather in there - dry, spicy and oily. This lady draws herself up tall and smokes using one of those cigarette holders. She is incredibly self-assured.

Later on, she relaxes a bit - she is wistful and softer, drooping a little more towards vulnerability, but she still retains that dagger in her eye, daring you to suggest otherwise.

It stays incredibly well, and is a real special occasion scent when a confidence boost is needed.

The lab threw this in as a freebee, and boy, was I happy with that!

This starts out nice, flowery and pleasantly powdery. The first hit of Lilies of the Valley remind me of that soap, Vinolia.

This is jasmine with a fruity edge now, sweet and sophisticated, but assuredly not open or merry.

With Noir on I feel sexy and classy, but in a retiring, subdued way -but not shy! I sit erect with arched brows, coldly amused and wary like a Hitchcock blonde. How do I explain the way it makes me feel properly? It's like I closes the circle around me very tightly, as if my presence retreats to my body alone.

This may sound like I don't like this, but I do: I'm confident and poised, cool and hot at once. I adore this clovy rose jasmine, I love it, and it's a shame it's not available anymore because I gladly would have bought a 10ml bottle.

In bottle: Spicy wood. I can't make out any florals or fruit, but I assume that is what is sweetening this fragrance, which isn't as dark as I usually find cloves and myrrh.

On me: Generally I like plum, so I was hoping it would be strong and lovely in this fragrance. But alas, no plum. No fruit at all. This is quite faint on me, but I can detect the cloves and myrrh. Jasmine is usually overwhelming on me but in this blend I can hardly detect it. This feels very warm to me, but it's fading so quickly. Going....going...after only an hour it's gone.

Silverangel was so sweet to decant an imp of Noir for me in a swap, it was from her precious stash. I have had it on my wish list since I joined the forum and was just about to order it when it was discontinued, so I was really thrilled to get a chance to try it. I was a little worried about the rose and jasmine, but I haven't really noticed them at all in this blend, although I'm sure they are providing a little bit of sweetness. What I mostly get is clove (yay!), myrrh (double yay!) and possibly the plum, but it is so little that this blend is in no way fruity. Myrrh always works really well on me and it did not fail me with Noir, it made it smokey, sexy and dark. It really fits the genre, as someone said above, it strikes me as a pre WWII perfume. The only problem I have with it is that it doesn't last very long on me, I'm jealous of the person above who mentioned it lasted all day. It was pretty much gone in an hour. :P

from Randomness entry:

Extra special enabler thanks to Kimmer :D who sent me....

MY VERY FIRST BPAL OIL EVER :D

- which I received today and immediately put on...

Noir.

:D Beth, this is perfection. I'm in severe lust, and will rifle through my closet to find my 30's black/grey pencil skirt, and my fuzzy black sweater... will straighten my hair to Veronica Lake sleek, and will sniff myself all day.

First Sniff: very smoky, maybe the cloves.

Wet: Very light. lilies and cloves together. Not sure I'm going to like this as much as I'd hoped.

Dry: on drydown, Divinity. Dark alleys, Double Indemnity... I feel beautiful, and just a little sinister. I could do something naughty if crossed. The glorious light jasmine/lily smell is around me and only I smell the dark clove/myrrh combination. So I feel alluring but dangerous, like a snapdragon.

Wonderful. And so addictive. I wish there was more... :P

Ooooooooh. Grown-up, dark, expensive. I reminds me of pressed powder of a rather upmarket kind, possibly in an elegant 40's compact case. It makes me think of aunts and large houes full of expensive items. This is truely lovely. Smokey (myrrh) with a sweet undertone, a little like Masabakes (a favourite of mine) and cloves, another love. There's a hint of church incense too and along with the expensive make-up associations this makes me think of everything that was adult and elegant about the relatives of my childhood. This is the kind of scent that says 'adult' without being too old for me. I wish it weren't discontinued, as I think this would be a 5ml purchase for sure.

Edited by Lady Ravenglass

Noir

Preconceived notions: Dark, sensual, and elegant. It sounds like the perfect scent for me. Why is it discontinued? Oh, that’s right, one of the components is too hard to get. I can understand that *grumbles about unavailability of component*... Then, wait, you mean, people might actually be willing to swap this?

In the vial: Exactly as it promises - this is upscale, sassy, sophisticated, dark, with an underlying smouldering sexuality.

On me:

This smells exactly the way a particular perfume my mom had in a bottle shaped like a woman. I have no idea what the name of this perfume was, but this, on me, smells exactly like that. It was a velvety blue skirt (the bottle itself) with a screw off lid, and then a ceramic lady’s bust sat over it, conceiling the fact that it was a bottle. This, I swear, smells *exactly* the same - very dark, turbid, spicy, and yet classy and sophisitcated. This is for wearing at the Opera.

Over time:

There is no change to this scent on me - it just gets fainter.

Final impressions: This is the scent of an old, rich, evil woman bent on revenge. The classic evil Mother-in-Law. She wears the most elegant clothing, with the most regal air, and inside her, passion is thundering and seething. Without an outlet, it turns into anger. It is powerful, it is haughty, and it will get what it wants. A keeper, for sure.

Noir

The darling Silver Angel let me try some of this out today, so I'm writing down my review before I forget it.

First Impression

Smells dark. Very dark. And very well blended since I can't pick out any of the notes. The only thing that strikes me is that this is something very moody and very sensual smelling. Almost so sensual that it overwhelms someone unprepared for the scent of it.

Wearing It

This mellows out to something very thick smelling. It's almost gritty around the edges, and it's funny that I thought of it that way because when I came back and read the description and the notes I immediately thought, "Yes! It's gritty around the edges just like old Noir style films!" Amazing. Anyhow, I'm positive that a lot of the scent was lost on my skin, which doesn't really let the scent of plum grow and tends to overwhelm the scent of rose. But initially it started out smelling very smoky and incencey -- probably a contribution from the myrhh -- but not so much that I was turned off. Normally I'm very hesitant about incencey scents, but this one was very rich smelling and evoked the image of a deep, mysterious tarot reader's house rather than a cheap headshop. And then came the florals. I couldn't really distinguish which floral was which, but the florals and the smoke mingled very well. I can see why this was such a popular scent, and am glad to have tried it.