Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
dawndie

Lunar Eclipse

Red musk, black currant, violet leaf, wild frankincense, lavender, black orchid, Darjeeling tea, vetiver, red moss, myrrh, Moroccan spices, blackened fruit gums, and tobacco.

When this arrived two days ago with my most recent order, it was the scent that I was most scared of trying since in the bottle it smelled much too tobacco-like for me. I tried it for the first time this morning, though, and all of my fears were for naught!

On applying, the tobacco melts away into a dark, spicy scent that blends the frankincense, lavender, vetiver, and tea into a lovely, sexy scent. The richness of it reminds me a bit of Midnight Kiss, which is one of my favorite scents. Several hours later, it still has nice throw and wear. I really like it, and am so happy that my initial impressions were wrong!

ooh this is interesting. it kind of reminds me of black currant tea! i don't get any strong vetiver or moss in this. it's mostly just black currant, red musk and tea on my skin. very light and pretty, and a bit comforting. it reminds me of a softer version of a red tea perfume i have. i will definitely keep my imp of this and possibly hunt down a bottle.

Edited by theseagrows

i can barely smell this in the imp. :P it smells like vetiver though - but really tame, soft vetiver.

i put it on and it turns to vetiver, something fruity, a little bit of the tea. i recognize those fruit gums, even blackened :D yummy smelling, when i manage to get a whiff of them. but then this sharpness kicks in and it smells like it was poured over alcohol and something reminiscent of acetone. egh. i think the lavender is what's not doing it for me, which is disappointing since that was the one note i was worried about. it does remind me a lot of Dark Delicacies (which i love) like i thought it would... just.. if i was wearing it while some lady with sharp perfume was doing my nails. :D

i'll hold onto my decant anyway - maybe, hopefully, the lavender of death will go away in a few months, because there's this scent underneath all that is really good. but if not i guess i won't be too sad since i can get my delicious fruit gum fix elsewhere.

Edited by manusdei

I'm of 2 minds on this: it's pleasant enough once the cheap cigarette stench goes away, but I can't see myself using it very often.

Bottle: Ugh. This smells like my mom's house: stale smoke from cheap cigarettes.

Wet: Eew, stale cigarette still. As time passes (about 10-15 minutes), the stink dissipates, and it becomes a lightly citrusy-sweet smell.

Dry: Lightly herbal and fruity.

I'll probably decant myself an imp and sell the rest.

Gah! :P Curse you, vetiver! I thought I might be safe, given how far down the note list it was, but no. It bursts out and clobbers me, both in the vial and on my skin. It smells like limp celery and peanut butter at this stage.

However! That initial badness fades pretty quickly and the fruit comes out to play! It's a red, musky fruit which is also surprisingly light and airy. The tea and tobacco are there too, both playing nicely. This is so oddly light and pretty on me at this stage! Where in the heck did all that vetiver go? Not that I'm complaining about the loss...

Eventual drydown is a lovely, smoky fruit. I'm glad I was brave enough to skin test this after the initial whiff.

Yeah, um..... :P This is perfect.

I am typing with one hand because I can't drag my nose away from the slather-point.

I like vetiver, so I'm biased, but this scent is just fabulous!!

Vetiver is dominating so far, but backing it up is gorgeous tobacco, Snake Oil spices, and smooth musky myrrh incense. The more it dries down, the more the vetiver settles into the blend, and the more intoxcated I become.

Lunar Eclipse is an insanely dark tobacco and spice scent. I feel like to wear it, I'd have to be cautious about not slathering because it's so intense. I really can't stop sniffing at it, I'm completely entranced!

I love this. Beth, you are a Goddess!

5 out of 5

Gah, this is pure vetiver/tobacco on me. I love pretty much all of the other notes, especially the currant, but there is absolutely no sign of them in any stage. It's therefore a very masculine scent on me - I may try to pass my decant on to the boyfriend.

I'm trying SO hard to like it, but sadly, it stinks. On me, at least - I have two friends who absolutely adore it. Maybe if I roll the bottle better... hoping. hoping, hoping against hope.

Out of the bottle - ugh. Strong ashtray. Don't even want to try it on. The myrrh is killing me!

Wet - not much better.

Dry-down - has greatly mellowed; I can appreciate the complexity and it evokes memories of Icon from Lush (probably the myrrh or frankincense). But the wait isn't worth it and I'm too traumatized from the wet stage to be able to enjoy it. Plus too many people have asked me to wash it off.... not a good sign! LOL

MMMMM. There were a few notes in here that scared me, but my fears have been for nothing. This is a fabulous scent that's very reminiscent of Mme. Moriarty, but less intense and without the patchouli. It dries into a wonderful warm fruit-gummy smoke with spices. It smells like dark brown-red. Lovely!

(I'm still developing my nose and learning to pick out the different notes so this will be light on substance if you are looking for a detailed breakdown.)

I got my decant yesterday. I was worried that this would be a floral (especially with all the floral notes) or fruity scent. It isn't. I sniffed the imp and though "oh, well, ok. Gee, I've got a bottle of this on order?? Maybe I'll swap it". I know better than to make hasty in-the-imp decisions though.

I brought it home, gave it another sniff. It's......unusual. It has a hint of spice, of medicine and herbs and something else. I don't really smell fruit strongly. There is a bit of a 'sharpness', could this be the tobacco or blackened fruit gums?

On the skin and dry it is really nice! :P I can't put my finger on it but it's lovely. It's vaguely spicy but not in a head-shop kind of way. It's more sophisticated. It can be a good masculine scent or a good scent for a woman. I am glad I bought a bottle unsniffed before it came off sale. I'm debating if I need a backup bottle. I don't think it's my "Signature Scent" but it is very nice.

If you like scents along the lines of Alone or Satyr this might be one for you to try.

in the bottle very incense-y and sweet. i think this one's going to be a hit with me, except that there's something vaguely anise-like that i'm not sure about. we'll see how it does on the skin.

wet on skin no anise, but it's going straight to soap. :P

dry on skin oh, yuck. it smells like moldy food. and soap. oh, look. it's that anise-y smell again. this is so not a keeper.

Bottle: Masculine

Wet: I was looking forward to this one after the reviews, but this one just doesn't work for me, it's too dark and masculine.

Drydown: All I'm getting is frankincense and patchouli, or at least it smells like patchouli.

2.0 outta 5

I think it's the blackened fruit gums, which I equate to blackened teeth stumps, that makes this oil smell like the breath of someone who ate a bad bison burger, threw it up, put that in a ziploc baggie and left it in the sun for a week. It literally makes me catch my breath when I smell it. So I popped it up on eBay and now it shall have a new home with someone who appreciates bison burger vomit. But that person is not me. No offense to all who love it! I'm sure there's oils I love that someone else doesn't. :P

In the bottle: Ever sniff an ashtray?

Wet: Ashtray! With vetiver!

Drying: Ooh, that's better! The tobacco is backing off, the vetiver is calming in, and the musk and spices are coming up! Still, dark and bitter.

After ten minutes the sharpish-bitter scent fades and it really does become something very lovely as the fruits come out to brighten it up and calm the almost medicinal note of the moss and leaf and tea. It becomes something warm and red but with a 'power' to it. Like the moon, gone into eclipse.

Do I love this scent? After half an hour--no. Not yet anyhow. I do tend to love the dark and herb scents, though, so I'll ETA when I have more information.

In the bottle: 1st impression: Umm, yuck. What the hell is this? Maybe tobacco, something smokey and industrial.

After a few hours I decided to revisit the bottle: Hmmm, I didnt smell that before, its something spicey maybe.

On the skin: OMG this is so much better on the skin. Reminds me a bit of Pollution, but just a tinsy bit.

Its smokey, and herbally. Just a tad of sweetness. The more it sits on my skin the more beautiful it morphs. At first it seems like a unisex scent, but after about half an hour it really morphs into a female scent.

I'm really loving it.

Tobacco has ruined so many blends for me, and I can add Lunar Eclipse to that ever-growing list now. For the first half hour or so on my skin, this is all dirty, gritty tobacco. It makes me smell like I've rolled around in a used ashtray. Over time, a bit of fruitiness starts to peak out along with a bit of spice and what I think is the earthy vetiver. Still, it takes over an hour for the tobacco to fall to the background, and then the more subtle notes are fading as well.

:P I really wish that I could try this without the tobacco in it, but as it is, I definitely can't see myself wearing this again.

This is different(in the bottle), every time I take a whiff. Today it's mostly vetiver, which is what I think is causing the "stale cigarette/ashtray" thing for a few people because tobacco/tobacco leaf most definitely don't smell that way :P

Sweet berries with the light scent of damp earth. The tobacco is rich, adding depth and roundness. I tend to amp red musk like mad but in this blend it stays in the background adding just the right touch. Goes through a minty anise phase on and off then more of a spiced incense(yummy!). The other notes are harder to pick out individually but overall, on me, it's rich incense and spice with a hint of berries. Lovely!

This was a scent I was very excited about, but when I opened the bottle to sniff-- I was attacked by the evil vetiver and myrrh! GAH! It smelled like rancid peanut butter. I was so sacred to try it on my skin.

But I was so glad I did! It lightened in a currant, fruity, smoky tea and it's just wonderful. Now I am glad I have a bottle-- I just don't like the smell of it wet! This will teach me to always skin test. :P

First Impression: Very dry musk.

Dries down to: The musk settles down a bit and the tea and tobacco start to emerge but it's still dry and there's no florals or fruit at all. Then, it settles into something dry, dark and musty before totally fading away.

Additional comments: If any of the fruits or florals had made an appearance, I'd probably give this a chance but, alas, this is not a match for me, especially since it fades so quickly. It was gone within the hour. Hopefully, aging will help this blend.

Lasted: Less than an hour.

Rating: 1 out of 5

I wore it last night and loved it...it smells like fruity, musky tea...and not only does it have just the right throw, it lasted for hours! A lovely blend.

I glanced at this on the boards, and wasn't really considering it in favor of so many other scents - although I like a lot of the listed ingredients; then I tried it at willcall last night and it blew me away. The scent isn't in your face, but more of a nuance - it has an effervescent quality; although it doesn't smell like Longing or the Ecstasy of St. Theresa, I think there is a similarity.

Bottle: Soft scent with hints of fruit and vetiver

Wet: Fruit and hints of tea & vetiver, and something that gives it a sparkly feel - maybe the red musk - although it could be cinnamon or mint. The vetiver is the same as in Death of Autumn, but where DoA was strong with it, Eclipse has nuances of it. Almost like an afterglow.

Dry: The frankincense, myrrh & spices emerge here and the vetiver, while still there, is even softer. Still tea, fruit, mush and mint - mint is a Moroccan spice isn't it?! The final drydown is the frankincense and spices with hints of vetiver.

I LOVE this. :P I knew it when I tried it; the effervescent quality really hooks me as it did in the Ecstasy of St. Theresa and other scents. The contradiction of ethereal and earthy are at play in this perfume, bringing to mind the age-old fear associated with the power of the eclipse.

Edit - 10/14/09

Huge changes due to aging. Mine must have been from a newer batch; now, a year later its deep musk, smoke, incense, tobacco. Smoldering loveliness!

Edited by LunaClaire

Whoa... A very, very interesting and complex scent. At first sniff, my nose has no idea what to think of this. It's a wildly complex, paradoxical scent, and really hard to tell which way it'll go as it settles in. It's also hardly sweet at all, despite the various floral and fruity notes.

It seems more herbal than anything, with slightly sweet overtones but also a very strong dark undercurrent. The sort of scent you'd associate with some sort of possibly unsavoury magic. And there's a coldness to it as well, that definitely lends it a lunar feel -- though strangely, despite the fact that I usually really dislike the sort of cold, sharp, sweet scents that are traditionally regarded as lunar, I find myself kind of liking this one, or at least not hating it. It's also got a faintly aquatic feel, though again, I don't usually do well with aquatics, but this one's different.

Every time I sniff it, I get something different -- I can generalize that it's a dark scent and kind of bittersweet, but beyond that it varies wildly. Sometimes it's warm and sometimes cold, sometimes I get poisonous underworld fruit from it and sometimes dark florals and sometimes medicinal herbs and sometimes musky incense, or more commonly strange random mixtures of all of the above.

Definitely one of the most unusual and fascinating scents BPAL's ever created! I don't know that it's quite as pleasant as some -- some of the notes in it are a little bit bitter -- but it's definitely unique. It's next to impossible for me to give this one a grade, because sometimes I love it and sometimes the bitterness is just too much. So I think it will have to get a range instead....

Grade(s): D to A+ and back again, from one moment to the next

First of all I must mention that I've just taken up tea drinking. Therefore, the drydown section of Lunar Eclipse is not only WONDERFUL but also incredably frustrating - I want to drink my own arm. THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE!!

In the bottle: Tobacco, a fair amount of vetiver. Overall it's strong and quite off-putting. But I will persist.

Wet: Ohh, that's what everyone else means by "dusty". Yeah, I can see that. The vetiver's going from strong to pencilly. It's kind of like a darker, stronger Aziraphale (I havn't had much experience with cedar-y scents)

Drydown: The vetiver's finally faded away. First pops up this lovely, sweet, kind of redish smell. A little too sugary to just be red musk, although, out of all the musks, red is the one I tend to miss a lot. It reminded me severely of one of my first six imps, although I couldn't figure out which one (possibly Scherezade...maybe?) This was then replaced by straight up tea, which, ok - nom, but a little plain and boring.

Then? Spicey, fruit gummed tea. I love flavoured teas. And oh WOW, is this the best flavoured tea ever...AND I NO CAN HAS! :P

Luckily, this stage is lasting a fair long while, so, whilst I can't drink it, I do smell absolutely delish :D ...As long as I can survive the wet stage :D

In the vial: A deep scent, giving way to fruits and incense with a bright, heady after tone.

On skin: Cool fruits and floral tones mingles with a soft musk. Soft and pretty, but there's also a heady note hiding in amongst it all, adding a sharp, biting element whenever it comes to the surface. Altogether it puts me in mind of incense mingled with a soothing bath product. It's not a dark scent, but seems somewhat murky to my nose, lingering in the half-light of twilight.

~1 hour: The sharp incense note has now faded, leaving behind a much smoother, more unified scent. It's soft and powdery with a gentle warmth. No single note jumps out and comes forward, but instead all the components combine to create a delicate, slightly sweet, feminine blend.

However, though it's a pretty scent I'm not sure that it's really 'me'. On the one hand it seems a little too old for me, but at the same time there's something about it that keeps pulling me back for another sniff. I'm going to have to think about this one.